Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [36]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [9]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [1]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [3]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Although the price of gasoline can sometimes reach uncomfort [#permalink]
Kudos
Verbal section needs to be properly moderated because questions like these cause more confusion. Where are the moderators?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Mike,

The premise says that drivers with efficient car are at disadvantage. Because drivers with inefficient cars use more gas and hence get a higher share of subsidy.
If (B) said: Whether, on average, drivers of high-mileage vehicles spend more per month on gas than drivers of gas-inefficient vehicles, wouldnt it be a strong contender? Because now efficient cars are using more gas and hence do not lose on their subsidy share.

As for D, i am not convinced. Fuel inefficient has nothing to do with road or maintenance. Both vehicles will do same amount of wear and tear.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Expert Reply
tusharGupta1 wrote:
Verbal section needs to be properly moderated because questions like these cause more confusion. Where are the moderators?

For better or worse, any user can post any question from any reasonably legitimate GMAT prep source. Even if the question is of poor quality, we moderators are not really in a position to remove it --- we would only remove it if the question clearly, unambiguously, included content or a format not at all found on the test. You see, many moderators, such as me, work for individual companies. Now, if folks from Company A started removing questions posted by Company B, that could get into some really dicey legal issues. This question presumably wasn't posted directly by GMAT Hacks, but the folks at GMAT Hacks probably want their questions to stay posted, and eventually may come to defend or edit their question. I can state my opinion, but it's not my place to decide imperiously, "This question does not belong in the forum! Let this question be condemned to the outer darkness where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth!" Does all this make sense?

summer101 wrote:
Hi Mike,
The premise says that drivers with efficient car are at disadvantage. Because drivers with inefficient cars use more gas and hence get a higher share of subsidy.
If (B) said: Whether, on average, drivers of high-mileage vehicles spend more per month on gas than drivers of gas-inefficient vehicles, wouldnt it be a strong contender? Because now efficient cars are using more gas and hence do not lose on their subsidy share.

As for D, i am not convinced. Fuel inefficient has nothing to do with road or maintenance. Both vehicles will do same amount of wear and tear.

In Evaluate the Argument CR questions, be careful not to presume to know the answer to any of the questions they are proposing. For example (D) asks the question "Whether the benefits of road and highway maintenance accrue disproportionately to drivers of gas-inefficient vehicles" If the roads were unrepaired, would that harm all cars equally? Maybe. Would an unrepaired, unimproved road disproportionately damage some cars more than others? Maybe. Allow yourself to be open-minded with respect to the answers to such questions. The crucial issue is: would a "yes" vs. "no" answer to this be a game-changer in thinking about this argument? If the answer happens to be "yes", don't worry about the details of how or why it could be "yes" --- that's NOT what the question is asking. The overall question is asking --- would a "yes" vs. "no" answer to this particular answer choice make a big difference in how we evaluate the argument?
Does all this make sense?
Mike:-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Conclusion: Therefore, drivers of small, high-mileage vehicles are subsidizing the gas purchases of drivers of gas-inefficient vehicles.
Choice B:
"Whether, on average, drivers of high-mileage vehicles of drivers of gas-inefficient vehicles spend more per month on gas"
if yes: high-mileage vehicle+drivers spending more = the number of miles is more. So, using highway more - conclusion breaks
if No: the number of miles is less. So, using less highway.- conclusion holds true.

Choice D:
Whether the benefits of road and highway maintenance accrue disproportionately to drivers of gas-inefficient vehicles.
is it not out of scope? because this choice narrows the scope the road maintenance only?what if road maintenance is not frequent, once in a five year.

Kindly explain!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Expert Reply
vivmechster wrote:
Conclusion: Therefore, drivers of small, high-mileage vehicles are subsidizing the gas purchases of drivers of gas-inefficient vehicles.
Choice B:
"Whether, on average, drivers of high-mileage vehicles of drivers of gas-inefficient vehicles spend more per month on gas"
if yes: high-mileage vehicle+drivers spending more = the number of miles is more. So, using highway more - conclusion breaks
if No: the number of miles is less. So, using less highway.- conclusion holds true.

Choice D:
Whether the benefits of road and highway maintenance accrue disproportionately to drivers of gas-inefficient vehicles.
is it not out of scope? because this choice narrows the scope the road maintenance only?what if road maintenance is not frequent, once in a five year.

Kindly explain!

Dear vivmechster,
It's not clear to me whether you have read through the entire thread. I have already commented extensively on this question. if you have specific questions in response to something I have already written, I would be more than happy to answer them.
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2977 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
I can confirm this is a GMAT Hacks question of the day. It appeared on April 9, 2013. I've updated the source tag for future reference. Included below is the Official Explanation.

Answer: D This is an evidence question. The argument is that, because of the various benefits that go to oil companies and road maintenance, the "true price" of gas is supported by the government. This means that drivers of inefficient vehicles aren't paying their fair share. We're looking for a choice that has an outcome that would either strengthen or weaken the argument (that is, "evaluate the argument"). (A) This is irrelevant to the comparison between high- and low-mileage vehicles. (B) This is related to the topic at hand, but not very directly. The amount spent on gas depends not only on gas efficiency, but also on number of miles driven. Since we don't know whether high- or low-mileage vehicle drivers drive more miles, we can't evaluate the argument with this bit of information. (C) This is off-topic, though it does relate to things in the argument. It doesn't matter how oil companies make their money--the point is that, thanks to government support, the price of gas is lower than it would otherwise be. (D) This is correct. The argument is essentially claiming that the benefits of those "hidden costs" are to the advantage of inefficient vehicle drivers. If we knew whether some of those benefits really were accruing to certain types of drivers, we would be better able to evaluate the argument. (E) This is irrelevant--the argument is about how certain governmental policies affect the price of gas, not whether the listed mechanisms are the only ways it does so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Assuming your first interpretation of B is correct would make both B and D valid. In that case which one would be the correct answer? Or can we be sure that such situations will not arise in the GMAT?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tsatomic wrote:
Hi Mike,

Assuming your first interpretation of B is correct would make both B and D valid. In that case which one would be the correct answer? Or can we be sure that such situations will not arise in the GMAT?

Dear tsatomic,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, you can bet all your money, all your family's money, and all your friends' money that this situation will NEVER happen on the real GMAT, nor is it especially common with questions from any high quality GMAT prep source. On any well-written question, there is one unambiguously correct answer, and four unambiguously wrong answers. This question is particularly poor question. If my first interpretation of (B) is correct, that makes this a 100% flawed question, not worth studying, not at all representative of what you will see on the GMAT.

My friend, just because someone out there calls a question a GMAT CR practice question, do not be naive in assuming that the folks who wrote it necessarily adhere to the high standards of the GMAT. There are very good practice questions, and very not-good practice questions ---- all under the same label "GMAT practice questions" ---- and this particular question is one of the latter. There are many people out there who don't have much talent but are producing questions they call "GMAT practice questions." I can say nothing about this particular company overall, but this particular question is not good. Caveat emptor.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
A great Q, except for the wrongly worded option B.
B wasted a lot of time. :(
D was a direct answer though.

Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
this is an assumption question.
Key word in D is "benefit" and "disproportion". This matches what is described in the conclusion.
Whereas in B, more spending from a type of vehicle may not lead to the conclusion stated in the argument.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
I went wrong on this one as I had no clue what "accrue" means, if that word would have been "benefit" I would have chosen that option.

Guess I gotta brush up my vocab. :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Send PM
Between B and D, B cannot be right as even if it was true that drivers of low mpg cars spend less at the pump, they are still paying more per mile/more per use (wear and tear) of the highway thereby subsidizing the same amount of use by low mpg cars. This is also the case even if they spent more at the pump per month. So B doesn't give you any meaningful information.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts