Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Strengthenx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [174]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [35]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64929 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [3]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in [#permalink]
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:
Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in my newly released film The Big Heist are strikingly similar to characters and plot twists in Thieves, a movie that came out last year. Based on these similarities, the film studio that produced Thieves is now accusing me of taking ideas from that film. The accusation is clearly without merit. All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director's rejection of the accusation?

(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.
(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.
(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.
(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.

I did pick B but with hesitation can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question. Thanks!

we have to strengthen that director of THE BIG HEIST has not copied the concept from other movie THIEVES.

(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.
==>This will rather strengthen the accusation because if script of thieves are circulating before the production of thieves==.there might be chance director of the big heist has read the script and hsa copied the script===>incorrect.

(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.==>this tells most similar characters and plot twists in this two films were already shown in many earlier movies==>this strengthens that director OF THE BIG HEIST is not accused of copying.
hence correct.

(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.==>this one is out of context==incorrect.

(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.==>this also doesnt say anything===>incorrect.

(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.==>comparison of time doesnt say anything==>incorrect.

hence B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in [#permalink]
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:
I did pick B but with hesitation can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question. Thanks!

We have to somehow prove that the director did not copy the other movie.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director's rejection of the accusation?

So it's likely that the director saw the script and maybe was inspired by it. This strengths the accusations
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.
So the characters and the plot were not created by the other director, they existed before => the director has a solid foundation to reject the accusations.
This is out of scope.
(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.
This means that, because they worked together, the director could have stolen some ideas.
This strengths the conclusion somehow.

(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.
This is out of scope. The time necessary to produce the movie is not relevant in the analysis.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Zarrolou wrote:
This means that, because they worked together, the director could have stolen some ideas.

hi zarroiou,

can you explain me in this option that how does it strengthen the conclusion.....cant we say it can be other way round...that director of THIEVES stole the idea from other director.....==>i think we cant conclude that===>they have worked together in past but we are not sure that during that time anyone of those directors have any plans / concept of movie making..which is discussed.===>so this one is out of context..IMO.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
shaileshmishra wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:

hi zarroiou,

can you explain me in this option that how does it strengthen the conclusion.....cant we say it can be other way round...that director of THIEVES stole the idea from other director.....==>i think we cant conclude that===>they have worked together in past but we are not sure that during that time anyone of those directors have any plans / concept of movie making..which is discussed.===>so this one is out of context..IMO.

Out of context IMO it's not. My idea of out of context is C.

I can add to my previous post that this could have happened the other way round, yes; but still this option remains within the context. For example even if what you say is true:

" they have worked together in past but we are not sure that during that time anyone of those directors have any plans / concept of movie making"

they could still talk about general features of a character without thinking about a movie in which use this characters. So they could have shared some general ideas about a plan/ characters that eventually were used in the movie. So I looking backwards a would rewrite D as:

D)There could have been an exchange of ideas, but because we cannot be sure of:
1-who "stole" those concepts
2-that this conversation actually happened
D is not a reliable option.

Hope that what I mean is clear
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
shaileshmishra wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:

hi zarroiou,

Out of context IMO it's not. My idea of out of context is C.

I can add to my previous post that this could have happened the other way round, yes; but still this option remains within the context. For example even if what you say is true:

" they have worked together in past but we are not sure that during that time anyone of those directors have any plans / concept of movie making"

they could still talk about general features of a character without thinking about a movie in which use this characters. So they could have shared some general ideas about a plan/ characters that eventually were used in the movie. So I looking backwards a would rewrite D as:

D)There could have been an exchange of ideas, but because we cannot be sure of:
1-who "stole" those concepts
2-that this conversation actually happened
D is not a reliable option.

Hope that what I mean is clear

TRUE....so it doesnt strengthens too,because if it strengthens then it has equal possibility to weaken too.
hope you agree.
anyways i am clear from my side.
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
In this question you are asked to strengthen the idea that the Director did not take ideas from the film thieves. We know that the ideas are similar and that Thieves was release AFTER production work on the The Big Heist was finished.
(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist. If this were true it would acutally weaken the idea that the ideas were not copied because it would have given the director another chance to see the ideas.
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre. This Strengthens the argument becuase if other movies had similar ideas then it shows that the director could have copied the idea from another source and not from Thieves.

(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre. - What the studio produced isn't at issue and has no bearing on whether the director could have copied the ideas.(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects. If the directors worked together it still doesn't say they shared ideas.(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves. production time does not matter.

[/quote]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
In this question you are asked to strengthen the idea that the Director did not take ideas from the film thieves. We know that the ideas are similar and that Thieves was release AFTER production work on the The Big Heist was finished.
(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist. If this were true it would acutally weaken the idea that the ideas were not copied because it would have given the director another chance to see the ideas.
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre. This Strengthens the argument becuase if other movies had similar ideas then it shows that the director could have copied the idea from another source and not from Thieves.

(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre. - What the studio produced isn't at issue and has no bearing on whether the director could have copied the ideas.(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects. If the directors worked together it still doesn't say they shared ideas.(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves. production time does not matter.

[/quote]

hi Robinson,

may i know what is your opinion regarding option D.
IS IT STRENGHTENING/WEAKENING/NEUTRAL.

regards
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
fozzzy wrote:
Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in my newly released film The Big Heist are strikingly similar to characters and plot twists in Thieves, a movie that came out last year. Based on these similarities, the film studio that produced Thieves is now accusing me of taking ideas from that film. The accusation is clearly without merit. All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released.

Two movies discussed. One released before and one came later. The later movie was accused of copy from earlier movie on some ideas. We need to help/support the director defending himself.

This weakens.

This helps calling the accusation false because there are many films which came earliar and used most similar characters and plots. So we cannot accuse someone for anything which is generalized by calling it specific.

Genre does not mean copied aspects of films. This does not help.

Two people who worked together may learn from each other and use the knowledge in films but nothing is certain. If we assume a lot and use this information then it would only prove the accusation not defy it. I would keep it as irrelevant choice.

First of all it is already mentioned that accused movie was already produced, it is just that the movie released later. Comparison of the production time of the movies will not help the direcrtor to prove that accusation is false.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
generis KarishmaB pikolo2510 nightblade354 ammuseeru PKN

I fall time and again into classic trap of proving an argument and am unable
to reject incorrect choices with confidence because of this.

Quote:

Let us start with question stem: I need to strengthen D' claim. Let us know the claim and how D arrives at by reading the argument now.

Quote:

D: Film director
FS: Film studio
TBH: The Big Heist
T: Thieves

Main Conclusion of D: the accusation by FS does not have any sound evidence.

Context of argument:
On a time frame:

< - - - Present - - - ->
T came earlier - - - TBH is released in present.
There is a similarity in characters played in both films.
Hence FS claim D has stolen ideas for TBH from T

Supporting premise by D to counter FS : All prod work on TBH was completed long back before T was released.
So how could I have stolen ideas for my present film TBH?

I have a small query before moving to PoE:
How valid is the assumption that same director also directed T?
Can FS be falsely accusing D to negatively market TBH?

Quote:

Yes, but what are the chances the D getting hold of script of T? Does this choice necessarily weaken or is it neutral?

Quote:

The highlighted text blew me off. In entire argument, all I am talking about is D, FD, T and TBH. I thought this as out
of scope choice.

Quote:

How crucial is seldom ? I rejected this choice based on this keyword.

Quote:

Here is where my relevant question before PoE matters. Can you explain if this choice is relevant?

Quote:

Hmm, timing <<--->> stealing / production. Could not see any connection with the argument.
Rejected the choice based on above grounds.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.

It only considers most similar character. What about less similar character shared only by BH and thieves. In that case this allegation is right.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in [#permalink]
fozzzy wrote:

I find it hard to eliminate B) or D).
D) leaves open the possibility that the director of TBH took some ideas from the director of Thieves. So D is not a very strong support for the director of TBH, i understand that.
But B) also leaves open the possibility that the director of TBH took some ideas of the film Thieves, which in turn took ideas from earlier films. In this way, the accusation is still valid, no?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GPA: 3
Send PM
Goal: Strengthen

Paraphrase: Certain characters and plot twists in my newly released film The Big Heist are strikingly similar to characters and plot twists in Thieves. Due to these similarities, the film studio that produced Thieves is now accusing The Big heist director of taking ideas from that film.

Conclusion: The accusation is clearly without merit

Additional Non-Essential Premise: All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released. (Be very careful of these kinds of Premises, as I have done a mistake by selecting option A, keeping this statement in mind)

Pre-thinking: Anything which destroys the accusation of the Thieves film Studio

a) This actually strengthen the accusation, which is not the goal. If you haven't focused on what is being asked to strengthen, you will tempted to select this answer.
b) Correct
c) Irrelevant
d) Doesn't Help destroy the accusation
e) Doesn't Help destroy the accusation

So, option B is the correct answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM