Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 20:08 It is currently 01 May 2024, 20:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620588 [3]
Given Kudos: 81712
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620588 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: V06-33 [#permalink]
What about the use of the pronoun her in the answer C. Is that OK?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, were present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where she delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

A. The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, were present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where she delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.
B. Including the editor’s secretary Mr. James, the editor’s team of expert writers were present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the editor delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.
C. The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, was present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the editor delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.
D. The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, was present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the delivery of speech was done by the editor on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.
E. The editor’s team of expert writers and her secretary Mr. James was present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the editor delivered the keynote speech on influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

A legthy sentence with seemingly very different answer choices, but if one notices that there are a few common grammatical errors, one can answer question easily.
  1. Verb “were” should be singular as “the editor’s team” is singular. “She” on the other hand is an ambiguous pronoun with no clear antecedent.
  2. Again the same error incorrect usage of “were”
  3. Correct. This choice addresses all the issues, “the editor” is used in place of “she” which makes it clear that it is the editor who is delivering the keynote speech.
  4. Passive construction “was done by” is less preferred to other choices in active voice construction.
  5. This choice combines “the editor’s team” and “her secretary” thus making a plural subject, which requires a plural verb. Here the use of “was” is incorrect.

Answer: C

Hi Brunel ,

I have a doubt regarding usage of (editor's team) , this is possessive noun so instead of using her secretaryThe editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James shouldn't it be editor secretary.

Kindly through light on this .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Cranfield '16
Send PM
same doubt as kanigmat011. What is the antecedent of pronoun 'her' in the statement?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
kanigmat011 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, were present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where she delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

A. The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, were present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where she delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.
B. Including the editor’s secretary Mr. James, the editor’s team of expert writers were present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the editor delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.
C. The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, was present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the editor delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.
D. The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, was present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the delivery of speech was done by the editor on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.
E. The editor’s team of expert writers and her secretary Mr. James was present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the editor delivered the keynote speech on influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

A legthy sentence with seemingly very different answer choices, but if one notices that there are a few common grammatical errors, one can answer question easily.
  1. Verb “were” should be singular as “the editor’s team” is singular. “She” on the other hand is an ambiguous pronoun with no clear antecedent.
  2. Again the same error incorrect usage of “were”
  3. Correct. This choice addresses all the issues, “the editor” is used in place of “she” which makes it clear that it is the editor who is delivering the keynote speech.
  4. Passive construction “was done by” is less preferred to other choices in active voice construction.
  5. This choice combines “the editor’s team” and “her secretary” thus making a plural subject, which requires a plural verb. Here the use of “was” is incorrect.

Answer: C

Hi Brunel ,

I have a doubt regarding usage of (editor's team) , this is possessive noun so instead of using her secretaryThe editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James shouldn't it be editor secretary.

Kindly through light on this .

You are right. Since the sentence says "editor's team", "her" cannot refer to editor.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I strongly believe the OA is incorrect. I picked option B.

A pronoun must refer to a noun. In option C, "The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary", the pronoun her illogically refers to team. Given that, i believe B is a better option, since while team is usually singluar on the GMAT, the plural usage below doesnt contradict itself in the rest of the sentence.

We could argue over whether team is singular or plural, but i dont think there can be any argument about whether her can refer to team
Also, as far as i know, English as such doesnt enforce that team take up singular form of a verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I strongly believe the OA is incorrect. I picked option B.

A pronoun must refer to a noun. In option C, "The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary", the pronoun her illogically refers to team. Given that, i believe B is a better option, since while team is usually singluar on the GMAT, the plural usage below doesnt contradict itself in the rest of the sentence.

We could argue over whether team is singular or plural, but i dont think there can be any argument about whether her can refer to team
Also, as far as i know, English as such doesnt enforce that team take up singular form of a verb.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
+1 C

Possessive pronoun can refer back to possessive noun. So, use of "her" is correct here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Hi Bunuel, i have got this question in my gmatclub test. I have the same doubt - precedent of 'her'- as others member have. Request you to pls put clarity on this. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.87
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation. Hi there,
I do understand why c is the best choice but still I do not understand as to what "her" in 'her secretary' is referring to,ideally it should refer to editor but the use of apostrophe after editor makes it a modifier of team,
so is it referring to the second editor in the latter part of the sentence.Please elaborate as this is causing a problem for me in similar kind of constructions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Same doubt here as raised by AA2014 and others. Experts please clarify!! What is the antecedent of pronoun 'her' in the statement??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Possessive case pronouns: my, his, her, their, its

Subject case pronouns: I, you, he, she, it, we, they

since her is a possessive case pronoun it rightly refers to the editor’s team of expert writers.
Hence option C is correct
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620588 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
This question has been retired and removed from Tests' database (it's a duplicate of V05-12).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92987 posts