Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [23]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32924 [6]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Because we have so deeply interiorized writing, we find it difficult t [#permalink]
dave13 wrote:
GmatWizard there is no such word as Hesiod mentioned in para 5

Yup its done, thanks for pointing it out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1025
Send PM
Re: Because we have so deeply interiorized writing, we find it difficult t [#permalink]
Kudos
can anobody justify the answers of question 3 and question 4?
ques -3 -why the answer is B and not C
ques -4 - why the answer is E and not B
:(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Can you please explain why in question 2 Option A is correct.

Passage clearly says (last line para 2): Thus the thought processes of functionally literate human beings do not grow out of simply natural powers but out of these powers as structured by the technology of writing.

Hence option B looks like a better contender.

On the other hand Option A is something that is said by Plato but not by author himself.

As said byplato:

Those who use writing will become forgetful, relying on external resource for what they lack in internal resources

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Took 9:06 min in total including 5:05 to read the passage!

Passage Map:

1) Objection
2) Cons of writing
3) Pros: Visual
4) Pros: Consciousness
5) Pros: Memory
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
in question 3rd I am confused between b and c. kindly help
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32924 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
dolph wrote:
in question 3rd I am confused between b and c. kindly help

Welcome to GMAT Club!

Please read my earlier response in the post below in the link.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/because-we-h ... l#p2246947

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
In the 1st question explanation it is said that it is an "An evaluation question. What is the purpose of mentioning Hesiod at the end of Para 5? The author describes Hesiod as ―intermediate between oral Homeric Greece and fully developed Greek literacy,‖ and immediately before says that ―the more sophisticated orally patterned thought is, the more likely it is likely to be marked by set expressions skillfully used. Paraphrase all this: Hesiod is an example of an oral culture that produced sophisticated thought in sophisticated patterns. (B)paraphrases this."

But if he is intermediate between oral Homeric Greece and fully developed Greek literacy then he should be an example of internediate of oral and fully developed greek literacy. Pls help anyone.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Justdoit2019 wrote:
In the 1st question explanation it is said that it is an "An evaluation question. What is the purpose of mentioning Hesiod at the end of Para 5? The author describes Hesiod as ―intermediate between oral Homeric Greece and fully developed Greek literacy,‖ and immediately before says that ―the more sophisticated orally patterned thought is, the more likely it is likely to be marked by set expressions skillfully used. Paraphrase all this: Hesiod is an example of an oral culture that produced sophisticated thought in sophisticated patterns. (B)paraphrases this."

But if he is intermediate between oral Homeric Greece and fully developed Greek literacy then he should be an example of internediate of oral and fully developed greek literacy. Pls help anyone.

Hi Justdoit2019,

Hesiod is an intermediate between oral Homeric Greece and fully developed Greek literacy, means that he was a product of culture midway between the oral and the written, and thus an example of how sophisticated thought is produced in sophisticated patterns. This implication is again drawn from his work: quasiphilosophic material in the formulaic verse forms.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Question 4, why the answer is E and not B?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
anishghosh wrote:

Hi anishghosh,

Please refer the OE for Question 4 here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/because-we-have-so-deeply-interiorized-writing-we-find-it-difficult-t-283254.html#p2246947

Let us know if you still have doubts.

Thanks.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [1]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Kudos
bm2201 wrote:
anishghosh wrote:

Hi anishghosh,

Please refer the OE for Question 4 here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/because-we-have-so-deeply-interiorized-writing-we-find-it-difficult-t-283254.html#p2246947

Let us know if you still have doubts.

Thanks.

not too sure if the main idea of the passage is how writing has influenced human consciousness. We have only made this link in the 4th paragraph. I respectfully disagree with OA.

The following line from the passage encapsulates the main purpose of the passage -
Technology, properly interiorized, does not degrade human life but enhances it.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts