GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jan 2019, 22:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

January 15, 2019

January 15, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Re: Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 00:43
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Staphyk wrote:
2 men and 3 women can finish a piece of work in 10 days. while 4 men can do it in 10 days. how many days can 3 men and 3 women take to finish the same work??
Please help me solve this Karishma

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

2 men and 3 women finish it in 10 days
4 men (2 men + 2 men) finish it in 10 days

So 3 women are equivalent to 2 men.

Then 3 men and 3 women are equivalent to 3 men and 2 men i.e. 5 men.

Now, 4 men complete the job in 10 days.
So 5 men will take 10*(4/5) = 8 days (fewer days will be taken so multiply by 4/5, the fraction less than 1)

For more on this method, check this post: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2015/1 ... made-easy/
Wow! got it ,Thanks very much

Intern
Intern
B
Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 12:34
| |Brand X | Brand Y|
MilesperGallon | 40 | 36 |
CostperGallon | $0.80 | $0.75 |
The table above gives the gasoline costs and consumption rates for a certain car driven at 50 miles per hour, using each of two brands of gasoline. How many miles farther can the car be driven at this speed on $12 worth of brand I gasoline than on $12 worth of brand Y gasoline?
Hello Karishma am totally confused on this question any efficient method?
Thank you

Intern
Intern
B
Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 13:22
Again, In a manufacturing plant, it takes 36 machines 4 hours of continuous work to fill 8 standard orders. At this rate, how many hours of continuous work by 72 machines are required to fill 12 standard orders?
This how I solved it
36machines——8orders——4hrs
72machines——12orders—— Xhrs
Now,Xhrs=4*(72/36)*(12/8) =12hrs
But was wrong multiplied by 72/36 since machine increased so fraction (>1) same applies to the orders, Where did my logic go wrong.
Also,when is it appropriate to use the chain rule W1/M*T= W2/M*T
Thank you

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
Re: Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 02:32
Staphyk wrote:
| |Brand X | Brand Y|
MilesperGallon | 40 | 36 |
CostperGallon | $0.80 | $0.75 |
The table above gives the gasoline costs and consumption rates for a certain car driven at 50 miles per hour, using each of two brands of gasoline. How many miles farther can the car be driven at this speed on $12 worth of brand I gasoline than on $12 worth of brand Y gasoline?
Hello Karishma am totally confused on this question any efficient method?
Thank you

Here you go: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-table-ab ... l#p2185231

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

D

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 02:37
Staphyk wrote:
Again, In a manufacturing plant, it takes 36 machines 4 hours of continuous work to fill 8 standard orders. At this rate, how many hours of continuous work by 72 machines are required to fill 12 standard orders?
This how I solved it
But was wrong multiplied by 72/36 since machine increased so fraction (>1) same applies to the orders, Where did my logic go wrong.
Thank you

You need to find the number of hours required.

When the number of machines go up from 36 to 72, considering everything else constant, will you need more hours or fewer hours? Since the number of machines is more now, you will need less time. More machines will work simultaneously so the work will get completed faster. So you need to multiply 4 by (36/72), the fraction less than 1.

As for orders, from 8 they have gone up to 12 i.e. the work needed to be done has increased. When work to be done increases, keeping everything else constant, will you need more hours or fewer? Since more work has to be done, you need more hours. So you multiply by 12/8, the fraction greater than 1.

4 * (36/72) * (12/8) = 3 hrs

Answer (A)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 05:41
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Staphyk wrote:
This how I solved it
Thank you

You need to find the number of hours required.

When the number of machines go up from 36 to 72, considering everything else constant, will you need more hours or fewer hours? Since the number of machines is more now, you will need less time. More machines will work simultaneously so the work will get completed faster. So you need to multiply 4 by (36/72), the fraction less than 1.

As for orders, from 8 they have gone up to 12 i.e. the work needed to be done has increased. When work to be done increases, keeping everything else constant, will you need more hours or fewer? Since more work has to be done, you need more hours. So you multiply by 12/8, the fraction greater than 1.

4 * (36/72) * (12/8) = 3 hrs

Answer (A)
got it now ,Thank you

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 10:43
Need your help with this question. Please help

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-parabola-i ... l#p2186783
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 04:33
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-xy-co ... 47203.html

Can you help me understand the concept of equidistant points?

What does this exactly mean?
More specifically i cannot understand case 2 mentioned in the discussion.

Case 1) Either a line that is equidistant from the two points must be passing from the the gap between the two points. In this case every point on the line will be equidistant from each of the two given points.

OR

Case 2) The line that is equidistant must be parallel to the line joining the two points (7, 7) and (1, 11). But this case is applicable only when the perpendicular distance of the Line from point is discussed

How is case 2 applicable?
If there are 2 points on a line : A and B.
We draw a parallel line CD.

In this case not every point in the line CD will be equidistant from A and B.

Looking forward to your opinion.

Regards
Nitesh
D

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 00:00
nitesh50 wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-xy-coordinate-system-what-is-the-slope-of-the-line-47203.html

Case 1) Either a line that is equidistant from the two points must be passing from the the gap between the two points. In this case every point on the line will be equidistant from each of the two given points.

OR

Case 2) The line that is equidistant must be parallel to the line joining the two points (7, 7) and (1, 11). But this case is applicable only when the perpendicular distance of the Line from point is discussed

Regards
Nitesh

Nitesh,

Distance of a point from a line is assumed to be the perpendicular distance.
If the line passes through the mid-point of two points, its perpendicular distance from both points will be equal (as explained by walker here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-xy-co ... ml#p452751)
So one way is that the line passes through origin and through the mid-point of PQ.

Alternatively, the line could be passing through origin and parallel to PQ. Then perpendicular distance from P to the line and perpendicular distance from Q to the line will be equal (perpendicular distance between two parallel lines remains same). In that case the line will have a slope of -2/3.

Karishma

D

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 00:07
vanam52923 wrote:
Need your help with this question. Please help

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-parabola-i ... l#p2186783

Here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-parabola-i ... l#p2187473

Karishma

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 01:39
VeritasKarishma wrote:
nitesh50 wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-xy-coordinate-system-what-is-the-slope-of-the-line-47203.html

OR

Regards
Nitesh

Nitesh,

If the line passes through the mid-point of two points, its perpendicular distance from both points will be equal (as explained by walker here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-xy-co ... ml#p452751)
So one way is that the line passes through origin and through the mid-point of PQ.

Alternatively, the line could be passing through origin and parallel to PQ. Then perpendicular distance from P to the line and perpendicular distance from Q to the line will be equal (perpendicular distance between two parallel lines remains same). In that case the line will have a slope of -2/3.

Hi VeritasKarishma

Thank you for the reply.

So just a clarification:
If 2 points are equidistant from a particular line, then can we say that the perpendicular distance of the points to the line is equal?

Regards
Nitesh
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 01:58
Hello Karishma hope you doing great
Please does being solid on only 500-600 level questions enable me get to Quant 45?
Am now at Quant 30 thus a 15points difference

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 04:03
Again , If 6 typists all working at the same rate can complete a document in 4hrs ,how many hours will it take 4 typist to complete the same document ?

Why is it that when solving this using proportion we use rate in the denominator instead of time like this 6/(1/4)=4/x where x is the rate of 4 typist versus using time in the denominator of the proportions which 6/4 =4/x which gives a wrong ans

D

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 20:15
nitesh50 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
nitesh50 wrote:

OR

Regards
Nitesh

Nitesh,

Hi VeritasKarishma

Thank you for the reply.

So just a clarification:
If 2 points are equidistant from a particular line, then can we say that the perpendicular distance of the points to the line is equal?

Regards
Nitesh

Yes Nitesh, that is correct.

Karishma

D

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 20:42
Staphyk wrote:
Please does being solid on only 500-600 level questions enable me get to Quant 45?

Staphyk, you will need to be comfortable with 650 level questions too to be in that score range. Note that GMAT will word the questions in an innovative way so even though you may know the concepts, it will take a bit of effort to actually arrive at them. You will need to learn to identify the concept being tested in different scenarios. So it is a good idea to work with 600 - 700 level questions.

Karishma

D

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 21:35
Staphyk wrote:
Again , If 6 typists all working at the same rate can complete a document in 4hrs ,how many hours will it take 4 typist to complete the same document ?

Why is it that when solving this using proportion we use rate in the denominator instead of time like this 6/(1/4)=4/x where x is the rate of 4 typist versus using time in the denominator of the proportions which 6/4 =4/x which gives a wrong ans

Look, 6 typists complete it in 4 hrs.
If you have 4 typists, they will take more than 4 hrs (fewer people to do the work).

4 hrs increases by a fraction. What is that fraction? The one by which the number of people have changed.

4 hrs * (6/4) = 6 hrs

Alternatively, if you want to use the work-rate-time formula, try this:

Rate = 6R (because 6 typists work and say rate of each is R)
Time = 4 hrs

Work = Rate*Time = 4*6R = 24R

Now, what happens when we have 4 typists? Rate = 4R
Work is same as before i.e. 24R
Time = ??

Work = Rate*Time

24R = 4R * Time

Time = 6 hrs

Karishma

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 00:21
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Staphyk wrote:

Look, 6 typists complete it in 4 hrs.
If you have 4 typists, they will take more than 4 hrs (fewer people to do the work).

4 hrs increases by a fraction. What is that fraction? The one by which the number of people have changed.

4 hrs * (6/4) = 6 hrs

Alternatively, if you want to use the work-rate-time formula, try this:

Rate = 6R (because 6 typists work and say rate of each is R)
Time = 4 hrs

Work = Rate*Time = 4*6R = 24R

Now, what happens when we have 4 typists? Rate = 4R
Work is same as before i.e. 24R
Time = ??

Work = Rate*Time

24R = 4R * Time

Time = 6 hrs
well explained,Thank you

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 00:23
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Staphyk wrote:

Staphyk, you will need to be comfortable with 650 level questions too to be in that score range. Note that GMAT will word the questions in an innovative way so even though you may know the concepts, it will take a bit of effort to actually arrive at them. You will need to learn to identify the concept being tested in different scenarios. So it is a good idea to work with 600 - 700 level questions.
very well Karishma ,Thanks for the advice

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 00:50
used a time consuming way in solving ,help with an efficient way

A does a work in 8hours,B does the same work in 16hours and C does it in 12hours. A starts working and is joined by B after 2hours,after 3hours of working together ,A leaves and C joins. How much more time will it take to complete the work if B and C continue to work until it’s over?
600 level?

D

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 00:16
Staphyk wrote:
used a time consuming way in solving ,help with an efficient way

A does a work in 8hours,B does the same work in 16hours and C does it in 12hours. A starts working and is joined by B after 2hours,after 3hours of working together ,A leaves and C joins. How much more time will it take to complete the work if B and C continue to work until it’s over?
600 level?

Hey Staphyk,

Rate of work of A = 1/8
Rate of work of B = 1/16
Rate of work of C = 1/12

Before B and C start working,
A works for 5 hours (2 + 3) and hence does (1/8)*5 = 5/8 of the work.
B works for 3 hrs and hence does (1/16)*3 = 3/16 of the work

So before B and C start working, 5/8 + 3/16 = 13/16 of the work is already over and just 3/16 is left.

Combined rate of B and C = 1/16 + 1/12 = 7/48

Time taken = Work/Rate = (3/16) / (7/48) = 9/7 hrs

I would say 650 level.

Karishma

GMAT Club Bot
Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math &nbs [#permalink] 12 Dec 2018, 00:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 79 posts ] 

Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap