Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [44]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [5]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [6]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
Kudos
FROM Scott Duncan: I got into HBS

After two years, three attempts at the GMAT, and five rejection letters, I have been admitted at HBS.

I’m speechless…

All I can say is thank you to all who have helped me through this process – friends, family, coworkers, mentors, and of course my readers.

Thanks.

The post I got into HBS appeared first on Scott Duncan.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [4]
Given Kudos: 93
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA For Tech: Chicago Booth: accepted!
Well, guess what? Yep, I was waiting for CST to show 9:00 am to start worrying, but I got so much work to do that I lost track of time and then I got a call on my mobile from a phone number starting with 1 (international code of USA): it was so amazing! I was waiting for the nice lady on the other end of the phone to tell me she is from Chicago Booth and when she did – I got some shot of dopamine in my brain.

So, she told me that she was a part of team who reviewed my application, gave me some feedback (My application contained a lot of personal details, so her feedback was very important for me) and provided me with some details on admit weekend. To be honest I wasn’t quite sure on how to reply, because I was overwhelmed – but I thanked her and told her of my experiences with alums and how great I feel and I also praised my interviewer, because she was amazing and deserved that. On top of that I got a scholarship!

Booth is a school that I had a lot of connection with, contrary to popular opinion, people from there were one of the most engaged, interesting and fun, alums were super nice and eager to help. I really believe that Booth and I will make a great match in terms of fit and my career goals.

Well, what a great day! Good luck to everyone! And if you will not receive a call today – don’t be sad, use gmatclub to get some feedback, people there are happy to help. MBA is a great tool to achieve certain goals, but it is one among many others, keep that in mind and stay positive!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM My Journey to Business School: Update from Indian School of Business
The results are in – and I’M IN.

This officially makes it 4/4. I got into all the schools I applied to. It’s a wonderful feeling! :)

Interview Debrief:

I’ve heard a lot of ISB interview horror stories, and I expected an interview that was a complete departure from my US bschool interviews. But it was a surprisingly candid and chilled out interview. I had 2 interviewers – one alum and an adcom and it was a Skype interview. I was asked fairly standard questions most of which centered around what I’d written in my resume. I think the interview would be very stressful indeed for people who exaggerate their achievements as they specifically asked how I arrived at the numbers I listed (in terms of revenue profits) and exactly how I achieved particular things that I’d listed.

I had my interview at 11.15AM. I got an admit email at 7PM. I must say, that’s quite the turnaround time!

Thoughts:

While I know that Kellogg and UCLA are leaps and bounds ahead of ISB in terms of rankings as well as the MBA experience, I can’t help but give it a serious thought. I intend to return to India post-MBA (in a few years) to pursue my long term goal of entrepreneurship, and ISB has a great brand name and network in India. It would also be much easier on me and my partner if I pursue a degree in India (my spouse does not intend to move to the US with me while I study) and since ISB is a 1Y program, it means that I’ll be returning to the workforce sooner. The only thing I’m not excited about when it comes to ISB is the dearth of international opportunities post-MBA and the experience of studying abroad that I’ve always craved.

While a lot of people were surprised by my decision to even attend the last-minute interview, I believe I would be remiss to dismiss the many merits of the school and not consider the above factors while making a decision about my future.

I’ll make a final decision by tomorrow and share it with y’all. Until then, Ciao! :)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [12]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
FROM My Journey to Business School: US Visa Application and Visa Interview Process for Indian Nationals
Type of Visa: You will be applying for a Non-Immigrant F-1 (Student) US Visa.

Applying for a Visa:

Create an account on: https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=India

Complete the DS-160 Form which is an online visa application form. It will be available on the above website once you register. It is a long and comprehensive form, so be prepared to set aside an hour to fill it out. Be sure to read the Guidelines for Completing the DS-160 Form carefully before starting work on the form. Once the form is submitted, you cannot make any changes to it. So double-check the form and all the details before you hit Submit.

You will need your DS-160 number to schedule your VAC & Visa interview.

Scheduling the VAC and Visa Interview:

You will first have to schedule an appointment at a Visa Application Center (VAC) prior to your visa interview. Biometric information including fingerprints and digital photographs will be collected at the VAC. You must schedule the VAC appointment at least one day before the visa interview appointment date.

What to carry to the VAC –

• A printout of the appointment confirmation form
  • DS-160 Confirmation form
  • Passport
DO NOT carry electronics of any kind, mobile phones or any other documents. Electronics are not allowed inside the center and any other documents apart from what I’ve mentioned above are absolutely unnecessary. Don’t even take your university admit letter.

Reach the VAC center 30mins before your appointment time. It is useless reaching there any earlier than that as you will not be allowed in. Dress Casual.

Visa Interview:

I was very stressed before the interview, but in retrospect there was no reason to be! I scheduled my visa interview in Hyderabad, India. There’s a lot of waiting time involved – from the minute I reached the visa center to the moment I got out, the full process took about 2 hours. The visa interview lasted exactly 2 minutes. I was asked:

Why do you want to go to the USA?

May I see your i20?

What is this graduate program you’re pursuing?

[My i20 had “Engineering, Other” as the Graduate program listed]

Did you write the GMAT or GRE? How much did you score on the GMAT?

[He was mightily impressed by my GMAT score, and his tone was considerably warmer after hearing it. He bantered a bit about schools in the US and GMAT scores]

What other schools did you apply to? Did you get in anywhere else?

How do you plan to pay for this extremely expensive program? :P

And that was it. My interviewer did not look at any of the papers that I took along. I even asked him to look at the financials that were in front of him to verify my claims of being able to pay for school, but he emphasized his dislike for paperwork and mentioned he would take me at my word. However this does not mean you should be lax about taking all the required paperwork to your visa interview.

The documents you will need are:

• Printout of Visa Appointment letter
  • A stamped DS-160 form (the stamp will be placed after your VAC appointment)
  • i20 issued by your school
  • Payment confirmation of SEVIS fee
  • University admission letter
  • Proof of funds showing you have made arrangements to fund your degree (this could be a loan/financial aid approval letter from the university, proof of a scholarship offer, personal bank account statements or a bank letter, sponsor statement of support or any combination of these)
Optional:

• Official GMAT score printout
  • College transcripts and Degree Certificate
  • Documents confirming work experience (Experience Letters or Payslips)
You will not know for sure if your visa is approved immediately after the interview. A student visa typically takes 2 days to get issued.

You can check your visa status by entering your DS-160 number and interview location in this page: https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=WwjqOlbeRYzCYubaSQI+RA==

Once your visa is approved and your passport is stamped, you will get an email from the US Embassy stating that your passport is ready to be picked up.

You can track your passport here – https://ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-passporttrack.asp

Good luck with your visa interviews and let me know if you have any questions about the process in the comments below!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [5]
Given Kudos: 93
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
FROM MBA For Tech: Duke Fuqua Interview and Dartmouth Tuck Invite
Got an invite to Tuck (November round)! Feels so great! Really love the school and the people there. I spoke with quite a few alums, they were really among the most responsive ones. I especially, appreciated the honesty with which they answered my questions and their patience, as I am someone who gets to the heart of things and don’t like to have unadressed concerns. I will write a separate post about my experience with alums/current students within the research stage of application.

But now, a few words on my Duke interview: it was a few weeks ago, but I was quite busy, so my post is a bit late.

I was paired with an alum, who workes in MBB, we met in a coffee house next to his office, actually the same chain of cafés, where I met with Booth alumna, seems to be popular among MBB’s. But unlike my interview with Booth alumna,  this interview was more formal, he had a list of questions in mind and our interview was more like a Q&A session than a conversation, thought quite relaxed; what I didn’l like about this is that sometimes he would ask about topics that we discussed before, so we discussed topic A, then B, then C, then A, then C etc. a bit haphazard.

The questions were as follows:

• Why MBA/Why Duke, asked me to elaborate why I can’t reach the goals mentioned without MBA and how MBA will help to adress these problems.
  • Name three qualities that your collegues would have used to describe you.
  • Tell me a leadership story
  • Most recent success story
  • … (some other standard questions I can’t remember)
  • Name 3 strenghts and weaknesses, elaborate.
The Q&A part took around an hour and then we spent another 15-20 minutes discussing his experience at the school and I asked him some questions to better understand Fuqua. This conversation made me like the alumnus, he was quite open and answered all of my questions.

So, now the wait!

Tagged: Fuqua, Interivew, invites, Tuck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: Optimal MBA Application Number
Optimal MBA Application Number

Many business school applicants wonder how many MBA applications they should submit? In this article, I will discuss the optimal MBA application number based on real data. Deciding on your MBA application number is challenging because the more schools you apply to, the less time you have to spend on each application. On the other hand, you don’t want to put all of your eggs into one or two baskets. The data suggests that the ideal number of MBA applications is 5 to 7. For more information, check out this article on how to build your portfolio of MBA applications co-authored by Lawrence Linker and I.

Distribution of Number of MBA Applications

For this analysis, I used MBA application data from GMAT Club forums, which is self reported admissions data. By matching usernames across different school applications, I was able to get the number of MBA applications submitted. It seems strange to see that a third of applicants only applied to one school. I would have expected more applicants to apply to 5 or more schools. Even if we assume the source is slightly biased and ignore those who apply to only one school, two thirds of the remaining applicants still apply to only 4 or fewer schools.

MBA Acceptance Rate by MBA Application Number

This graph is possibly the most important piece of information for applicants who are considering applying to a lot of schools. It shows that average acceptance rate per application is relatively flat if you apply to seven or fewer MBA programs, at around 24%. However, if you apply to more than seven schools then acceptance rate plummets to lower than 15%. Those few individuals who apply to 10 or more schools only have a meager 6% acceptance rate. Perhaps there are alternative explanation as to why these acceptance rates drop so much, such as GMAT or GPA of the applicants.

GMAT and GPA by Number of MBA Applications

Despite having the highest average GMAT and GPA, applicants who apply to 8 schools have an acceptance rate of only 13%. This supports the idea that if you apply to many schools then you don’t have as much time to commit to each application, so quality decreases. Those who apply to 9 or 10+ schools tend to have lower GPAs while those who apply to 1 school tend to have lower GMATs. People who apply to 6 to 8 schools on average have the highest combined scores.

Also applicants that don’t get in for round 1 often apply during round 2 or 3. I found that 63% of applicants who applied to 2 to 5 schools applied to all schools in the same round while only 25% of applicants who applied to 6+ schools applied to all schools in the same round. Surprisingly there wasn’t much of a difference in average acceptance rate for those who applied to all schools in one round vs multiple rounds except for 8+. When applicants applied to 8 or more schools in one round, the acceptance rate was 50% lower than applicants who applied to 8 or more schools but did it in multiple rounds. So if you plan to apply to many schools, spread it out over a few rounds.

Accepted to at Least One School by MBA Application Number

The next question is how likely is an applicant to get into at least on MBA program? If you want at least a 50% chance of being admitted, you should apply to 4 or more schools. The peak is 65% for those applying to 7 schools. If acceptances were completely random with a 25% acceptance rate and 7 applications, we would expect 87% to get into at least one school. This gap suggests that the applicants who are accepted tend to get into many schools while 35% are rejected by everyone. Similarly, for those applying to 5 schools, we expect 75% to get at least one acceptance but only 58% are admitted. I expect that this is because there is a major flaw in their application and they repeat it with every school. This is one of the reasons I suggest applicants use an admission consultant for at least one school. Catch the mistake early with the first school and you will be in much better shape.

Average Number of MBA Acceptances

The graph above shows how many schools applicants got into, if they were accepted to at least one school. Unsurprisingly, those who applied to many schools were more likely to have a choice.

MBA Rank Comparison

The final graph shows the average school rank of the schools applied to verses the school to which they were admitted. I excluded applicants who did not get into at least one school. It is not shocking that applicants tended to get into lower ranked schools than the average rank of their applications. The big takeaway here is that the gap is much smaller for applicants that submitted 5 or fewer applications. For applicants with 2 to 5 applications, the average school accepted is 2 ranks worse than the average application. For applicants with 6+ applications, the average school accepted is 3.2 ranks worse than the average application. So applying to many schools degrades your chance of being accepted to the most elite MBA programs.

In conclusion, there are many considerations when deciding how many MBA applications to submit. Most of the data suggests that an applicant should apply to 5 to 7 schools to maximize their chance of getting into at least one school. If you want to raise your chance of being accepted to at least one MBA program above the 65% figure for 7 applications, I recommend you hire a consultant to help you craft your essays and avoid major mistakes rather than just submitting more applications.

MBA Data Guru - Business school admissions data and analysis
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
FROM DLo's BSchool Debrief: b-school debrief: costs of the application process
So Much $$$

Business school costs a lot. This is obvious, whether you are a full-ride scholarship student or are paying fully out-of-pocket. Aside from the (constantly rising) tuition costs, you have the cost of living, external costs of the program, the utility cost for losing 2 years of income, and before everything, the cost of applying. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of applying may seem like a small, tiny teardrop in the bucket of the overall financial toll of an MBA. But for those who are still prospecting schools, still working on their GMAT, or even considering if they want to get an MBA, the costs of each part of the application process can be a large concern.

Trying to be Cheap

As I laid out before, my approach to the application process was to spend as minimally as possible. This wasn’t a reflection of my indecision on the MBA, but more that I have always had an internal conflict on spending money to get ahead when applying for things – I’m very stubborn about it, and always opted to self-study for the SATs and GREs instead of plunking down thousands for classes. The results, I will say, were mixed. I took the SATs 4 times before I got a great score, and the GRE was just enough to get me into grad school for my MS.  For b-school, the application process was far more grueling, and it made me reconsider this mantra. If you read around or ask around these days, there are two main sources of application support people willingly drop wads of cash into for assistance and advantage: GMAT classes and, more recently, admissions consultants.

GMAT Classes

I touched on the GMAT course issue a bit in the previous posts on the GMAT, but I’ll lay out how it went for me. I started studying half-heartedly with a set of Manhattan GMAT books, and found that I really enjoyed their approach. After my first diagnostics, I was dismayed at just how bad I was, not really taking into consideration the specialized approach you need to learn to master the GMAT. I saw an offer to attend the first session of a Manhattan in-person course, so I checked it out. After going through the session and seeing how structured they were in teaching + drilling their strategies, I definitely considered the course. But at $1,600 or so, I was very hesitant. I ended up not going with it and believing I could conquer it through self-study as usual.

Again as I detailed in the GMAT posts, I had a great deal of luck in that a friend who had taken the course ended up with a full year extra of access to their online materials – including video lectures. I jumped on it and this definitely helped in my study process, as well as the syllabus they gave to lay out a study strategy for their 9 books. The online-only course was around $900 or so at the time, so in all honesty I might have given that more consideration if I didn’t have free access, and had known how useful it was. So for your consideration, if you’re really struggling or even moderately struggling with the GMAT, I do believe some assistance helps, but again from a budgetary perspective I found myself very much not wanting to drop so much money on a course. Keep in mind as well that each run-through of the test is $250, so if you don’t want to take my multiple-effort approach and keep spending more on re-takes, perhaps a course may work for you as well.

Admissions Consultants

Now we come to the truly divergent path of the application process – whether or not use an admissions consultant.

A friend who had been applying to Top 10 schools had told me a few years before about admissions consultants – and I was surprised at the concept. You pay people thousands of dollars to tell you how to apply to school? Doesn’t that dilute the purpose of the application? But she was aiming for Stanford – her dream school – and was thus prepared to spare no expense. As the pressure and stress mounted on me 5-6 months before it was my turn to submit my apps, I took a good hard look at just what a consultant provided and if it was worth my consideration. Nothing about my budgetary mindfulness changed, but I knew for sure I was going to do this b-school thing, and the more real the applications got, the more uncertain it felt my future was. What if I didn’t get in to where I wanted – or worse, came out completely empty handed? I looked at the price points of some of these services – Admissionado, MBA Prep School, etc. Prices ranged from $2,500 – 5,000 per school. This was insane to me, to spend so much money to re-tool a story that I had to build myself. It appeared to just be a magic wand that people were looking for, that would give them the golden ticket to the b-school of their choice.

I dove in and did my research on what exactly I could get out of a consultant, and the answers varied greatly. Some promised to get you into a Top 10 school; some were far more pragmatic and their claims were simply to build the best story you can by helping you mine yourself, and to write more pointedly. I got a quote from one of the larger consultancies for my application list – Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Wharton, UCLA, Haas and Cornell. They offered me help on one, Columbia, for a single-school fee of $4000 with additional schools at $2000 a pop.

Holy. Crap. I saw those numbers and ran away. The biggest takeaway I got from consultant research was that nothing was guaranteed (of course), and there were no sure things. If my profile was weak, the “best” consultants in the world couldn’t help me. I felt I had a strong profile, and was confident in my writing abilities, so I decided to go it on my own, with some budget help.

Budget Admissions Tools

There are far cheaper options to help you through the admissions process and submitting a strong application without dropping thousands on a consultant. I searched around for some, and found some by chance, but eventually settled on two resources which I came to really love. (Note: I am neither affiliated with nor am I working in conjunction with either of these two. These are the two resources I personally came to love during my application process.)

Touch MBA Podcasts – This was my first discovery. I had a long commute to work, and started listening to GMAT podcasts; once that nonsense was over, I checked out admissions podcasts and stumbled upon Darren Joe’s podcasts. He touches on a variety of topics, from interviews and Q&As with admissions officers at a huge list of schools (including many in the Top 10), as well as general admissions advice on writing, story building, defining your goals, success stories, and more. These were in convenient less-than-an-hour-long slices that I could listen to and repeat if I wanted to absorb his strategies better. He also provides a free profile evaluation and school selection advice, which helped me to discover Cornell Tech’s MBA, a program I had previously not known of.

Touch MBA’s topics and overall enthusiastic approach to his podcasts kept me calm and steady whenever I was thinking about the daunting task of applying. Being a previous admissions officer at a top MBA program in Asia, I felt his perspective was sharp, but he also always had a genuine feel to his advice – he really just wanted to help people out. When I first started listening, everything was a free podcast; as he gained a larger following, he has started to create purchasable resources including more in-depth videos and tools that I didn’t personally use, but are affordable as well.

Essay Snark – I absolutely love, love, LOVE this site. These guys (one person? I can’t tell) are the opposite of Touch MBA in personality – no sugar coating, blunt advice, and unapologetic topics. While still maintaining the same goal of helping you guide yourself through the b-school application, they take a tough-love approach. This is highlighted in the most part by their “blahg,” which is a daily-updated blog covering topics that are pertinent to the current position of the admissions cycle, along with countdowns and advice for each school in the Top 15. The blahg is $9.99 per month to read, which is well worth it in my opinion.

Essay Snark offers more conventional consultant packages – still a few grand – for those that opt for it, but they also provide a plethora of resources and a la carte feedback options. I used their individual strategy guides and a few other products and only spent about $250 total on help from here – WELL worth it from my perspective. I will detail Essay Snark’s guides and how I used them in future blog posts, but the three products I did pay for through them were 15 weeks of Blahg access + Weekly Countdown e-mails for $35, the strategy guide 6-pack for $99, and the customized recommender’s instructions sets for $99. I kept a Blahg subscription for a few months after apps were turned in because they were still compelling reads.

These two resources made a true difference in my application quality, and I was able to do so by only spending a few hundred dollars – about the same cost as one run at the GMAT. While I set out initially thinking I’d need no external service help, I felt that there were just enough for me. EXCEPT!:

Friends and Peers – This is the unspoken budget application tool. When it comes to your essays, you can do without the pricey admissions consultants by simply consulting a large range of your friends – ones who know how to write, ones who’ve gone to b-school, ones that know you as a person, and even ones you’ve just met, aka current students at the schools you’re applying to. Networking and utilizing your network is one of the most crucial skills you’ll need during b-school, so you may as well start now!

Additional Costs

So aside from the costs of the GMAT, GMAT resources / courses, and application resources / consultants, there’s still that last costly part of the process that people forget – the applications! When you set out to determine your school list, don’t forget that each application you’re submitting is going to cost between $200-250. If you’re peppering the entire field and trying for 10+ schools, that’s already $2500+ right there (we’ll talk about school research and choice, as well as quality over quantity, in the next entry). Don’t forget to keep this in mind too, especially if you’re still on the fence of either your chances or if you really want that MBA.

Final Thoughts

Like I said before, the costs of applying are small change compared to the overall cost of getting your MBA. But the amount you can spend in this process can balloon very quickly if you go resource-hungry, and can bite you back if you for some reason decide not to pursue in the end, or fail to realize just how awesome you are without the help of someone whispering it in your ear. If you’re like me and find dropping stacks of cash on external assistance a little off-putting, there are plenty of options for you to get similar ‘advantages’ while still having money to buy dinner at the end of the day. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [5]
Given Kudos: 573
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Kudos