Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 14:10 It is currently 10 May 2024, 14:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622690 [5]
Given Kudos: 81828
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:General Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q41 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32405 [1]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Re: A farmer owns a square parcel of land, on which the longest straight-l [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ans C 24...
longest straight line in a square=diagonal so sides =2*underrroot2
length of new land =3*2*underrroot2..
a=underrroot2*3*2*underrroot2=24
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: A farmer owns a square parcel of land, on which the longest straight-l [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
farmland.png
A farmer owns a square parcel of land, on which the longest straight-line distance he can travel between any two points on his property is 4 kilometers. If he purchases the land immediately to the north of his property, and if that land is the same width east to west but twice as long north to south, how many square kilometers of property would he then own?

A. 16
B. 16√2
C. 24
D. 24√2
E. 48

Kudos for a correct solution.

The OA will be revealed on Sunday

side of the square 2√2. Area of the square 8. Area of the rectangular land 16

Total area 24.

Answer C
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622690 [1]
Given Kudos: 81828
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
farmland.png
A farmer owns a square parcel of land, on which the longest straight-line distance he can travel between any two points on his property is 4 kilometers. If he purchases the land immediately to the north of his property, and if that land is the same width east to west but twice as long north to south, how many square kilometers of property would he then own?

A. 16
B. 16√2
C. 24
D. 24√2
E. 48

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

While the math looks a little ugly to start, it cleans up nicely (as usual on the GMAT). Since the longest distance between two points on a square is its diagonal, if that distance for the current plot of land is 4, then that means that the length of each side of that smaller square is 4/√2. And since we know that the width of the new property is the same but the length is double, that makes the length of the new property 8/√2. When combined, the width stays the same at 4/√2 and the new length becomes 12/√2, and then to find the area just multiply them together. The roots in the denominator will multiply out to just 2, so the fraction is 48/2 for a total of 24.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q41 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
TudorM wrote:
Hello Bunuel, I gave it a try:

CORRECT ANSWER C. 24

The longest straight-line distance in his square parcel is the diagonals, so the diagonal d of the square = 4.

Using the right triange pitagora formula, we find the side of the square of the actual parcel which I will further note l.

l^2+l^2 = 4^2

2l^2 = 16 => l^2 = 8 =? l = 2√2

If the side of the actual parcel is 2√2 then the long side of the new parcel is 2 x 2√2 = 4√2 which helps us find the side of the total parcel:

2√2 + 4√2 = 6√2

The area of the total parcel is the area of its rectangle which is large side x small side so

2√2 x 6√2 = 24 => CORRECT ANSWER C

Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
farmland.png

A. 16
B. 16√2
C. 24
D. 24√2
E. 48

Hey TudorM we have the same test date.. All the best..
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93155 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts