It is currently 17 Jan 2018, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 03:20
Could an expert explain this question please?

Thanks.
Ankit Bansal

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 04:45
A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times>> in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

way to victory .....

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 3789 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
marine wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times>> in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

Ankit73 wrote:

A. Wrong - 2 errors.
error 1. The past participle modifier "compared to a ratio ....." wrongly refers to "workers".
error 2. When using multiples such as "x times", "double" etc. using comparative such as "more","less" etc is wrong. The comparatives are used for mathematical operators sum and difference.
Correct: I am 5 meters taller than he is. (difference is 5 meters, comparative "taller" is OK)
Correct: My height is double / 3 times his height. (multiplier is 2 / 3, no comparative)
Wrong: My height is 3 times more than his height. (for multiplier, cannot use comparative "more")

B. Wrong.
The active voice usage "the ratio that compares to.." is wrong. The ratio does not compare - the ratio IS compared (passive).

C. Correct.
Correct usage of comparison"as compared to".
The modifier "that ratio" correctly refers to "42 times".

D. Wrong.
error 2 of option A above.

E. Wrong.
error 1 of option A above.

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 04:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
marine wrote:

Ankit73 wrote:

A. Wrong - 2 errors.
error 1. The past participle modifier "compared to a ratio ....." wrongly refers to "workers".
error 2. When using multiples such as "x times", "double" etc. using comparative such as "more","less" etc is wrong. The comparatives are used for mathematical operators sum and difference.
Correct: I am 5 meters taller than he is. (difference is 5 meters, comparative "taller" is OK)
Correct: My height is double / 3 times his height. (multiplier is 2 / 3, no comparative)
Wrong: My height is 3 times more than his height. (for multiplier, cannot use comparative "more")

B. Wrong.
The active voice usage "the ratio that compares to.." is wrong. The ratio does not compare - the ratio IS compared (passive).

C. Correct.

D. Wrong.

E. Wrong.

Thanks for the explanation. However, isn't 'compared to a ratio' a verb-ed modifier? Do verb-ed modifiers also need to be as close as possible to whatever they are modifying?

Thanks.
Ankit Bansal

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 3789 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 05:08
Ankit73 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
marine wrote:

Ankit73 wrote:

A. Wrong - 2 errors.

B. Wrong.

C. Correct.

D. Wrong.

E. Wrong.

Thanks for the explanation. However, isn't 'compared to a ratio' a verb-ed modifier? Do verb-ed modifiers also need to be as close as possible to whatever they are modifying?

Yes, verb-ed modifiers, like other modifiers (except verb-ing modifiers), should generally touch the noun it modifies. This is precisely mentioned as error 1 for option a.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 07:54
egmat wrote:
Hi,
I received a Pm to respond to this one.

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

According to a recent review, CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers. The ratio of the same was 42:1 in 1990.

Now let’s look at error of this sentence:
1. Usage of “a ratio of” is incorrect here. It’s ambiguous what does it refer to. Also, it breaks the parallelism between “419 times” and “42 times”. Only the expression “42 times” would have been enough to present the correct comparison.

PoE:

a. that CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

b. that, on average, CEOs now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times: Incorrect. This choice suggests the ratio compares to 42 times, that is in 42 different times in 1990. This is illogical comparison.

c. that, on average, CEOs now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio: Correct. The parallelism is correctly maintained. “a ratio” correctly modifies “ “42 times their pay”.

d. CEOs who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio: Incorrect. Per this choice, recent reviews indicate “CEOs”.

e. CEOs now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the same error as in choice A.
2. Repeats the same error as in choice D.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi @e-gmat,

As per e-gmat verbal online. we must not use "As/when" with "compare/contrast"
But here OA is C - which uses "as compared to"
Please advise where i am going wrong.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 472

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 02:09
gagan0001 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi,
I received a Pm to respond to this one.

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

According to a recent review, CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers. The ratio of the same was 42:1 in 1990.

Now let’s look at error of this sentence:
1. Usage of “a ratio of” is incorrect here. It’s ambiguous what does it refer to. Also, it breaks the parallelism between “419 times” and “42 times”. Only the expression “42 times” would have been enough to present the correct comparison.

PoE:

a. that CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

b. that, on average, CEOs now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times: Incorrect. This choice suggests the ratio compares to 42 times, that is in 42 different times in 1990. This is illogical comparison.

c. that, on average, CEOs now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio: Correct. The parallelism is correctly maintained. “a ratio” correctly modifies “ “42 times their pay”.

d. CEOs who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio: Incorrect. Per this choice, recent reviews indicate “CEOs”.

e. CEOs now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the same error as in choice A.
2. Repeats the same error as in choice D.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha egmat
In option C, can't we say 'their' is ambiguous, as it can refer to CEOs or blue-collar workers?

There are 2 reasons that the pronoun "their" is not ambiguous.

1. If the pronoun were to refer to "CEO", a reflexive form (e.g. "of themselves", or atleast a form such as "their own") would be required. The very fact that a reflexive form is not used makes it clear that the pronoun does not refer to CEO's.

2. By virtue of paralellism the pronoun clearly refers to "blue-collar workers" ....... X = "pay of blue-collar workers", Y= "their pay". Hence the use of the pronoun "their" is alright.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 22:23
I am not convinced by the official solution.
"as compared to" is an unidiomatic expression. "in contrast to..." or "Contrasted to/with" is in my opinion idiomatic.
Can some expert please clarify?

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manhasnoname wrote:
I have a very basic question - Doesn' t CEO's signal possessiveness? Is that a typo in the question?

It is alright to use apostrophe when certain awkward abbreviations are made plural - the apostrophe indicates missing letter(s).
Ideally a noun ending with "o" should take "-es" to be converted to be plural. But for abbreviations addition of "-es" is not a practice. Hence to indicate the missing "e", the apostrophe is used. However it is recommended to avoid apostrophe for ordinary abbreviations - PM: PMs.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 23:51
C is correct. They first compare the numbers and then arrive at a ratio. Not the other way round.

that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio.

My salary is 10K more when compared to my friends. I earn 20K. Now what is the ratio? 1:2. Hope this clarifies.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 12:58
22gmat wrote:
I am not convinced by the official solution.
"as compared to" is an unidiomatic expression. "in contrast to..." or "Contrasted to/with" is in my opinion idiomatic.
Can some expert please clarify?

Thank you.
Kind regards.

The usage "as compared to" is valid. Here since a comparison is made, it is alright to use "as compared to". Nonetheless, the expression "compared to" ( without "as") is also valid.

Moreover contrasting may not be appropriate here since a comparison is made to show that one is greater than the other - not one is the opposite of the other.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 07:15
Okay, thank you very much for your support. Now it is clear for me.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 21:20
eybrj2 wrote:
31. A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

Anybody can explain?

"that" is required to add clarity. So D and E is out.

A gives a sense that all CEO's earnings > average (419 * pay of blue-collar workers) - which seems non-sensical.

Between B and C I chose B because it is more clear to me - CEO's pay (x) = 419 * blue-collar workers pay (y). => x/y = 419. And this ratio is 42 in 1980.

Could someone please clarify why C is correct? Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1302 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 01:49
C says the exact same thing as B about the relationship between current CEO and employee pay, so there's no reason to pick one over the other on that basis. However, B goes on to say that this ratio "compares to 42 times in 1980." This isn't clear at all. What does it mean that the ratio compares to something? What are the 42 times?

C clears this up by making a comparison between the current ratio (419:1) and the 1980 ratio (42:1). There's no pronoun ambiguity, since CEO's could never have earned 42 times their own pay!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1302 [0], given: 30

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 02:14
manhasnoname wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
31. A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

Anybody can explain?

"that" is required to add clarity. So D and E is out.

A gives a sense that all CEO's earnings > average (419 * pay of blue-collar workers) - which seems non-sensical.

Between B and C I chose B because it is more clear to me - CEO's pay (x) = 419 * blue-collar workers pay (y). => x/y = 419. And this ratio is 42 in 1980.

Could someone please clarify why C is correct? Thanks!

Could you highlight what issue you see in option C? It is already clarified in the above post, why the pronoun "their" is not ambiguous:
a-recent-review-of-pay-scales-indicates-that-ceo-s-now-earn-124149.html#p1683185

The problems in B are as follows:

1. The usage "a ratio that compares to" is problematic:

It is alright to use "compare to" (as a verb), when two entities / features are compared. However using "compare to" (as a verb) for two measurements (or values) of two entities / features compared is awkward - it is better to use "compared to" (as a participle):

My salary of INR 1000 compares to INR 2000 of yours.... awkward.
Do not compare my salary to your salary... correct.
As compared to my salary of INR 1000, your salary is INR 2000 .... correct.

2. There is a slight lack of clarity about 42 times - what 42 times refers to is not clear in B.

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3281 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 03:03
Top Contributor
eybrj2 wrote:

Anybody can explain?

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times ----------->>>here "compared to" comparing pay with ratio illogically
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times --------->>> here "ratio" illogically referring "pay"
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio ---------->>>Correct
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio ----------->>> Modifier error,No verb here
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times ---------->>> Modifier error,No verb here

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3281 [0], given: 220

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 97

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 22:40
Comparison between "ratio nowadays" and "ratio in 1980"
a. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times --> Wrong comparison
b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times --> Wrong comparison
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio --> Correct Comparison (Best among 5 answer choices)
d. CEO's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio --> "Indicates" need that followed (Review indicates CEO's = illogical meaning)
e. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times --> "Indicates" need that followed (Review indicates CEO's = illogical meaning)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 97

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 53

Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
WE: Design (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2016, 09:30
Isn't as compared to wrong?
the correct use should be
In Comparison/contrast with/to
Compared/contrasted with/to

A is out for wrong comarison
D & E dont have verb for the subject CEO
Now between B & C, I didn't spend anytime & selected B, thinking "as Compared to" is wrong.

confused. please help me understand this

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 53

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 04:40
A, B, and E: 42 times in 1980
“42 times WHAT VALUE in 1980”?
Eliminate A, B and E.
D: “A recent review indicates CEO's”
Not the intended meaning: the review doesn't indicate the CEO'S THEMSELVES.
Rather, the review indicates an ACTION, as conveyed by the OA:
“that, on average, CEO’s now EARN 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers”.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.
“as compared to” conveys essentially the same meaning as “in contrast to”.
The meaning conveyed by the OA is as follows:
“419 times the pay of blue-collar workers is IN CONTRAST TO 42 times their pay, the ratio in 1980.”

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 855

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 59

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 07:58
hbs2012 wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

A. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times

B. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.

C. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

D. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

E. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

Reached answer using POE .

A. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
The highlighted phrase is constructed wrongly here. 42 times what ?

B. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
Same as in A

C. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
modifier used here is correct.

D. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
'that' is required

E. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
'that' is required. Modifier is wrong.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 59

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2017, 07:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 90 posts ] 

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap