It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 13:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
mbaMission wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

E.

Pay attention to "CEO's", which equals to "CEO is". After this, I think it's pretty clear that E is the only correct one among others, since the correct form is "CEO is earning".

Consider giving Kudos if you like the post.

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 39

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2009, 03:09
I think this question has somewhere has already been discussed. I say E.

What's the OA?

Consider giving Kudos if you like the post.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 39

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 50

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2009, 03:30
OA is B i think not sure :)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 50

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2009, 07:14
It's a GMAT Prep question. OA: C

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2009, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
urchin wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

Between A and B, I would go with A.
Actually I prefer to repeat " a ratio" in B than just say "compared to 42 times" in A, but the reason I didn't choose B is because B uses "compares" rather than "compared", I think the passive voice "the ratio is compared" is better than the active voice "the ratio compares" in this case.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 294 [1], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2009, 22:49
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.
a) incorrect comparison of pay with blue collar workers
b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.42 Times of what? makes an incorrect ratio comparison
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratioCORRECT
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio - meaning changed - 419 times more pay is different from 419 times the pay
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
same reason as D

Kudos [?]: 294 [1], given: 25

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2009, 20:23
ANS: C

D, E are out because pay scale indicates CEO is wrong .
It should be indicates a fact that.

A is wrong because 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers
Pay can’t be compared to blue colour worker.

B is awkward.

If the above explanation helps.........

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 757 [1], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2010, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
tough question....could get down to B and C...picked (C) because B sounds awkward with...."a ratio that compares....."

b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio - should be indicates that
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times - should be indicates that

Kudos [?]: 757 [1], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 315

WE 1: 5.0

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2010, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
billyjeans wrote:
I picked C.
I don't think B corrected expressed what it is comparing. C, although long, but not necessarily wordy, made the correct comparison.

i agree with Billyjeans,
D&E: out as we need "that" here
A: out as wrong comparison
between (B) and (C) I vote for (C) for 2 reasons:
- We need "X times something" but not "X times" alone.
- "that compares to ..." is awkward
people can say "their" in (C) is ambiguos but i dont think so. I think it paralel to "the pay of blue-collar workers"

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 315

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2010, 08:02

a. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times - that and correct comparison "compared to (unlike things)"
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio - not starting with "indicates that" - that restricitve pronoun is required to refer back the subject in context.
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times - same as D

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2010, 14:21
OA is C.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9045 [10], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2013, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
I received a Pm to respond to this one.

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

According to a recent review, CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers. The ratio of the same was 42:1 in 1990.

Now let’s look at error of this sentence:
1. Usage of “a ratio of” is incorrect here. It’s ambiguous what does it refer to. Also, it breaks the parallelism between “419 times” and “42 times”. Only the expression “42 times” would have been enough to present the correct comparison.

PoE:

a. that CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

b. that, on average, CEOs now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times: Incorrect. This choice suggests the ratio compares to 42 times, that is in 42 different times in 1990. This is illogical comparison.

c. that, on average, CEOs now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio: Correct. The parallelism is correctly maintained. “a ratio” correctly modifies “ “42 times their pay”.

d. CEOs who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio: Incorrect. Per this choice, recent reviews indicate “CEOs”.

e. CEOs now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the same error as in choice A.
2. Repeats the same error as in choice D.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9045 [10], given: 335

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2013, 11:01
a. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

A,D Out as we don't use "Times" and "more than (comparison signals) " simultaneously .

Moreover, B is awkward as colored.

E changes the tense from simple to progressive .

Well that will help !!!

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 36

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2013, 22:58
targetgmatchotu wrote:
a. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times

A,D Out as we don't use "Times" and "more than (comparison signals) " simultaneously .

Well that will help !!!

Hai, Wanted to clarify the same. Can we eliminate A and D for the reasons stated here? "Times" and "more than" both are used.

I wanted to clarify bcz i made a 2/3 split using this approach. Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 36

Director
Director

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2013, 01:07
friend29 wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Well that will help !!!

Hai, Wanted to clarify the same. Can we eliminate A and D for the reasons stated here? "Times" and "more than" both are used.

I wanted to clarify bcz i made a 2/3 split using this approach. Thanks in advance.

Surely, the split works .However, I won't recommend the strategy of splits because sometimes the right answer as per individual's choice isn't the correct answer.

Moreover, I would like to recommend the E-gmat strategy of understanding the meaning first.However, I am not the endorser of the same.

Rgds,
TGC

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2013, 22:25
I like A... but maybe that's because I'm thinking in to this too much.

I narrowed it down to A. and B., but there is a fundamental difference between "Ceos earning an Average of 419 times" and "on average, a CEO earns 419 times" ... which in essence is saying that "the average CEO earns 419 times"....

B. and C. change the noun that "average" modifies and should therefore be eliminated due to a change in meaning..

but maybe I'm reading way too much into that.. I just finished a book on statistical fallacies and that was one of them lol.

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 40

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1847 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 13:43
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980

that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times.
Three errors:
Meaning : CEO's earn what - an average of something or money - an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers: nonsensical. {YES/NO}
Idiom : X times more pay than Y , should be X times of Y {YES/NO}
Modifier : blue-collar workers, compared to blah blah... compared is a ed-modifier modifying workers: wrong {YES/NO}

that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
Meaning : a ratio that compares to 42 times; ratio 419:1 compares to 42:1 of 1980 .... compares what ? incomplete meaning. {YES/NO}

that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio.
Modifier : the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared .... the pay of xx, as compared to workers pay compared is modifying the pay and this modification is acceptable thus here it is fine.
Absolute phrase : The ratio in 1980 someway modifies the proceeding modifier's object 42:1 in 1980.
Correct sentence.

CEO's who now earn on average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio.
Meaning : A recent review of pay scales indicates NOUN CEO's : wrong
Meaning : CEO's who earn , limiting the scope of meaning to CEO's who earn earn blah blah... original meaning covers all CEO's in GENERAL. {YES/NO}
Meaning : who now earn on average of something or money - an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers: nonsensical. {YES/NO}
Modifier : than blue-collar workers, compared to blah blah... compared is a ed-modifier modifying workers: wrong {YES/NO}

CEO's now (modifier) earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
Meaning : A recent review of pay scales indicates NOUN CEO's : wrong
Meaning : earning an average of something or money - an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers: nonsensical. {YES/NO}
Modifier: the pay ..., compared (OK) but comparison is not right 419 times the pay != the ratio of 42 times

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1847 [0], given: 229

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2014, 04:36
urchin wrote:

I agree choice C is best but
in C "as compared " is a elliptical clause which mofifies the preceding clause and refers to "CEO's" . This make no sense.

logicaly, "as compared to " modifies "419 times". but grammartially, "as compared to" can not modifiy "419 times. there is no pattern of this kind in english grammar

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [1], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
According to Ron Purewal, the answer is C.http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gma ... t1889.html

Kudos [?]: 120 [1], given: 2405

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 09:37
Really good explanation by ron..

In short here it is:
"compared to a ratio of 42 times" - 'times' cannot be left alone - it has to be times of something..

Also after reading the ron's explanation I realized that 'their' is not really ambiguous because of parallelism
419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay

Good question..

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average   [#permalink] 09 May 2014, 09:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 68 posts ] 

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap