Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14674 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
sugand wrote:
isn't it true that "THAT" can have only singular antecedents and take only singular verbs...when u want to refer to plural antecedents "THOSE" replace "THAT"...

so how is "THAT" here referring to "emotional reactions "....

that is one of the most versatile words in English grammar. It has 3 most prominent avatars:

i) As a relative pronoun, that relates to another noun preceding it in the sentence. Example: The car that is parked in the basement is mine.

ii) As a demonstrative pronoun, that stands for a person, place or thing that must be pointed to. Example: Peter's brother is taller than that of Jack.

iii) As a conjunction, that connects two clauses. Example: He said that he would work hard.

Based on which of the avatars the word that is used as, there are some key differences. One of the differences is: When used as a relative pronoun, that can refer to both singular and plural nouns. So, both the following are correct:

The car that is parked in the basement is mine.
– Relative pronoun that refers to singular noun car.

The cars that are parked in the basement are mine.
– Relative pronoun that refers to plural noun cars.

However, when used as a demonstrative pronoun, that can only refer to singular nouns. So, while the following are correct:

Peter's brother is taller than that of Jack.

Following is not correct (assuming Jack has multiple businesses):

Peter's businesses are doing better than that of Jack.
- Demonsrative pronoun that cannot refer to plural noun businesses

The correct sentence would be:

Peter's businesses are doing better than those of Jack.
- Demonsrative pronoun those will refer to plural noun businesses

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana details the various avatars of that, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

In this question the noun modifier "that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses" touches the noun individual. However it is modifying emotional reactions . I am aware that an "of prepositional phrase" is an exception to the touch rule of noun modifiers.
So as per this question ,can i deduce that in general a "the touch rule of noun modifiers" have all prepositional phrases ( as in this question "in an individual ") an exception ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce [#permalink]
Expert Reply
dream21 wrote:
In this question the noun modifier "that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses" touches the noun individual. However it is modifying emotional reactions . I am aware that an "of prepositional phrase" is an exception to the touch rule of noun modifiers.
So as per this question ,can i deduce that in general a "the touch rule of noun modifiers" have all prepositional phrases ( as in this question "in an individual ") an exception ?

Hi! there would never be an instance when that, when used as a relative pronoun (as is the case here) refers to people (such as individual).

So, this cannot be considered an exception.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
However, I can´t understand yet why C. is worng.
Is it wrong only because of the missed comma?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
scheol79 wrote:
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.

(A) that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses

(B) that creates unconscious physiological responses in turn

(C) creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses

(D) to create, in turn, physiological responses that are unconscious

(E) who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn

Could someone explain why the comma in A after "that" is correct? There is a rule, i belive before or after "that" there will never be a comma. Therefore it must be before "that" i guess. I trapped into it and chose B.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
reto wrote:
Could someone explain why the comma in A after "that" is correct? There is a rule, i belive before or after "that" there will never be a comma. Therefore it must be before "that" i guess. I trapped into it and chose B.

Believe it or not, the comma is not after that; the comma is before the phrase in turn. Basically the phrase in turn is just delimited by commas. in turn just acts as a non-essential here.

In such circumstances, you can expect to encounter a comma before that as well. An example that comes to my mind is this: https://gmatclub.com/forum/uninformed-about-students-experience-in-urban-classrooms-118464.html.

While this is not an official example, it illustrates the point because all five options have a comma before that. Again, in this sentence, such as standardized test scores is delimited by commas. So, the comma is actually not before that; the comma is after the non-essential phrase: such as standardized test scores.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Why not C? 'Creating' is an verb+ing modifier that modifies the preceding clause 'lying produces emotional reactions in an individual'. Please explain.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Here's (C) as it, without the comma.
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses.
Here, without a comma between "individual" and "creating," the Modifier Touch Rule creates the strong expectation that the participle is acting as a noun modifier, modifying the noun it touches, "individual." The "in turn" after this is jarring, and makes this reading of the modification more ambiguous. The first reading is logically incorrect, and the the second interpretation is ambiguous. Either wrong or ambiguous---not a good choice either way. That's why (C) is wrong.

Mike :-)

awesome explanation.

thanks in advance for your further explanation on my fault

[quote = "OE" ]
C This construction is less successful at clarifying the chain of events because creating seems to refer back to lying;[/quote]

it is hard for me to understand the OE for C

IMO, "creating" is participle, which modifies the preceding noun because of without comma, moreover, it is illogical if people create responses, so "creating" modifies "reactions",
that's why I cannot understand OE for C.
I guess my approach is wrong, please point my fault
seems I am not skilled to identify which antecedent will be modified by "participle without comma"

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

It's a very good idea in life to give real human people further chances when they mess up. With GMAT SC, we can't be so kindhearted and accepting: as soon as a sentence is not clear, we reject it outright. A correct answer doesn't need our charity.

Does all this make sense?

My friend, have a lovely day.

awesome ~~~

thanks so much Mike,
I think that is why meaning is so important than grammar on GMAT SC, right?

mikemcgarry wrote:

the structure {subject][verb][predicate][comma][participle], it is often the case that the participle refers back to the subject

Mike, I have a further question,
I have no example on hand ATM except following Office Problem

what if in a complex sentence, say:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.

this is an incorrect sentence, what I read it :
I guess that participle evolving refers to embryologists, although author intended to refer to elephant.

I am not sure if the structure works in a that - clause, if works, participle refers to the subject of the entire sentence or the subject of the that - clause,

have a lovely day
>_~
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
I'm happy to respond, my friend. :-)

Yes, the GMAT SC is about meaning because language and communication is about meaning. When you ask a question and I write a response, I am trying to address the meaning of your question with the meaning of my answer. When you read my response, you are concerned with understanding my meaning: you may also look at the grammar I use, but that's clearly of secondary important. Meaning is always the most important. It's important in life, so it's important on the GMAT.

thanks so much Mike,
always glad to get your explanation.

Honestly, I am trying to switch "grammar priority" to "meaning priority", it is not easy for a non-native speaker,
my status quo is
1/ focus on meaning first, but often go back to re-read, and then thinking whether the meaning is logical, -- this step spend me a half or more time
2/ grammar, try to view it as assistance way,

Given the transformation, I genuinely hope improve my reading speed.
appreciate, if get your proposals.

mikemcgarry wrote:
See this blog:
Absolute Phrases on the GMAT
My friend, this doesn't fit into any of the previous patterns we have been discussing, because this is a completely different kind of pattern. The absolute phrase is a 100% valid grammar structure that often puzzles both non-native speakers and even some native English speakers, precisely because it's so rare and only appears in very formal writing. It does appears regularly on the GMAT SC, so it's a structure you have to know. That blog article will tell you a great deal about it.

I hope this helps you, my friend, and I hope you have an absolutely delightful day. :-)

absolute phrase confused me a lot, I read many Magoosh articles especially created by you, this article is one .
It seems I got something , but seems I missed something as well ,
because I have not practiced many on absolute phrase , so I have not yet figured out where I missed.

have a nice day.

>_~
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
You can start a new thread in the Magoosh forum of GMAT Club if you like. You are always welcome to ask me about sentences you find in such sources. The more you practice, the more you will become familiar with recognizing the patterns in sophisticated English.

Have courage, my friend! You are very talented! You have my respect and admiration! You can do this!

Have a wonderful day!

thanks so much for your quick reply.

magoosh forums here is a good news for me.

BTY, am I authorized to post MAGOOSH questions @ Magoosh forum of GMAT Club

have a nice day
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
thanks so much for your quick reply.

magoosh forums here is a good news for me.

BTY, am I authorized to post MAGOOSH questions @ Magoosh forum of GMAT Club

have a nice day
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

Yes, my friend, you can always post any question you want in the Magoosh forum. I can't always promise a prompt response: I will get to it when I can. Also, you can post Magoosh questions there or anywhere on GMAT Club: as always, please search for a question first, before starting a brand new thread. Many many Magoosh questions have already be posted here.

Have a lovely day, my friend!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
awesome ~~~

thanks so much Mike,
I think that is why meaning is so important than grammar on GMAT SC, right?

Mike, I have a further question,
I have no example on hand ATM except following Office Problem

what if in a complex sentence, say:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.

this is an incorrect sentence, what I read it :
I guess that participle evolving refers to embryologists, although author intended to refer to elephant.

I am not sure if the structure works in a that - clause, if works, participle refers to the subject of the entire sentence or the subject of the that - clause,

have a lovely day
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

I'm happy to respond, my friend. :-)

Yes, the GMAT SC is about meaning because language and communication is about meaning. When you ask a question and I write a response, I am trying to address the meaning of your question with the meaning of my answer. When you read my response, you are concerned with understanding my meaning: you may also look at the grammar I use, but that's clearly of secondary important. Meaning is always the most important. It's important in life, so it's important on the GMAT.

The sentence you quoted has two verbs "that suggests that has suggested." I am not sure why this is the case, but obviously, we only need on verb here: the simple present is better than the present perfect, so I will give the version of the sentence with the simple present. I will also add the word "that" after the verb "suggests."
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.
Now, I will tell you something truly mind-boggling: this sentence is 100% correct. The structure that appears after the comma is what is known as an "absolute phrase." See this blog:
Absolute Phrases on the GMAT
My friend, this doesn't fit into any of the previous patterns we have been discussing, because this is a completely different kind of pattern. The absolute phrase is a 100% valid grammar structure that often puzzles both non-native speakers and even some native English speakers, precisely because it's so rare and only appears in very formal writing. It does appears regularly on the GMAT SC, so it's a structure you have to know. That blog article will tell you a great deal about it.

I hope this helps you, my friend, and I hope you have an absolutely delightful day. :-)

hi Mike, how are you? I have some question need your explanation

1/
I emerged this thread, because I am sunk in absolute phrase and appositive phrase.
I read some books and blogs, but I failed to distinguish these two,
genuinely want your help,

2/
further more, should absolute phrase reveal simultaneity with the main clause ?

3/
I have a SC on hand, OG 16 , SC #84

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.
(A) exhibit, which thereby activates
(B) exhibit, in turn an activation of
(C) exhibit, and it will activate
(D) exhibit and thereby activate
(E) exhibit which, as a result, activates

I picked up B mistakenly because I viewed B as absolute phrase, which consists of a noun an activation and it prep modifier of the animated function of the piece, moreover, which explains the effect of the "touch"
I haven't got yet why B is not absolute phrase , please help...

have a nice day
>_~
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
If someone can clarify for me why is "creating" referring back to "lying", that would be great!

Split1) Cause and Effect. The ideal structure agreement is as follows: "x did y, that, in turn, did Z". Following this logic B and E are out because "in turn" come at the end of the sentence defying the ideal structure agreement.

Split2) Emotional reactions = Plural should go with a plural verb = create. So if you attempt to block out the prepositional phrases and other noise, you will end up with "lying produces...emotional reactions....create". Going down the options, in E you see "emotional reactions...who" this does not make sense because emotional reactions is not a person. In option D, "emotional reactions....to create" is not gramatically correct to use the infinitive. In option C, "creating" also does not go well per this logic. Also, in C, you will need a comma before "creating". If someone can clarify for me why is "creating" referring back to "lying", that would be great!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
awesome explanation.

thanks in advance for your further explanation on my fault

C This construction is less successful at clarifying the chain of events because creating seems to refer back to lying;

it is hard for me to understand the OE for C

IMO, "creating" is participle, which modifies the preceding noun because of without comma, moreover, it is illogical if people create responses, so "creating" modifies "reactions",
that's why I cannot understand OE for C.
I guess my approach is wrong, please point my fault
seems I am not skilled to identify which antecedent will be modified by "participle without comma"

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I hope life is treating you well, my friend.

Typically, when we have the structure {subject][verb][predicate][comma][participle], it is often the case that the participle refers back to the subject:
James Madison composed the Bill of Rights, enshrining these fundamental liberties as the law of the land.
Qin Shi Huang conquered all the warring states, uniting China into a single country.
Rain has a vast influence on the landscape, wearing away mountings over the course of eons.

In all three of these example sentences, the participle after the comma refers to the subject. Again, this is not always true, but it is a very typical structure.
Without the comma, this pattern could still be in effect, although it's less common. I can't think of an example at the moment.

Given that, look at (C):
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses.
The BIG question this version opens concerns the target noun of "creating."
One common expectation is the Modifier Touch Rule, which would suggest that creating" modifies "individual."
Another common expectation, discussed in the OE, suggest the pattern I just discussed above: the participle modifies the subject of the clause: in that case, creating" would modify "lying."
Remarkably, neither one of these common expectations is correct. In fact, the word creating" is supposed to modify "emotional reactions. This correct target noun is clear from the prompt, but there is no way that the grammar of (C) makes clear the correct target noun. Choice (C) is profoundly ambiguous.

This OE, like many OEs in the GMAT OG, is brief and incomplete. It is not necessarily true that the sentence suggests that creating" modifies "lying:" that is one common interpretation, but not the only one. The Modifier Touch Rule might be in effect instead. That is an equally valid interpretation. The funny thing is: both of these interpretations are wrong! Not only does the sentence not give us a clear way to choose between the two most common choices---in fact, both of these common choices are wrong! That's how wrong version (C) is.

Here's the problem with your interpretation. You applied the Modifier Touch Rule: so far, so good. Then you said, it is illogical if people create responses, so "creating" modifies "reactions." Here's the problem. In a well-constructed sentence, the grammar has to follow the logic and make the logic clear: the job of a good sentence is to have everything working together seamlessly. If we have to step away from the grammatical constructions and think about logic in the abstract to find the right target noun, then the sentence has not done its job. That approach is far too forgiving: in that approach, the student does work outside the sentence and then gives the sentence credit for that work! We shouldn't have to do that. A well-constructed sentence doesn't need anybody's help: it is completely logical and clear exactly as it is.

It's a very good idea in life to give real human people further chances when they mess up. With GMAT SC, we can't be so kindhearted and accepting: as soon as a sentence is not clear, we reject it outright. A correct answer doesn't need our charity.

My friend, have a lovely day.

Hi mike,
you mentioned two exception of modifier touch rule,

out of curiosity, whether V-ing can modify the noun in the structure[noun]+[prep phrase] +[ V-ing] ?

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mike,
you mentioned two exception of modifier touch rule,

out of curiosity, whether V-ing can modify the noun in the structure[noun]+[prep phrase] +[ V-ing] ?

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan

My friend, how are you? I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, this blog, which I believe you have seen before, discusses the major exceptions to the Modifier Touch Rule:
Modifiers on the GMAT Sentence Correction

As for your second question, my friend, I am going to chide you a bit. Please banish the term "V-ing" from your vocabulary. This is a woefully imprecise term that causes tremendous confusion. People use this term all the time on GMAT Club, and it spawns a great deal of confusion. You see, the -ing form of a verb has three distinct uses:
1) A participle, which serves as a noun or verb modifier
The man causing a disturbance was asked to leave. [participle as noun modifier]
The bond market was shaken, causing stocks to decline. [participle as verb modifier]
2) A gerund, which takes the place of a noun: the subject of a clause, the direct object of a verb, or the object of a preposition.
Causing a violent public disturbance is a felony. [gerund as subject]
The parent didn't like causing her child to be late. [gerund as direct object]
The central bank lowered interest rates to prevent the bond crisis from causing a recession. [gerund as object of a preposition]
3) Part of a full verb in one of the progressive tenses:
The crisis in the bond market is causing a recession. [present progressive tense]
When police arrived, the thieves were causing the security system to fail. [past progressive tense]
The massive forces of plate tectonics have been causing the the Atlantic Ocean to expand for the past 200 million years. [present perfect progressive tense]

You asked, "out of curiosity, whether V-ing can modify the noun in the structure[noun]+[prep phrase] +[ V-ing] ?" Here's what is problematic about that question. You see, a participle is a modifier, but if the -ing form comes after a proposition, it absolutely has to be a gerund. I don't know whether you meant [preposition] or [prepositional phrase] in your question.

Of course, in the structure [noun] + [prepositional phrase], the preposition is quite often a vital noun modifier. This is a vitally important logical distinction to understand for the GMAT SC. A vital noun modifier always comes between the noun and a non-vital modifier, so this is the most common exception to the Touch Rule.

Does all this make sense? Have a wonderful day, my friend. :-)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi Mike,
appreciate your kindly pointer, I will cross off "V-ing" from my vocabulary.
mikemcgarry wrote:
2) A gerund, which takes the place of a noun: the subject of a clause, the direct object of a verb, or the object of a preposition.
Causing a violent public disturbance is a felony. [gerund as subject]
The parent didn't like causing her child to be late. [gerund as direct object]
The central bank lowered interest rates to prevent the bond crisis from causing a recession. [gerund as object of a preposition]

I totally got that -ing forms of verb work as nouns if they are gerunds.
mikemcgarry wrote:
I don't know whether you meant [preposition] or [prepositional phrase] in your question.

my curiosity is [prepositional phrase] which consists of prep + noun, for example:
1) I like the picutre of my brother hanging one the wall. -- here , -ing form of verb "hanging" follows a prep phrase, can "hanging" modifies picture by jumping over the prep phrase "of my brother" rather than illogically modifies preceding noun "my brother" ?
2 ) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury. -- here, , -ing form of verb "causing" follows a prep phrase as well, can "causing" modifies act by jumping over of stinging ?
both these two cases , -ing forms of verb follow prep phrases.

brief summary, based on the logical meaning,
1/ I am confused what will be modified by
-ing form of verb modifier follows the structure [comma] + [noun]+[prep phrase] or [NO comma]+[noun]+[prep phrase], does the vital / non vital impact most ?
2/ if extend to other modifiers, such as
-ed form of verb modifier ,comma which modifier, no comma which modifier, that clause modifier,

waiting for your reply.

if possible, waiting for your reply to:
originally-developed-for-detecting-air-pollutants-a-127269-20.html
medical-investigator-podiatrists-initially-assumed-that-meyer-s-rash-203209-20.html
since-the-1930-s-aircraft-manufacturers-have-tried-to-build-134320-20.html
a-proposal-has-been-made-to-trim-the-horns-from-rhinoceroses-111439.html
og-2016-discussion-of-greenhouse-effects-have-usually-had-as-a-focus-204263.html
sunspots-vortices-of-gas-associated-with-strong-79261-60.html

thanks million.

have a wonderful day
>_~
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
My friend, I will get to some of those other links as I have time. My Magoosh job doesn't allow me to spend all day on GC.

Take very good care of yourself, my friend. :-)

Hi mike,

I totally understand.
Although I am the student of Magoosh,
1/ I have no idea whether I can post GMATPrep question on Magoosh, and where to post if I can
2/ I know Magoosh tutors are busy, I am afraid my questions of OG and Magoosh are sunk through HELP bottom, or maybe my operation problem,
any hint to get quick reply on Magoosh ?

have a nice day
>_~
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts