GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Why Do YOU Need an MBA?

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Download Why MBA and learn how to determine your MBA goals and weave them into a compelling essay!

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 19:41
burningcole wrote:
Haven't watched my video essay since 11/6. I totally bombed the video essay. Per usual I waited until the last minute during a rough couple weeks at work. I didn't realize that there were no re-dos this year (as I had read the instructions over the summer prior to the new application). Needless to say I didn't like my answer... paused, said "****" on camera, and went to redo it. So basically I have half of a stupid answer and then I swear in the middle of my essay. I did interview extremely early so maybe they have already reviewed everything a million times.

Pretty sure my best case scenario is a WL which will eventually turn into a spot in the part-time program. Needless, to say I'm not exactly counting down the days during the next two weeks.

I'm with you. My internet connection cut out during the practice portion (2nd question), and when I got it back, it went straight to the real essays. I was shell shocked but did the best to compose myself for the first question. In the middle of the second question, my computer went haywire. I was trying to focus on the essay, but couldn't help checking my wifi bar every 10 seconds. Lo and behold, the day after this impressive performance my computer died for good. And to top it off, the Kellogg interview was my first and it went for over an hour!

Here's to the both of us.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Jan'16 (A)
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 19:46
Still no updates on people with waivers. Hope's on thin ice now.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.43
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 20:13
sachin0804 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the advice. I have sent them a mail regarding this.

bml1105 wrote:
pdhir wrote:

You should have got an interview waiver atleast, I'll recommend checking with Adcomm.

Agreed! Definitely follow up with them.

Did you receive any reply? If you could share, it will give some idea where the 'waived' guys stand.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 20:19
forevertfc wrote:
burningcole wrote:
Haven't watched my video essay since 11/6. I totally bombed the video essay. Per usual I waited until the last minute during a rough couple weeks at work. I didn't realize that there were no re-dos this year (as I had read the instructions over the summer prior to the new application). Needless to say I didn't like my answer... paused, said "****" on camera, and went to redo it. So basically I have half of a stupid answer and then I swear in the middle of my essay. I did interview extremely early so maybe they have already reviewed everything a million times.

Pretty sure my best case scenario is a WL which will eventually turn into a spot in the part-time program. Needless, to say I'm not exactly counting down the days during the next two weeks.

I'm with you. My internet connection cut out during the practice portion (2nd question), and when I got it back, it went straight to the real essays. I was shell shocked but did the best to compose myself for the first question. In the middle of the second question, my computer went haywire. I was trying to focus on the essay, but couldn't help checking my wifi bar every 10 seconds. Lo and behold, the day after this impressive performance my computer died for good. And to top it off, the Kellogg interview was my first and it went for over an hour!

Here's to the both of us.

My video must be kind of entertaining also... I was out of my hometown by the time of the deadline, and the best, quite place I could find to submit it was the rooftop terrace of where I was staying.... after lots of practice just trying to find the best light and the least noise, when I finally got to the real deal, a wave of wind came by and shove all of my hair into my face... so for the first 30 seconds or so, I had to try to come up with a good anwser whit my hair floating around "medusa-style" (at least that's how I picture it whenever I think about it)...

Btw, my video date just changed to today....
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q33 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 06:15
CommonMBApplicant wrote:
Still no updates on people with waivers. Hope's on thin ice now.

Nothing here either. It isn't over 'til it's over - but I'm really not that optimistic at this point.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 06:32
I would guess today would be the last best shot for wavier students to get an interview based off last year. Hoping for the best for you guys!!!
Manager
Manager
How Kellogg applicants are assessed – Part 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: How Kellogg applicants are assessed – Part 4
When Kellogg admissions officers review an application, they evaluate potential students based on six categories. Here, Beth Tidmarsh, director of admissions for Kellogg’s full-time MBA programs, demystifies what happens once you submit your materials and helps you think about how to formulate the story that will help the admissions team learn more about you.

TODAY’S TOPIC: LEADERSHIP

PREVIOUS TOPICS: Intellectual ability, Work experience, Professional goals

Many people pursue an MBA to gain experience and improve their management and leadership skills. The Kellogg admissions team is looking for both demonstrated leadership in the past and an applicant’s leadership potential. Given the scope and range of our community, this means many different things. Someone with a military background will present different accomplishments than someone with a few years as a junior analyst, or a teacher. What showcases your leadership is going to depend on the path you’ve had and the organizations that you’ve been in, and we take that into account.

A few things will be similar, though. We look for those who have taken up new responsibilities and opportunities in whatever way they can, however their career path has allowed. Maybe this means you’ve led an initiative within your company, or it could mean that you’ve secured promotions quickly, or that you’re deeply involved with a volunteer commitment. Your roles don’t have to be formal, just indicative of your drive. The better you can help us see how these activities fit in with your overall career narrative, the more clearly we can think about how you might fit in with the Kellogg community.

We also consider timeliness. The further along you are into your career, the more we’re going to expect some demonstrated benchmarks. If you’re seven or eight years out of college, consider presenting more recent examples. Likewise, if you’re early in your career, don’t worry that you’re competing with more experienced applicants. Our admissions team is just as concerned with where our students are going as where they’ve already been.

Read Beth Tidmarsh’s previous series on “Tips for applying to Kellogg”

Beth Tidmarsh ’03 is the director of admissions for full-time MBA programs at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. As a vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle, she led and executed tenant representation and corporate solutions work for companies such as Xerox, KPMG and Huron Consulting Group. Prior to attending Kellogg, Beth spent six years in consulting for Accenture based out of Chicago and Sydney.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: 1Y, 2Y, admissions, admissions tips, application, applications, Beth Tidmarsh, full-time MBA programs, JDMBA, Kellogg experience, leadership, MMM, One-year, One-Year MBA Program, prospective students, Two-Year, Two-Year MBA Program Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q33 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 10:25
monkeymadness wrote:
I would guess today would be the last best shot for wavier students to get an interview based off last year. Hoping for the best for you guys!!!

My video essay date just changed to today - the first change since 10/27. Could be nothing OR it could mean that they're just now getting around to looking the applications of candidates who received waivers. Keeping my fingers crossed it's the latter.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 10:32
downeaster wrote:
monkeymadness wrote:

My video essay date just changed to today - the first change since 10/27. Could be nothing OR it could mean that they're just now getting around to looking the applications of candidates who received waivers. Keeping my fingers crossed it's the latter.

Time to stoke the speculation fire!

I was interviewed on campus last month and my date just changed from 11/4 to 12/5.

I still think these changes are not random but probably when the application was accessed/reviewed by AdCom.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 11:12
More speculation!

I had my interview on Oct. 12th, and the last time it said the video essay was reviewed was on Oct. 31st.

Well it changed today to December 5th, and I'm pretty sure I bombed the video portion.

Not sure what this all means, but Godspeed to all of us.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 11:31
My video essay date has not changed since 10/13. Don't know about others but I am surely heading towards a DING
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 11:38
Well, it appears as though the admissions team is enjoying another Friday afternoon video-a-thon at our expense. I hope they're having fun. If they're not laughing at our videos they are certainly enjoying this thread right now!

My video essay date is officially 12/05 (previously it was 11/27).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Other (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 11:56
secondtimesthecharm wrote:
Well, it appears as though the admissions team is enjoying another Friday afternoon video-a-thon at our expense. I hope they're having fun. If they're not laughing at our videos they are certainly enjoying this thread right now!

My video essay date is officially 12/05 (previously it was 11/27).

Agreed. Mine also updated. I can picture some poor second year student being told to go watch all these videos again so that the date refreshes.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 13:37
Still stuck at 11/08 here...
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 13:42
Video essay date changed here too. From 6/11 to 5/12. I wont speculate too much on that. The D-day is not too far anyways. Fingers crossed.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 3.55
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 17:07
YumBeeA wrote:
Video essay date changed here too. From 6/11 to 5/12. I wont speculate too much on that. The D-day is not too far anyways. Fingers crossed.

Posted from my mobile device

I guess for all 5/12 date-changers -> Your FATE is SEALED now :gl .. Wait for the 17th. I guess the committee (or Director) came to a Final decision. :thumbup: :think: :thumbdown: They might have wanted a sight of us before the final tick in whichever box.
I must tell you it's not random. Obviously not random... If it's random, why we see so many 'common' date changes among us?
Yale also used the SAME app system this year and they too have video questions. Though I was interviewed at Yale (that means there was definitely a preliminary review of my app), there was no date change occured in that app system what so ever.
So IMO Kellogg's multi-stage (2 readers and Director /pre&post interview in some cases) app evaluation process might be causing this. But it's difficult to draw any conclusion on individual decision from this theory as our apps are reviewed mostly in random - as our interview dates and submission dates are scattered.
And Fridays must be Adcom meeting days :panel
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 22:36
Mine also got changed from 11/12 to 12/05.

hmmmm
Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Jan'16 (A)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 01:24
So for those whose interview got waived, it's a way of Kellogg saying-Its unofficially a ding.
Manager
Manager
How Kellogg applicants are assessed – Part 5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 07:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: How Kellogg applicants are assessed – Part 5
When Kellogg admissions officers review an application, they evaluate potential students based on six categories. Here, Beth Tidmarsh, director of admissions for Kellogg’s full-time MBA programs, demystifies what happens once you submit your materials and helps you think about how to formulate the story that will help the admissions team learn more about you.

TODAY’S TOPIC: IMPACT

PREVIOUS TOPICS: Intellectual ability, Work experience, Professional goals, Leadership

Our team understands how demanding work can be, but pursuing interests outside the office helps maintain a balanced and engaged life. Our admissions committee wants to understand what fulfills our applicants outside of work, and how they’ve made an impact within an organization or a community that matters to them. In the United States, we think of that as “extracurricular activity,” but it applies all over the globe.

What matters here is quality of experience over quantity; two years of involvement with one activity means a lot more than eight brief commitments in eight different places. We like to see our applicants involved with something they’re passionate about. If it fits in with your personal career narrative — say you volunteer with a literacy organization, and you want to pursue education policy after Kellogg — that’s great. But for plenty of applicants, a personal passion or commitment is not directly connected to the career goals at all.

We also recognize that some jobs may not leave a lot of room for involvement outside of work. There are opportunities for impact within the workplace, too. Did you lead recruiting efforts? Maybe you headed up a green building initiative. Having an impact on organizational culture or community is just as valid, important and interesting to us. Passion and engagement are universal features within the Kellogg community. There are a lot of ways to showcase that you’re the type of person who makes a difference.

Read Beth Tidmarsh’s previous series on “Tips for applying to Kellogg”

Beth Tidmarsh ’03 is the director of admissions for full-time MBA programs at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. As a vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle, she led and executed tenant representation and corporate solutions work for companies such as Xerox, KPMG and Huron Consulting Group. Prior to attending Kellogg, Beth spent six years in consulting for Accenture based out of Chicago and Sydney.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: 1Y, 2Y, admissions, admissions tips, application, applications, Beth Tidmarsh, full-time MBA programs, impact, JDMBA, Kellogg experience, MMM, One-year, One-Year MBA Program, prospective students, Two-Year, Two-Year MBA Program Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 14:12
So some of the 12/5 date changes were waiver students? That's great news!!! However don't you have to interview at somepoint officially to be admitted?
GMAT Club Bot
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 06 Dec 2014, 14:12

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  32   33   34   35   36  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap