Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.28
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: What Caused Capitalism?
What Caused Capitalism?:

“A successful economy … needs not only rules that determine how the economic game is played, it needs rules to change the rules if necessary in a way that is as costless as possible. In other words, it needs meta-institutions that change the institutions, and whose changes will be accepted even by those who stand to lose from these changes. Institutions did not change just because it was efficient for them to do so. They changed because key peoples’ ideas and beliefs that supported them changed.
”
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: Our Struggling Public Transportation System Is Failing America's Poor
Our Struggling Public Transportation System Is Failing America's Poor: Transportation and economic opportunity
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: Infrastructure productivity: How to save $1 trillion a year
Infrastructure productivity: How to save $1 trillion a year
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: I FINALLY GOT IN! (kind of)
I started this blog a little over a year ago. Since then, I have retaken the GMAT (5 Tips on Getting a 700+ on the GMAT),…
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: The Road Trip East and my Very Patient and Very Pregnant Wife
In 2012, my wife and I went to Morocco.  1 week soaking in the African rays at a beautiful resort in the Atlas Mountains.  We got massages, learned how to cook Tagine, and trekked through the mountains. That was an amazing vacation.  That was also the last time we went on a vacation that didn’t have anything to do with applying to b-school.

I knew coming out of undergrad at the IU Kelley School of Business that I was interested in a full-time MBA, but I didn’t get serious until 2013.  My wife and I planned an east coast road trip for April.  My wife would see a few new states and I would make it back for some much needed Maine lobster and New York Pizza; but most importantly, we would visit 7 potential business schools, learn what we wanted in a business school and move one step closer to making my Ivy-League aspirations a reality.

Our first stop was Philadelphia, maybe the most under-rated city in America (my opinion, of course).  After grabbing some cliché photos of us running up the steps of the art museum and pretending we were Rocky, we headed to Wharton.  First impressions were mixed.  Wharton sits on a nice campus that is very walkable and easy to navigate, but UPenn is an island.  The area surrounding the school does not share its appeal and is down-right scary in spots. Class visit, tour, and info session all went well.  I couldn’t help but to notice that despite having what I thought to be a very engaging guest speaker many students were checked-out during class.  Several students were even working on other things on their laptops!  $200K investment in an education and you are checking your emails?  Our tour guide, when asked, said that she had applied to LBS, HBS, and Wharton.  After being let down from HBS, she had chosen Wharton over LBS.  She spoke of her rejection from HBS in a disappointed tone.  Could this mean she had really wanted to go to HBS? (This was a similar feeling I got from a current student at a later visit to Kellogg.)  After going to a large undergraduate business school, I was very much looking for an adult environment for my MBA.  Wharton has graduate and undergraduate students right on top of one-another. Overall, I could definitely see myself at Wharton and in Philadelphia, but I wouldn’t call it fireworks.  Time to head to one of my favorite places:  New York, New York.

Columbia is a beautiful urban campus, too bad the business school is the exception.  Uris Hall looks  like nothing has been updated since the 60s or, even worse, the 70s. Not only is it ugly, but the lack of natural light or reasonable accommodations leads to a culture where people leave after classes and meetings.  This coupled with the New York location means that no one lives on or even near campus and Columbia GSB is essentially an Ivy-League commuter school.  New York I love you, but this isn’t going to work out.

Off to New Haven, CT to visit the school that is in-between Harvard and Columbia. When I picture and Ivy-league campus, I now picture Yale. I was blown away by the Gothic Architecture and ornate fixtures.  And what is that amazing glass building under-construction?  “Future home of the Yale School of Management” (now current home), that is what I am talking about!  New Haven leaves a little to be desired, but overall Yale offers so much through its world-class facilities and art and music departments that there is no doubt it would be a great place to spend two years.  The people we met at SOM were fantastic and went out of their way to make my pregnant wife comfortable. After meeting the students and learning about and witnessing SOM’s innovative integrated curriculum, this is no longer a short stop between New York and Boston, this is exactly what I am looking for!

Off to Boston and to HBS and MIT.  Cambridge, a city I hadn’t spent much time in, is very nice.  It is what I would consider an urban suburb, quaint like a college town but crowded and lively like a city. Overall, I find Boston to be a better city to visit than live in (let’s hope I am wrong about that!). Unfortunately, our time in Boston was impaired by the man-hunt after the Boston Marathon bombing. This prevented any serious visits to Sloan.  I was only mildly disappointed, since I was afraid Sloan was too focused on Finance and Entrepreneurship and lacked the general management focus I was looking for.  Harvard visit was good.  The classroom experience and the case method must be witnessed in person.  My class was Finance a.k.a. “Fin 2” (a course that I assumed would be a terrible fit for the case method).  I was blown away by how engaging and exciting the case method was even for a technical subject like Finance.  HBS’s campus is across the Charles River from Cambridge and the rest of the university, so it offers the grown up feel and residential learning environment that were missing from Wharton. After a coffee and a long chat with a colleague studying at HBS, it was time to head to New Hampshire.

The remoteness of Tuck didn’t scare me.  As an avid outdoorsman and mountain-lover, the prospect of living on the Appalachian Trail and 55 minutes from Killington was exciting.  Plus a career in business nearly guarantees a lifetime spent in or around cities, when is the next chance I would have to live in a place like Hanover, NH? No trip to Hanover is complete without breakfast a Lou’s, so we started the morning with French toast.  Tuck’s building feels very “Ivy”.  I was half-expecting to see a 60s-something professor in a tweed jacket with elbow patches puffing a pipe next to a fireplace.  People at Tuck are also great and admissions goes out of their way to ensure you have a great visit.  They know and appreciate that you went out of your way to go to Hanover (and rumor has it that they take notice when you are applying too).  Although the classroom seemed a bit large for such a small school, I really enjoyed the Operations course I sat in on. I could definitely see why Tuck has such a strong reputation for quality teaching. The on-campus dormitories are beautiful and convenient.  However, folks with families are left to seek housing at Sachem Village, a retro-fitted military housing complex a couple miles out of town.  Although proximity to other families is certainly a plus, I worried about missing out on events and relationship-building with single classmates.

11 days and 1300 miles before leaving Hanover for Cornell certainly contributed to our tired state and possibly our opinion of Johnson. Cornell feels as remote as Tuck, but doesn’t (in my opinion) offer the same quality of outdoor recreation and small town feel.  After sitting in on a course with students and a professor I considered to be slightly less impressive than what I had seen elsewhere, I was told I had witnessed “one of the best courses at Johnson.” I guess that pretty much sealed the deal, Cornell was off the list.

2,300 miles and almost two weeks later we were back in Indy.  We had scratched two schools from the list (Cornell and Columbia), found three schools that we loved (Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth), and one school that then seemed like either the best-fit school that I wouldn’t apply to or the worst-fit school that I would apply to (Wharton) (too early to tell).  Overall a very informative, but exhausting trip and I wasn’t even pregnant!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: It’s a very, very good time to be graduating with an MBA

Originally posted on Quartz:

Master’s in business degree graduates, fresh off their commencement ceremonies, can feel pretty good this year. A survey of corporate recruiters by the organization that creates and administers the GMAT business school admission test found that more companies plan to hire MBAs than at any point in the past decade, and they’re going to pay them more than ever.

Recruiters from 84% of the companies surveyed around the world said they planned to hire newly minted or recent graduates of MBA programs this year, a big jump after several years where the number hovered in the mid to low 70% range. Of the companies who plan to hire new MBAs, 59% intend to hire more new graduates than last year:

The US is the hottest job market for graduates, but a majority and growing number of companies in every region surveyed plan to hire MBAs:

Salary levels also reached new heights, as more recruiters in the US…

View original 17 more words

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: The Power of the Cold Shower
“I hate this.” I got up at 5AM yesterday. I stumbled into my bathroom and stared at my shower. “This is going to be terrible.” I turned…
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: How I got a 710 on my first try (updated)
This is the guide I wrote after I got a 710 the first time. The GMAT journey is a hard one; but I believe I did…
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: On a lighter note…
I’m currently sitting in the saloon getting my hair done. Which means I’ve got some free time even if it is just a few hours. Anyway, a few things just occurred to me: I’ll need a new saloon I’m hungry – I’m gonna miss Nigerian food. Things have gotten under control at work so I […]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: The word – part 1: the bad…
With the current application season winding down and attention turning to R1 applications due later this year, I’ve been contacted by a number of aspiring MBA students to discuss strategy and whether to even bother applying given the tough competition out there. While I often don’t feel qualified to give advice, I’m always happy to […]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: Getting Ready for B-School this Fall? Check this out now!!!
Hello everyone! Normally I blog for fellow applicants who are in the process of applying to a top business school. However, many readers and fellow bloggers…
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: The word – part 2: the good…
With the current application season winding down and attention turning to R1 applications due later this year, I’ve been contacted by a number of aspiring MBA students to discuss strategy and whether to even bother applying given the tough competition out there. While I often don’t feel qualified to give advice, I’m always happy to […]
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
GrantMeAdmission wrote:
FROM Grant Me Admission: I FINALLY GOT IN! (kind of)
I started this blog a little over a year ago. Since then, I have retaken the GMAT (5 Tips on Getting a 700+ on the GMAT),…

Do you mind me asking why you're still trying to retake the GMAT? With a 710 and a top 15 acceptance, don't you have everything you need?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: The word – part 3: …and the ugly
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Send PM