It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Uninformed about students experience in urban classrooms,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Uninformed about students experience in urban classrooms, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2011, 19:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (01:08) correct 60% (01:17) wrong based on 523 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Uninformed about students’ experience in urban classrooms, critics often condemn schools’ performance as gauged by an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that in higher-level reasoning.

an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that
an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
an index, such as standardized test scores, that is called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that is quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Uninformed about students experience in urban classrooms, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2011, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
‘Such as standardized test scores’ is only an example and hence can not decide the verb. It is the singular ‘index’ that is related by the pronoun ‘that’ and hence, the verb has to be the singular ‘is’ – Drop A and B

In C, ‘an index, such as standardized test scores, that is called objective and can be quantified’ is too verbose at least by a couple of words in comparison to ‘a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that can be quantified” in D and E

In E, the expression ‘that is quantified’ alters the intent of the text which means ‘that can be quantified’

D glides past these pitfalls smoothly and survives. However, the phrase ‘such as what is made’ is indeed unnecessary and one can always prefer ‘such as that” as in E. However, E has the fatal flaw of using the unacceptable ‘that is quantified’

However,Do you know something, the original post from Kaplan, as given below is different from this simulated one here . The Kaplan example has “ can be quantified” for all the choices, unlike in this text, which alters Choice E with ‘that is quantified’ which is materially wrong.

Look at this

A. an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that
B. an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
C. an index, such as standardized test scores, that is called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
D. a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
E. a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that

In the Kaplan's case E is the OA and rightly so. But in the given one here, D IMO.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 08:22
an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that
an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
an index, such as standardized test scores, that is called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that is quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 09:05
my bad i read the q wrong :( i would go for E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 09:07
i think i will go with E,
that is quantified is much better... index - is SV agreement.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 09:13
I think the answer should be D or E.

I will go with D as E alters the meaning of the sentence

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 09:55
+1 D

I think that "that is called objective" is not the intended meaning.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 12:08
E
a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that is quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that .

index, ___________________________, such as that in higher level
such as the index in higher level
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 12:21
E I think
that - in high level reasoning is better than made in high level reasoning.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 12:43
I am confused. I think it is E but since the subject is singular should overlook not be overlooks
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2011, 11:17
I think between D and E. I would have to choose D for the last part

D. a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
E. a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that

progress made in higher reasoning is being compared here, so D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2011, 02:02
Between D and E, D sounds correct using 'that can be quantified'. E uses 'that is quantified', this changes the meaning of the sentence.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2011, 03:42
+1 for D.

In addition to the reasons specified above, i do not like E because it omits "made" (such as that made in sounds more correct - that refers to progress and progress is made).

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2011, 05:18
E sounds better than other choices-

e. Uninformed about students’ experience in urban classrooms, critics often condemn schools’ performance as gauged by a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that is quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that in higher-level reasoning.

E means that critics condemn performance as gauged by the index such as X .also critics overlook progress such as Y...

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

I am still on all gmat forums. msg me if you want to ask me smth

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2011, 02:56
bschool83 wrote:
Uninformed about students’ experience in urban classrooms, critics often condemn schools’ performance as gauged by an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that in higher-level reasoning.

Going with D. It maintains parallelism.
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2011, 10:13
immaculatesahai wrote:
bschool83 wrote:

Going with D. It maintains parallelism.

Looks like the clear winner is not yet decided.
In D 'such as what is made' - refers to measurable progress. This way of referring looks better to me.
I am also going with D.
Still waiting for the final answer.

Regards,
ckarimanoor
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2011, 20:26
I was leaning towards E at first... but now I would say that D sounds best. "what is made" threw me off.... but it does refer to progress in a better fashion that E does.

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2012, 14:31
A. an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that
B. an index, such as standardized test scores, that are called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
C. an index, such as standardized test scores, that is called objective and can be quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as what is made
E. a so-called objective index, such as standardized test scores, that is quantified and overlook less measurable progress, such as that

What is OA?
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2012, 03:16
out of D and E, IMO D...
in E that is quantified is causing shift in meaning.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 05:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Uninformed about students experience in urban classrooms,   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2014, 05:06

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

Uninformed about students experience in urban classrooms,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap