Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Algebrax   Functions and Custom Charactersx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3965 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: The symbol ∆ denotes one of the four arithmetic operations:addition,su [#permalink]
AbdurRakib wrote:
The symbol ∆ denotes one of the four arithmetic operations:addition,subtraction,multiplication,or division,If 6∆3≤ 3 ,which of the following must be true ?

I. 2∆2 = 0
II. 2∆2 = 1
III. 4∆2 = 2

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

The symbol ∆ denotes one of the four arithmetic operations:addition,subtraction,multiplication,or division,If 6∆3≤ 3 ,which of the following must be true ?

Since 6∆3≤ 3
6*3 = 18 >3
6+3=9>3
6/3 = 2 <=3
6-3 =3 <=3
Therefore, operator ∆ denotes / or - operations

I. 2∆2 = 0
2/2=1
2-2=0
NOT NECESSARILY TRUE

II. 2∆2 = 1
2/2=1
2-2=0
NOT NECESSARILY TRUE

III. 4∆2 = 2
4/2=2
4-2=2
4∆2 = 2 regardless of the operator / or -
MUST BE TRUE

IMO C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: The symbol ∆ denotes one of the four arithmetic operations:addition,su [#permalink]
Hi all,

Could any experts help me to confirm with my following calculation is correct or not. I think it will solve most quickly than others.

Given: 6#3<=3 ---> The same: 2x3#3<=3, so only III: 4#2=2 ---> 2x2#2 = 2 <=3: Satisfied. Others is not
Only care about formulas to find the answer soonest, no need to calculate one by one.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 340
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Hello, I have a query regarding the answer. The question states that the the symbol denoted in the question stem must be any ONE of the four operations and though I too agree that given the example the answer choice should hodl true in subtraction AND division, I dont understand how it could be two operations even though its mentioned it should be any ONE. Thank you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi sam12rawat,

When a Quant question asks "which of the following MUST be true?", what it's really asking is "which of the following is ALWAYS true no matter how many different examples we can come up with?"

In the case of this Roman Numeral question, we have to consider whether each of those 3 equations is ALWAYS true or not. Even though the 'symbol' might be subtraction or division (we can never actually define which one), only Roman Numeral 3 is ALWAYS true (whether the symbol is subtraction or division).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
SOLUTION:

This is a question from Function and custom characters.

As the operation does not increase the value to 9 or 18,it is possibly an operation of division(/) OR multiplication(*).

Now,6-3 = 3 and 6/3=2 (which is less than 3)

=>Both the operations are possible to represent the operation.

Let us check the options now:

I . 2∆2 = 0 = > 2-2 = 0 yields the result but 2/2 doesn't and hence it is NOT True always

II. 2∆2 = 1=>2/2 = 1 yields the result but 2-2 doesn't and hence it is NOT True always
(ELIMINATE A,B,D,E at this stage and arrive at C as ANSWER)

Also, III. 4∆2 = 2=>4-2 = 2 and 4/2=2 yields the same result and hence it is ALWAYS True OPTION(C)

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Devmitra Sen(Math)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
This is a stupid question...why are we trying both subtraction and division when the question says it is only ONE type..either subtraction or division? I am confused

generis wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
The symbol ∆ denotes one of the four arithmetic operations: addition,subtraction,multiplication,or division. If 6∆3≤ 3, which of the following must be true ?

I.2∆2=0
II.2∆2=1
III.4∆2=2

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

If 6 ∆ 3 ≤ 3, then the ∆ operator is subtraction AND division.

6 - 3 = 3, which satisfies the equation

\(\frac{6}{3}\) = 2, which also satisfies the equation (2 is less than 3).

The operator cannot be addition or multiplication. 6 + 3 = 9, which is > 3. And 6 * 3 = 18, also > than 3.

Check I, II, and III.

I. 2 ∆ 2 = 0. If ∆ were only subtraction, this would be fine. 2 - 2 = 0.

But \(\frac{2}{2}\) = 1. This equation is not true when ∆ is division. Incorrect.

II. 2 ∆ 2 = 1. If ∆ were only division, this would be fine.\(\frac{2}{2}\) = 1. But when ∆ is subtraction, then 2 - 2 = 0. This equation does not hold true when ∆ is subtraction. Incorrect.

III. 4 ∆ 2 = 2. This must be true for both subtraction and division.

It holds for subtraction. 4 - 4 = 2
And it holds for division: \(\frac{4}{2}\)= 2. Correct.

Answer C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
The symbol ∆ denotes one of the four arithmetic operations:addition,su [#permalink]
jabhatta2 wrote:
VeritasKarishma | Bunuel

As a test taker -- how are we supposed to know that ∆ should represent BOTH division AND subtraction

I assumed, the conditions applied individually (subtraction OR division) and thus opted for E

It's clear one or the other works

Since the question says 6∆3=<3
6/3 = 2
OR
6-3 = 3

--------------

I'll tell you how I approached this particular question. The question stem clearly states that it could be either of the following mathematical operations.
How can you say (I) or (II) is right? It could be either subtraction or division. Whereas, in (III) no matter the type of operation, you will get the same answer.
Kudos, if helped!
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16599 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: The symbol [m]\triangle[/m] denotes one of the four arithmetic operati [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If 6△3 ≤ 3, then △ is subtraction and division [6-3 = 3 and 6/3 = 2 <3]

Option A: 2△2 = 0 Subtraction applicable but division not - NOT TRUE

Option B: 2△2 = 1 Divisible applicable but subtraction not - NOT TRUE

Option C: 4△2 = 2 Divisible and subtraction both applicable - TRUE

Answer C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:

I. 2∆2 = 0
II. 2∆2 = 1
III. 4∆2 = 2

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

Wanna make solving the Official Questions interesting???

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests
and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option C

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: The symbol denotes one of the four arithmetic operations:addition,su [#permalink]
Why is E wrong?

The equation suggests 6∆3≤ 3 ie., 6∆3 is either less than 3 or equal to 3

so, why wouldn't choosing option E solve all of the conditions? Don't we have to just pass either of the two conditions?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The symbol denotes one of the four arithmetic operations:addition,su [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mayankparihar1 wrote:
Why is E wrong?

The equation suggests 6∆3≤ 3 ie., 6∆3 is either less than 3 or equal to 3

so, why wouldn't choosing option E solve all of the conditions? Don't we have to just pass either of the two conditions?

Hi mayankparihar1,

When a Quant question asks "which of the following MUST be true?", what it's really asking is "which of the following is ALWAYS true no matter how many different examples we can come up with?"

In the case of this Roman Numeral question, we have to consider whether each of those 3 equations is ALWAYS true or not. Even though the 'symbol' might be subtraction or division (although we are not certain for sure which one), only Roman Numeral 3 is ALWAYS true (whether the symbol is subtraction or division).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
generis wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
The symbol ∆ denotes one of the four arithmetic operations: addition,subtraction,multiplication,or division. If 6∆3≤ 3, which of the following must be true ?

I.2∆2=0
II.2∆2=1
III.4∆2=2

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

If 6 ∆ 3 ≤ 3, then the ∆ operator is subtraction AND division.

6 - 3 = 3, which satisfies the equation

\(\frac{6}{3}\) = 2, which also satisfies the equation (2 is less than 3).

The operator cannot be addition or multiplication. 6 + 3 = 9, which is > 3. And 6 * 3 = 18, also > than 3.

Check I, II, and III.

I. 2 ∆ 2 = 0. If ∆ were only subtraction, this would be fine. 2 - 2 = 0.

But \(\frac{2}{2}\) = 1. This equation is not true when ∆ is division. Incorrect.

II. 2 ∆ 2 = 1. If ∆ were only division, this would be fine.\(\frac{2}{2}\) = 1. But when ∆ is subtraction, then 2 - 2 = 0. This equation does not hold true when ∆ is subtraction. Incorrect.

III. 4 ∆ 2 = 2. This must be true for both subtraction and division.

It holds for subtraction. 4 - 4 = 2
And it holds for division: \(\frac{4}{2}\)= 2. Correct.

Answer C

The question says "ONE of the four" - doesn't this mean that we cannot choose an answer with subtraction AND division, but only subtraction OR division?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92940 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts