Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 00:04 It is currently 03 May 2024, 00:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13436 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11673 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Tying it all together - Where to from here? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi bgbeidas,

From these CAT scores, it certainly appears that you're in a good position to hit your goal score on Test Day. I just have a few questions about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bgbeidas,

From these CAT scores, it certainly appears that you're in a good position to hit your goal score on Test Day. I just have a few questions about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

Rich

Hi Rich,

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) No
5) Yes, the last one but I took that three months ago and didn't review it the first time around.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
bgbeidas wrote:
So, now that I have hit Q49 and V47 in separate tests, I feel that I am capable of scoring a 750+. With three weeks until test day, how do I work to achieve my max score in both sections on that day? Is it simply a matter of hoping my strengths appear on the Quant section? What sort of studying can I really accomplish in the next three weeks? I do plan on buying Exam pack 2 and taking at least 3 more full length CATs, but am also wondering what else I can do to supplement this.
It'll be interesting to see how your exam pack 2 tests go. One suggestion: try not to focus too much on hitting both Q49 and V47 on test day. Getting your quant back to 48 or 49 is probably going to be more important than bumping your verbal from 41/42 to 47.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bgbeidas,

We really have to ignore that last CAT result (the Verbal Scaled Score is an 'outlier' relative to your other performances and you openly admit to having taken that CAT before). That notwithstanding, you're still in a great position to hit your score goal on Test Day. At your scoring level, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes, so you have to do all of the necessary work to eliminate them from your 'process.'

On each of your CATs, how many questions did you get wrong that you COULD/SHOULD have gotten correct? THOSE errors are the things that you have to deal with. The precision of your work will likely be the difference in the handful of points that you're looking for. Little mistakes tend to occur when a Test Taker refuses to write information down on the pad (any time you choose to do work 'in your head', you run the risk of a little mistake). These last 3 weeks should be focused on honing that 'precision.' The GMAT will give you the score that you EARN, so you have to be ready to earn all of those points.

Rich
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Tying it all together - Where to from here? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I am no longer active on this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 30 Mar 2016, 09:42.
Last edited by dabral on 20 Aug 2023, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
bgbeidas wrote:
So, now that I have hit Q49 and V47 in separate tests, I feel that I am capable of scoring a 750+. With three weeks until test day, how do I work to achieve my max score in both sections on that day? Is it simply a matter of hoping my strengths appear on the Quant section? What sort of studying can I really accomplish in the next three weeks? I do plan on buying Exam pack 2 and taking at least 3 more full length CATs, but am also wondering what else I can do to supplement this.
It'll be interesting to see how your exam pack 2 tests go. One suggestion: try not to focus too much on hitting both Q49 and V47 on test day. Getting your quant back to 48 or 49 is probably going to be more important than bumping your verbal from 41/42 to 47.

So I got a 760 on Exam 6 from Exam Pack 2. Will take the other one by Friday and have my exam on the 20th April (next Wednesday). Would taking my last exam on Friday be okay? I'm planing on spending the weekend +Monday and Tuesday winding down and reviewing tactics and slight weaknesses.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bgbeidas,

Taking one more CAT during this last week before your Official GMAT isn't really necessary. In the broad sense, you have to ask what you would gain by doing so (and what distractions might it provide if you don't score at the same level as your last CAT?)? You're already scoring at a high level, so your time would be better spent on light review and getting some extra rest.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
bgbeidas wrote:
So I got a 760 on Exam 6 from Exam Pack 2. Will take the other one by Friday and have my exam on the 20th April (next Wednesday). Would taking my last exam on Friday be okay? I'm planing on spending the weekend +Monday and Tuesday winding down and reviewing tactics and slight weaknesses.
You're performing at a level where it really needs to be you who takes a call on this. If I were you, I'd certainly take that last test before the main exam. But then again, that's probably because I already have a "safe" score. Two things you need to watch out for over here: energy and state of mind. You want to make sure that you're at the top of your game on exam day and you can't let that last score affect you too much (you can't let it make you worried or too confident).

However, because your scores have just been going up and up, you might want to focus on consolidation at this stage. That is, focus on getting a good, but not necessarily 760 or 760+, score now and keep the "all-out" mindset for a second attempt.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Okay, thanks to the both of you. I think I will stay away from the exam for now. I have a couple of things I would like to review before the test and it wouldn't hurt to have a fresh GMAT Prep CAT incase I have to go for a retake in 3 weeks time.
GMAT Club Bot