Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:14 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Applying to ISB EEO, HEC Paris MiM, ESSEC MIM, SPJIMR PGDM
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [14]
Given Kudos: 97
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: ISB '24
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.81
WE:Brand Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
A research study recorded that the number of unemployed educated youth [#permalink]
Kudos
I think the OA would be 'C', because we need the probability here, if we know the percentages then we can answer the probability.
On the other hand 'A' also has an answer as the youth who are educated and unemployed today might have got an employment after a few years but the uneducated might or might not have, which again leads to confusion, hence A doesn't make a clear distinction.

can anyone throw some light on this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
A research study recorded that the number of unemployed educated youth [#permalink]
Kudos
Honestly I chose C in my first sight, but when I saw OA and read the stimulus again, I think it may be cause: the first sentence is saying the employment situation of the youth, but the conclusion is saying the probability of being employed, this probability would be for all people rather than only for the youth, so it is a gap b/w premise & conclusion, and we must know the employment situation of other age groups
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Applying to ISB EEO, HEC Paris MiM, ESSEC MIM, SPJIMR PGDM
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: ISB '24
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.81
WE:Brand Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: A research study recorded that the number of unemployed educated youth [#permalink]
Solution:

In the above passage, it is finally concluded that being educated does not enhance the probability of being employed. In order to strengthen the conclusion, we need to have the information regarding the number of unemployed educated and uneducated people in other age groups. Choice (A)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Re: A research study recorded that the number of unemployed educated youth [#permalink]
At my first hit I did C too. But then re-read the stimulus.

It shows only the stats of youth and draws a conclusion that being educated does not enhance the probability of being employed. A is right because what if we look at people of other age group and see a lower number of educated unemployed vs uneducated unemployed?

Option C talks about percentage, but in youth category in general. For example, we have 100 youth and 10 of them are unemployed educated and 10 of them are uneducated-unemployed. Then percentage remains same for both the cases i.e., 10%

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
RanonBanerjee wrote:
At my first hit I did C too. But then re-read the stimulus.

It shows only the stats of youth and draws a conclusion that being educated does not enhance the probability of being employed. A is right because what if we look at people of other age group and see a lower number of educated unemployed vs uneducated unemployed?

Option C talks about percentage, but in youth category in general. For example, we have 100 youth and 10 of them are unemployed educated and 10 of them are uneducated-unemployed. Then percentage remains same for both the cases i.e., 10%

Posted from my mobile device

I understood that option A helps.
However, in option C, percentages would have been the same if those were calculated on the total youth count. However, the option mentions "The percentage of unemployment in educated youth versus percentage of unemployment in uneducated youth".

So, it there are 300 people considered as a youth, out of which 100 are uneducated and 200 are educated, and 20 are unemployed in both the categories, "The percentage of unemployment in educated youth" will be 10% and "the percentage of unemployment in uneducated youth" will be 20%.
Both are different. Option C clearly mentions that it is calculating % of unemployment separately in two individual categories of educated youth and uneducated youth, and not on the combined-total youth population.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Not sure if it is a GMAT worthy or a legit question

Option C - Clearly the percentage aspect is correct - just the number of people educated or uneducated who are unemployed being the same does nothing for the conclusion - we do need the percentage - and still will not justify the conclusion.

Option A - Again just having the number for the same in other groups will do the conclusion no justice - nothing more is added but unreliable numbers.

Leaned towards both, believe they are both wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts