Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [46]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 493 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: GMAT 750 :- End of journey; Thank you all !! [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Congrats LogicGuru1...then we'll be missing your posts from now onwards...that is going to be GOD COMPLEX ... :) ...

Share your experience...once you get AWA score too..
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
YAY! Wonderful personal journey, with an outstanding outcome in many ways. Congrats! I am definitely richer for having interacted with you and I'm sure that you have helped a lot of people. Look forward to working with you on apps :-)

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Congrats on the great score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Congratulations! Well done. Your study plan was strict and it did yield you a good score. May be somewhere you wanted more but it's still a great score.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Awesome!! Hearty congrats! This write up is just what I needed at this stage of my preparation. I intend to take GMAT exactly 2 months from now and so far I have only prepared on my own. Your write up has encouraged me to take the necessary steps and not get into the business of GMAT coaching. I have ample time throughout the day to slog atleast 8 hrs a day for the practice as I work from home.

Thanks again and best wishes for the challenges ahead. Looking forward to AWA essays.

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Congratulations on a fantastic score!

I do have to ask though: Did you never feel burnt out during your preparation? 12-14 hours of study time per day is a LOT.
The most I ever did was 35 hours per week (about 5 hours per day without any days of) and I felt very burnt out after a couple of weeks, but my GMAT preparation has been going on for over 7 months now. It is, of course, also the time frame.
Short and intense is most likely better than long and less intense.

Once again congrats.
Since I have been studying a lot of CR lately I do have to point out that your argument under point 1 is flawed.
Even at business schools you will study under "coaching", namely professors. There is instruction in every school. :)
You won't do it on your own.
It's not the lazy, incompetent way out for test takers.
But I also have to give you credit for doing it all on your own. That's very impressive! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [0]
Send PM
Silviax wrote:
Congratulations on a fantastic score!

I do have to ask though: Did you never feel burnt out during your preparation? 12-14 hours of study time per day is a LOT.
The most I ever did was 35 hours per week (about 5 hours per day without any days of) and I felt very burnt out after a couple of weeks, but my GMAT preparation has been going on for over 7 months now. It is, of course, also the time frame.
Short and intense is most likely better than long and less intense.

Once again congrats.
Since I have been studying a lot of CR lately I do have to point out that your argument under point 1 is flawed.
Even at business schools you will study under "coaching", namely professors. There is instruction in every school. :)
You won't do it on your own.
It's not the lazy, incompetent way out for test takers.
But I also have to give you credit for doing it all on your own. That's very impressive! :)

Thanks
well, there was no question of a burn-out for two main reasons (1) My college is one of the toughest and premiere colleges in the country therefore it is common for students to have a vast experience in studying 10 - 12 hours per day, face insane deadlines, Multi-task half a dozen things at any given time, work on mind frying project work, and withstand the pressure to perform well in extra curricular activites as well as maintaining a high GPA. All these activities were a regular part of my college education plus I had a bunch of other interests in college as well, so 12-14 hours of GMAT study didn't felt a new thing....If anything I felt like i was in college again. (2) My work industry is considered (and actually is) one of the toughest industry in the world both in terms of physical and mental efforts that one had to put in during work hours. Preparing for GMAT appeared as a picnic compared to the above mentioned two cases.

Also I approached GMAT with lots of love as not as a deadly hurdle. Loving a task makes it much more pleasurable. This is one of the reasons I planned my Quant studies at evening and night time only, despite knowing that I would be little fatigued after solving all those verbal questions all day long. But because I love math, therefore doing Quant despite being mentally active all day didn't appeared like a chore but a welcome change from Verbal.

In retrospect I am glad that I opted for the short intense preparation plan, because I was in the "zone" during the entire duration of my preparation and I did not forget much of the concepts that I mastered during that study period. Frankly speaking I am least concerned now after getting a decent score that I forget all of my GMAT studies. I do not care anymore now. Short preparation helped me in retaining most of the important exam related topics easily and use them effectively. Also I didn't let my mind get muddled by mock test and all those fancy statistics about each topic. I avoided any deep statistical analysis of my errors that many website offers but I rather kept only a simple error log and practiced until the error log became shorter and shorter. I paid emphasis on errors that I made twice or thrice and practiced and learned the correct methods and rules so as not to repeat those errors again.

That's all to it :)

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 26 Aug 2016, 01:29.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 29 Aug 2016, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 714 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
I am one of your biggests fans and I am definitelly not surprised by your success.

Actually, you deserve all the best simply because you are a humble but still an above average person

Congratulations mate!

P.S. Why have you kept a ladybug on your profile? :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
Congratulations, LogicGuru1! That hard word paid off nicely!

Quote:
I had almost completed Quant 11 minutes earlier than the allocated time. I did not submitted the last answer but I decided to use those 11 minutes. I signaled for a brand new notebook and in 10 seconds I was provided one. In the new notebook I made many helpful notes related to VERBAL which was my next section. I made areas for RC paragraphs, anticipating a maximum of 3 paragraphs. I wrote all shortcuts and their rules (My - mother- makes-mango-fruit punch-&-chutney) which is actually a short cut for Must be be true-most supported-main point-method of reasoning-Flaw in the reasoning-parallel reasoning- cannot be true. (take the first letter)

Using those 11 mins to work on your pad before starting the verbal section was an awesome move, hats off to you. I will do the same if I have any time to spare at the end of the quant section.

Regarding your time management, did you check the clock at all during the test? The reason why I'm asking is that I've been taking quizzes without controlling the time and my results and pace have improved significantly. I can't really explain why that happens but it may be because I devote 100% of my focus towards the exercises when I ignore the clock.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMAT 750 :- End of journey; Thank you all !! [#permalink]
diegocml wrote:
Congratulations, LogicGuru1! That hard word paid off nicely!

Quote:
I had almost completed Quant 11 minutes earlier than the allocated time. I did not submitted the last answer but I decided to use those 11 minutes. I signaled for a brand new notebook and in 10 seconds I was provided one. In the new notebook I made many helpful notes related to VERBAL which was my next section. I made areas for RC paragraphs, anticipating a maximum of 3 paragraphs. I wrote all shortcuts and their rules (My - mother- makes-mango-fruit punch-&-chutney) which is actually a short cut for Must be be true-most supported-main point-method of reasoning-Flaw in the reasoning-parallel reasoning- cannot be true. (take the first letter)

Using those 11 mins to work on your pad before starting the verbal section was an awesome move, hats off to you. I will do the same if I have any time to spare at the end of the quant section.

Regarding your time management, did you check the clock at all during the test? The reason why I'm asking is that I've been taking quizzes without controlling the time and my results and pace have improved significantly. I can't really explain why that happens but it may be because I devote 100% of my focus towards the exercises when I ignore the clock.

Thank you ,
No I did not check clock regularly except for IR section because I was flustered in IR section. Essay, Quant and 90 % of the verbal section was a breeze as far as time management is concerned but yes after every 5- 6 question my eyes would involuntarily move to the top right side of the screen to see how much time is left. But I never did that consciously .It was more a subconscious gesture. I think it just happens on its own when you are in the exam center. Never let the clock bother you and throw you out of your rythm but also make sure that you are not slow as to miss questions in GMAT because of time constraint because the penalty for missed question is much harsher than a wrong answer.
Also I noticed if questions are easier then the frequency of actively seeking the clock reduces and when questions are tougher one tends to look into the clock many times in a course of a single question. Avoid this habit if it is happening to you. Your task is to finish the question, without getting too much worried, with utmost focus on the problem at hand

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 26 Aug 2016, 10:38.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 10 May 2018, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Congrats on the awesome score . Thanks for the details and strategy provided.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
good

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
This was a great novel. Channels Murakami.
I am convinced you are a psychopath, but a hilarious one at that. Kudos. I like reading about other ppls journeys and this one was the most entertaining by far.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
lisatsai90 wrote:
This was a great novel. Channels Murakami.
I am convinced you are a psychopath, but a hilarious one at that. Kudos. I like reading about other ppls journeys and this one was the most entertaining by far.

1) Nothing like the sublime Murakami (Even though native Japanese critics feel he is too Americanized to be considered a true Japanese writer)
2) Neither a psychopath ... Nor a high functioning sociopath. A super decent gentleman with two baby kitten and an extremely beautiful loving life partner.
3) You wrote just one post and that too a cheeky one. You must use this forum for better purposes such as getting guidance and solving questions. May be making connections if you are into social interactions.

Thanks for your message though.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 25 Mar 2018, 16:30.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 26 Mar 2018, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
LogicGuru1 wrote:
My fellow GMATCLUB members,
I am finally done with GMAT. I took the test today on 9th August 2016 and got a score of 750. It is a little less than what I was expecting because my target score was 760+ but i guess the lack of concentration in the final stages of Verbal section stopped me from doing so. My official consolidated scores along just arrived in my mail box (on 13th August) . The break up is follows :-

Analytical writing assessment :- 6/6

Integrated Reasoning :- 6/12

Quant:- 49/51

Verbal :- 43/51

Hi LogicGuru1,

Belated congrats on the 750 (98%)! One fact that might make you feel even better is that the maximum IR score is 8 points, not 12. In addition, it is important to keep in mind that IR and AWA scores are not factored into one's composite percentile, which means that a 750 with high AWA/IR scores is most likely a truly 99% score overall.

p.s. I don't think you're a "psychopath" either, nor would I ever conclude that about anyone based upon a GMAT debrief. That was an odd comment at best.

-Brian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
LogicGuru1 wrote:
My fellow GMATCLUB members,
I am finally done with GMAT. I took the test today on 9th August 2016 and got a score of 750. It is a little less than what I was expecting because my target score was 760+ but i guess the lack of concentration in the final stages of Verbal section stopped me from doing so. My official consolidated scores along just arrived in my mail box (on 13th August) . The break up is follows :-

Analytical writing assessment :- 6/6

Integrated Reasoning :- 6/12

Quant:- 49/51

Verbal :- 43/51

Hi LogicGuru1,

Belated congrats on the 750 (98%)! One fact that might make you feel even better is that the maximum IR score is 8 points, not 12. In addition, it is important to keep in mind that IR and AWA scores are not factored into one's composite percentile, which means that a 750 with high AWA/IR scores is most likely a truly 99% score overall.

p.s. I don't think you're a "psychopath" either, nor would I ever conclude that about anyone based upon a GMAT debrief. That was an odd comment at best.

-Brian

Hello Brian,
Thanks for your message...
I always thought IR was 12 Point. I don't remember the official GMAT books and mock exams at this point.
But I do have this image in my GMAT preparation section which shows IR being 12
Have they recently made some changes to IR because I am pretty sure (sub consiously) that I always had IT pegged at 12 ???

IMAGE ---> Attached with the post
Attachments

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 8.30.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 8.30.53 PM.png [ 59.79 KiB | Viewed 11752 times ]

Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Happy to help! You are correct that the IR has 12 questions total, but it is definitely scored out of 8 points, and always has been since its introduction in 2012.

We can now infer from ESR analysis that there are 3 experimental questions and 9 counted questions on every IR section. Your IR score is essentially the number of those 9 questions that you answer correctly (though you obviously cannot score a 9 when the maximum score is an 8).

For more info check out this post.

-Brian
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts