Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [102]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [89]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [17]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf [#permalink]
Here is what I am confused about

25) tions have not succeeded. In short,
the evidence implies that these insect
populations, if not self-regulating, may
at least be regulated by an agent more
intimately connected with the insect than
(30) are predatory birds or parasites.

So what is the conclusion in these 5 lines?

Pop Cycles are not completely self regulated and not caused by birds or insects.

The fact that alteration cycles have not succeeded is an evidence

While I agree that B attacks the evidence, I dont think it weakens the conclusion one way or the other.

With C it is saying that the virus from predators/birds is actually the cause. So Pop cycles are possibly caused by virus by birds/predators. The later part of the passage clearly establishes that virus is transmitted by birds and predators.

So why is C wrong and B is correct? is it because the NPV is not introduced in the passage by the lines of 25-30??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Re: A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf [#permalink]
Kudos
icandy wrote:
Here is what I am confused about

So what is the conclusion in these 5 lines?

Pop Cycles are not completely self regulated and not caused by birds or insects.

The fact that alteration cycles have not succeeded is an evidence

While I agree that B attacks the evidence, I dont think it weakens the conclusion one way or the other.

With C it is saying that the virus from predators/birds is actually the cause. So Pop cycles are possibly caused by virus by birds/predators. The later part of the passage clearly establishes that virus is transmitted by birds and predators.

So why is C wrong and B is correct? is it because the NPV is not introduced in the passage by the lines of 25-30??

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author’s conclusion in lines 25-30?

--------------------------
Explanation:

A. New research reveals that the number of species of birds and parasites that prey on lepidoptera has dropped significantly in recent years. ---> Irrelevant.

B. New experiments in which the habitats of lepidoptera are altered in previously untried ways result in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles. ---> The author mentions in the excerpt that there is some other agent that controls the insect population. He concludes this on the basis of info present in lines 15-25. But this option makes clear that there were still some untried ways, which actually resulted in some concrete findings (shortening of lepidoptera population cycles).

I think, nitya34 is also trying to convey the same reasoning.

C. Recent experiments have revealed that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites of lepidoptera. ---> This may strengthen the argument by assuming virus as a more intimately connected regulatory agent. (Refer line 31: …..Recent work suggests that this agent may be a virus.....)

icandy: Can you please point to the line where it clearly establishes that virus is transmitted by birds and predators?

Anyways, IMO, even if it’s mentioned that the virus is transmitted by birds and predators, it’ll not be the correct answer because viruses are just piggybacking on birds and predators. Viruses are the actual agents not birds and predators.

So, I ruled out option C.

D. Differences among the habitats of lepidoptera species make it difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles. ---> Inconclusive. This option states that assessing the effect of weather (in case, it could have acted as an agent) on lepidoptera population cycles has proved to be a problematic task. As no results have been mentioned, we cannot conclude anything.

E. Viral disease is typically observed in a large proportion of the lepidoptera population. ---> Irrelevant.
--------------------------

I also go for option B.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [11]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
1. Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author’s conclusion in lines 25- 30 (bold lines)?
The conclusion is the insect population maybe at least be regulated by an agent more intimate.... It is drawn based on 2 premises:
- The approach of measuring mortality caused by predatory birds or parasites does not work;
- The experiments to change caterpillar's habitat and population don't work either.

So in order to weaken the conclusion, we need to break the link between the conclusion and one of 2 above premises.

A. New research reveals that the number of species of birds and parasites that prey on lepidoptera has dropped significantly in recent years.
Does not affect the conclusion. The number of those birds and parasites decreased, but the lepidoptera population fluctuated -> strengthen the conclusion.

B. New experiments in which the habitats of lepidoptera are altered in previously untried ways result in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles.
CORRECT! It is not that the experiments don't work, but the untried ones do -> the link between the conclusion and the 2nd premise is broken.

C. Recent experiments have revealed that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites of lepidoptera.
Strengthen the conclusion when citing a possible cause related to the insect itself.

D. Differences among the habitats of lepidoptera species make it difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles.
This is a contender. I think it affects the conclusion on a certain level. Need someone's explanation for eliminating this choice.

E. Viral disease is typically observed in a large proportion of the lepidoptera population.
Same as C. It supports the conclusion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks souvik101990. Excited for this new project!!

3 right out of 4.

For 1st question, I was confused between B and C and chose the wrong answer.

My initial understanding was that the underlined portion talks about decline is population is not because of predatory birds or parasites but because of something that is intimately connected with the insect. So, was looking only for the option that refutes this premise. However, I missed 'in short' that also includes the previous line and hence opts out habitat as the reason of decline.

After few readings, I understood that option B weakens the underlined portion by giving an evidence of decline in population because of habitat change.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
1. We need to weaken the conclusion that something more intimately connected helps in declining the population.

Now, refer to the line prior to the highlighted one. "population ecologists’ attempts to alter cycles by changing the caterpillars’ habitat and by reducing caterpillar populations have not succeeded."

So, from B, we see that by changing the habitat in one particular way, there is a decline in the population.

Virus is not mentioned in the 1st para. Rest options are irrelevant.

This makes B the correct one.

2. " The common approach of studying causes of population cycles by measuring the mortality caused by different agents, such as predatory birds or parasites"

Thus A.

3. In the last para, "One of the attractions of this hypothesis" clearly mentions this as a hypothesis about the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera.

Hence, C.

4. In the 2nd para, "but population ecologists had usually considered viral disease to have contributed to the decline once it was underway rather than to have initiated it." Makes D the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Kudos
For question number 5, I chose E because I could not find any right answer choice A to D. But OA is C. Anyone could help explain why C? Many thanks :)

RC00120-04. It can be inferred from the passage that while inside its polyhedrin protein crystals, the nuclear polyhedrosis virus

(A) is exposed to direct sunlight
(B) is attractive to predators
(C) cannot infect caterpillars' cells
(D) cannot be ingested by caterpillars
(E) cannot be detected by new techniques of molecular biology
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Kudos
manjot123 wrote:
GMATNinja workout sir please explain why b and not c???/?

Hello manjot123,

CC workout

Please take care of the points below from the next time onwards :

1. Mention the Q - number ( more preferably the entire Q ) relating to the query.
2. Its always better to add your thought process and analysis with your query for better learning experience.
3. Please go through all the post in that particular thread before you post a query - Your answer might already be there

As far as my IMAGINATION goes.........for your query......... you are looking for Q6 ........ please go through the other posts in this thread....... your answer is already there :-)
And if it is not Q6............ please follow step 01 & 02.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
phuulinh225 wrote:
For question number 5, I chose E because I could not find any right answer choice A to D. But OA is C. Anyone could help explain why C? Many thanks :)

RC00120-04. It can be inferred from the passage that while inside its polyhedrin protein crystals, the nuclear polyhedrosis virus

(A) is exposed to direct sunlight
(B) is attractive to predators
(C) cannot infect caterpillars' cells
(D) cannot be ingested by caterpillars
(E) cannot be detected by new techniques of molecular biology

Hello phuulinh225,

Thanks for your note . Couple of quick points :

2. Its always better to add your thought process and analysis with your query for better learning experience.
3. Please go through all the post in that particular thread before you post a query - Your answer might already be there

Coming back to your question : "I chose E because I could not find any right answer choice A to D." ---- I understand that you have opted for E through POE method. I would like you to let us know the part(s) in the passage through which you have determined the other 4 (A,B,C & D) to be wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [3]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
6. Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author’s conclusion in lines 25- 30 (bold lines)?

This question asks us to flex our CR muscles, but let's first take a moment to nail down the structure and purpose of this passage:

• In paragraph 1, the author explains that a small number of lepidoptera species exhibit population cycles, and states that the driving force behind these cycles is difficult to identify. The author concludes that this driving force may be intimately connected to the insect itself, rather than being connected to the insect's predators or parasites.
  • In paragraph 2, the author presents recent work, which suggests that this driving force (a.k.a. the agent regulating population cycles) may be a virus.
  • In paragraph 3, the author notes that the virus hypothesis is attractive because it seems broadly applicable across different lepidoptera species.

OK, now let's revisit the conclusion being highlighted:

Quote:
In short, the evidence implies that these insect populations, if not self-regulating, may at least be regulated by an agent more intimately connected with the insect than are predatory birds or parasites.

The author concludes that whatever is regulating the population cycle is closer to the insect than it is to predatory birds or parasites. Here's how the author reaches this conclusion:

• Studying predatory birds and parasites, thought to be potential agents, has been unproductive in the case of lepidoptera.
  • Recent study of viral disease, thanks to new techniques of molecular biology, has identified nuclear polyhedrosis viruses as a more likely agent.
  • Polyhedrosis viruses follow an infectious cycle that is intimately linked to lepidoptera, in which lepidoptera ingest the virus in the form of crystals, incubate new virus particles within their bodies, and release these crystals back into the environment upon dying.

If we're looking to weaken this conclusion, we need an answer choice that either:

• contradicts what we've read about this link between polyhedrosis viruses and lepidoptera, or
  • delivers evidence that some other regulating agent is even more likely to be the driving force of these population cycles.

Now let's use process of elimination to go through all five choices.

Quote:
(A) New research reveals that the number of species of birds and parasites that prey on lepidoptera has dropped significantly in recent years.

This choice actually strengthens the conclusion, because it adds evidence that other potential agents (predatory birds and parasites) have significantly decreased in number in recent years. This reinforces what the author stated plainly in paragraph 1. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
(B) New experiments in which the habitats of lepidoptera are altered in previously untried ways result in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles.

This choice introduces new evidence that the regulating agent we're all looking for might be intimately linked to the habitats of lepidoptera, after all. Most importantly, this choice tells us that whatever these experiments did to habitats, that action definitely resulted in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles. We'll keep choice (B) because it provides proof that another agent--habitat--can regulate population cycles.

bpdulog wrote:
I was down to B and C but went with C since the later part of the line dismisses the relationship with predators and the driving force of the life cycle

Quote:
(C) Recent experiments have revealed that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites of lepidoptera.

Knowing that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites doesn't change anything we've read about the nuclear polyhedrosis virus and its link to lepidoptera. The author's conclusion does not depend on this virus existing only in lepidoptera. And the language of this answer choice doesn't include any dismissal of the intimate link between polyhedrosis viruses and lepidoptera. It simply points out that the virus is also present in predators and parasites of lepidoptera.

(C) doesn't contradict the impact of nuclear polyhedrosis viruses or provide an alternative agent, so we'll eliminate (C).

gauravmarwaha wrote:
I could easily eliminate options E, C and A and chose option D over B. Can someone help?

Quote:
(D) Differences among the habitats of lepidoptera species make it difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles.

Choice (D) does identify a potential alternative agent: weather. However, the logical statement made here is quite weak. (D) tells us that it's difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles. So even if it's possible for weather to affect these population cycles, we have no way of confirming whether that effect is actually taking place.

Likewise, I could say, "It's difficult to assess the effects of the lunar cycle on lepidoptera," but this wouldn't make me jump up and say that lunar cycles are likely to be more of a driving force of lepidoptera population cycles than nuclear polyhedrosis viruses. We're not interested in hypothetical effects that are difficult to assess. We're interested in proof that an alternative agent is truly at work. That's why we eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) Viral disease is typically observed in a large proportion of the lepidoptera population.

This choice doesn't affect the conclusion. Much like Choice (C), it tells us a little more about the presence of viral disease in lepidoptera populations, but it doesn't mention polyhedrosis viruses and doesn't provide evidence of any alternative agent regulating population cycles. Eliminate (E).

Whew! This may have taken me an entire population cycle to write. (Yes, more bad Dad jokes. I'm practicing them. There's no "negative kudos" button, so you're stuck with them.) After all of that, (B) is the only choice that presents evidence of a regulating agent that is NOT intimately linked to the insect (instead, the agent is linked to the insect's habitat). So we keep (B) and move on.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja

This explaination clears many of the doubts that I had on this question. So thank you!

But there is one slight aspect which remains super unclear to me.
IN option A can we infer that:
Since the no. of species of BIrds and parasites has dropped , there could be an increase in the Leip populations. Hence, this is one the factors that can affect the population cycles.

Hoping to hear from you soon!!

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
nitesh50 wrote:

Hi GMATNinja

This explaination clears many of the doubts that I had on this question. So thank you!

But there is one slight aspect which remains super unclear to me.
IN option A can we infer that:
Since the no. of species of BIrds and parasites has dropped , there could be an increase in the Leip populations. Hence, this is one the factors that can affect the population cycles.

Hoping to hear from you soon!!

Regards

Hey nitesh50
GMATNinja has given an awesome explanation!
Let me add to it and I am no expert but let me try to help! :)

So option A says that -
Quote:
(A) New research reveals that the number of species of birds and parasites that prey on lepidoptera has dropped significantly in recent years.

Your doubt - Since the no. of species of BIrds and parasites has dropped , there could be an increase in the Leip populations. Hence, this is one the factors that can affect the population cycles.

We are talking about population cycles. The population cycles that occur from time to time. So if a new study says that the birds and parasites that prey on lepido have decreased, does it really weaken the conclusion?
We already know that THE SAME PATTERN repeats. If this is really the cause then dont u think that the pattern would not have repeated firstly? We would not have population cycles at all. Basically they have already stated that mortality caused by these predators has not affected population cycles.
When you weaken the conclusion we cannot go against the facts stated. You can only weaken the logical reasoning used by the author to arrive at the conclusion using this fact.

Also, be careful with your own inferences from answer choices. They are always an IF! Don't slide into the IF dimension!
Take option D for example.
Quote:
(D)Differences among the habitats of lepidoptera species make it difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles.

Now if i make my own inference that weather is actually the reason. Then i might mark this option correct. BUT all it says is that it is difficult to asses the effects of weather.
Does mere difficulty of assessing the effects provide a positive reason to support that weather may be the cause of the cycles?

Hope this helps!
Let me know/tag me if u have any more doubts! :)

EDIT - YAAY! kudos from the legend GMATNinja himself!!!!! :dazed
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Can anyone explain the se one question ?

“ It can be inferred from the passage that the mortality caused by agents such as predatory birds or parasites was measured in an attempt to ????”

I thought it’s option C

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [2]
Given Kudos: 150
Schools: IIMA WBS '22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
LeenaSai wrote:
Can anyone explain the se one question ?

“ It can be inferred from the passage that the mortality caused by agents such as predatory birds or parasites was measured in an attempt to ????”

I thought it’s option C

Posted from my mobile device

LeenaSai

To answer the question lets first understand the passage.

Para 1- explains what is population cycle. Then para moves on to state that among various factors anyone factor must be dominant that causes population cycle.
Despite considerable research finding that one factor has not been very easy. Common approach of analysing parasite and predators has been unproductive and so are others.
If population cycle is not self regulating then there must be some factor intimately connected that causes the phenomenon.

In Para2- Nuclear polyhedrosis viruses are hypothesized to be that factor and reasons to believe the hypothesis are described.

Para3- Provides additional supporting reasons to believe the hypothesis.

Now, coming to the question at hand.

Option C is about "possible methods for controlling Lepidoptera population growth". This paraege is nowhere concerned or discusses about methods for controlling Lepidoptera population growth.

Option A is indeed the correct answer choice as predatory birds or parasites was measured in an attempt to find the dominant factor that regulates lepidoptera population cycles.

I hope this explanation helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
RC00120-05.The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) describe the development of new techniques that may help to determine the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera
(B) present evidence that refutes a particular theory about the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera
(C) present a hypothesis about the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera
(D) describe the fluctuating patterns of population cycles in Lepidoptera
(E) question the idea that a single driving force is behind population cycles in Lepidoptera

I got confused between B and C. Can someone explain why B is wrong.

GMATNinja
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
admission2020 wrote:
RC00120-05.The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) describe the development of new techniques that may help to determine the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera
(B) present evidence that refutes a particular theory about the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera
(C) present a hypothesis about the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera
(D) describe the fluctuating patterns of population cycles in Lepidoptera
(E) question the idea that a single driving force is behind population cycles in Lepidoptera

I got confused between B and C. Can someone explain why B is wrong.

GMATNinja

Passage Map -
    Para 1 – Lepidoptera's population cycles. Initial futile attempts at identifying the cause behind PopCycle.
    Para 2 – Hypothesis related to the cause behind population cycles.
    Para 3 – Evidence in support of the hypothesis has been described.

Answer choice analysis:
    (B) present evidence that REFUTES a particular theory about the driving force behind population cycles in Lepidoptera
      Excerpt from the passage -
        In short, the evidence implies that these insect populations, if not self-regulating, MAY at least be regulated by an agent MORE intimately connected with the insect THAN are predatory birds or parasites.

It MAY seem as if the author is rebuking the causality of predatory birds or parasites for the PopCycles.
      However, the author is stating that an agent MORE intimately connected with the insect THAN are predatory birds or parasites ---MAY be affecting---> the PopCycles.
      The author is NOT denying the involvement of predatory birds or parasites BUT RATHER asserting that a 3rd factor MORE intimately connected with the insect MAY be affecting the PopCycle.
      Moreover, the ENTIRE passage revolves around -
        an agent MORE intimately connected with the insect THAN are predatory birds or parasites.
      Thus, no theory what-so-ever has been REFUTED in the passage.

Be wary of such generic answer choices. Notch the gear down: Go slow - Compare the last 2 seemingly similar options.

(C) present a hypothesis about the driving force behind population cycles in Lepidoptera
      Sweet! Fits the bill.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf [#permalink]
I have a question here.
In Q1, the virus has not been mentioned till the highlighted lines. So can we just go ahead and eliminate any option that involves the virus because it possibly could not have affected the conclusion in any way?

Rephrasing, do CR-like questions in RC function a bit differently from actual CR questions in that we have to take into account the whole passage and not just the part of the passage till the highlighted lines?

Ideally, I disregard the information coming after the conclusion but I'm afraid I might just be following a wrong strategy.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma daagh carcass
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Top Contributor
Your strategy is flaw.

It is true that the virus is not mentioned until you initiate the second paragraph but the first paragraph contains crucial information not only to solve the first question but the others.

Also, it usually includes the main idea, and more often than not, we are talking Official RC passage because the NON-official material does not have the same consistency, the first paragraph has information which are related to other information that could be even at the end of the passage. We do not know this until we read the Rc in its entirety.

I.E, the GMAT RCs are conceived in a way you look at the entire story. E.G TOEFL passages are suitable, to some extent, to the strategy you have suggested.

Regard
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos