GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 22:37
sayantanc2k wrote:
22gmat wrote:
I am not convinced by the official solution.
"as compared to" is an unidiomatic expression. "in contrast to..." or "Contrasted to/with" is in my opinion idiomatic.
Can some expert please clarify?

Thank you.
Kind regards.

The usage "as compared to" is valid. Here since a comparison is made, it is alright to use "as compared to". Nonetheless, the expression "compared to" ( without "as") is also valid.

Moreover contrasting may not be appropriate here since a comparison is made to show that one is greater than the other - not one is the opposite of the other.

Please help me. I am in doubt with respect to accepting the expression "as compared to". there is no doubt that as compared to referring to the ratio. My doubt is that whether the construction is valid?
For example -
1. "Compared to ratio of 42 times their pay, the ratio of 419 times the pay is big." is okay.
2. "Compared to ratio of 42 times their pay, CEO's earn 419 times the blue collar workers" is wrong. Comparison is between CEOs and ratio.
Here in the answer choice C, the construction is just a flip of 2 clauses in the second example, but I think comparison is invalid.
The second example is same as "CEO's earn 419 times the blue collar workers, compared to ratio of 42 times their pay"
Please help me I'm struck here.
i believe, 'as' doesn't make any difference.
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average &nbs [#permalink] 10 Apr 2018, 22:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 21 posts ] 

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap