GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 775
Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2013, 02:38
8
1
33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:43) correct 33% (01:54) wrong based on 1501 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in my newly released film The Big Heist are strikingly similar to characters and plot twists in Thieves, a movie that came out last year. Based on these similarities, the film studio that produced Thieves is now accusing me of taking ideas from that film. The accusation is clearly without merit. All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director's rejection of the accusation?


(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.

(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.

(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.

(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.

(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.


ID - CR05077

I did pick B but with hesitation can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question. Thanks!

_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Most Helpful Expert Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 340
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 13:10
3
NOTE: This prompt appears in the OG 2019; however, note that option E is different!

Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in my newly released film The Big Heist are similar to characters and plot twists in Thieves, a movie that came out last year. Pointing to these similarities, the film studio that produced Thieves is now accusing me of taking ideas from that film. The accusation is clearly without merit. All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director’s position?

A. Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.

B. The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.

C. The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.

D. The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.

E. Production work on Thieves began before production work on The Big Heist was started.

BID (Boil It Down): Big Heist Before Thieves -> Big Heist didn’t copy Thieves

Conclusion: The director did not copy characters and plot from Thieves when making The Big Heist.
Proof: Production work on The Big Heist was completed before the release of Thieves.

Big 3 GMAT Assumptions:
    1. Success - N/A
    2. Relevance - Relevance of time frame: time frame of finished production relevant to issue of stealing (what if the director had a copy of the Thieves script before production)
    3. No Other Factors - N/A

The Goal: We are asked for support of the position/conclusion that the director did not copy from Thieves. We need to reinforce the notion that the time frame of the finished production of The Big Heist is relevant to issue of stealing from Thieves.

Choice B is correct. If the characters and plot used in The Big Heist that most resemble those of Thieves have been used in many films, this suggests strongly that the director is correct: There was no copying from Thieves. The ideas are common to the genre. This helps to point to an exonerating factor, although it is no slam dunk reinforcement of his assumption. B doesn’t prove the director is right, but it does lend support, which is what the question is asking for.

Choice A is a smoking gun, 180. It actually opens an avenue to make the director’s assumption that the time frame exonerates him totally irrelevant. In other words, this option could be used to say that the director DID have access to the script of Thieves before making The Big Heist, thus supporting the idea that copying did take place.

Choice C is an irrelevant comparison: The relation of Thieves to other films made by the studio does diddly to support the director’s claim, or even the studio’s argument for that matter. This is a complete left-field option.

Choice D does not have any kind of known impact on the argument by itself. For this option to be relevant, we’d have to lend the option the unwarranted assumption that the directors shared ideas, and even then, it would WEAKEN the director’s claim rather than support it.

Choice E would require us to make the unwarranted assumption that the director learned something about Thieves before making The Big Heist.



The Bigger Picture

There's an important lesson in this question: the assignment we're actually asked to complete.

Option B is not a slam dunk case for the director, but we're not actually asked to find a slam dunk case. What is this question asking us to do?

"Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director’s position?"

In that light, although B provides some support for the director, the other 4 options provide none, so B is 100% the answer to the assigned task even the it merely provides a shade of support.

Remember this lesson! The GMAT lavishly rewards those who actually follow instructions.
_________________

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image

Image

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount


GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

General Discussion
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 771
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2013, 04:17
1
fozzzy wrote:
Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in my newly released film The Big Heist are strikingly similar to characters and plot twists in Thieves, a movie that came out last year. Based on these similarities, the film studio that produced Thieves is now accusing me of taking ideas from that film. The accusation is clearly without merit. All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director's rejection of the accusation?

(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.
(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.
(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.
(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.


I did pick B but with hesitation can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question. Thanks!


we have to strengthen that director of THE BIG HEIST has not copied the concept from other movie THIEVES.

(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.
==>This will rather strengthen the accusation because if script of thieves are circulating before the production of thieves==.there might be chance director of the big heist has read the script and hsa copied the script===>incorrect.

(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.==>this tells most similar characters and plot twists in this two films were already shown in many earlier movies==>this strengthens that director OF THE BIG HEIST is not accused of copying.
hence correct.

(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.==>this one is out of context==incorrect.

(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.==>this also doesnt say anything===>incorrect.

(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.==>comparison of time doesnt say anything==>incorrect.

hence B
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1076
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2013, 07:40
1
fozzzy wrote:
I did pick B but with hesitation can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question. Thanks!


We have to somehow prove that the director did not copy the other movie.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director's rejection of the accusation?

(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.
So it's likely that the director saw the script and maybe was inspired by it. This strengths the accusations
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.
So the characters and the plot were not created by the other director, they existed before => the director has a solid foundation to reject the accusations.
(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.
This is out of scope.
(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.
This means that, because they worked together, the director could have stolen some ideas.
This strengths the conclusion somehow.

(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.
This is out of scope. The time necessary to produce the movie is not relevant in the analysis.
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 771
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2013, 08:03
Zarrolou wrote:
(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.
This means that, because they worked together, the director could have stolen some ideas.
This strengths the conclusion somehow.



hi zarroiou,

can you explain me in this option that how does it strengthen the conclusion.....cant we say it can be other way round...that director of THIEVES stole the idea from other director.....==>i think we cant conclude that===>they have worked together in past but we are not sure that during that time anyone of those directors have any plans / concept of movie making..which is discussed.===>so this one is out of context..IMO.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1076
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2013, 08:21
shaileshmishra wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.
This means that, because they worked together, the director could have stolen some ideas.
This strengths the conclusion somehow.



hi zarroiou,

can you explain me in this option that how does it strengthen the conclusion.....cant we say it can be other way round...that director of THIEVES stole the idea from other director.....==>i think we cant conclude that===>they have worked together in past but we are not sure that during that time anyone of those directors have any plans / concept of movie making..which is discussed.===>so this one is out of context..IMO.


Out of context IMO it's not. My idea of out of context is C.

I can add to my previous post that this could have happened the other way round, yes; but still this option remains within the context. For example even if what you say is true:

" they have worked together in past but we are not sure that during that time anyone of those directors have any plans / concept of movie making"

they could still talk about general features of a character without thinking about a movie in which use this characters. So they could have shared some general ideas about a plan/ characters that eventually were used in the movie. So I looking backwards a would rewrite D as:

D)There could have been an exchange of ideas, but because we cannot be sure of:
1-who "stole" those concepts
2-that this conversation actually happened
D is not a reliable option.


Hope that what I mean is clear
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 771
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2013, 08:26
Zarrolou wrote:
shaileshmishra wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.
This means that, because they worked together, the director could have stolen some ideas.
This strengths the conclusion somehow.



hi zarroiou,

can you explain me in this option that how does it strengthen the conclusion.....cant we say it can be other way round...that director of THIEVES stole the idea from other director.....==>i think we cant conclude that===>they have worked together in past but we are not sure that during that time anyone of those directors have any plans / concept of movie making..which is discussed.===>so this one is out of context..IMO.


Out of context IMO it's not. My idea of out of context is C.

I can add to my previous post that this could have happened the other way round, yes; but still this option remains within the context. For example even if what you say is true:

" they have worked together in past but we are not sure that during that time anyone of those directors have any plans / concept of movie making"

they could still talk about general features of a character without thinking about a movie in which use this characters. So they could have shared some general ideas about a plan/ characters that eventually were used in the movie. So I looking backwards a would rewrite D as:

D)There could have been an exchange of ideas, but because we cannot be sure of:
1-who "stole" those concepts
2-that this conversation actually happened
D is not a reliable option.


Hope that what I mean is clear


TRUE....so it doesnt strengthens too,because if it strengthens then it has equal possibility to weaken too.
hope you agree.
anyways i am clear from my side.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Princeton Review Representative
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2013
Posts: 160
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2013, 16:03
In this question you are asked to strengthen the idea that the Director did not take ideas from the film thieves. We know that the ideas are similar and that Thieves was release AFTER production work on the The Big Heist was finished.
(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist. If this were true it would acutally weaken the idea that the ideas were not copied because it would have given the director another chance to see the ideas.
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre. This Strengthens the argument becuase if other movies had similar ideas then it shows that the director could have copied the idea from another source and not from Thieves.

(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre. - What the studio produced isn't at issue and has no bearing on whether the director could have copied the ideas.(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects. If the directors worked together it still doesn't say they shared ideas.(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves. production time does not matter.


I did pick B but with hesitation can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question. Thanks!
[/quote]
_________________

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 771
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2013, 16:07
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
In this question you are asked to strengthen the idea that the Director did not take ideas from the film thieves. We know that the ideas are similar and that Thieves was release AFTER production work on the The Big Heist was finished.
(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist. If this were true it would acutally weaken the idea that the ideas were not copied because it would have given the director another chance to see the ideas.
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre. This Strengthens the argument becuase if other movies had similar ideas then it shows that the director could have copied the idea from another source and not from Thieves.

(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre. - What the studio produced isn't at issue and has no bearing on whether the director could have copied the ideas.(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects. If the directors worked together it still doesn't say they shared ideas.(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves. production time does not matter.


I did pick B but with hesitation can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question. Thanks!
[/quote]

hi Robinson,

may i know what is your opinion regarding option D.
IS IT STRENGHTENING/WEAKENING/NEUTRAL.

regards
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1030
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 03:56
fozzzy wrote:
Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in my newly released film The Big Heist are strikingly similar to characters and plot twists in Thieves, a movie that came out last year. Based on these similarities, the film studio that produced Thieves is now accusing me of taking ideas from that film. The accusation is clearly without merit. All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released.


Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director's rejection of the accusation?

Two movies discussed. One released before and one came later. The later movie was accused of copy from earlier movie on some ideas. We need to help/support the director defending himself.

(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.
This weakens.

(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.
This helps calling the accusation false because there are many films which came earliar and used most similar characters and plots. So we cannot accuse someone for anything which is generalized by calling it specific.

(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.
Genre does not mean copied aspects of films. This does not help.

(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.
Two people who worked together may learn from each other and use the knowledge in films but nothing is certain. If we assume a lot and use this information then it would only prove the accusation not defy it. I would keep it as irrelevant choice.

(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.
First of all it is already mentioned that accused movie was already produced, it is just that the movie released later. Comparison of the production time of the movies will not help the direcrtor to prove that accusation is false.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1209
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 19:16
generis KarishmaB pikolo2510 nightblade354 ammuseeru PKN

I fall time and again into classic trap of proving an argument and am unable
to reject incorrect choices with confidence because of this.

Quote:
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director's rejection of the accusation?

Let us start with question stem: I need to strengthen D' claim. Let us know the claim and how D arrives at by reading the argument now.

Quote:
Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in my newly released film The Big Heist are strikingly similar to characters and plot twists in Thieves, a movie that came out last year. Based on these similarities, the film studio that produced Thieves is now accusing me of taking ideas from that film. The accusation is clearly without merit. All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released.


D: Film director
FS: Film studio
TBH: The Big Heist
T: Thieves

Main Conclusion of D: the accusation by FS does not have any sound evidence.

Context of argument:
On a time frame:

< - - - Present - - - ->
T came earlier - - - TBH is released in present.
There is a similarity in characters played in both films.
Hence FS claim D has stolen ideas for TBH from T

Supporting premise by D to counter FS : All prod work on TBH was completed long back before T was released.
So how could I have stolen ideas for my present film TBH?

I have a small query before moving to PoE:
How valid is the assumption that same director also directed T?
Can FS be falsely accusing D to negatively market TBH?

Quote:
(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.

Yes, but what are the chances the D getting hold of script of T? Does this choice necessarily weaken or is it neutral?

Quote:
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.

The highlighted text blew me off. In entire argument, all I am talking about is D, FD, T and TBH. I thought this as out
of scope choice.

Quote:
(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.

How crucial is seldom ? I rejected this choice based on this keyword.

Quote:
(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.

Here is where my relevant question before PoE matters. Can you explain if this choice is relevant?

Quote:
(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.

Hmm, timing <<--->> stealing / production. Could not see any connection with the argument.
Rejected the choice based on above grounds.
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8396
Location: Pune, India
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 02:54
1
adkikani wrote:
generis KarishmaB pikolo2510 nightblade354 ammuseeru PKN

I fall time and again into classic trap of proving an argument and am unable
to reject incorrect choices with confidence because of this.

Quote:
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the director's rejection of the accusation?

Let us start with question stem: I need to strengthen D' claim. Let us know the claim and how D arrives at by reading the argument now.

Quote:
Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in my newly released film The Big Heist are strikingly similar to characters and plot twists in Thieves, a movie that came out last year. Based on these similarities, the film studio that produced Thieves is now accusing me of taking ideas from that film. The accusation is clearly without merit. All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released.


D: Film director
FS: Film studio
TBH: The Big Heist
T: Thieves

Main Conclusion of D: the accusation by FS does not have any sound evidence.

Context of argument:
On a time frame:

< - - - Present - - - ->
T came earlier - - - TBH is released in present.
There is a similarity in characters played in both films.
Hence FS claim D has stolen ideas for TBH from T

Supporting premise by D to counter FS : All prod work on TBH was completed long back before T was released.
So how could I have stolen ideas for my present film TBH?

I have a small query before moving to PoE:
How valid is the assumption that same director also directed T?
Can FS be falsely accusing D to negatively market TBH?

Quote:
(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.

Yes, but what are the chances the D getting hold of script of T? Does this choice necessarily weaken or is it neutral?

Quote:
(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.

The highlighted text blew me off. In entire argument, all I am talking about is D, FD, T and TBH. I thought this as out
of scope choice.

Quote:
(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.

How crucial is seldom ? I rejected this choice based on this keyword.

Quote:
(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.

Here is where my relevant question before PoE matters. Can you explain if this choice is relevant?

Quote:
(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.

Hmm, timing <<--->> stealing / production. Could not see any connection with the argument.
Rejected the choice based on above grounds.



Premises:
Some characters and plot twists in The Big Heist are strikingly similar to those in Thieves
Studio that produced Thieves is now accusing of taking ideas from that film.
All production work on The Big Heist was actually completed months before Thieves was released.

Conclusion: The accusation is clearly without merit.

We need to strengthen the conclusion that the accusation has no merit.

(A) Before Thieves began production, its script had been circulating for several years among various film studios, including the studio that produced The Big Heist.

If the script had been circulating for a long time, it is possible that the Big Heist director saw it and got "inspired" by it. It does not strengthen our conclusion. If anything, it might weaken it.

(B) The characters and plot twists that are most similar in the two films have close parallels in many earlier films of the same genre.

This makes it likely that both Big Heist and Thieves are inspired by earlier films and hence they have characters and plot twists that are similar. This increases the possibility that the accusation is false and that Big Heist is not inspired by Thieves. This is the answer.

(C) The film studio that produced Thieves seldom produces films in this genre.

Irrelevant. Doesn't matter how many films the studio produces in this genre.

(D) The director of Thieves worked with the director of The Big Heist on several earlier projects.

If the two directors have worked together in the past, they could share a common style but it is very far fetched to assume that they will come up with same characters and plot lines. Option (B) is certainly much more specific since it says that there are past characters and plot lines from which both could have got inspired.

(E) The time it took to produce The Big Heist was considerably shorter than the time it took to produce Thieves.

Irrelevant. Just because Big Heist took less time, it doesn't mean it was inspired from another movie.

Answer (B)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2018, 02:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Film Director: It is true that certain characters and plot twists in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.