Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 02:17 It is currently 14 May 2024, 02:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi JAE18,

this is a very interesting question.

Besides being an admissions consultant, I'm also an HR Professional, my last position being Head of HR for one of Samsung Electronics' biggest subsidiaries. Therefore I will answer this question from both perspectives.

An employment gap must always be addressed. If I was interviewing someone for a position at my firm with an employment gap (even if it's only 2 months), the first thing that could come to my mind is: "was this person laid off at this company?. If so, why?", and I will definitely ask the candidate to explain what happened.

Being laid off is something very common and nothing to be ashamed of (it happens to everyone), but from an MBA admissions perspective it could show that you have not been in control of all decisions in your life. It is very different going from company A to company B because that is what you decided to do in order to achieve your career goals, than going from company A to company B because you were laid off at A and found nothing else but B. This is an extreme example, by the way, just to make a point.

Therefore, I would advise you to justify your employment gaps, and when possible, explain them in a way that shows it was something you wanted and part of your plan.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Alex - yes this helped a lot.

Is it necessary to mention what i did during the 2 months (volunteering, attending professional development workshops Etc) or is just explaining the gap sufficient?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JAE18,

I'm glad it helped.

Yeah, of course. Explain what you did if you feel it will strengthen your candidacy. Volunteering work, professional workshops,.. these are good examples of development and willingness to help your community.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Got it, thank you!

Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
JAE18 wrote:
I've heard/read different things with respect to the length of the gap - for example if it's 3+ months or 6+ months then an explanation is needed but not if less. Does anyone have any guidance on this with respect to bschool applications?

On one of my application forms so far, I was asked to explain any gaps in employment (it didn't specify the length) and it didn't appear to be a required question. I have two 2 month gaps - one a year and half ago and the other 3 years ago - should I still answer this or is 2 months not really considered a major gap worth an explanation?

And on other applications where it's not directly asked in the form itself, it's often mentioned as a suggested topic for the optional essay. Must I address it even though it's only 2 months?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

If your employment gaps comes between extremely high peer rankings, promotions etc, it is not necessary to justify. Many people take a few months of backpacking vacations these days between demanding jobs.

On the other hand, if your employment gap comes between jobs where you were not doing so well, it is not advised to justify, for the same reasons that Alex detailed below.

Yet, if you chose to justify a month/two of gap, and highlighted a volunteering assignment done between two jobs, it will almost certainly look like a bad cover-up. Passion for volunteering (or achievements thereof) can hardly be a month/two long.

My suggestion: Unless it jumps out, don't talk about your gaps. If you have to, take a different route.
Feel free to connect for a personalized evaluation and details.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
JAE18 wrote:
I've heard/read different things with respect to the length of the gap - for example if it's 3+ months or 6+ months then an explanation is needed but not if less. Does anyone have any guidance on this with respect to bschool applications?

On one of my application forms so far, I was asked to explain any gaps in employment (it didn't specify the length) and it didn't appear to be a required question. I have two 2 month gaps - one a year and half ago and the other 3 years ago - should I still answer this or is 2 months not really considered a major gap worth an explanation?

And on other applications where it's not directly asked in the form itself, it's often mentioned as a suggested topic for the optional essay. Must I address it even though it's only 2 months?

Thanks!

If your employment gaps comes between extremely high peer rankings, promotions etc, it is not necessary to justify. Many people take a few months of backpacking vacations these days between demanding jobs.

On the other hand, if your employment gap comes between jobs where you were not doing so well, it is not advised to justify, for the same reasons that Alex detailed below.

Yet, if you chose to justify a month/two of gap, and highlighted a volunteering assignment done between two jobs, it will almost certainly look like a bad cover-up. Passion for volunteering (or achievements thereof) can hardly be a month/two long.

My suggestion: Unless it jumps out, don't talk about your gaps. If you have to, take a different route.

Hello - thanks for the feedback.

As it was a specific question (although I don't believe a required one) on one of the application forms I thought I may have to answer it or it would look suspicious if I don't?

Can you clarify what you mean by taking a different route? What might that be exactly?

Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
JAE18 wrote:
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
JAE18 wrote:

Thanks!

Hello - thanks for the feedback.

As it was a specific question (although I don't believe a required one) on one of the application forms I thought I may have to answer it or it would look suspicious if I don't?

Can you clarify what you mean by taking a different route? What might that be exactly?

There are many different ways. Please pm me your resume and the gaps that you are talking about. Happy to discuss for your specific situation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sure will do, thanks!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hey!

I will potentially be in a situation where I need to leave my job to move to another country. If the gap between leaving my job and sending my applications is 2 months, will that negatively impact my applications? And what if I remain employed till I send the applications out and move post that, does being unemployed during interviews hurt my chances? My target schools are mostly in the top 15
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
talz94 wrote:
Hey!

I will potentially be in a situation where I need to leave my job to move to another country. If the gap between leaving my job and sending my applications is 2 months, will that negatively impact my applications? And what if I remain employed till I send the applications out and move post that, does being unemployed during interviews hurt my chances? My target schools are mostly in the top 15

Hi talz94,

Ideally, you must remain in your job until the interview is over for it could have a negative impact on your application. In any case, in most situations, the period between submitting your applications and receiving an interview call is not a very long one and we would recommend that you do not quit at that juncture :-) Of course, if you do choose to do so, you will need to come up with a compelling reason for the same.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]
Hi,

I'm about to discuss my start date with a new employer in the middle of my notice period with the previous employer. I'm just wondering, if I take 1,5 month off from 14 October until 28 November before starting my new job (hence there will be 1,5 month employment gap), will this make me less favorable compared to an MBA applicant with no employment gap at all? I'm aiming for top 20 b-schools

Second question, on almost all my application forms so far, I was asked to explain any gaps in employment (it didn't specify the length) and it didn't appear to be a required question. However, they do ask for the exact dates (not month only) of my end date and start date of employment. Do you think I should explain the employment gap of 1,5 month in those application forms?

Thank you very much, appreciate anyone's help!

Originally posted by yasminegunawan on 13 Oct 2022, 07:37.
Last edited by yasminegunawan on 14 Oct 2022, 22:35, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]