Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: There are recent reports of apparently drastic declines in amphibian [#permalink]
Kudos
hazelnut
aragonn

In question two
These declines, if real, may be signs of a general trend toward extinction, and many environmentalists have claimed that immediate environmental action is necessary to remedy this “amphibian crisis,” which, in their view, is an indicator of general and catastrophic environmental degradation due to human activity.
This clearly shows that these environmentalists believed specifically that degradation is the reason. SO the correct answer seems C

In D They have drawn premature conclusions concerning a crisis in amphibian populations from recent reports of declines.
It might be the case that the environmentalists were concerned only of the decline and not the extinction. So, the answer doesnt seem correct.
Please help out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Re: There are recent reports of apparently drastic declines in amphibian [#permalink]
Kudos
3/4 on the first 4 questions in 10:13 Total 12:23 on the 6 questions and 5/6 overall. Got the first question wrong because I somehow thought the word allay was to bring attention when in fact it means the exact opposite! Ouch.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
bpdulog wrote:
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) assess the validity of a certain view
(B) distinguish between two phenomena
(C) identify the causes of a problem
(D) describe a disturbing trend
(E) allay concern about a particular phenomenon

Why is B wrong? Most of the passage is explaining the difference between decline in population and extinction

B is wrong because, critically, the question is asking for the primary purpose of the passage.

The primary purpose of the passage is to assess the claims made in the first paragraph, whereas explaining any difference between declines in population & extinction is surely secondary. The author indicates that this is an evaluation in para 2 when he/she states, "To evaluate these claims...". He/She then goes on to offer a number of different criticisms/evaluations of the arguments made in paragraph 1, arguments which constitute the remainder of the passage.

Hope it helps :)

(A) assess the validity of a certain view 
Correct, “evaluate these claims” mentioned in para 2, which the author then goes on to do for remainder of passage

(B) distinguish between two phenomena 
difference between extinction & decline red herring here, this is secondary – the author’s purpose is to evaluate claims made in para 1

(C) identify the causes of a problem 
author isn’t primarily concerned with identifying causes of decline/ extinctions; he indicates a few in paras 2 & 3 but he is trying to evaluate the conclusions drawn from the trends, not what underlying causes are

(D) describe a disturbing trend 
this misses the point, author clearly mentions he is evaluating the claims trend, and does so by offering counter arguments

(E) allay concern about a particular phenomenon 
although concerns re. this trend may be somewhat allayed by his criticisms, final para indicates that we don’t have great data & we may doom species if there’s inaction, undermining this answer. Moreover, his primary aim is to get to the truth about the claims, rather than persuade the reader that they shouldn’t be concerned.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [1]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
idkksh wrote:
There are recent reports of apparently drastic declines in amphibian populations and of extinctions of a number of the world's endangered amphibian species. These declines, if real, may be signs of a general trend toward extinction, and many environmentalists have claimed that immediate environmental action is necessary to remedy this "amphibian crisis", which, in their view, is an indicator of general and catastrophic environmental degradation due to human activity.

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes which of the following to be true of the environmentalists mentioned in lines 5-6?

(A) They have wrongly chosen to focus on anecdotal reports rather than on the long-term data that are currently available concerning amphibians.

To me, this is a very tempting answer (I chose it :facepalm_man:) The first paragraph says the environmentalists are calling it this an "amphibian crisis," which sounds pretty dramatic and premature. To me, it sounds like these environmentalists are a bit excited and overreacting to the reports that populations are declining. They want to get involved and have "immediate environmental action." Let's hold this one.

(B) Their recommendations are flawed because their research focuses too narrowly on a single category of animal species.

"Their research" jumped out at me. Do we know that this is the environmentalists research? Nope. The environmentalists are just reacting to the release of said research.

(C) Their certainty that population declines in general are caused by environmental degradation is not warranted.

May or may not be true. We don't really know all of the factors. Environmental degradation could certainly be a major factor.

(D) They have drawn premature conclusions concerning a crisis in amphibian populations from recent reports of declines.

The author definitely thinks they are drawing a premature conclusion. 2nd sentence in 2nd paragraph: "A declining population should not be confused with an endangered one." This passage opens up with the author saying that environmentalists are all up in arms about this "amphibian crisis," and then the author counters the environmentalists with historical data and is basically saying that they should "hold their horses," but at the same time, there's not much that we do know for sure.

This is definitely inferred.

(E) They have overestimated the effects of chance events on trends in amphibian populations.

Similar to (D), they are overreacting, but not necessarily "overestimating the effects of chance events." The envionmentalists don't claim anything about "chance events" in this paragraph.

Between (A) and (D)...

(A) They have put too much focus on the reports of amphibian population decline.

(D) They drew premature conclusion concerning amphibian population decline.

I see how (D) is better now, but would love GMATNinja to provide a better explanation.

Hopefully this helps someone... I just wanted to write down my thoughts.

idkksh wrote:
There are recent reports of apparently drastic declines in amphibian populations and of extinctions of a number of the world's endangered amphibian species. These declines, if real, may be signs of a general trend toward extinction, and many environmentalists have claimed that immediate environmental action is necessary to remedy this "amphibian crisis", which, in their view, is an indicator of general and catastrophic environmental degradation due to human activity.

To evaluate these claims, it is useful to make a preliminary distinction that is far too often ignored. A declining population should not be confused with an endangered one. An endangered population is always rare, almost always small, and, by definition, under constant threat of extinction even without a proximate cause in human activities. Its disappearance, however unfortunate, should come as no great surprise. Moreover, chance events—which may indicate nothing about the direction of trends in population size—may lead to its extinction. The probability of extinction due to such random factors depends on the population size and is independent of the prevailing direction of change in that size.

For biologists, population declines are potentially more worrisome than extinctions. Persistent declines, especially in large populations, indicate a changed ecological context. Even here, distinctions must again be made among declines that are only apparent (in the sense that they are part of habitual cycles or of normal fluctuations), declines that take a population to some lower but still acceptable level, and those that threaten extinction (e.g., by taking the number of individuals below the minimum viable population). Anecdotal reports of population decreases cannot distinguish among these possibilities, and some amphibian populations have shown strong fluctuations in the past.

It is Indisputably true that there is simply not enough long-term scientific data on amphibian populations to enable researches to identify real declines in amphibian populations. Many fairly common amphibian species declared all but extinct after severe declines in the 1950s and 1960s have subsequently recovered, and so might the apparently declining populations that have generated the current appearance of an amphibian crisis. Unfortunately, long-term data will not soon be forthcoming, and postponing environmental action while we wait for it may doom species and whole ecosystems to extinction.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32946 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
praneethduggirala wrote:
What difficulty this question comes under ?

The difficulty levels of the questions are as follow:

Question #1: 700
Question #2: 650
Question #3: 700
Question #4: 600
Question #5: 600
Question #6: 650

Thank you
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 5

ntngocanh19 wrote:
Quote:
5. Which of the following most accurately describes the organization of the passage?

(A) A question is raised, a distinction regarding it is made, and the question is answered.
(B) An interpretation is presented, its soundness is examined, and a warning is given.
(C) A situation is described, its consequences are analyzed, and a prediction is made.
(D) Two interpretations of a phenomenon are described, and one of them is rejected as invalid.
(E) Two methods for analyzing a phenomenon are compared, and further study of the phenomenon is recommended.

Dear GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Sajjad1994
I have a query on question 5. Why D is wrong?
From my understanding, The passage tells about the phenomenon : (The decrease in population and extinction of amphibian) then It shows 2 views from this phenomenon
1 is from environmentalist
2 is from biologist
The view 1 is rejected by the author in paragraph 2.

Please correct me, am I missing something?
Thank you!

The author never actually rejects a view.

In the first paragraph, the author introduces some claims (from environmentalists).

In the second paragraph, the author says that more information is necessary to evaluate these claims. This isn't the same as rejecting the claims -- the author doesn't say that the environmentalists are wrong. Instead, he/she just says that we need to make some distinctions to see whether they are right or wrong.

In the third paragraph, the author explains why the distinctions above would be important to biologists.

And in the fourth paragraph, the author says that we simply don't have enough information, and if we wait to get that information then it will be too late to save the environment.

So, (D) is out because the author never rejects the environmentalists' interpretation of the population decline. (B) is a much better fit -- the author presents the environmentalists' interpretation, explains why we need more info, and then ends with a warning.

(B) is the correct answer to question 5.

I hope that helps!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32946 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mitul302 wrote:
Can anyone please help me with Q4 here ? I am not able to get the approach. It probably means that I have to take inference from multiple lines in all the paragraphs, but what is the best way to do so ? It is difficult for me to retain so much info at once.

Explanations to all the questions are posted, you just need to scroll, find and read.

Happy Prep.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
Kudos
In question 4 why Option A is incorrect . Endangered amphibians need not to be rarest among the species . They can be rare species too.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 5

zoezhuyan wrote:
5. Which of the following most accurately describes the organization of the passage?

(A) A question is raised, a distinction regarding it is made, and the question is answered.

(B) An interpretation is presented, its soundness is examined, and a warning is given.

(C) A situation is described, its consequences are analyzed, and a prediction is made.

(D) Two interpretations of a phenomenon are described, and one of them is rejected as invalid.

(E) Two methods for analyzing a phenomenon are compared, and further study of the phenomenon is recommended.

hi GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma, MartyTargetTestPrep, AndrewN,VeritasPrepBrian,GMATRockstar

KarishmaB

avigutman, AndrewN,MartyTargetTestPrep

from P2&3, the author compares declining population and endanger population. in P4, authors proposes long-time data, so I think E match.

what's the problem with my reasoning ?

thanks in advance.

You're right that the author compares "declining populations" with "endangered populations." However, that doesn't line up with what (E) says: "Two methods for analyzing a phenomenon are compared..."

Endangered populations and declining populations aren't methods for analyzing a phenomenon -- they're just useful terms to clarify the situation.

Eliminate (E) for question 5.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
After a slight doubt in the first question (between A and E), easily cruised through this one....ADEDBC
Although, the author does try to allay some fears of the "environmentalists" pertaining to their fear of the extinction of the Amphibian species, the last paragraph confirms that the author is merely assessing the validity of a point of view.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
for Q3...im confused between D and E

for choice D, the explanation on OG said:
Quote:
the author suggests that the extinctions may have been caused by chance events, but there is not enough data to know whether or not this is probable.

but in passage:
Quote:
Moreover, chance events--which......--may lead to its extinction.

may = probably

so why we need to have enough data to know whether it was probable?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo

Can you help explain Q3 and Q6?

3. It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes which of the following to be true of the amphibian extinctions that have recently been reported?

(A) They have resulted primarily from human activities causing environmental degradation.
(B)They could probably have been prevented if timely action had been taken to protect the habitats of amphibian species.
(C) They should not come as a surprise, because amphibian populations generally have been declining for a number of years.
(D) They have probably been caused by a combination of chance events.
(E) They do not clearly constitute evidence of general environmental degradation.

I was confused between D and E. Both seem to be correct. Can you let me know your thoughts here?

6. Which of the following best describes the function of the sentence in lines 35-38?

(A) To give an example of a particular kind of study
(B) To cast doubt on an assertion made in the previous sentence
(C) To raise an objection to a view presented in the first paragraph
(D) To provide support for a view presented in the first paragraph
(E) To introduce an idea that will be countered in the following paragraph

I clearly thought the answer is Option B, below is my reasoning

Quote:
Anecdotal reports of population decreases cannot distinguish among these possibilities, and some amphibian populations have shown strong fluctuations in the past

- The report cannot distinguish among the possibilities
- Now the possibilities is mentioned in the above the bold statement

Quote:
Even here, distinctions must again be made among declines that are only apparent (in the sense that they are part of habitual cycles or of normal fluctuations), declines that take a population to some lower but still acceptable level, and those that threaten extinction (e.g., by taking the number of individuals below the minimum viable population).

- with the above reasoning, i thought the answer should be clearly option B because the anecdotal report says it cannot distinguish among them.

Can you help me understand where I'm going wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM

(A) assess the validity of a certain view
(B) distinguish between two phenomena
(C) identify the causes of a problem
(D) describe a disturbing trend
(E) allay concern about a particular phenomenon

Why is B wrong? Most of the passage is explaining the difference between decline in population and extinction
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Because in 1st para it clearly says about the report and an interpretation is made. Then in the following para words like evaluate the claim indicates that the author is trying to check the soundness and in the final para it is giving a clear cut warning( If you read the last line). I hope it helps
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
dewdrops909

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes which of the following to be true of the environmentalists mentioned in lines 5-6?
Pre-think - E are mentioned in P1. saying that if population decline then may be a trend toward extinction. So immediate environmental action is necessary. We need to look at author's view over this. Author's view is given in P2. Author is not so sure about it.

(D) They have drawn premature conclusions concerning a crisis in amphibian populations from recent reports of declines.

If still not clear .... can you share your thinking around option C and why other choices are wrong ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
singh8891 - What you have underlined is not the view of author, but it is the view of ' many environmentalists'. Author's view is given in P2. Author is not so sure about it. this is covered in P2. D is on these lines. Let me know if you need more clarity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
singh8891

Question 2 asks about the opinion the author has in regard to the views of the environmentalists.

Paragraph 1 states that the environmental lists is based on these reports that show decline.
Paragraph 2 states that the author thinks, the decline is not necessarily bad because some amphibians in the past were able to recover after they have declined.

Thus, the author thinks that the view of the environmentalists, based on the latest report, is kind of premature because
1. long-term data is not really available, so the reports are may not as accurate as the environmentalists believe.
2.some amphibians wer able to recover, so why should it not be possible that the ones now in threat are also able to do so.

Hence, the conclusion from the environmentalists is premature because it is at the moment not possible to 100% conclude what will happen.

Hope this helps you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts