It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 19:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The steel industry has changed radically over the last two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 57

Re: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 23:23
daagh wrote:
Quote:
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

Reason why ‘that’ is required:

Let’s now split the sentence into the components.

1. The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades

2. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other ---subordinate clause one.
3. have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether. This clause is now dangling without proper conjugation with the subordinate clause.
Now we can see that the subject large integrated companies has two verbs namely, which is grammatically incorrect. This fault is fixed by turning the first subordinate clause into a relative noun and noun modifier, rendering ‘have ….” as the working verb for the subordinate clause. Without the 'that' , the subordinate clause will turn out to bea double - verbed fragment.

I don't see the subject 'large integrated companies' has two verbs... Why can't "conducted operations from mining at one......the other" works as past participle noun modifier modifyin the subject 'integrated companies...? Please help. Thanks. :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 57

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 00:41
atletikos wrote:
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated
companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of
the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down
altogether.

A. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel
B. as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
C. with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
D. while large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
E. and large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel

one of meaing error is meaning is not close. in an answer choice, the ideas are not closely related. choice E show this case. if choice e stand alone, it maybe be correct. but in this context, the meaning in b is close and is correct.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 92

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 09:07
Simply Superb.The sentences you provided completes removes my doubt.
I don't think I will ever get confused between as and with. 8-)

Regards,
Abhishek

kinjiGC wrote:
gmatgrl wrote:
mvictor wrote:
"AS" = presents how (can be substituted with because) the industry has changed

I am finding it slightly difficult to understand the meaning of the sentence, if I substitute "as" with "because" here:(.

The steel industry has changed radically, because large companies have greatly downsized.

I feel there is no direct cause and effect relationship here. My interpretation is that the downsizing of the large companies is just a symptom of the radical change of the steel industry.

I want to get in to Harvard because Harvard presents the best possible opportunities post MBA

I want to get in to Harvard as Harvard presents the best possible opportunities post MBA

Both are identical.

The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades ? Why

As integrated industries have greatly downsized.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 92

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 11:15
The OA is added and explanation provided in the thread appears sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button.

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 00:19
This is an EP1 question
Someone add that to the source

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 229

Re: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2017, 00:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

The steel industry has changed radically over the last two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap