Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [25]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [54]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [4]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ok Karishma I have read your posts and found out that you are better at understanding the internal working of mathematics (QUANT) in connection with GMAT then anybody else in this forum. The problem with me is that this is my first ever CAT test in life so I went head on brute force with GMAT which is to "know all to solve all" but I think GMAT is ocean and this strategy is taking me nowhere. I have gone thru all the basic quant requirement from reputable resources and my concepts are fine.

so here is the problem i gave the GMAT club test and scored 8/31 correct and wrote a furious review about the club test but later when I reviewed where I went wrong I figured out that, it is not the theory where I am missing the problem is something else.

I want to give you an analogy to understand what that is. Suppose an amateur starts to play chess what he will see is the pieces and how to move them but he will not know all the tactics. Maybe he will even lose the sight of pieces where they are placed amid game due to extreme concentration on some other part of the board. But it does not mean that his brain is dull it means that his brain is still not wired for that. what does wired means here is that he can not spot the common patterns quickly, yet.

The problem what I am facing is I am doing well in 600-700 level range but when it comes to 700+ I think I am not wired and I think one cannot be wired for the 700+ since each question is a stand-alone question and requires some cognitive thinking which takes time. Maybe after going through 100s of 700+, I could say there is a pattern too but for time being I have to stand at 700+ and invest some brain there to find the pattern which costs time in the actual test. I don't have time to go thru 100s of 700+ to wire my brain so what I have decided is I want Q49 for which best range to practice questions is 600-700.

I have gone thru all OG tags 600-700 here is where I want your help I want you to spot me what type of question bank I should practice to know all common pattern in Q49 range so that I don't have to lose time in making the mental picture and doing the cognitive thinking.

Side note.
I am not running away from nor I am afraid of 700+ given more time I could crack them easily but I am being smart here by saving time, rather than getting the punch on the face and learn from it "I want to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee".
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [3]
Send PM
Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
alitariquet wrote:
ok Karishma I have read your posts and found out that you are better at understanding the internal working of mathematics (QUANT) in connection with GMAT then anybody else in this forum. The problem with me is that this is my first ever CAT test in life so I went head on brute force with GMAT which is to "know all to solve all" but I think GMAT is ocean and this strategy is taking me nowhere. I have gone thru all the basic quant requirement from reputable resources and my concepts are fine.

so here is the problem i gave the GMAT club test and scored 8/31 correct and wrote a furious review about the club test but later when I reviewed where I went wrong I figured out that, it is not the theory where I am missing the problem is something else.

I want to give you an analogy to understand what that is. Suppose an amateur starts to play chess what he will see is the pieces and how to move them but he will not know all the tactics. Maybe he will even lose the sight of pieces where they are placed amid game due to extreme concentration on some other part of the board. But it does not mean that his brain is dull it means that his brain is still not wired for that. what does wired means here is that he can not spot the common patterns quickly, yet.

The problem what I am facing is I am doing well in 600-700 level range but when it comes to 700+ I think I am not wired and I think one cannot be wired for the 700+ since each question is a stand-alone question and requires some cognitive thinking which takes time. Maybe after going through 100s of 700+, I could say there is a pattern too but for time being I have to stand at 700+ and invest some brain there to find the pattern which costs time in the actual test. I don't have time to go thru 100s of 700+ to wire my brain so what I have decided is I want Q49 for which best range to practice questions is 600-700.

I have gone thru all OG tags 600-700 here is where I want your help I want you to spot me what type of question bank I should practice to know all common pattern in Q49 range so that I don't have to lose time in making the mental picture and doing the cognitive thinking.

Side note.
I am not running away from nor I am afraid of 700+ given more time I could crack them easily but I am being smart here by saving time, rather than getting the punch on the face and learn from it "I want to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee".

Ah! The first query on my thread is a challenge! :)
What I get from your post is that you are looking to cover all patterns (or at least as many as you can) of medium-difficult level. For that, OG doesn't really give an accurate picture. GMAT Official practice exams will do a much better job (though not exhaustive). Also, standard test prep companies take care of introducing most patterns over their coursework.

But if I am to be honest, I don't really believe in "questions are made keeping a finite number of patterns in mind" theory. I believe in concepts. After that, give me a question of any new pattern and I will solve it. 700+ level question are harder only because it is more difficult to recognise the concept being tested in them. Application of the same may not be troublesome at all.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 04 Oct 2018, 04:53.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 17 Oct 2022, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [2]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math [#permalink]
Kudos
Karishma-Thank you for taking the time out to answering questions. I have been your follower of your solutions since many years and must say you are a star when it comes to GMAT. So here are my questions.

1. Can you share inputs on how to get to V44+ from V35/36?
2. How do I move from Q47/48 to Q51?
3. How do I get to 90-100% accuracy both in verbal and quant?

Also, I am guessing you would be having a high score to your credit?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 645
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello Karishma,

I am realty struggling with getting off with quant,can you help me decide a startergy what should I practice to start off,what resources to use and build up my quant skills. Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shrinidhi wrote:
Hello Karishma,

I am realty struggling with getting off with quant,can you help me decide a startergy what should I practice to start off,what resources to use and build up my quant skills. Thanks

Shrinidhi,

Please provide me details on your current level of prep in as much detail as possible. Here is an idea of things you need to cover:

Have you taken a prep test? If yes, what was your score? Your Q/V split? Your accuracy in easy/medium/hard questions?
Have you run through the complete curriculum of a test prep company? OG?
How comfortable are you with basic Arithmetic, Algebra etc?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.2
WE:Medicine and Health (Consulting)
Send PM
Thank you Karishma for taking your time out and helping us.

I recently gave my GMAT and got a very low GMAT score. I was more disappointed with my Q 47. On the test day, I took more than 2 mins on tougher questions especially DS. I had problems solving DS since the start of my prep. GMAT club quant tests helped me a lot, but I always fear on DS that I might be missing something else. "Should I plug more ? Did I plug in enough ?" And that attitude ultimately killed my test.

Even though I practiced many questions on this club on Functions and Inequalities, as I am uncomfortable with those topics, on test day, GMAT threw surprises and I succumbed.

Shed some light on to how to stop being overcautious on DS and few tips on handling Functions and Inequalities questions.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
HI Karishma

It really is helpful to read all of your posts. I have made it a habit to go through your posts everyday, and it really helps me a lot.

So The problem I am facing right now is time management. I have my Gmat on the 4th of November.
My lowest score on the Quant gmat club tests was 44 and the highest was 49. I mostly stay around 47-48-49.

According to my targets, I have to score Q50.
The only topics on which I have not solved 700 level questions are Probability, P and C, Statistics and coordinate geometry. I am slightly under confident in Geometry.
So out of these topics, what should I ideally cover?
I would like to believe that my basics on these topics are not bad.

Also it would be great if you could help me from where I could cover any of these topics efficiently.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Send PM
Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math [#permalink]
Hi karishma can you help me with following question/ general approach for following type of questions

The probability of the occurrence of event A is 0.50. The probability of the occurrence of event B is 0.40. What is the range of probability A will not happen AND B will not happen?

A. 0.1≤p≤0.5
B. 0.4≤p≤0.5
C. 0.5≤p≤0.6
D. 0.1≤p≤0.6
E. 0.2≤p≤0.5
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Send PM
Hello Veritaskarishma,

If you can suggest me A proper Plan/strategy to ace Quant(PS and DS) (i.e >90% accuracy)from scratch,it would be great.Like how to start,which resources to use, practice questions etc...
Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [2]
Send PM