Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 17:56 It is currently 06 May 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65135 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65135 [0]
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Expert Reply
DanielEMZ wrote:
Hello karishma ma'am, I hope you are doing well!

Quote:
Archaeologists use technology to analyze ancient sites. It is likely that this technology will advance considerably in the near future, allowing archaeologists to gather more information that is currently possible. If they study certain sites now, they risk contaminating or compromising them for the future. Therefore, in order to maximize the potential for gathering knowledge in the long run, a team of archaeologists plans to delay examination of a newly excavated site
OG 2020, Q:638

"Which of the following would be most useful to investigate for the purpose of evaluating the plan's prospects for achieving its goal?"

What type of question does this question stem belong to?

I could not decide whether it is a strengthen question or perhaps another type?

Thank you!

Hey DanielEMZ,

"Which of the following would be most useful to investigate for the purpose of evaluating the plan's prospects for achieving its goal?"

This is a "useful to evaluate" question. I have discussed this in detail in the two posts given below:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/0 ... reasoning/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/0 ... s-part-ii/
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Hi VeritasKarishma ,

could you please help me to come out of this mess in mind:-

https://gmatclub.com/forum/political-ad ... l#p2565245

Quote:
Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont's leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont's tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont's tenure.

(B) Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.

(C) Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.

(D) The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.

(E) The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.

This question really need your expertise suggestion.

I read word by word and calculated mathematically but still i get C answer again and again and D is rejected again and again.

Please check why
Quote:
Quote:
(C) Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.

Your explanation:
Quote:
We already know that there has been a net increase in the NUMBER of jobs since the mayor has taken office. This is true regardless of whether choice (C) is true. Either way, we still don't know whether the average paycheck in the city has increased or decreased because we don't know anything about the average pay of the lost jobs. (C) doesn't impact the argument and can be eliminated.

My Explanation :
I think in the statement : Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.
It talks about the same JOB that were created. IT means the average salary of LOST jobs was higher than average . Hence the average would REDUCE for SURE.

Mathematically,
Before number of jobs = X (100 ) and average salary U( 100$)
New jobs created = Y ( 50) and average salary V (>U)( 200$)
Average = 133.33$

New jobs lost = Z(10) and average salary V (>U)( 200$)
New new average=[ 100*100 + 50*200 – 10*200]/ (100+50-10)= 20000-5000/100 = 128.5$

Average SALARY IS DECREASED.

Hence STRENGTHEN

Quote:
Quote:
(D) The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.

Your explanation:
Quote:
The ad compares the average pay of the NEW jobs to the average pay of jobs citywide. But how does the average pay of the new jobs compare to the average pay of the jobs that were lost? What if the average pay of the jobs lost was HIGHER than the average pay of the new jobs? In that case, there would have been a net DECREASE in average pay citywide, contradicting the conclusion of the ad.

My Explanation:
FINAL average would remain SAME( because average LOST == average CREATED)
Jobs lost but not lost jobs of higher salary.
It means:
New average = 133.33$
Lost jobs = 50 and average salary 133.33 lost
New new average=[ 100*100 + 50*200 – 50*133.33]/ (100+50-50)= 20000-5000/100 = 133.33$
Average salary REMAIN SAME.

Hence D only says it WOULD NOT INCREASE. BUT C proves REDUCE.
SO C is ahead of D.

hence final answer should be C.

Anyone's help would be APPRECIABLE.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma ,

could you please help me to come out of this mess in mind:-

https://gmatclub.com/forum/political-ad ... l#p2565245

Quote:
Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont's leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont's tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont's tenure.

(B) Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.

(E) The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.

This question really need your expertise suggestion.

I read word by word and calculated mathematically but still i get C answer again and again and D is rejected again and again.

Please check why
Quote:
Quote:

Your explanation:
Quote:
We already know that there has been a net increase in the NUMBER of jobs since the mayor has taken office. This is true regardless of whether choice (C) is true. Either way, we still don't know whether the average paycheck in the city has increased or decreased because we don't know anything about the average pay of the lost jobs. (C) doesn't impact the argument and can be eliminated.

My Explanation :
I think in the statement : Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.
It talks about the same JOB that were created. IT means the average salary of LOST jobs was higher than average . Hence the average would REDUCE for SURE.

Mathematically,
Average = 133.33$

New jobs lost = Z(10) and average salary V (>U)( 200$)
New new average=[ 100*100 + 50*200 – 10*200]/ (100+50-10)= 20000-5000/100 = 128.5$

Average SALARY IS DECREASED.

Hence STRENGTHEN

Quote:
Quote:

Your explanation:
Quote:
The ad compares the average pay of the NEW jobs to the average pay of jobs citywide. But how does the average pay of the new jobs compare to the average pay of the jobs that were lost? What if the average pay of the jobs lost was HIGHER than the average pay of the new jobs? In that case, there would have been a net DECREASE in average pay citywide, contradicting the conclusion of the ad.

My Explanation:
FINAL average would remain SAME( because average LOST == average CREATED)
Jobs lost but not lost jobs of higher salary.
It means:
New average = 133.33$
Lost jobs = 50 and average salary 133.33 lost
New new average=[ 100*100 + 50*200 – 50*133.33]/ (100+50-50)= 20000-5000/100 = 133.33$
Average salary REMAIN SAME.

Hence D only says it WOULD NOT INCREASE. BUT C proves REDUCE.
SO C is ahead of D.

hence final answer should be C.

Anyone's help would be APPRECIABLE.

Hey imSKR,

In (C), we don't know what the new jobs that were lost were paying. Hence arriving at $128.5 figure is not correct.
Also, for jobs lost, more new jobs have been created which pay higher than the new average so avg may have still continued to increase.

For option (D), see why the calculations work: https://gmatclub.com/forum/political-ad ... l#p2571934
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello dear VeritasKarishma ,

I have a question regarding one of the answer choices in question 670, page 670 ( :D ), OG 2020.

Quote:
"Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven unsuccessful in the town of Ardane. In many nearby towns, speed humps (raised areas of pavement placed across residential streets, about 300 feet apart) have reduced traffic speeds on residential streets by 20 to 25 percent. In order to reduce traffic speed and thereby enhance safety in residential neighborhoods, Ardane's transportation commission plans to install multiple speed humps in those neighborhoods"

Which of the following, if true, identifies a potentially serious drawback to the plan for installing speed humps in Ardane?

(A) On residential street without speed humps, many vehicles travel at speeds more than 25 percent above the posted speed limit.

(B) Because of their high weight, emergency vehicles such as fire trucks and ambulances must slow almost to a stop at speed humps.

(C) The residential speed limit in Ardane is higher than that of the nearby towns where speed humps were installled.

(D) Motorists who are not familiar with the streets in Ardane's residential district would be likely to encounter the speed humps unawares unless warned by signs and painted indicators.

(E) Bicyclists generally prefer that speed humps be constructed so as to leave a space on the side of the road where bicycles can travel without going over the humps.

The correct answer is B, but the explanation for D was slightly confusing to me:
Quote:
D This is unlikely to be a drawback, since such warning signs are typically put in place whenever speeds humps are installed.

From what I have learned, using PowerScore, whenever we use an answer choice to answer a critical reasoning question, we MUST accept the answer choices as factual (because we are basing our answers upon them).

So, how come the explanation to answer choice D kind of refute this choice? As far as we are concerned, motorists would likely to encounter the speed humps unawares, that's it. But the explanation tries to explain why it is not likely to happen.

Thank you!
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DanielEMZ wrote:
Hello dear VeritasKarishma ,

I have a question regarding one of the answer choices in question 670, page 670 ( :D ), OG 2020.

Quote:
"Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven unsuccessful in the town of Ardane. In many nearby towns, speed humps (raised areas of pavement placed across residential streets, about 300 feet apart) have reduced traffic speeds on residential streets by 20 to 25 percent. In order to reduce traffic speed and thereby enhance safety in residential neighborhoods, Ardane's transportation commission plans to install multiple speed humps in those neighborhoods"

Which of the following, if true, identifies a potentially serious drawback to the plan for installing speed humps in Ardane?

(A) On residential street without speed humps, many vehicles travel at speeds more than 25 percent above the posted speed limit.

(B) Because of their high weight, emergency vehicles such as fire trucks and ambulances must slow almost to a stop at speed humps.

(C) The residential speed limit in Ardane is higher than that of the nearby towns where speed humps were installled.

(D) Motorists who are not familiar with the streets in Ardane's residential district would be likely to encounter the speed humps unawares unless warned by signs and painted indicators.

(E) Bicyclists generally prefer that speed humps be constructed so as to leave a space on the side of the road where bicycles can travel without going over the humps.

The correct answer is B, but the explanation for D was slightly confusing to me:
Quote:
D This is unlikely to be a drawback, since such warning signs are typically put in place whenever speeds humps are installed.

From what I have learned, using PowerScore, whenever we use an answer choice to answer a critical reasoning question, we MUST accept the answer choices as factual (because we are basing our answers upon them).

So, how come the explanation to answer choice D kind of refute this choice? As far as we are concerned, motorists would likely to encounter the speed humps unawares, that's it. But the explanation tries to explain why it is not likely to happen.

Thank you!

Hey DanielEMZ,

Yes, you have to take the options to be true. Note how the question is framed:
"Which of the following, if true, ..."

So you have to assume the options to be true.

Option (D) says that unless they are warned by signs, guest motorists will encounter the humps unawares. This is not a drawback to the plan because warning by signs is quite feasible and commonplace. A plan is problematic if it brings up unresolvable issues (option (B)) or expensive to resolve issues. Here, option (D) itself gives you the solution to a potential problem. The solution is easily implementable so it doesn't seem to make the plan problematic.
Option (B), on the other hand, seems like an actual problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hiii VeritasKarishma,

I am struggling in hard assumptions questions, any specific advise for assumptions questions?
Additionally my timing in OG hard question is bad, I take more than 2:10 to solve, even after so much of practice, and If I try to speed up my accuracy goes down.
VP
VP
Send PM
Quote:
Rabbits were introduced to Numa Island in the nineteenth century. Overgrazing by the enormous population of rabbits now menaces the island’s agriculture. The government proposes to reduce the population by using a virus that has caused devastating epidemics in rabbit populations elsewhere. There is, however, a chance that the virus will infect the bilby, an endangered native marsupial. The government’s plan, therefore, may serve the interests of agriculture but will clearly increase the threat to native wildlife.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. There is less chance that the virus will infect domestic animals on Numa than that it will infect bilbies.
B. There are no species of animals on the island that prey on the rabbits.
C. Overgrazing by rabbits endangers many of the plants on which bilbies feed.
D. The virus that the government proposes to use has been successfully used elsewhere to control populations of rabbits.
E. There is no alternative means of reducing the rabbit population that would involve no threat to the bilby.

Conclusion: The government’s plan, therefore, may serve the interests of agriculture but will clearly increase the threat to native wildlife.

bilby, an endangered native marsupial == animal
native wildlife.== animal

There are no animals on island no animal (including marsupial and wild animal) would feed on rabbits that were killed by virus. Hence no danger of spreading virus to any animal (including native wildlife)
So clearly weaken the threat to native wildlife

>> the discussion started: Overgrazing by the enormous population of rabbits now menaces the island’s agriculture. Because rabbits maybe eating lot of these plants anyways.
Moreover conclusion is about threat to native wildlife. But this options talks about bilbies.

Please help to reach at correct answer considering above lines of thoughts.

VeritasKarishma
https://gmatclub.com/forum/rabbits-were ... l#p2574784
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65135 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Thelionking1234 wrote:
Hiii VeritasKarishma,

I am struggling in hard assumptions questions, any specific advise for assumptions questions?
Additionally my timing in OG hard question is bad, I take more than 2:10 to solve, even after so much of practice, and If I try to speed up my accuracy goes down.

Hey Thelionking1234,

Assumption questions can be hard sometimes. Here are my discussions on them:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/0 ... sumptions/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/0 ... -question/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/0 ... ons-again/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/0 ... ions-gmat/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/0 ... inference/

Taking up to 3 mins on tough CR questions is acceptable. Try to focus on the points of interest (conclusion in strengthen/weaken questions, gap in assumption questions etc) to see high accuracy.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
Rabbits were introduced to Numa Island in the nineteenth century. Overgrazing by the enormous population of rabbits now menaces the island’s agriculture. The government proposes to reduce the population by using a virus that has caused devastating epidemics in rabbit populations elsewhere. There is, however, a chance that the virus will infect the bilby, an endangered native marsupial. The government’s plan, therefore, may serve the interests of agriculture but will clearly increase the threat to native wildlife.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. There is less chance that the virus will infect domestic animals on Numa than that it will infect bilbies.
D. The virus that the government proposes to use has been successfully used elsewhere to control populations of rabbits.
E. There is no alternative means of reducing the rabbit population that would involve no threat to the bilby.

Conclusion: The government’s plan, therefore, may serve the interests of agriculture but will clearly increase the threat to native wildlife.

bilby, an endangered native marsupial == animal
native wildlife.== animal

There are no animals on island no animal (including marsupial and wild animal) would feed on rabbits that were killed by virus. Hence no danger of spreading virus to any animal (including native wildlife)
So clearly weaken the threat to native wildlife

>> the discussion started: Overgrazing by the enormous population of rabbits now menaces the island’s agriculture. Because rabbits maybe eating lot of these plants anyways.
Moreover conclusion is about threat to native wildlife. But this options talks about bilbies.

Please help to reach at correct answer considering above lines of thoughts.

VeritasKarishma
https://gmatclub.com/forum/rabbits-were ... l#p2574784

Hey imSKR,

Here you go:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/rabbits-were ... l#p2575161
VP
VP
Send PM
https://gmatclub.com/forum/editorial-re ... l#p2577147

Quote:
Editorial: Regulations recently imposed by the government of Risemia call for unprecedented reductions in the amounts of pollutants manufacturers are allowed to discharge into the environment. It will take costly new pollution control equipment requiring expensive maintenance to comply with these regulations. Resultant price increases for Risemian manufactured goods will lead to the loss of some export markets. Clearly, therefore, annual exports of Risemian manufactured goods will in the future occur at diminished levels.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the editorial?

(A) The need to comply with the new regulations will stimulate the development within Risemia of new pollution control equipment for which a strong worldwide demand is likely to emerge.

(B) The proposed regulations include a schedule of fines for noncompliance that escalate steeply in cases of repeated noncompliance.

(C) Savings from utilizing the chemicals captured by the pollution control equipment will remain far below the cost of maintaining the equipment.

(D) By international standards, the levels of pollutants currently emitted by some of Risemia's manufacturing plants are not considered excessive.

(E) The stockholders of most of Risemia's manufacturing corporations exert substantial pressure on the corporations to comply with environmental laws.

Quote:
Quote:
Clearly, therefore, annual exports of Risemian manufactured goods will in the future occur at diminished levels.

1. the conclusion is focusing only on manufactured goods but not on any goods from Risemian. Then why A is correct - SEEMS IRRELEVANT
2. Even if we assume new equipment is also under category of "manufactured goods in Risemian", it doesn't mean the new equipment would be in demand from Risemian.--SEEMS NOT STRENGTHENING and i need to assume extra that new equipment is also manufactured goods ( but in the passage, manufactured goods means that are related with amounts of pollutants as per passage)

VeritasKarishma : please suggest
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/editorial-regulations-recently-imposed-by-the-government-of-risemia-123190.html#p2577147

Quote:
Editorial: Regulations recently imposed by the government of Risemia call for unprecedented reductions in the amounts of pollutants manufacturers are allowed to discharge into the environment. It will take costly new pollution control equipment requiring expensive maintenance to comply with these regulations. Resultant price increases for Risemian manufactured goods will lead to the loss of some export markets. Clearly, therefore, annual exports of Risemian manufactured goods will in the future occur at diminished levels.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the editorial?

(A) The need to comply with the new regulations will stimulate the development within Risemia of new pollution control equipment for which a strong worldwide demand is likely to emerge.

(B) The proposed regulations include a schedule of fines for noncompliance that escalate steeply in cases of repeated noncompliance.

(C) Savings from utilizing the chemicals captured by the pollution control equipment will remain far below the cost of maintaining the equipment.

(D) By international standards, the levels of pollutants currently emitted by some of Risemia's manufacturing plants are not considered excessive.

(E) The stockholders of most of Risemia's manufacturing corporations exert substantial pressure on the corporations to comply with environmental laws.

Quote:
Quote:
Clearly, therefore, annual exports of Risemian manufactured goods will in the future occur at diminished levels.

1. the conclusion is focusing only on manufactured goods but not on any goods from Risemian. Then why A is correct - SEEMS IRRELEVANT
2. Even if we assume new equipment is also under category of "manufactured goods in Risemian", it doesn't mean the new equipment would be in demand from Risemian.--SEEMS NOT STRENGTHENING and i need to assume extra that new equipment is also manufactured goods ( but in the passage, manufactured goods means that are related with amounts of pollutants as per passage)

VeritasKarishma : please suggest

Hey imSKR,

Here you go: https://gmatclub.com/forum/editorial-re ... l#p2579734
VP
VP
Send PM
https://gmatclub.com/forum/on-pacific-i ... l#p2589345

I would be glad if someone could help me to clarify mistakes on my thoughts.

Quote:
On Pacific islands, a newly arrived gecko species, the house gecko, is displacing the previously established mourning gecko in urban areas, but populations of the two species are more stable in rural areas far from human settlement. The house gecko does not attack the mourning gecko, but in areas where insects congregate it prevents the mourning gecko from feeding on them.

Quote:
Which of the following contributes most to an explanation of the difference between gecko populations in urban and rural areas?

House gecko: replacing mourning gecko in Urban Areas
But stable in rural
Note: House gecko doesn’t attack mourning gecko but it doesn’t let mourning gecko to eat insects.

It means:
House gecko is stronger
They both eat insects and somehow house gecko wins.

Quote:
A. In urban areas, geckos are valued because they eat so many insects.

This could be an answer?
It means, urban areas have more insects , and house gecko is stronger so it doesn’t let eat mourning gecko to eat these insects and hence mourning population is being replaced.
So A could be answer
Quote:
B. Geckos defend territories against other members of the same species.

Geckos defend their territories and housing geckos are stronger. But it doesn’t explain about concept of eating insects and why housing gecko prevents mourning geckos
Quote:
C. House geckos that arrive on islands are carried there in boats and planes.

It doesn’t explain any relation with insects and why housing gecko prevents mourning geckos
Quote:
D. places where there are lighted buildings, insects tend to gather around the light.

The lighted buildings could be in urban and rural. There could be less lighted buildings or less storey buildings in rural and more lighted buildings and high storey buildings in urban, so relatively concept is same and it doesn’t differentiate specifically why housing gecko prevents mourning geckos
Quote:
E. Mourning geckos are all females and reproduce asexually, but house geckos reproduce sexually.

It is difficult to make an assumption that how females reproduce has any effect on their competition of eating insects. It maybe possible that after reproducing asexually, mourning geckos become weak in preying insects? But still It doesn’t explain why housing gecko prevents mourning geckos.

Please check why A can't be an answer. Why D is answer ( see my explanation). AM i right in rejecting B,C ?
please suggest VeritasKarishma
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
In the United States in 1986, the average rate of violent crime in states with strict gun-control laws was 645 crimes per 100,000 persons: about 50 percent higher than the average rate in the eleven states where strict gun-control laws have never been passed. Thus one way to reduce violent crime is to repeal strict gun control laws.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

(A) The annual rate of violent crime in states with strict gun-control laws has decreased since the passage of those laws.

(B) In states with strict gun-control laws, few individuals are prosecuted for violating such laws.

(C) In states without strict gun-control laws, many individuals have had no formal training in the use of firearms.

(D) The annual rate of nonviolent crime is lower in states with strict gun-control laws than in states without such laws.

(E) Less than half of the individuals who reside in states without strict gun-control laws own a gun.

Hello Karishma.
Need help with choice B.

Conclusion: Since States without Gun laws have lower violent crime rate than states with Gun Laws, in order to reduce the crime rates, ONE of the way could be to abolish Gun Laws.

Weakener: Why remove current laws. They are good enough. Hence no need to repeal. Anything which supports this.

Answer A- Fits perfectly. Current Laws have worked. No need to abolish
Choice B: Current laws are not enforced strongly enough. This may weaken it if we assume that may be strong enforcement would reduce the crime rate. But since no such information given and this cant be 100% true, is this a good basis to reject this choice?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
Kudos
imSKR wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/on-pacific-islands-a-newly-arrived-gecko-species-the-house-42722-20.html#p2589345

Quote:
On Pacific islands, a newly arrived gecko species, the house gecko, is displacing the previously established mourning gecko in urban areas, but populations of the two species are more stable in rural areas far from human settlement. The house gecko does not attack the mourning gecko, but in areas where insects congregate it prevents the mourning gecko from feeding on them.

Quote:
Which of the following contributes most to an explanation of the difference between gecko populations in urban and rural areas?

But stable in rural
Note: House gecko doesn’t attack mourning gecko but it doesn’t let mourning gecko to eat insects.

It means:
House gecko is stronger

Quote:

This could be an answer?
It means, urban areas have more insects , and house gecko is stronger so it doesn’t let eat mourning gecko to eat these insects and hence mourning population is being replaced.
So A could be answer
Quote:

Geckos defend their territories and housing geckos are stronger. But it doesn’t explain about concept of eating insects and why housing gecko prevents mourning geckos
Quote:

It doesn’t explain any relation with insects and why housing gecko prevents mourning geckos
Quote:
D. places where there are lighted buildings, insects tend to gather around the light.

The lighted buildings could be in urban and rural. There could be less lighted buildings or less storey buildings in rural and more lighted buildings and high storey buildings in urban, so relatively concept is same and it doesn’t differentiate specifically why housing gecko prevents mourning geckos
Quote:
E. Mourning geckos are all females and reproduce asexually, but house geckos reproduce sexually.

It is difficult to make an assumption that how females reproduce has any effect on their competition of eating insects. It maybe possible that after reproducing asexually, mourning geckos become weak in preying insects? But still It doesn’t explain why housing gecko prevents mourning geckos.

Please check why A can't be an answer. Why D is answer ( see my explanation). AM i right in rejecting B,C ?

Hey.
Let me try.
So the passage says HG doesn't let MG stabilize in urban area, but non urban areas the population is stable. Thats might mean some conflicts are there in urban areas but not in non urban.
OKAY, so one such conflict is given, Its not a physical fight, but HG doesn't let MG feed on insects in area where there are more human settlement. But why this becomes a problem specifically in urban areas? Also, conflict would happen when there are instances when MG and HG interact with each or come face to face.
Could be due to the fact that insects breed in corners or specific areas like drains ( may be). Urban settlements have corners since there are buildings, and hence HG and MG MOSTLY come to those defined areas for insect consumption. Non urban areas are mostly wide open.Hence less corners or pre defined areas and hence less interaction.

Option D attacks exactly the same thinking. Streetlights.Pre defined area-OKAY there could be many street lights but a given sector MG and HG population might converge to those sectors street lights only. MORE interaction and hence more conflict.YOu did mention about the number of street lights. And that's also a point. More street lights, more instances of interactions, more conflict.

Option A says geckos are valued--- though it does say that geckos feed on insects, but that's true for both Geckos and already given in the passage. It doesn't help to justify why there is a diff between conflicts in Urban and non urban areas.

Hope it helps :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Question on conditional logic.

Per my understanding, this is the theory on conditional logic

If X --> then Y, then Not Y --> Not X is a valid inference

In order to test this, i came up with an if-then statement.

If I own a Lamborghini, I must be rich

Why is this considered a valid inference?
I am not rich (Not Y) , then I don't own a Lamborghini. (Not X)

I was surprised to see the above statement a legitimate inference per my reading of CR material

Is it not possible that i am NOT rich but i can STILL own a Lamborghini ? I could have stolen the car | a friend could have given it to me completely free ....

Thoughts ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi Karishma - thank you so much for what you do

Question from the Powerscore Guide

Why is E wrong ?

The first sentence clearly says Blood tests used to determine pregnancy can at times be inconclusive

Hence E seemed right to me

Thoughts ?
Attachments

Test.JPG
Test.JPG [ 58.15 KiB | Viewed 1527 times ]

Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/on-pacific-islands-a-newly-arrived-gecko-species-the-house-42722-20.html#p2589345

Quote:

Quote:

But stable in rural

It means:
House gecko is stronger

Quote:

This could be an answer?
So A could be answer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey imSKR,

Done. Please check the link.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30  ...  34   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts