It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 12:38
vb007 wrote:
Background and nationality: US-born Indian

Undergrad Information: BS Chemical Engineering, GPA: 3.03

Graduate Information: MS Biomedical Engineering, JD Law

GMAT: 760 (Q48/V47/IR6/AWA6)

Work experience and leadership: 1.5 years engineering, 4 years patent attorney, 2 years chief innovation officer & general counsel of startup
Community and others: Event committee of alumni association and a non-profit. Founder and president of a student organization, treasurer of a couple of student organization, commissioner of basketball league.

Post MBA goals: Short term, join life sciences/healthcare technology group of consulting firm, leveraging experience in technology, healthcare, and management to help healthcare technology companies bring innovative products to market. Long term, lead strategy at a large healthcare technology company to drive growth through innovation, acquisitions, and partnerships.

Anything else? 2-year research fellowship during undergrad, where I studied drug delivery systems. Masters thesis on minimally invasive treatments for low back pain. Interests including basketball, improv, rock climbing, and technology.

Hi vb007,

Congrats on the fantastic GMAT. A few quick thoughts on your profile:

- You seem to already have two advanced degrees (4+ years of graduate study total) and 7.5 years of work experience. Keep in mind that Haas's full-time MBA program carries an average age of 28 at matriculation and a median of 5 years of work experience. If I'm doing my math correctly, you're 11.5 years removed from undergrad and would be 12.5 years removed at the point of matriculation. Haas has a very open mind about candidates' experience, but if you're thinking about the full-time MBA you should be aware that your level of experience can be relatively uncommon at Haas and other top programs. You might check out Haas's EWMBA and Executive MBA programs as more fitting options.

http://ewmba.haas.berkeley.edu/communit ... ofile.html

https://mbaforexecs.haas.berkeley.edu/a ... ss-profile

- Why after all of these degrees and all of this work experience do you want an MBA? Why are the goals you've articulated only possible by way of the MBA? Why are you the right fit for Haas or any other program? How does the combination of all of your degrees and work experience come together to lead you to these next steps? Explaining all of this with considerable detail is a key part of any application, and given all of your prior degrees and work experience, it's going to be of heightened importance for you. How does an MBA fit into this engineering and law puzzle? You'll want to be proactive about making sure you don't look like you're simply accumulating degrees.

- Your undergraduate GPA is a little low (in a difficult major, but low nevertheless). Hopefully your graduate record is stronger from an academic perspective.

Thanks!
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 19:18
Nationality: Canadian, born in India, 26 (27 at matriculation)
GPA: 95.7% (Class rank 1) - Accounting, University of Waterloo
Master in Accounting (Class rank 1) 94%
CPA: National medalist
GMAT: 710 (49Q 38V)
4 years work experience at matriculation including 1 year as manager
Progressed to manager in 2 years, managed firm wide analytics platform roll-out (working at PwC - Analytics consulting)
Goal: Strategy consulting
Extracurrs: Board member at NFP, App developer - launched first Canadian CPA prep app with consulting company, and lecturer at UWaterloo

MBA Strategy Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 05:12
vb007 wrote:

Work experience and leadership: 1.5 years engineering, 4 years patent attorney, 2 years chief innovation officer & general counsel of startup
Community and others: Event committee of alumni association and a non-profit. Founder and president of a student organization, treasurer of a couple of student organization, commissioner of basketball league.

Post MBA goals: Short term, join life sciences/healthcare technology group of consulting firm, leveraging experience in technology, healthcare, and management to help healthcare technology companies bring innovative products to market. Long term, lead strategy at a large healthcare technology company to drive growth through innovation, acquisitions, and partnerships.

Anything else? 2-year research fellowship during undergrad, where I studied drug delivery systems. Masters thesis on minimally invasive treatments for low back pain. Interests including basketball, improv, rock climbing, and technology.

Hi,
thank you for sharing your profile! I have a few concerns, and it'd be good if you think of them and develop your own strategy before making your decision on application: 1) low GPA (what was the reason?); 2) unclear professional growth (you've got diverse professional background, without distinct career path in terms of your positions and responsibilities' growth and achievements/results that have impacted your organizations); 3) your post-MBA goals do not prove you really need Berkeley MBA. Maybe, a HealthCare Management Masters will be better choice for you.

Victoria, MBA Strategy Application Team Lead
Find a Lot of Answers to Top Schools Admissions on Our Blog

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 11:19
ak99 wrote:
Progressed to manager in 2 years, managed firm wide analytics platform roll-out (working at PwC - Analytics consulting)
Extracurrs: Board member at NFP, App developer - launched first Canadian CPA prep app with consulting company, and lecturer at UWaterloo

Thank you for sharing this. Here are a few thoughts:

- Your undergraduate and graduate record appear to be strong (finishing first in your class in both degree programs). I'd be curious to know how many students were your in accounting "class" for each, but that looks to be a good academic starting point.

- As you likely know from reviewing Haas's class profile, your GMAT is solid but is below the average for Haas. That's something to be aware of going into the application process. You'll need to execute extremely well across the rest of your application (or raise your score).

- Work experience looks solid (plus the promotion). It's not "top-tier experience" so it's not going to significantly impress on its own. You're going to need to really unpack that experience and articulate its value, impact, challenges, lessons, etc.

- Your brief profile reads highly "accounting" and "analytics" oriented (i.e., two degrees, CPA, CPA-related extracurriculars). On the career side, you'll really need to articulate your path away from accounting and analytics, where you want to head, why you need a Haas MBA in particular to get there. On the personal side, you'll really need to make yourself come to life. Who are you beyond this "accounting and analytics" profile?

- Your starting point is solid but not spectacular. Most of this is going to come down to factors beyond these black-and-white credentials. Specific, coherent, well reasoned and researched career goals. Why MBA, why Haas, why now? What knowledge, skills, experience do you already have that are relevant toward your intended career path? What knowledge, skills, experience do you need to gain? How exactly will you do so at Haas?

Best of Luck!
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 07:46
AvantiPrep wrote:
ak99 wrote:

- Your undergraduate and graduate record appear to be strong (finishing first in your class in both degree programs). I'd be curious to know how many students were your in accounting "class" for each, but that looks to be a good academic starting point.

- As you likely know from reviewing Haas's class profile, your GMAT is solid but is below the average for Haas. That's something to be aware of going into the application process. You'll need to execute extremely well across the rest of your application (or raise your score).

- Work experience looks solid (plus the promotion). It's not "top-tier experience" so it's not going to significantly impress on its own. You're going to need to really unpack that experience and articulate its value, impact, challenges, lessons, etc.

- Your brief profile reads highly "accounting" and "analytics" oriented (i.e., two degrees, CPA, CPA-related extracurriculars). On the career side, you'll really need to articulate your path away from accounting and analytics, where you want to head, why you need a Haas MBA in particular to get there. On the personal side, you'll really need to make yourself come to life. Who are you beyond this "accounting and analytics" profile?

- Your starting point is solid but not spectacular. Most of this is going to come down to factors beyond these black-and-white credentials. Specific, coherent, well reasoned and researched career goals. Why MBA, why Haas, why now? What knowledge, skills, experience do you already have that are relevant toward your intended career path? What knowledge, skills, experience do you need to gain? How exactly will you do so at Haas?

Best of Luck!
Greg

Thank you Greg,

Primarily, my experience in leading the field implementation and roll out of the analytics platform was internal consulting and the aspects I enjoyed most were the change management, people, operations aspects, making decisions or influencing them at times and seeing how it all rolls out - taking a pilot of 155 clients to 1,000+ clients - making the Canadian practice the 4th highest user in all partner firms (after UK, USA, Germany). That is why I want to proceed further towards a strategy role - seeing it in action in external consulting will provide a varied experience.

Thanks for your thoughts, my class was 460ish students in undergrad and 200 in Masters, for the CPA you are looking at coming ahead of 3,300 successful exam writers and 4,000+ writers.

I know this isn't the main forum but would you be say the same insight applies for Yale/Tuck/Ross?

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 12:04
ak99 wrote:
AvantiPrep wrote:
ak99 wrote:

Best of Luck!
Greg

Thank you Greg,

Primarily, my experience in leading the field implementation and roll out of the analytics platform was internal consulting and the aspects I enjoyed most were the change management, people, operations aspects, making decisions or influencing them at times and seeing how it all rolls out - taking a pilot of 155 clients to 1,000+ clients - making the Canadian practice the 4th highest user in all partner firms (after UK, USA, Germany). That is why I want to proceed further towards a strategy role - seeing it in action in external consulting will provide a varied experience.

Thanks for your thoughts, my class was 460ish students in undergrad and 200 in Masters, for the CPA you are looking at coming ahead of 3,300 successful exam writers and 4,000+ writers.

I know this isn't the main forum but would you be say the same insight applies for Yale/Tuck/Ross?

Thank you for the additional context. Congratulations again on the great undergraduate, graduate, and CPA rankings.

Generally speaking, yes, the observations I shared above can be applied across the other schools you've listed. Yale's median GMAT (730) is a little higher than Haas's stated average (725). Yale's middle 80% range is 690 to 760, so you can see that you'd be playing from the lower end of that range (again reinforcing how well you'll need to execute across the rest of your application). Your GMAT aligns better with Ross, which has a 716 average and a 670-760 middle 80% range.

All of these programs take culture and fit very seriously (who doesn't!). I encourage you to really do your homework, engage with the programs, visit campus, attend info sessions and online events, speak with current students and alumni, and so forth. Deepen your understanding of each program, show you're interested, and articulate it all very thoughtfully and specifically. Also keep in mind that Haas and Tuck are very small programs, and Yale's on the smaller side of the top 15.

Fit is going to be of heightened importance in those scenarios, and there aren't very many seats in these classes to go around. You might consider rounding out your list of target schools with a program that's more "aligned" with your current profile, or potentially diversifying your current list to swap in a program with which your profile is more aligned. (While you might prefer smaller programs, consider the strategic implications of focusing your application strategy on small, reach-y programs. It can be very difficult.)

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 21:42
vb007 wrote:

Thank you for sharing this a couple of weeks back. I see you haven't received direct feedback, so here are a few observations:

[EDIT: It seems I previously responded to this post (thought the profile sounded familiar!). My apologies for the duplicate reply. I will leave this response here as it aligns and elaborates on what I shared in the first post, and can hopefully provide perspective to others in similar situations. I naturally welcome others to share their insight, that way you have multiple viewpoints!]

Are you interested in the FTMBA or EWMBA/EMBA? If the former -- and if I'm doing my math correctly -- then you're likely going to be pretty far removed from undergrad relative to the typical FTMBA candidate. The average FTMBA at Haas is 28 years old and has 5 years of full-time work experience. Haas doesn't publish these numbers on their class profile page, but 3-8 years of experience and 25 to 31 years old (at matriculation) are generally good benchmarks if you're thinking about the middle 80% of a given class.

With that in mind, you're seemingly going to be applying from the very front end of the curve, from which only a couple of handful of applicants get in in a given year. That's not to say it's impossible, and Haas can be pretty open minded about it, but you'll have a challenge on your hands with respect to proactively and specifically explaining why after all of those other degrees and all of that varied experience (including ostensibly "senior" startup experience) you'd now want (or need) a full-time MBA.

MBA Data Guru has an interesting study on how difficult that can be (based on self reported data): http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/mba/bes ... pplicants/

Haas's EWMBA (#1 ranked) trends a little older than its FTMBA program, and (again if I'm doing my math correctly), you're potentially migrating closer to the EMBA profile. On other fronts, your GMAT is fantastic (congrats!) and undergrad GPA is low for Haas (but perhaps you have strong grades in your other graduate programs). But again, if you have 4-5 years of graduate school and 7.5 years of work experience (8.5 at enrollment), you'd likely align more with the EWMBA or even EMBA opportunities. And in any scenario, you will need to be super proactive, specific, and clear about your goals and why need an MBA to achieve next steps (devil's advocate: can't you pursue those same goals with the many degrees you already have)?

Thanks!
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 16:09
Thanks in advance for reviewing this.

Target industries: Sustainability & blockchain technology

GMAT---740
IR- 7
Quant- 47
Verbal-44
AWA- 6

GPA:
4.0 Undergrad GPA ( UK equivalent)
Undergrad majors: Mechanical Engineering

Career:
4.5 years work experience in engineering consultancy, working specifically in energy generation. 3 Promotions, 1 Year spent abroad working in France
(JP Morgan internship)

Extracurriculars:
University Rugby & Squash 1st team.
Engineering Mentorship program
Construction of small scale wind farms in Peru (volunteering)

Reason for MBA (feedback on this point is what I would really value):
Primarily, I want to move into a management role in the renewable energy sector, having had experience of management in project based work at engineering firm, or move into a governmental role influencing clean energy policies. However, over the last year, I have ALSO become increasingly interested, and to some extent involved, in blockchain technology and smart contracts, which I see as having huge potential in the future and how business is done. I realise these are two very different areas (though I am already aware of how the two can combine) and so I am posting this in the hope of some specific feedback on this point. Should I stick to just one focus on my application (i.e. either sustainability or blockchain technology)? Is it seen as a weakness that I am open to the possibility of both (lack of clear direction?) I have an understanding of blockchain and a keen interest in it, though no real work experience, therefore should I leave mentioning it out of my application? My immediate career goals for blockchain would probably be to join a blockchain start up company, though I can see how admissions could find this claim dubious, given my experience. The reason I considered including it in the application would be in order to spice it up a little bit and make me seem less one-dimensional.

Any help on this point (and others) would be greatly appreciated

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 01:29
Hello all, I am Planning to get into Evening-Weekend MBA program. Please evaluate my profile

Background and nationality: Asian, male, 32 y.o.

Graduate Information: The University of Texas at San Antonio 3.0 GPA, MS in Computer Engineering (2007 graduated)

GRE: 299 ( 141 V, 158 Quant, AWA - 3)

Work experience and leadership: >9 years of experience. Top pharma company. Information Technology solutions architect. Developed solutions that manage >$ xxx millions worth of transactions, petabytes of research data. Define integration strategy to IT Org.
Community and others - Volunteer at Second Harvest food bank. Mentor to a 4th-grade student based out of a STEM-related non-profit program. Toast Masters, Crossfit enthusiast.
Post-MBA goals - short-term general management within my company and move into strategy); long-term (build a platform that enables data analytics for genomic data that fuels clinical research

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 18:06
sams1289 wrote:
Thanks in advance for reviewing this.

Target industries: Sustainability & blockchain technology

GMAT---740
IR- 7
Quant- 47
Verbal-44
AWA- 6

GPA:
4.0 Undergrad GPA ( UK equivalent)
Undergrad majors: Mechanical Engineering

Career:
4.5 years work experience in engineering consultancy, working specifically in energy generation. 3 Promotions, 1 Year spent abroad working in France
(JP Morgan internship)

Extracurriculars:
University Rugby & Squash 1st team.
Engineering Mentorship program
Construction of small scale wind farms in Peru (volunteering)

Reason for MBA (feedback on this point is what I would really value):
Primarily, I want to move into a management role in the renewable energy sector, having had experience of management in project based work at engineering firm, or move into a governmental role influencing clean energy policies. However, over the last year, I have ALSO become increasingly interested, and to some extent involved, in blockchain technology and smart contracts, which I see as having huge potential in the future and how business is done. I realise these are two very different areas (though I am already aware of how the two can combine) and so I am posting this in the hope of some specific feedback on this point. Should I stick to just one focus on my application (i.e. either sustainability or blockchain technology)? Is it seen as a weakness that I am open to the possibility of both (lack of clear direction?) I have an understanding of blockchain and a keen interest in it, though no real work experience, therefore should I leave mentioning it out of my application? My immediate career goals for blockchain would probably be to join a blockchain start up company, though I can see how admissions could find this claim dubious, given my experience. The reason I considered including it in the application would be in order to spice it up a little bit and make me seem less one-dimensional.

Any help on this point (and others) would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for sharing this, and congratulations on the great GMAT score. Let me start by saying I think you're right in considering Berkeley-Haas given its location and proximity to the front lines of what's going on in these and related fields. Along with visiting companies and interning and the like, many Haas students take advantage of Berkeley's own entrepreneurial ecosystem in and around these fields, teaming up with students from Berkeley's computer and engineering programs in various Haas startup classes or on their own entrepreneurial ventures. A number of others structure their schedules so that they can intern at startups during the semester (or continue to work during their second year at a startup with which they interned during the summer).

As with every application for every program, your understanding of specific schools and their offerings -- courses, clubs, extracurriculars, culture, community, career opportunities -- needs to be super specific, so I encourage you to speak with current students/alumni to get to know what these opportunities are. It will greatly benefit your applications (and understanding of Haas).

The primary feedback I have regarding your career goals is to make sure they "speak MBA" and don't speak "computer science or engineering or super duper technical" You're coming from engineering to begin with, and the current articulation of your goals arguably sounds even more technical. Interest in Fintech and MBA resources catering to that student interest are proliferating at MBA programs (as targeted as blockchain), so that's an okay directional goal to articulate. Just make sure you're targeting roles and companies that would combine your prior knowledge, skills, and experience (including your engineering background and technical foundation) with the knowledge, skills, and experience you'd gain via the Haas MBA program.

Figure out what exactly those roles and companies are, research them, considering chatting with people in those roles, and convey that understanding in your application. Make sure you identify MBA-type roles or roles that would take advantage of your combined engineer-MBA experience. If you determine post-MBA viability, then begin to think about what experience you already have that might be relevant, what experience you're missing, and how you might fill in "what's missing" during your time at Haas. That "what's missing" piece might include some more technical elements (e.g., Haas offers an "Intro to Coding for MBAs" class so that students can gain baseline familiarity), but the "what's missing" piece should have an MBA backbone to it.

I think you'd be in good position to articulate a Ffintech goal with specific interest in blockchain-related companies (and the related commercialization of blockchain). (I would need you to elaborate a little more on what kind of sustainability you're talking about as the alternative above.) Know the jobs and companies you'd be targeting. And don't get lost too deep in the technical.

Happy to chat to go deeper into this if helpful!

Kind Regards,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 18:24
jmudmba wrote:
Hello all, I am Planning to get into Evening-Weekend MBA program. Please evaluate my profile

Background and nationality: Asian, male, 32 y.o.

Graduate Information: The University of Texas at San Antonio 3.0 GPA, MS in Computer Engineering (2007 graduated)

GRE: 299 ( 141 V, 158 Quant, AWA - 3)

Work experience and leadership: >9 years of experience. Top pharma company. Information Technology solutions architect. Developed solutions that manage >$ xxx millions worth of transactions, petabytes of research data. Define integration strategy to IT Org.
Community and others - Volunteer at Second Harvest food bank. Mentor to a 4th-grade student based out of a STEM-related non-profit program. Toast Masters, Crossfit enthusiast.
Post-MBA goals - short-term general management within my company and move into strategy); long-term (build a platform that enables data analytics for genomic data that fuels clinical research

Thank you for your post. The main thing that jumps out here is your GRE score. That score equates to ~500 GMAT, which is unfortunately well outside the common range for the Haas EWMBA program (the median is 700 and the middle 80% is 650-740). Your Quant sub-score is strong but it appears your Verbal section (and AWA) require improvement. I would strongly recommend focusing heavily on the GRE (or GMAT) in an effort to meaningfully boost your score. Then consider what part-time MBA programs near you align with those scores. Best of luck to you!

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 21:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi, Can you help me in evaluating my profile for Haas Full Time and Part time program?

Background / nationality :
Indian female 28

Undergrad Information :
IIT BTech / MTech ; top 500 AIR
IIT Btech : 6.9/10
IIT MTech : 8.8/10 ( +scholarships)
---
GMAT: 710 ( 34v 50q)
--
Work experience and leadership :
6 years
Currently cofounded a start-up in edutainment
a.Early member of a tech start-up: In Europe+ US - 3 promotions ;
b.Management Consulting - Two promotions
c.tech start-up in the past ( funded + won many awards )
--
Community and others :
Corporate social responsibility related activities
Active in student clubs for all years ( several activities to mention)
fundraising for many causes
--
Post MBA goals :
Entrepreneurship. The idea has already been funded and the team has been created.
--
Anything else?
Recos are good.

Re: Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2017, 21:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 52 posts ] 

Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap