GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 15:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.
The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Jul 2018, 15:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:30) correct 46% (01:40) wrong based on 974 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

(A) used the information obtained to find evidence supporting

(B) used such information as they obtained to find evidence supporting

(C) used the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support

(D) of using the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support

(E) of using such information as they obtained to find evidence that would be supportive of

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/05/nyregion/tainted-evidence-murder-trial-to-open.html

Mr. Greenblatt charged afterward that he suspected the police of having illegally taped the confidential conversations and then used the information to seek evidence to support their murder charges.

OA is D, however I have concerns according of the answer (q. is form 1000sc), and here they are:
1) they? according to the oxford vocabulary POLICE is singular.
2) I think that USE should be parallel to TAPED because of THAN
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than used inf....
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than of using inf.. this one is sound like She first suspected of having... and than she suspected of using... .
Correct me if I am mistaken. Thanx.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

Originally posted by Ayrish on 31 Dec 2009, 05:26.
Last edited by hazelnut on 29 Jul 2018, 15:43, edited 3 times in total.
Official answer added.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2009, 09:57
Ayrish wrote:
774. The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

(D) of using the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support
(E) of using such information as they obtained to find evidence that would be supportive of

OA
is D, however I have concerns according of the answer (q. is form 1000sc),
and here they are:
1) they? according to the oxford vocabulary POLICE is singular.
2) I think that USE should be parallel to TAPED because of THAN
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than used inf....
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than of using inf.. this one is sound like She first suspected of having... and than she suspected of using... .
Correct me if I am mistaken. Thanx.

1) first police can be used as both singular and plural... look at nonunderlined portion ,it has 'their murder charges'.... so 'they' is correct

2) second llism is between the two actions of police... so using is llel to having....

3) third point. use of then is not abt her suspecting one thing after another... it is first illegally taping then using that info for using....

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

General Discussion
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2009, 09:43
IMO D.

To narrow down the choices, first look at 'of having'. Next, take out [illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client ]

She suspected the police 'of having'.. 'and then of using'. Of having and of using should be parallel.

Therefore, eliminate A,B,C.

Next, 'taped' is past tense. Look in D and E for past tense in regards to obtaining evidence so the two are parallel.

'they had obtained' is past tense.

Choose D.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2011, 10:37
indeed D is the right answer. Still, could someone explain why "of using" in this case have to be parallel to "of having" ?
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2011, 11:43
she suspected the police of having illegally taped her
she suspected the police of using the information

of having || of using
whichscore wrote:
indeed D is the right answer. Still, could someone explain why "of using" in this case have to be parallel to "of having" ?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2011, 23:53
Is that "the police" here should be considered a singular and B, C, D, E therefore should be all rejected?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2011, 05:22
Nope. Police is plural. Look at the un-underlined part at the end using a plural pronoun 'their'. You can not reject BCDE on that count. It is a test of //ism. D is the answer.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 10:39
whichscore wrote:
The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally
taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information
obtained to find evidence supporting
their murder charges.
(E) of using such information as they obtained to find evidence that would be supportive
of

The lawyer of defense suspected the police of two things:-
1) of having illegally taped her conversation
2) and of using the information for their use.
Option A, B and C are out.

We need 'the' before information as we are talking about a particular information. E is out

D is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 07:01
Top Contributor
There are three events in the issue.
1.The police were illegally taping the conversation. This is the first event.
2. Then they used it to bolster the oncoming murder charges. This is the second event.
3. The defense lawyer alleged about the two misdemeanors of the police. This is the third event.
Whether she is still suspecting it is not germane to the issue. The police actions are indeed the two earlier cited illegal taping of the private conversation and wrongfully using dialogue to find evidence for their murder charges.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 07:51
daagh wrote:
There are three events in the issue.
1.The police were illegally taping the conversation. This is the first event.
2. Then they used it to bolster the oncoming murder charges. This is the second event.
3. The defense lawyer alleged about the two misdemeanors of the police. This is the third event.
Whether she is still suspecting it is not germane to the issue. The police actions are indeed the two earlier cited illegal taping of the private conversation and wrongfully using dialogue to find evidence for their murder charges.

Thank you for your response. My concern is that we don't know whether the police action in 1. & 2. has taken place. She is suspecting that the police has done so. It may or may not be so. Can we use had in such a case?

Regards
Manish
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 08:20
Top Contributor
Dear Manish
In this Sentence Correction and our issue is whether the taping and evidencing were done earlier than suspecting and charging. If the phrase 'having taped and used' points to the earlierness of the event, then we should be happy to use 'had.' If we doubt whether action one and two were ever done by the police, that debate will be part of critical reasoning
daagh

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 15:09
IMO OA is D

The lawyer suspected about police that
1) have illegally taped
2) used the information to find evidence

-> So we have to use 'of~'. A,B,C is out

Between D and E, D is correct.

In E, there is only 'they obtained'. Obtaining tape was happened before when lawyer suspected.
In D, however, I can see 'had obtained'. So D is more clear.
So I chose D.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 07:14
HG0815 wrote:
IMO OA is D

1) have illegally taped

In E, there is only 'they obtained'. Obtaining tape was happened before when lawyer suspected.
So I chose D.

You have not considered the case that "having" may cover "use" as well.

The lawyer suspected that police
1) have illegally taped
2) HAVE used the information to find evidence.

Thus "having taped and used" is alright, and option A, with your reasoning, cannot be eliminated.

Nonethless, the auxiliary verbal "having" cannot cover both "taped" and "used" because "having" is used to depict completion of an action before another action is taken up. If "having" covers both "taped" and "used", then there is no third action that followed the completion of these two events. "Having" can cover ONLY "taped", in which case, "using" is the following action.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 23:17
sayantanc2k wrote:
HG0815 wrote:
IMO OA is D

1) have illegally taped

So I chose D.

1) have illegally taped

Thus "having taped and used" is alright, and option A, with your reasoning, cannot be eliminated.

Nonethless, the auxiliary verbal "having" cannot cover both "taped" and "used" because "having" is used to depict completion of an action before another action is taken up. If "having" covers both "taped" and "used", then there is no third action that followed the completion of these two events. "Having" can cover ONLY "taped", in which case, "using" is the following action.

i think that it is good to use "having taped and used' because these two actions happen before 'suppected'

so, why A is incorrect?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 07:12
of having taped and used

why used can not be parallel with taped? they are parallel and logic

pls, explain
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 23:11
sayantanc2k wrote:
HG0815 wrote:
IMO OA is D

1) have illegally taped

So I chose D.

1) have illegally taped

sayantanc2k

I am still not clear why can’t we use “having” as common to both “taped” and “used”. I didn’t understand the part “there is no third action following the completion of these two events”. Please help
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of ha &nbs [#permalink] 12 Aug 2018, 23:11

The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap