Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.43
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink]
sachin0804 wrote:
Hi

I had submitted my application and video essays by 24th September, but still have not got any replies from Kellogg, either rejection or interview waiver or interview request. Can somebody help me understand what this means ?

I too would assume you should have at least got a waiver; good that you contacted AdCom . Suggest looking at your Junk/ Spam folder too, if not done so already. This definitely means there would be some mail communication from Kellogg in the week post Thanksgiving. Let's hope for the best. And do let us know what do AdCom have to say.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Marathon runners and CEOs

First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

A Google search for “CEO Marathon study” reveals a slew of articles talking about how marathon running CEO’s lead successful companies.

The study has been quoted in numerous blogs and articles since it was published. Now, let’s take a closer look at the abstract of the study (the first line will do).

This study finds a positive relation between CEO fitness and firm value. For each of the years 2001 to 2011, we define CEOs of S&P 1500 companies as being fit if they finish a marathon. The literature suggests that fitness moderates stress and positively affects cognitive functions and performance. Accordingly, we find the strongest effects on firm value in subsamples where fitness is most important, i.e., for CEOs with high workload, above median age, and above median tenure. Fit CEOs are further associated with significantly higher abnormal announcement returns in M&A bids for large, public, and cross-border targets, concomitant with high stress. Our findings can explain the importance of CEO fitness in the managerial labor market and the trend among CEOs to stay fit.

This is a classic example of the identification error – mixing correlation with causality. Here is an example of the kind of issues that this study might have:

1. What if CEO fitness does indeed have a positive relation with firm value, but given the absence of other control variables, we don’t realize that it is actually healthy eating that really contributes to firm success? This is a great example of omitted variable bias.

2. There is just a positive relation between CEO fitness and firm value. What if it is high firm value that causes CEOs to get fit and not the other way around?

3. Are marathons the only way CEOs mitigate high stress environments? Could yoga or video games be an option?

I could go on.

I have been guilty of not being critical about the identification error multiple times. And, a discussion of this study in our statistics class was a nice wake up call to be more critical about results from studies. Studies that might be published in obscure publications might be obscure for a reason. And, we should worry when we see studies that just find a positive relation between two variables.

To illustrate, some researchers in the 1980s concluded that the key to success was to boost self esteem. So, an entire generation of parents and educators focused on boosting self-esteem of kids by giving prizes to everyone and ensuring they always felt encouraged. It was only in the late 90s when a panel of psychologists who reviewed these studies concluded that the researchers had done it wrong. A trait that causes success is self control / high willpower. Kids with high self control inevitably do well and have high self esteem. So, while self esteem might be correlated to success, it is self control that has a causal relationship. There are many such examples.

Pay attention. This stuff matters.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career, Student Life Tagged: 2Y, CEO, MBA Learnings, statistics, Two-Year MBA Program
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: My experience as the wife of a Kellogg student

When my husband was accepted to Kellogg’s One-Year program, I was thrilled. I was especially pleased that he would be going to a school that would not only provide him with a world class MBA, but would also afford me plenty of new and exciting opportunities.

One reason my husband and I chose Kellogg was because of the strong partner network – the Joint Ventures Club (JVs).

We arrived in Evanston in June, and the first few days were a blur. They were filled with exploring my new neighborhood and organizing my new home. But as my husband started classes, I soon found I did not have many meaningful things to do with my time. I realized that if I did not make an effort to get involved with the many opportunities Kellogg offers its students’ partners, it would be a very lonely and boring year.

I was introduced to the JV club at Day At Kellogg and made sure to join their Facebook page and Campus Group soon after.

The first JV event I went to was a small get together at a local bar, and it was the catalyst for everything else I have gotten involved with. The group was warm and welcoming, and were more than willing to dispense advice about the many opportunities available for a JV. I came away from this get-together reaffirmed that as long as I made an effort, there would be many opportunities for me at Kellogg.

I have met such interesting and diverse people through the JV club, and I have made wonderful friends. I also joined the JV Executive board as a 1Y Social chair, and over the past few months I have had the pleasure of helping to plan, organize and promote events for the JV community and the One-Year program.

But my involvement does not end there. There are so many more clubs and committees at Kellogg! JVs are welcome to join most, and even sometimes serve on committee boards.

I enjoyed volunteering back in Toronto, where I lived before moving to Evanston, and felt that the Kellogg Cares Day Executive Committee would be a great fit for me. I did wonder whether the other members would value my input, and whether I would I be able to meaningfully contribute to the club. The answer to both questions was a resounding yes! Being on the committee made me feel like a true member of the Kellogg community, not to mention it was a fantastic way to give back to a city and community that I have quickly come to love.

And lastly, one of the most fantastic opportunities offered to JVs is the ability to audit classes. During these first few months at Kellogg, I have audited two classes and I intend to audit more. I have learned so much and even discovered new areas of interest.

Because of my involvement in the Kellogg community, my days are full and enjoyable. My advice to you – fellow and future JVs – is to take advantage of what Kellogg has to offer, from clubs and committees, to classes.

Don’t miss out on YOUR experience at Kellogg.

Cara Gladstone is the wife of Zavie Berenbaum, who is currently in Kellogg’s Full-Time One-Year MBA Program. Prior to moving to Evanston, Cara worked as a teacher in Toronto. She and Zavie plan on returning to Toronto after graduation.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: 1Y, joint ventures, JV, Kellogg Cares Day, kellogg community, One-year, One-Year MBA Program, partner, partners, spouse, spouses
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 630 Q33 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Since it's now the week after US Thanksgiving - keeping my fingers crossed for some interview invites coming out soon!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
CommonMBApplicant wrote:
sachdix wrote:
shahibipul wrote:
What's happening with the Kellogg invite for those who received waivers? It is already quite late in the day. Safe to assume things - ding, that is?

I feel the same!! With just about 3 weeks left, our best bet can be a waitlist!! There clearly isn't enough time left for an interview!!

+ this week=thanksgiving week in US. Effectively only 2 weeks!! Has anyone from India received any interview invite after waiver? I haven't noticed anyone on this forum. :?

Hi CommonMBApplicant,

I received an invite to interview with an Alum. However, that did not work out since it was during Diwali.
Hence my interview did not happen. The co-ordinator had me schedule a Skype interview and that happened on the 18th of November.

With regard to people getting a call after the waiver, I've not seen that either.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Why it’s (often) better to be confident than smart

Originally posted on Fortune:

MPW Insider is one of several online communities where the biggest names in business answer timely career and leadership questions. Today’s answer for: Career-wise, is it more important to be smart or confident? is written by Sally Blount, Dean of Kellogg School of Management.

Being confident trumps being smart. Obviously there is a threshold of both required in a senior leader, but once you pass that threshold, in my mind confidence wins — hands down. That’s because the best leaders know what they know and what they don’t know. They are crystal clear on where their own gaps in knowledge are. Their job is to confidently build and lead a senior team that aggregates all the smarts their organization needs

As Phebe Novakovic, CEO of General Dynamics, recently said to students in my class on leadership at Kellogg, “Don’t let anybody take away your confidence.” Jim McNerney, CEO of Boeing…

View original 230 more words

Filed under: Uncategorized
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: My experience as the wife of a Kellogg student

When my husband was accepted to Kellogg’s One-Year program, I was thrilled. I was especially pleased that he would be going to a school that would not only provide him with a world class MBA, but would also afford me plenty of new and exciting opportunities.

One reason my husband and I chose Kellogg was because of the strong partner network – the Joint Ventures Club (JVs).

We arrived in Evanston in June, and the first few days were a blur. They were filled with exploring my new neighborhood and organizing my new home. But as my husband started classes, I soon found I did not have many meaningful things to do with my time. I realized that if I did not make an effort to get involved with the many opportunities Kellogg offers its students’ partners, it would be a very lonely and boring year.

I was introduced to the JV club at Day At Kellogg and made sure to join their Facebook page and Campus Group soon after.

The first JV event I went to was a small get together at a local bar, and it was the catalyst for everything else I have gotten involved with. The group was warm and welcoming, and were more than willing to dispense advice about the many opportunities available for a JV. I came away from this get-together reaffirmed that as long as I made an effort, there would be many opportunities for me at Kellogg.

I have met such interesting and diverse people through the JV club, and I have made wonderful friends. I also joined the JV Executive board as a 1Y Social chair, and over the past few months I have had the pleasure of helping to plan, organize and promote events for the JV community and the One-Year program.

But my involvement does not end there. There are so many more clubs and committees at Kellogg! JVs are welcome to join most, and even sometimes serve on committee boards.

I enjoyed volunteering back in Toronto, where I lived before moving to Evanston, and felt that the Kellogg Cares Day Executive Committee would be a great fit for me. I did wonder whether the other members would value my input, and whether I would I be able to meaningfully contribute to the club. The answer to both questions was a resounding yes! Being on the committee made me feel like a true member of the Kellogg community, not to mention it was a fantastic way to give back to a city and community that I have quickly come to love.

And lastly, one of the most fantastic opportunities offered to JVs is the ability to audit classes. During these first few months at Kellogg, I have audited two classes and I intend to audit more. I have learned so much and even discovered new areas of interest.

Because of my involvement in the Kellogg community, my days are full and enjoyable. My advice to you – fellow and future JVs – is to take advantage of what Kellogg has to offer, from clubs and committees, to classes.

Don’t miss out on YOUR experience at Kellogg.

Cara Gladstone is the wife of Zavie Berenbaum, who is currently in Kellogg’s Full-Time One-Year MBA Program. Prior to moving to Evanston, Cara worked as a teacher in Toronto. She and Zavie plan on returning to Toronto after graduation.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: 1Y, joint ventures, JV, Kellogg Cares Day, kellogg community, One-year, One-Year MBA Program, partner, partners, spouse, spouses
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Why it’s (often) better to be confident than smart

Originally posted on Fortune:

MPW Insider is one of several online communities where the biggest names in business answer timely career and leadership questions. Today’s answer for: Career-wise, is it more important to be smart or confident? is written by Sally Blount, Dean of Kellogg School of Management.

Being confident trumps being smart. Obviously there is a threshold of both required in a senior leader, but once you pass that threshold, in my mind confidence wins — hands down. That’s because the best leaders know what they know and what they don’t know. They are crystal clear on where their own gaps in knowledge are. Their job is to confidently build and lead a senior team that aggregates all the smarts their organization needs

As Phebe Novakovic, CEO of General Dynamics, recently said to students in my class on leadership at Kellogg, “Don’t let anybody take away your confidence.” Jim McNerney, CEO of Boeing…

View original 230 more words

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career Tagged: Dean Blount, Dean Sally Blount
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.43
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
^^Nothing yet. Hard to believe none of those waived gets an interview.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Digvijay01 wrote:
Decision Deadline--Dec 17..approaching with a speed of light--No news yet.. :cry: :cry:

Anyone who had their interviews waived got any news this week..?? :?:

None here. I believe we are heading towards dingsville! :(
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q33 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
razordude1717 wrote:
Digvijay01 wrote:
Decision Deadline--Dec 17..approaching with a speed of light--No news yet.. :cry: :cry:

Anyone who had their interviews waived got any news this week..?? :?:

None here. I believe we are heading towards dingsville! :(

Starting to agree with you. Although, given that we haven't heard from a single person on this forum that they've received an interview invite yet - I do hope that we'll see a wave of them sometime this week. If there's no word by Friday, then I'd say the best we can hope for a spot on the W/L.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: How Kellogg applicants are assessed – Part 1

When Kellogg admissions officers review an application, they evaluate potential students based on six categories. Here, Beth Tidmarsh, director of admissions for Kellogg’s full-time MBA programs, demystifies what happens once you submit your materials and helps you think about how to formulate the story that will help the admissions team learn more about you.

TODAY’S TOPIC: INTELLECTUAL ABILITY

Our goal is to be sure you can handle the rigor in the Kellogg classroom. Your undergraduate GPA, course selection and GMAT score help us assess your readiness. But we’re also invested in finding creative thinkers who can solve problems. Qualitative evidence of intellectual ability is going to come out in your essays, your interview and your recommendations. We truly take a holistic look at our applicants rather than relying only on a number.

Hard numbers like GPA and GMAT scores may seem like make-or-break factors, but one great test score doesn’t tell us nearly as much as seeing that you’ve taken challenging classes or broadened your knowledge base. And because each applicant is an individual, we recognize that someone with a liberal arts background may have different results than someone from an engineering background, but both could be wonderful candidates.

We look for applicants who are well-rounded, and who have demonstrated academic success. If your scores or grades seem a little lopsided, we dig deeper into your application to look for evidence that you’ve taken steps to develop those skills. That tells us if you’ve taken charge of balancing out your skill set. If you feel any of your grades or scores require further explanation or context, please feel free to include that information. Standardized test scores are also valid for five years, and we accept both the GMAT and the GRE for the One-Year, Two-Year, and MMM Programs. (JDMBA applicants can only submit a GMAT score.)

Read Beth Tidmarsh’s previous series on “Tips for applying to Kellogg”

Beth Tidmarsh ’03 is the director of admissions for full-time MBA programs at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. As a vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle, she led and executed tenant representation and corporate solutions work for companies such as Xerox, KPMG and Huron Consulting Group. Prior to attending Kellogg, Beth spent six years in consulting for Accenture based out of Chicago and Sydney.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: 1Y, 2Y, admissions, admissions tips, application, applications, Beth Tidmarsh, full-time MBA programs, JDMBA, Kellogg admissions officers, MMM, One-year, One-Year MBA Program, prospective students, Two-Year, Two-Year MBA Program
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
The "EMBA Sponsorship Letter" changed to "Sponsorship Letter" in the upload documents dropdown.

Not that this means anything. This was the only new news I have seen all week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
It's strange not knowing where we stand with Kellogg. The other schools I've applied to have either invited me to interview (and I feel like I have a pretty good chance at acceptance) or didn't invite me to interview (I was prepared for the Stanford ding and I'm expecting a ding from Berkeley at this point), but with Kellogg's essentially meaningless interview invite, I have absolutely no idea what my chances are of acceptance. I feel like I'm just waiting on a surprise decision in two weeks. I love that they try to interview everyone, but it is unnerving not having any indication of interest from them! Anyone else feeling uneasy about this?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
secondtimesthecharm wrote:
It's strange not knowing where we stand with Kellogg. The other schools I've applied to have either invited me to interview (and I feel like I have a pretty good chance at acceptance) or didn't invite me to interview (I was prepared for the Stanford ding and I'm expecting a ding from Berkeley at this point), but with Kellogg's essentially meaningless interview invite, I have absolutely no idea what my chances are of acceptance. I feel like I'm just waiting on a surprise decision in two weeks. I love that they try to interview everyone, but it is unnerving not having any indication of interest from them! Anyone else feeling uneasy about this?

Definitely! I feel like November went really fast, but these past two days feel like they are creeping by. I just want to know! They probably have made all the decisions anyways.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
bml1105 wrote:
secondtimesthecharm wrote:

Definitely! I feel like November went really fast, but these past two days feel like they are creeping by. I just want to know! They probably have made all the decisions anyways.

Same here! November was a blur and now that it's December I've grown impatient. Only two more weeks of waiting, though, except for Berkeley...
Retired Moderator
Send PM
I feel like if I just get one invite, the remaining process will go faster. I keep reminding myself that I only need one acceptance.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  29   30   31   32   33  ...  105   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts