GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 08:14
Radhika

Further to what I said in my previous reply, I am attaching a file that gives a list of GMAT examples in which 'that' is used as a relative pronoun and as a subordinate conjunction. Search for these examples in the forum and look for the correct usage of 'that' from the OAs.
Attachments

That as a relative pronoun and as a subordinatate conjunction.docx [14.45 KiB]
Downloaded 117 times

To download please login or register as a user

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
Re: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 09:14
I understand the subject is unclear on A, but I'm not sure I still understand the need for "that". Would B still be correct if "that" was removed as it would seem that "integrated companies" would still be the clear subject?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 16:49
Quote:
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

Reason why ‘that’ is required:

Let’s now split the sentence into the components.

1. The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades

2. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other ---subordinate clause one.
3. have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether. This clause is now dangling without proper conjugation with the subordinate clause.
Now we can see that the subject large integrated companies has two verbs namely, which is grammatically incorrect. This fault is fixed by turning the first subordinate clause into a relative noun and noun modifier, rendering ‘have ….” as the working verb for the subordinate clause. Without the 'that' , the subordinate clause will turn out to bea double - verbed fragment.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 11:20
B. The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel that once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

Could someone clarify if bold phrase could qualify "such as Bethlehem Steel"? I am not sure if the phrase points to "such as Bethlehem Steel" or to "large, integrated companies".

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 22:40
sevenplusplus wrote:
B. The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel that once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

Could someone clarify if bold phrase could qualify "such as Bethlehem Steel"? I am not sure if the phrase points to "such as Bethlehem Steel" or to "large, integrated companies".

Thanks in advance.

Hi sevenplusplus, that refers to large, integrated companies.

The simple reason is to note that there is a comma before that. In normal situations, that does not have a comma preceding it.

This comma is actually a delimiter for the following non-essential phrase: such as Bethlehem Steel.

So, the core of the sentence is:

....large, integrated companies that once conducted operations from...

Now, it is clear that that is referring to large, integrated companies.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 21:04
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases
shut down altogether.

A. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel
B. as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
C. with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
D. while large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
E. and large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 17:51
iDisappear wrote:
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated
companies such as Bethlehem Steel
once conducted operations from mining at one
end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases
shut down altogether.
A. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel
B. as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
C. with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
D. while large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
E. and large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel

Contenders: A, B and C

A: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

As a rule of thumb, "Such as X and Y.." should be a modifier. Hence it requires either a that or a which construction. Which is inappropriate here, as "...once conducted operations from mining at one
end of the process to shipping at the other..."
is an essential modifier and requires that constriction.

of course which isn't in any of the options anyway, making life a little easier.

B: as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that once conducted operations from mining at one
end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases
shut down altogether.

- ", such as Bethlehem Steel, " - a non-essential modifier separated by commas - correct use
- "once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other" - an essential modifier - modifying companies - is correctly used with a that construction.

C: with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases
shut down altogether.

- With cannot start a full sentence.
- With distorts the meaning. If we strip out the fluff, the sentence becomes

The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases
shut down altogether

You need an "as" instead of a with to convey a causal relation.

So B is correct
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 21:20
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

A. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel - not a sentence -- we need that after Bethlehem Steel
If "that" introduces a modifier, it can NEVER be left out. If it is left out, you're left with subject + verb (an entirely different construction).
E.g., the book that was released yesterday is just a noun + modifier. The book was released yesterday is a complete sentence.
B. as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that - Correct
C. with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that - "with" can't be followed by a complete sentence
D. while large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that - incorrect usage of while
E. and large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel - usage of and changes the meaning; also the part after and is not an independent clause

Answer B

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 05:25
This is an official question, and I'm unable to wrap my head around A and B. How is A better than B? Won't we require 'that" here?
Intern
Intern
B
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 06:53
shobuj wrote:

(A) as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel

(B) as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that

(C) with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that

(D) while large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that

(E) and large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel

The correct option is B.
I'm considering that you're stuck between A and B option, B correctly talks about Bethlehem steel by using 'that' pronoun reading Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.
Note that have greatly downsized is a plural verb and is NOT referring to Bethlehem Steel but is referring to the word 'operations'. you can ask something like what is being dowsized?, answer- operations.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2018, 10:09
It took me like 10 re-reads but I think I see what the error in B is now as I was also torn between A & B. This article covers the uses of "that":

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sent ... s-of-that/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as &nbs [#permalink] 19 Oct 2018, 10:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap