Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 02:36 It is currently 11 May 2024, 02:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [60]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
GMAT 2: 530 Q49 V13
GMAT 3: 590 Q49 V21
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65223 [33]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1287 [7]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65223 [5]
Send PM
Re: Which of the following can be inferred from the data above? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
SamuelWitwicky wrote:
I feel statement II can be inferred to be wrong from the graph.

And this is exactly how IR always asks the questions. Can the following be inferred? Yes or No.

There is a difference:

Can you infer that: The Klein family's annual income increased by a greater amount from 1985 to 1990 than from 1990 to 1995.
If this is not true, you say that you cannot infer this from the graph. This is a statement and to be inferred, it needs to be true only.

On the other hand: Did the Klein family's annual income increase by a greater amount from 1985 to 1990 than from 1990 to 1995?
When it is a question, you can answer with a Yes or No. Both answers are acceptable. The only answer not acceptable is may be. (your basic DS principle)

This question is asking about a statement and whether you can infer that. If the statement is correct, only then you can infer it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE:Programming (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
11 data points : Income in 1000
85 -> 25
86 -> 26
87 -> 26
88 -> 35
89 -> 40
90 -> 44
91 -> 44
92 -> 58
93 -> 64
94 -> 64
95 -> 64

I. The Klein family's annual income more than doubled from 1985 to 1995.
Income in 95 = 64 which is more than twice of 25 ( income from 85 ) - True : B, D are out

II. The Klein family's annual income increased by a greater amount from 1985 to 1990 than from 1990 to 1995.

90 - 85 = 44 - 25 = 19
95 - 90 = 64 - 44 = 20

so 19 > 20 - No So E is out

III. The Klein family's average (arithmetic mean) annual income for the period shown was greater than $40,000.

to find average - Let's divide data points by 11 directly rather than summing and then dividing by 11
\(\frac{25}{11}\) + \(\frac{26}{11}\) + \(\frac{26}{11}\) + \(\frac{35}{11}\) + \(\frac{40}{11}\) +
\(\frac{44}{11}\) + \(\frac{44}{11}\) + \(\frac{58}{11}\) + \(\frac{64}{11}\) + \(\frac{64}{11}\) +
\(\frac{64}{11}\)

= 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 [ just taking integer values ]
= 8 + 10 + 9 + 15
= 18 + 24
= 42 > 40 hence answer = C

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65223 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sarathvr wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
SamuelWitwicky wrote:

And this is exactly how IR always asks the questions. Can the following be inferred? Yes or No.

There is a difference:

Can you infer that: The Klein family's annual income increased by a greater amount from 1985 to 1990 than from 1990 to 1995.
If this is not true, you say that you cannot infer this from the graph. This is a statement and to be inferred, it needs to be true only.

On the other hand: Did the Klein family's annual income increase by a greater amount from 1985 to 1990 than from 1990 to 1995?
When it is a question, you can answer with a Yes or No. Both answers are acceptable. The only answer not acceptable is may be. (your basic DS principle)

This question is asking about a statement and whether you can infer that. If the statement is correct, only then you can infer it.

So just to be sure, in PS and DS, when the question asks 'can you infer...' it means can you get an exact value of this (true/false, yes/no, etc)? But in IR, when the question asks 'can you infer...' it means is there sufficient information provided in the paragraphs and tables for you to ARRIVE at an answer or DEDUCE an answer?

No, the difference does not lie in whether the question is asked in PS/DS or IR. The difference lies in the way the question is asked.

Can you infer that:
The Klein family's annual income increased by a greater amount from 1985 to 1990 than from 1990 to 1995.

This is a statement. To infer it, it needs to be true. If this is not true, you say that you cannot infer this from the graph.

On the other hand:
Did the Klein family's annual income increase by a greater amount from 1985 to 1990 than from 1990 to 1995?

When it is a question, you can answer with a Yes or No. Both answers are acceptable. The only answer not acceptable is may be.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65223 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NoHalfMeasures wrote:
Rock750 wrote:
vikrantgulia wrote:
Ok, lets see:
(25 + 25 + 25 + 35 + 35 + 40 + 40 + 55 + 60 + 60 +60) / 11 = 41,8 SO , that is true .

How did you take last three numbers as 60. they look more close to 65 to me. Deciding the xact values make me waste a lot of time on these questions. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Use the deviation method I have discussed above.

If you do want to take values, take approximate values:
25, 26, 26, 35, 36, 38, 38, 56, 63, 63, 63

Mind you, the average you will get will not be very close to 40 so a few points here and there on your approximation will make no difference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Kudos
Just a quick note

Once you realized that I. must be true and II. must not, then you can ignore statement III. and directly mark C: C is the only answer in which I. is true and II. is not!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
For III - Since the data is for 11 consecutive years, why can't you consider year 6 (1990) as the mean? If you do, the annual income appears to be right under $40,000.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 524 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
this question require us to approximate.
not easy. but if you practice often, it would be easy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Schools: LBS '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
vikrantgulia wrote:
Attachment:
GMAT.png
Which of the following statements can be inferred from the data above?

I. The Klein family's annual income more than doubled from 1985 to 1995.
II. The Klein family's annual income increased by a greater amount from 1985 to 1990 than from 1990 to 1995.
III. The Klein family's average (arithmetic mean) annual income for the period shown was greater than $40,000.

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Hi
This is an GMAT Prep Question.Please let me know the correct answer and why it correct?
Moreover, why We cannot infer II from the data above?

Bunuel, could you comment if this is an actual GMATPrep Quant question or an IR question?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SamuelWitwicky,

Most Test Takers see 1 question in the Quant section that involves a complex-looking chart, graph or table; the prompt is usually more complex than an 'average' question and takes the better part of 3 minutes to solve. Thus, this type of question COULD show up in your Quant section (but you won't see many of them).

As complex as the prompt looks, very little actual math is required to solve it. Some general estimation and pattern-matching will get you the correct answer.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi SamuelWitwicky,

Most Test Takers see 1 question in the Quant section that involves a complex-looking chart, graph or table; the prompt is usually more complex than an 'average' question and takes the better part of 3 minutes to solve. Thus, this type of question COULD show up in your Quant section (but you won't see many of them).

As complex as the prompt looks, very little actual math is required to solve it. Some general estimation and pattern-matching will get you the correct answer.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hey thanks for the reply. ok if that is so, i'd like to understand the wording of the question so that I don't make the same mistake again. The question stem states, which of the following can be inferred from the graph right?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
SamuelWitwicky wrote:

There is a difference:

ok got it! thanks a lot Karishma :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2017 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Rock750 wrote:
vikrantgulia wrote:
Ok, lets see:
(25 + 25 + 25 + 35 + 35 + 40 + 40 + 55 + 60 + 60 +60) / 11 = 41,8 SO , that is true .

How did you take last three numbers as 60. they look more close to 65 to me. Deciding the xact values make me waste a lot of time on these questions. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
SamuelWitwicky wrote:

There is a difference:

So just to be sure, in PS and DS, when the question asks 'can you infer...' it means can you get an exact value of this (true/false, yes/no, etc)? But in IR, when the question asks 'can you infer...' it means is there sufficient information provided in the paragraphs and tables for you to ARRIVE at an answer or DEDUCE an answer?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65223 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Responding to a pm:
Quote:
For this particular question (URL link above), I chose Option E as I can infer all the statements, two of which(I and III) are right and one (II) is false.
Kindly explain where am I going wrong?

You cannot infer statement II. Here is why:

If this is not true, you say that you cannot infer this from the graph. This is a statement and to be inferred, it needs to be true ONLY.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Schools: NUS '20
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
dolphinitida wrote:
For III - Since the data is for 11 consecutive years, why can't you consider year 6 (1990) as the mean? If you do, the annual income appears to be right under $40,000.

What you are talking about is the median. Year 6 will give you the median income. The mean needn't lie at the middle value.
Say, for a set of numbers 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 20, 22, mean will not be 6 (the middle value). Median will be 6 but mean will be much higher.

Another way to analyze statement III is this:

First 3 points are at most 15000 less than 40,000.
Next 4 points are almost 40,000 each.
The next point is at least 15,000 more than 40,000
The next 3 points are at least 20,000 more than 40,000.

So overall, the distance of the points higher than 40,000 is more than the distance of the points lower than 40,000. This is just your deviation concept applied visually.

For more on deviation, check: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/05 ... eviations/

this saves a lot of time. i kept addiing all the values and calculating average, eating lot of time
thanks for the post
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIM
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
I did a calculation mistake while evaluating statement 3 - marked answer A as option. Learning: I should not do calculation in mind, rather I should actually write calculations in a piece of paper.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93155 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts