GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When is an employment gap worth explaining?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 65
When is an employment gap worth explaining?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 20:02
I've heard/read different things with respect to the length of the gap - for example if it's 3+ months or 6+ months then an explanation is needed but not if less. Does anyone have any guidance on this with respect to bschool applications?

On one of my application forms so far, I was asked to explain any gaps in employment (it didn't specify the length) and it didn't appear to be a required question. I have two 2 month gaps - one a year and half ago and the other 3 years ago - should I still answer this or is 2 months not really considered a major gap worth an explanation?

And on other applications where it's not directly asked in the form itself, it's often mentioned as a suggested topic for the optional essay. Must I address it even though it's only 2 months?

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant | www.ruizlee.es
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head
Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Posts: 77
INSEAD: MBA
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 20:33
Hi JAE18,

this is a very interesting question.

Besides being an admissions consultant, I'm also an HR Professional, my last position being Head of HR for one of Samsung Electronics' biggest subsidiaries. Therefore I will answer this question from both perspectives.

An employment gap must always be addressed. If I was interviewing someone for a position at my firm with an employment gap (even if it's only 2 months), the first thing that could come to my mind is: "was this person laid off at this company?. If so, why?", and I will definitely ask the candidate to explain what happened.

Being laid off is something very common and nothing to be ashamed of (it happens to everyone), but from an MBA admissions perspective it could show that you have not been in control of all decisions in your life. It is very different going from company A to company B because that is what you decided to do in order to achieve your career goals, than going from company A to company B because you were laid off at A and found nothing else but B. This is an extreme example, by the way, just to make a point.

Therefore, I would advise you to justify your employment gaps, and when possible, explain them in a way that shows it was something you wanted and part of your plan.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
_________________

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D
HR Executive Director
Independent Consultant
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
INSEAD Admissions Interviewer & Ambassador

+52 1 55 2702 0059
alex@ruizlee.es | alex.lee@insead.edu
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee
http://www.ruizlee.es

Please, email me your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 65
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 20:47
Hi Alex - yes this helped a lot.

Is it necessary to mention what i did during the 2 months (volunteering, attending professional development workshops Etc) or is just explaining the gap sufficient?

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant | www.ruizlee.es
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head
Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Posts: 77
INSEAD: MBA
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 20:56
Hi JAE18,

I'm glad it helped.

Yeah, of course. Explain what you did if you feel it will strengthen your candidacy. Volunteering work, professional workshops,.. these are good examples of development and willingness to help your community.
_________________

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D
HR Executive Director
Independent Consultant
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
INSEAD Admissions Interviewer & Ambassador

+52 1 55 2702 0059
alex@ruizlee.es | alex.lee@insead.edu
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee
http://www.ruizlee.es

Please, email me your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 65
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 21:23
Got it, thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Admission Consultant
User avatar
S
Status: Application Consultant
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 261
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 22:13
JAE18 wrote:
I've heard/read different things with respect to the length of the gap - for example if it's 3+ months or 6+ months then an explanation is needed but not if less. Does anyone have any guidance on this with respect to bschool applications?

On one of my application forms so far, I was asked to explain any gaps in employment (it didn't specify the length) and it didn't appear to be a required question. I have two 2 month gaps - one a year and half ago and the other 3 years ago - should I still answer this or is 2 months not really considered a major gap worth an explanation?

And on other applications where it's not directly asked in the form itself, it's often mentioned as a suggested topic for the optional essay. Must I address it even though it's only 2 months?

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


If your employment gaps comes between extremely high peer rankings, promotions etc, it is not necessary to justify. Many people take a few months of backpacking vacations these days between demanding jobs.

On the other hand, if your employment gap comes between jobs where you were not doing so well, it is not advised to justify, for the same reasons that Alex detailed below.

Yet, if you chose to justify a month/two of gap, and highlighted a volunteering assignment done between two jobs, it will almost certainly look like a bad cover-up. Passion for volunteering (or achievements thereof) can hardly be a month/two long.

My suggestion: Unless it jumps out, don't talk about your gaps. If you have to, take a different route.
Feel free to connect for a personalized evaluation and details.
_________________

APPLYING for 2019 intake? Save 20%. Connect for 2018 prices

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 65
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 07:19
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
JAE18 wrote:
I've heard/read different things with respect to the length of the gap - for example if it's 3+ months or 6+ months then an explanation is needed but not if less. Does anyone have any guidance on this with respect to bschool applications?

On one of my application forms so far, I was asked to explain any gaps in employment (it didn't specify the length) and it didn't appear to be a required question. I have two 2 month gaps - one a year and half ago and the other 3 years ago - should I still answer this or is 2 months not really considered a major gap worth an explanation?

And on other applications where it's not directly asked in the form itself, it's often mentioned as a suggested topic for the optional essay. Must I address it even though it's only 2 months?

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


If your employment gaps comes between extremely high peer rankings, promotions etc, it is not necessary to justify. Many people take a few months of backpacking vacations these days between demanding jobs.

On the other hand, if your employment gap comes between jobs where you were not doing so well, it is not advised to justify, for the same reasons that Alex detailed below.

Yet, if you chose to justify a month/two of gap, and highlighted a volunteering assignment done between two jobs, it will almost certainly look like a bad cover-up. Passion for volunteering (or achievements thereof) can hardly be a month/two long.

My suggestion: Unless it jumps out, don't talk about your gaps. If you have to, take a different route.
Feel free to connect for a personalized evaluation and details.


Hello - thanks for the feedback.

As it was a specific question (although I don't believe a required one) on one of the application forms I thought I may have to answer it or it would look suspicious if I don't?

Can you clarify what you mean by taking a different route? What might that be exactly?




Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Admission Consultant
User avatar
S
Status: Application Consultant
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 261
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 09:38
JAE18 wrote:
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
JAE18 wrote:
I've heard/read different things with respect to the length of the gap - for example if it's 3+ months or 6+ months then an explanation is needed but not if less. Does anyone have any guidance on this with respect to bschool applications?

On one of my application forms so far, I was asked to explain any gaps in employment (it didn't specify the length) and it didn't appear to be a required question. I have two 2 month gaps - one a year and half ago and the other 3 years ago - should I still answer this or is 2 months not really considered a major gap worth an explanation?

And on other applications where it's not directly asked in the form itself, it's often mentioned as a suggested topic for the optional essay. Must I address it even though it's only 2 months?

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


If your employment gaps comes between extremely high peer rankings, promotions etc, it is not necessary to justify. Many people take a few months of backpacking vacations these days between demanding jobs.

On the other hand, if your employment gap comes between jobs where you were not doing so well, it is not advised to justify, for the same reasons that Alex detailed below.

Yet, if you chose to justify a month/two of gap, and highlighted a volunteering assignment done between two jobs, it will almost certainly look like a bad cover-up. Passion for volunteering (or achievements thereof) can hardly be a month/two long.

My suggestion: Unless it jumps out, don't talk about your gaps. If you have to, take a different route.
Feel free to connect for a personalized evaluation and details.


Hello - thanks for the feedback.

As it was a specific question (although I don't believe a required one) on one of the application forms I thought I may have to answer it or it would look suspicious if I don't?

Can you clarify what you mean by taking a different route? What might that be exactly?




Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


There are many different ways. Please pm me your resume and the gaps that you are talking about. Happy to discuss for your specific situation.
_________________

APPLYING for 2019 intake? Save 20%. Connect for 2018 prices

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 65
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 10:06
Sure will do, thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Re: When is an employment gap worth explaining?   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 10:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When is an employment gap worth explaining?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.