GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 12:20
secondtimesthecharm wrote:
bml1105 wrote:
It's strange not knowing where we stand with Kellogg. The other schools I've applied to have either invited me to interview (and I feel like I have a pretty good chance at acceptance) or didn't invite me to interview (I was prepared for the Stanford ding and I'm expecting a ding from Berkeley at this point), but with Kellogg's essentially meaningless interview invite, I have absolutely no idea what my chances are of acceptance. I feel like I'm just waiting on a surprise decision in two weeks. I love that they try to interview everyone, but it is unnerving not having any indication of interest from them! Anyone else feeling uneasy about this?

Definitely! I feel like November went really fast, but these past two days feel like they are creeping by. I just want to know! They probably have made all the decisions anyways.

Same here! November was a blur and now that it's December I've grown impatient. Only two more weeks of waiting, though, except for Berkeley...

We could go back to speculating what the video essay submission date changes mean to pass the time!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 12:38
I had a date change 11/28/14.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 12:41
hubbl3 wrote:
bml1105 wrote:
Definitely! I feel like November went really fast, but these past two days feel like they are creeping by. I just want to know! They probably have made all the decisions anyways.

Same here! November was a blur and now that it's December I've grown impatient. Only two more weeks of waiting, though, except for Berkeley...

We could go back to speculating what the video essay submission date changes mean to pass the time!

Or freak out about the red highlights??
I keep trying not to think about it.... but everytime I stumble on a calendar I cant help but thinking "only xx days left", specially since December started...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q33 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.9
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 13:31
It's strange not knowing where we stand with Kellogg. The other schools I've applied to have either invited me to interview (and I feel like I have a pretty good chance at acceptance) or didn't invite me to interview (I was prepared for the Stanford ding and I'm expecting a ding from Berkeley at this point), but with Kellogg's essentially meaningless interview invite, I have absolutely no idea what my chances are of acceptance. I feel like I'm just waiting on a surprise decision in two weeks. I love that they try to interview everyone, but it is unnerving not having any indication of interest from them! Anyone else feeling uneasy about this?

Agreed. This limbo that folks who received waivers are in is tough, and seems like a real weakness in Kellogg's admission process. As an applicant, I would much prefer to have a hard interview decision deadline a la HBS, Ross vs. waiting until the day before acceptances are sent out to potentially hear something. Moreover, if there really haven't been any invites for the candidates with waivers, then I would have positioned my candidacy differently (gone to Evanston for an interview, listed my location in a larger metropolitan area).

Having said that, there is still time for us to hear something. But it's looking less and less likely.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 14:20
downeaster wrote:

Agreed. This limbo that folks who received waivers are in is tough, and seems like a real weakness in Kellogg's admission process. As an applicant, I would much prefer to have a hard interview decision deadline a la HBS, Ross vs. waiting until the day before acceptances are sent out to potentially hear something. Moreover, if there really haven't been any invites for the candidates with waivers, then I would have positioned my candidacy differently (gone to Evanston for an interview, listed my location in a larger metropolitan area).

Having said that, there is still time for us to hear something. But it's looking less and less likely.

Yeah. I wonder if those of you who have received waivers will end up on the waitlist and then invited to interview later. It would be nice if they would extend invites to the candidates they expect to accept before the decision deadline, but given that no one (that we know of) has received an invite post-waiver, that seems less and less likely.

That said, I personally believe that the waiver doesn't help or hurt you. If they let accessibility of candidates influence their admissions decisions, they're doing something wrong. It's unfortunate that they have been so disorganized with the waiver process, but I'd like to think that they will find a way to interview you if your application was strong enough for admission. I hope you hear from them sooner rather than later!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 16:58
For anyone who sent a thank you email or letter after your interview, did you receive any indication that it was received by the school or your interviewer?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V44
GPA: 2.8

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 17:00
I sent a letter, but didn't get any acknowledgement or response
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 17:02
I sent a thank you letter to my interviewer (an alumnus) and she responded back. However, I doubt that is a sign of anything good or bad, since there are such a large amount of interviewers

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

Current Student
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 17:46
Alumnus seems to be better at responding to "thank you" letters. Admins don't seem to respond at all?
Or did I just not receive one X_X
Manager
Manager
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 02:44
I did an off campus interview in the UK. Interviewed with an alum long time back in October. Sent a thank you note to my interviewer but did not get a response back. Also unlike some of the others, my video essay date has not changed since early November. Not reading too much but hopefully it's not a sign of things to come....
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.83
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 05:44
I sent a thank you email to my on campus interviewer and received a response. Trying not to read too much into it though as I'm sure it just has to do with your particular interviewer.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 06:07
I dont think the thank you note will have to do with anything. I had an on campus with a 2nd year student (I got a response back).

The VIDEO ESSAY date MIGHT.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 06:48
Ya the video essay definitely has me thinking, the date has changed for me several times, the latest on 11/30 and then on 12/1. Who knows what it actually means
Manager
Manager
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 07:40
jcm311 wrote:
Ya the video essay definitely has me thinking, the date has changed for me several times, the latest on 11/30 and then on 12/1. Who knows what it actually means

When did you complete your interview? Mine changed a couple of times after my interview but it hasn't changed since...
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 07:44
ZoSoKM wrote:
jcm311 wrote:

When did you complete your interview? Mine changed a couple of times after my interview but it hasn't changed since...

I interviewed on 11/15. The date changed to 11/17, then again to 11/30, and then 12/1.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 07:55
jcm311 wrote:
ZoSoKM wrote:
jcm311 wrote:

I interviewed on 11/15. The date changed to 11/17, then again to 11/30, and then 12/1.

Since we are playing that game again-- 10/30 to 11/24 to 12/02 !!
Super Vague theories anyone? :lol: :lol:
Manager
Manager
How Kellogg applicants are assessed – Part 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: How Kellogg applicants are assessed – Part 1
When Kellogg admissions officers review an application, they evaluate potential students based on six categories. Here, Beth Tidmarsh, director of admissions for Kellogg’s full-time MBA programs, demystifies what happens once you submit your materials and helps you think about how to formulate the story that will help the admissions team learn more about you.

TODAY’S TOPIC: INTELLECTUAL ABILITY

Our goal is to be sure you can handle the rigor in the Kellogg classroom. Your undergraduate GPA, course selection and GMAT score help us assess your readiness. But we’re also invested in finding creative thinkers who can solve problems. Qualitative evidence of intellectual ability is going to come out in your essays, your interview and your recommendations. We truly take a holistic look at our applicants rather than relying only on a number.

Hard numbers like GPA and GMAT scores may seem like make-or-break factors, but one great test score doesn’t tell us nearly as much as seeing that you’ve taken challenging classes or broadened your knowledge base. And because each applicant is an individual, we recognize that someone with a liberal arts background may have different results than someone from an engineering background, but both could be wonderful candidates.

We look for applicants who are well-rounded, and who have demonstrated academic success. If your scores or grades seem a little lopsided, we dig deeper into your application to look for evidence that you’ve taken steps to develop those skills. That tells us if you’ve taken charge of balancing out your skill set. If you feel any of your grades or scores require further explanation or context, please feel free to include that information. Standardized test scores are also valid for five years, and we accept both the GMAT and the GRE for the One-Year, Two-Year, and MMM Programs. (JDMBA applicants can only submit a GMAT score.)

Read Beth Tidmarsh’s previous series on “Tips for applying to Kellogg”

Beth Tidmarsh ’03 is the director of admissions for full-time MBA programs at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. As a vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle, she led and executed tenant representation and corporate solutions work for companies such as Xerox, KPMG and Huron Consulting Group. Prior to attending Kellogg, Beth spent six years in consulting for Accenture based out of Chicago and Sydney.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: 1Y, 2Y, admissions, admissions tips, application, applications, Beth Tidmarsh, full-time MBA programs, JDMBA, Kellogg admissions officers, MMM, One-year, One-Year MBA Program, prospective students, Two-Year, Two-Year MBA Program Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
How Kellogg applicants are assessed – Part 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: How Kellogg applicants are assessed – Part 2
When Kellogg admissions officers review an application, they evaluate potential students based on six categories. Here, Beth Tidmarsh, director of admissions for Kellogg’s full-time MBA programs, demystifies what happens once you submit your materials and helps you think about how to formulate the story that will help the admissions team learn more about you.

TODAY’S TOPIC: WORK EXPERIENCE

PREVIOUS TOPICS: Intellectual ability

One thing that makes the Kellogg experience so rich is the wide variety of backgrounds — both personal and professional — in our student body. We admit applicants from diverse fields, with varying years of experience. We also analyze each applicant within the context of his or her own career path, rather than against each other. Our admissions officers are looking to understand how you’ve progressed and why what you’ve done is significant. Are you progressing faster than others at your same level? Did you get promoted more quickly? Have you taken on additional responsibilities?

The quality of your professional experience, regardless of where you are in your career, is what will stand out. A great way to make your application pop is to help us understand what the standards are within your industry and your particular company or organization. Some workplaces or careers are very structured about how someone can advance through the ranks, while others provide opportunities for leadership in other, less formal ways. One tip we will share: Think about how you would explain your job to a 10-year-old or your grandmother. Jargon and acronyms will often create confusion, so avoid them whenever you can. This is a great place to show us how you can communicate ideas across fields and disciplines.

By including your resume, you’re giving us a quick overview that highlights a few significant achievements of your work experience. Within your application, you can specify more about your day-to-day responsibilities, the nitty-gritty of how you operate in the working world. Capitalize on that extra space and don’t just copy your resume into the input fields! You have many chances to tell more about your career, so seize every one and make each part count in its own way.

Read Beth Tidmarsh’s previous series on “Tips for applying to Kellogg”

Beth Tidmarsh ’03 is the director of admissions for full-time MBA programs at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. As a vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle, she led and executed tenant representation and corporate solutions work for companies such as Xerox, KPMG and Huron Consulting Group. Prior to attending Kellogg, Beth spent six years in consulting for Accenture based out of Chicago and Sydney.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: 1Y, 2Y, admissions, admissions tips, application, applications, Beth Tidmarsh, full-time MBA programs, JDMBA, Kellogg admissions officers, Kellogg experience, MMM, One-year, One-Year MBA Program, prospective students, Two-Year, Two-Year MBA Program, work experience Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 09:00
My doubt comes from why they would need to look at the video essay so many times. A couple times makes sense. But they are pretty short and the questions weren't that revealing. It seemed like more of a way to see if you can reasonably present yourself. Once they check the box, what's the point of continuing to watch.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 09:08
bml1105 wrote:
My doubt comes from why they would need to look at the video essay so many times. A couple times makes sense. But they are pretty short and the questions weren't that revealing. It seemed like more of a way to see if you can reasonably present yourself. Once they check the box, what's the point of continuing to watch.

I agree, Unless they want a bunch of people looking at it to make a final decision .Or its just that some videos are so fun that the same person does re -runs( for whatever reason lol)
I am not even sure what weight the V essay carries for those who have interviewed already.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 03 Dec 2014, 09:08

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  30   31   32   33   34  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap