Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:51 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
KaptainK wrote:
Interview on 1st at 1pm. Driving to Durham on Sunday and driving back on Monday.

Anybody know (from blogs, adcom interviews etc.,) what happens between interview and final decisions?

I would say a lot of "waiting" for the applicant. If you mean what AdComs do, I assume they go over every applicant data, information again, including the interview, and make a decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Wheee. Here we come, Duke :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.43
Send PM
Kudos
artsav wrote:
griffy618 wrote:
sivan7693 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Did anyone who applied for Early Action round and got wait-listed hear from the adcom yet? Is there any way the wait-listed candidates can set up a call with someone from the admissions committee to discuss about the application?

Regards,
Sivan

I was waitlisted last year and unfortunately, Fuqua has a strict policy regarding application discussions. They will not discuss any specific details regarding why you were waitlisted or what you can improve upon. They do however encourage you to send them any updates on your application. My suggestion would be to take a hard look at your application, try to identify any "weaker" areas, and address how you have improved upon those areas since the time you applied. Sorry I couldn't be more help but they really try to keep the process as a sort of self reflection period. Keep your head up though! Although I didn't get in off of the waitlist, I applied again this year and was accepted.

Hi,

Yes, you're right, they do not discuss specific aspects of every applicant's profile. Was there anything you did while on watilist, to try and change an identified weak aspect in your application, especially given that there's hardly a month between being waitlisted and the R1 decision deadline ?
Also when did you get a reject ? Did you apply in Early action as well ?

Regards,
Arthy

I sent an update letter in between each decision date to keep them abreast to any changes at my job, community service participation, etc... Additionally, I reached out to a few current students who were involved in areas that I was interested in. I then included summaries of those conversations in one of my update letters to show the adcom that I was continuing to do my due diligence and remained just as committed as ever.

I applied in Early Action and was rejected around the same time that classes officially started (8/4/14).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
forevertfc wrote:
I read the previous threads and decided to rent a car in Durham. Only cost me $50 for 2 days. I hear a cab ride from RDU is $50 one way so worth it to look into.

I will be in Durham on the 7th, interview on the 9th. Anyone else for those dates?

Sorry for the late response. Parking lots at Fuqua are seriously limited there (For those without a gate pass). I went there one day before the interview with my rental car and found a parking space for about 30 cars only. Unless you arrive there sometime before 8:30 am, I suggest you to take a cab.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
abdc99 wrote:
forevertfc wrote:
I read the previous threads and decided to rent a car in Durham. Only cost me $50 for 2 days. I hear a cab ride from RDU is $50 one way so worth it to look into.

I will be in Durham on the 7th, interview on the 9th. Anyone else for those dates?

Sorry for the late response. Parking lots at Fuqua are seriously limited there (For those without a gate pass). I went there one day before the interview with my rental car and found a parking space for about 30 cars only. Unless you arrive there sometime before 8:30 am, I suggest you to take a cab.
When I was at Fuqua, we blocked off parking spots for the interviewees right outside the front entrance. You can always check with the school for details. If you rent a car, you can also drive around the school/Durham to get a better feel for your next 2 years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi - I am a current student at Fuqua - feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.71
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
KaptainK wrote:
anybody know if the interviewer is selected based on prior industry/function?

I am interviewing on-campus.

Not really!
I am from your industry and my interviewer was from consulting/retail.
About 1/4 of the MBA students are in the Health Sector Management Program at Duke, probably you will be interviewing with someone who knows your expertise well.
Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
flewbye wrote:
abdc99 wrote:
Guys, is there generally any way of knowing if the official transcript/first deposit have been received? we're only 6 days away from EA deadline and I know nothing about what they have received by now, I am starting to panic. Any ideas?

I received an email from an admissions rep two days ago which was about a week after I mailed in the deposit and transcripts. I would email the following address. That is where my notification came from.

application-processing@fuqua.duke.edu

Just received the email today, whew! That was quite close from the deadline. Not sure though what got it to take 3 weeks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
shawnxl wrote:
KaptainK wrote:
anybody know if the interviewer is selected based on prior industry/function?

I am interviewing on-campus.

Not really!
I am from your industry and my interviewer was from consulting/retail.
About 1/4 of the MBA students are in the Health Sector Management Program at Duke, probably you will be interviewing with someone who knows your expertise well.
Good luck!

I am not sure if they pay attention to that (At Darden, interviewers are chosen with no notification of the interviewees' goals/prior experience). But it happened that my 2nd year interviewer at Fuqua was an engineer switching to consulting (exactly same as mine). Probably it was just a coincidence

Originally posted by abdc99 on 27 Nov 2014, 03:56.
Last edited by abdc99 on 27 Nov 2014, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
nowmbanow wrote:
anyone interview lately? anything that we should be aware of or def take advantage of while there?

For me, nothing really out of the ordinary. In addition to what Kaptint mentioned, I had basic WHYs in the beginning and then the interview drove to specific questions on my resume and my goals.

This may be a bit silly, but I just want to remind you about coming in at least business casual attire. I was planning to wear polo for the interview (First, because I am stupid. Second, because I knew nearly all students wear that in school) and a friend suggested I wear something a bit more formal. Thanks god he did! My interviewer came in a pretty formal look (She came in a suit). It would have looked really awkward if I didn't change my outfit. Also, it would be good if you bring a notepad with your questions written on it. It gives a good impression that you are serious about the visit.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
suhasdev wrote:
R1 applicants, how are the interviews going on. I had my interview today and it did not go well at all. I was quite unusual too. The interview reports by EA applicants tell that the interviewer tried to make them feel comfortable. Mine was not at all like that. May be it was a stress interview, but I am not sure. Anyone who had a similar experience? And does Fuqua take stress interviews?

I believe that my interview did not go well. How much does interview matter? Anyone?

Hi suhasdev,

Sorry to hear about your interview experience. The level or intensity of the interview will somehow depend on the questions/answers discussed during the interview and also the background of each applicant. So, you cannot basically generalize the experience on all interviewees. But if you still think it is quite unusual for an interview to go the way yours did, then you should drop an admission officer an email. I was told by one admission officer at Fuqua that they need to know if an applicant has received a bad interview experience/feedback from the interviewer. If I were you, I would only email them if it's noticeably unusual and it's seriously hurting my chances. Otherwise, it may be better for you to let it slide
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
atomic927 wrote:
I'm a re-applicant this year, which I attribute to a bad interview experience during last year's R2. I did not connect with my interviewer and it seemed like they were reading from a script and were unwilling to deviate from the script. It was very formal and the complete opposite to the experience I had during the open interview period this year. The questions were similar, but the interview was much more relaxed and dynamic this year.

As for attire, I wore a suit w/o a tie last year and was the only applicant out of roughly 20 who was dressed business casual. This year, I wore a tie and half the folks interviewing were dressed business casual. As long as you're at least business casual, I suggest wearing whatever puts you in the best mindset for the occasion. The interview is relaxed, but the anticipation leading up to it was certainly stressful! No need to increase the stress by worrying about your attire.

I wore suit w/o tie but there were two guys in business casual (shirt + khakis) and rest of the guys were all business formal. I don't know how to classify women's formal dresses :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Just had my interview. It was an off-campus interview here in Madrid and it was very friendly and conversational. The questions were the usual ones: "tell me your motivations", "why Duke?"... Overall a very good experience.

Now time to wait until it´s decision time!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
hugoness wrote:
KaptainK wrote:
I sent a thank you note to the interviewer and I did not get any response from him. I am worried. :?

Don´t overthink this. Even if you had had the worst interview ever, you could expect the interviewer to answer you back. Therefore, it is most likely he/she has not seen it or just forgotten about it.

I did 4 interviews, and the only person that responded was after the one I felt was the weakest. I wouldn't worry about whether they respond or not. They also are writing up their report and submitting it within 24 hours in most cases, so if they do it right after the interview they are already done by the time they see your email.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
KaptainK wrote:
I sent a thank you note to the interviewer and I did not get any response from him. I am worried. :?

I would not worry. It has nothing to do with whether you did good or bad. He probably hasn't seen your email or he received 10+ thank you emails and thought he didn't have to answer them all.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
DLEmba wrote:
I sent a thank you note in the mail. Outdated way of communication, I know. Does anyone know how thank you notes/emails play into the interview? Is there a box the interviewer checks in the final report, is it simply to leave a good final impression on the interviewer...etc?

I don't think there's any check box for that. If I conducted 10 or more interviews on one day, I would love to receive a thank you from any one after they leave. It would sure make me feel I did something nice that day. That's why I personally sent one to my interviewer. However, I think applicants generally do things like that coz they just want to leave something memorable (that's probably why you also should speak up when visiting a school)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Two more weeks to go for the D-day!
GMAT Club Bot