Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:45 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 616 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Haas Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
robert97 wrote:
Hi All!

Can you please review my profile?

Thank you very much!

Background and nationality: Hungarian, male, 27 years old by the time I apply.

Undergrad Information: Law degree from a Hungarian university, GPA: 4,61/5 with a summa cum laude distinction, top 15% of the class. I have received national excellence scholarships (these scholarships are given to students who have particularly high GPAs and performed certain extracurricular activities) for three semesters and national merit scholarships for all other semesters from the Hungarian Ministry of Justice and have received a Dean’s Award as well.

GMAT: aiming for 760-770

Work experience and leadership: by the time I apply I’ll have more than three years of experience working as a transactional lawyer on real estate and m&a deals at leading international law firms in Budapest, including 200-400 million EUR cross-border deals, not much leadership experience as I’m still considered a quite junior associate in the legal environment, however I have regularly coordinated different sub-tasks of a larger matter, where I had to lead and coordinate the work of my colleagues who are even more junior than me.

Community and others: now this is definetely one of my weakest points, I do not have much community experience apart from being part of a college for advanced studies during my years at university, I also have won and placed well on a couple of national competitions and participated in an international competition as well and had several internships during uni as extracurricular activities.

Post MBA goals:
Short term: switch my carrier to investment banking, as I’m definetly more interested in the finance/business side of deals than the legal side
Long term: build on my experience gained as a transactional lawyer and an investment banker and establish an m&a/transactional advisory firm in Hungary

International experience: I have studied a semester abroad as an Erasmus student, but no significant international work experience

Hi robert97 , very strong chances of getting an invite from Haas.

Hope this can help you on the aspect you are most concerned about :

If you are someone who has come to realize the dearth of Extra Curricular activities in your profile, take ideas from the following successful examples to weave a narrative that still shows you created broader perspectives and developed a well-rounded personality.

1. Begin by talking about your formative years
Beginning your narrative with some context of family situation and social environment helps the admissions committee to create a character sketch of you as a child or young adult and evaluate your involvement in school activities objectively. For example, a successful applicant once talked about making extra effort to adapt to her continuously changing schools due to her family’s relocations (shows adaptability). She went on to say that she pushed herself to participate in debates, elocutions and public speaking to overcome her intrinsic shyness and lack of self-confidence (shows persistence).

2. Small actions make big impact
Another successful applicant talked about helping her family during financial crisis by taking up odd gigs such as organizing coaching/tuition classes for neighborhood kids, starting home-made snacks business she marketed through social media connections and starting a women’s dress boutique at home where she worked with artisans on profit sharing basis. Through her undertakings in adolescence, her entrepreneurial bent of mind is evident even before she started college.

3. Show that you took a stand on social issues in your society/community
A successful applicant talked about participating in theatre and dramatics during her college days. She set the context well saying she comes from a conservative and regressive rural society where vices such as female infanticide, domestic violence and AIDs are prevalent but frowned upon when discussed openly. She decided to create awareness on such issues by writing and directing street plays which her team performed in villages to echo a strong message.

4. Are you an inclusive team leader at work?
If your time is all consumed at work and you do not have any active interests outside of office, talk about how you make your office a better place for others. Another successful applicant talked about creating an apprenticeship program for women employees to make the onboarding process more women-friendly in a highly male dominated field sales team (his LOR also substantiated this). Another successful applicant talked about organizing book club events in her US office where books from economically emerging countries were read and discussed to develop deeper perspectives and better inclusion at an extremely diverse workplace.

Profoundly thinking about your actions in hindsight is a great way to uncover aspects of your personality that created a strong impact on people around you. ECs need not necessarily be be about continuous community involvement or hobbies, rather, bringing a unique frame of reference through your occasional but strong stance on issues can also help you make a strong impression.

If you wish to seek professional guidance on your application strategy do reach out.

Regards
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8835 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: Haas Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Some of the admitted profiles I see from the Haas chat

* Admitted on: 2022/03/22
GRE: 338, Q168, V170
GPA: 3.94
Heard back via: Phone
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Background and nationality : Indian Male IT (Innovation with ML/AI)
Undergrad Information :Tier 1 Top 10 Indian college, GPA - 3
GMAT: 750 (Q50,V41) AWA6 IR7
Work experience and leadership : Innovation department of a Big IT firm. 3 years, couple of promotions, mentored over 100 students with 40+ innovative projects. Delivered products for healthcare and retail clients. Lead teams of 10+ people. Worked directly with CTOs and Directors.
Community and others : Involved with a few NGOs which work towards eradication of Poverty and illiteracy. Cycling club. Cricket and volleyball teams in college.
Post MBA goals : Tech Management

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Schools: ISB'22 (S)
GRE 1: Q168 V169
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello everyone, I have been working on my profile for a long time, and getting into an MBA program at one of the top most reputed universities has been my ambition for a long time. Looking to receive a constructive & honest evaluation of my profile.

Background, nationality and undergrad information:
- 28, Male, Indian
- Bachelors in Commerce - Computers from a recognised university (Osmania University) in the country - Scored 78%

GRE: 337

Work experience and leadership: Total of 7+ years
1 year - Product role at a Consumer-tech Startup (latest stint)
1.5 years - Product Lead at an NGO : built e-learning modules that is spanned across 98 countries
2.5 years - Founder of a Social Impact Consulting Firm
1.5 years - Industrial/Management Trainee - Internal Audit at an Indian conglomerate
1 year - Product role at an e-commerce startup

Certifications -
1. Product Management from ISB
2. Design Thinking from Darden School of Business
3. Essentials of Corporate Financial Analysis & Decision Making Capstone from University of Melbourne

Community and Others:
- Kalinga Fellowship : Led the Digital Awareness Team and worked on conceptualizing the first truly multi-sector information sharing platform along with the strategic partners: IBM & Traffik Analysis Hub.
- Trained 100+ Telangana State Police officials on the strengthening of the 33 Anti-Human Trafficking Units (AHTUs) in the State in collaboration with the Women Safety Wing and Retired officials of Telangana Police & Government
- Led on-field research team on landscape analysis on online sexual exploitation - A research project funded The Children's Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF)

Post MBA goals:
Product Management at fast-paced startups/ companies like Google, Meta, Amazon.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
- 28, Male, Indian
- Bachelors in Technology - Instrumentation and control engineering

GMAT: 710

Work experience and leadership: Total of 8+ years
5 years - Built a hardware startup out of college and exited in 2020, Industry: 3D Printing
1 year - Consulted a leading consumer electronics company in product development project: Industry: Consumer electronics
6 months - Raised community funding for manufacturing and donating ppe equipment to hospitals and health care professionals during the pandemic
2 years - Built a life sciences startup that is developing reagents for cell and gene therapy industry, Industry: Life sciences

I have been setting up and building businesses since I was in college. Most of my work went into Market research, product development, product launch, B2B marketing and sales and lastly finance.

Post MBA goals:
Get into Venture capital/ private equity/consulting and use my first hand startup experience in creating larger impact on the society
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey DRACONIANVALYREA,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

To begin with, a score of 710 seems decent. However, the average GMAT score for HAAS usually ranges around 730. I would suggest increasing the score by 20 points else, you will need to work hard on your apps.

The main highlight of your profile will be your extensive work experience. I can see a list of vivid roles you have worked in your 8+ years of experience. Try highlighting your major learnings from these. Also emphasize the impact created and revenue generated from your end. Any international exposure from your end should also be mentioned to the AdComs.

Haas looks for the following qualities in an applicant.

1. Academic achievement
2. Personal attributes and life experience suggesting leadership, maturity, ethical character, teamwork and goal orientation.
3. International exposure

You haven't mentioned your ECs, they play an important role in your application and help add diversity to your profile.
Your Post MBA goals make sense. Try dividing your goals into short and long term and align them with the values of HAAS. You should also be able to answer the AdComs on ‘Why Haas?’ You may also want to read our article on Venture Capital It will give you some insights!

All in all you stand a good chance of acceptance at Haas. Hence, If you’d like, we are happy to get on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and strengthen your chances further. Feel free to schedule a call with us at your convenience.

Join us for the Live Q&A session on Jan 24 intake..

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

DRACONIANVALYREA wrote:
- 28, Male, Indian

5 years - Built a hardware startup out of college and exited in 2020, Industry: 3D Printing
1 year - Consulted a leading consumer electronics company in product development project: Industry: Consumer electronics
6 months - Raised community funding for manufacturing and donating ppe equipment to hospitals and health care professionals during the pandemic
2 years - Built a life sciences startup that is developing reagents for cell and gene therapy industry, Industry: Life sciences

I have been setting up and building businesses since I was in college. Most of my work went into Market research, product development, product launch, B2B marketing and sales and lastly finance.

Post MBA goals:
Get into Venture capital/ private equity/consulting and use my first hand startup experience in creating larger impact on the society
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 616 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
DRACONIANVALYREA wrote:
- 28, Male, Indian

Post MBA goals:

DRACONIANVALYREA hope this finds you well

Interesting profile overall! However, you would soon be edging on the higher side of the target age range for the US B Schools. You will have to account for this factor in how you build your goals strategy for a particular school. VC and PE goals would need more deliberation and you will have to do a lot of research on the school and the markets in order to convince the adcom.

My 2 cents

1. B Schools are now more receptive to unconventional profiles. However, as a serial entrepreneur you must focus on demonstrating A) the Scale (think growth%) of your business and impact B) a Solid plan for the future and how a particular school would help you build the network and your personal brand, bringing your long-term interests closer.

2. For your GMAT, aim for a 730+ to present a high academic orientation given the competitive demographic.

Overall, I would suggest you select 2-3 schools from US top 15 but hedge risk with 2-3 others from Top 25 where you will have better chance at scholarships and converts. You should certainly give strong consideration to Tuck and Duke given your current life sciences focus.

Feel free to reach out should you need professional guidance.

Best wishes
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
DRACONIANVALYREA wrote:
- 28, Male, Indian

Post MBA goals:

Hey DRACONIAVALYREA,

Your background in entrepreneurship and success in building and exiting startups, coupled with your experience in market research, product development, and B2B marketing and sales, positions you well for a career in venture capital, private equity, or consulting.

A GMAT score of 730 or higher would demonstrate your academic aptitude and competitiveness among peers in the MBA admissions process. Keep in mind that other factors such as work experience, academic background, extracurricular activities, essays, statements of purpose, and letters of recommendation also play a significant role in the admissions process.

To increase your chances of success, apply to a mix of top-ranked schools, including 2-3 from the top 15 in the US, as well as 2-3 from the top 25. Consider Tuck and Duke as options given your focus on the life sciences industry.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Would love some evaluation for my future MBA applications! Thanks in advance!

Background and nationality:
White german male

Undergrad information:
MSc and BSc in physics at the same major engineering-focussed german university (RWTH/ TUM/ KIT)
- MSc in Physics (1.5 german / 3.5 US GPA)
- BSc in Physics (1.8 german / 3.2 US GPA)
- Scholar of Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes during the whole studies

GMAT:
not yet done

Work experience and leadership:
Will join a tier 2 strategy consulting firm (Strategy&/ ATKearny/ Oliver Wyman) as an associate this summer.
Previously:
- interned at a Fortune Global 500 (top ten) inhouse consulting firm
- interned at a university in the middle east as a sort of teaching assistant for physics and some engineering (more riding camels than real work)
- interned at a german boutique consulting firm (a few hundred employees)
- student assistant at a Big 4 and some more less relevant

Community and others:
- Secretary and board member at a service club (think of youth organizations from Rotary/ Lions)
- Working group member at a political think tank on transatlantic relations
- Selection committee member at Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- Deputy Chairman of the german conservative party youth organization in my high school town
- Chairman at my student fraternity (mostly fencing stuff and drinking beers)

Post MBA goals:
Stay two more years at my firm (or another firm buys me out of my sponsorship). Afterwards very interested in transition for some years into PE/VC or IBD, also strategy consulting at an MBB. A highly responsible role in corporate strategy/development is the goal in the long term.

Anything else?
Plan to do the GMAT and try to apply as soon as possible to start the MBA after two (or three) years at my firm (to hopefully benefit from the firm's sponsorship).

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
CMB97:

Great background and plan of action!

The GMAT is going to be extremely important for you especially since your GPA is a tad bit on the lower side for the top, top programs. If you can do really well on the exam, that'll position you nicely.

Keep up with your community/extracurricular activities where possible. That's very important even after graduating from school to show you are involved as a leader.

Definitely reach back out in a year to let us know how things are progressing. If of interest, my team offers a "crash course" called the Advanced Planning Program if you want a few sessions on how to position yourself for your future MBA application. Take a look and reach out if you are it piques your fascination.

https://admissionado.com/mba/mba-advanc ... g-program/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: Haas '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
I’m from India.
Work experience - 13 years
GMAT - 750
Goals - General Management or Consulting
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Admitted on: 2023/03/21
GMAT: 750
WE: 84 months
Heard back via: Phone

Originally posted by aa92 on 22 Mar 2023, 03:00.
Last edited by aa92 on 23 Mar 2023, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41 (Online)
GMAT 2: 780 Q49 V51 (Online)
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Kudos
Consortium applicant, got the call at 6:50 eastern (NYC here). Adcom said scholarship info will come out Thursday.

Nyc based, 5 years work experience in founding and running a public health advocacy nonprofit. GMAT 780. Post MBA goals are digital health, specifically LGBTQ health.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Haas '25 (A)
GRE 1: Q165 V164
Send PM
GRE 328, 5 years work ex in finance(IB for the most part), Healthcare IB Post-MBA, Lagos, Nigeria
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Berkeley undergrad, GRE 326, GPA 3.7. Private equity
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GRE 1: Q165 V165
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Kudos
GRE 332 , Indian citizen living in toronto canada ,8 gears of work ex in automotive sector multiple domains. Masters degree in mech engg. Future industry -consulting/mobility startup.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Accepted at Haas.

GRE 332. Indian passport. Based out of the Bay Area.
Received a call on 3/22 at 10:50 AM PST.

WE: 4yrs
Future industry: Consulting
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts
Booth and Haas Moderator
44 posts
Haas & Fuqua Moderator
61 posts