It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 71 [4], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 17:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:32) correct 32% (00:53) wrong based on 908 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility that the normal human life span comprises an even number of days.

A. that the normal human life span comprises an even number of days

B. that an even number of days may be comprising the normal human life span

C. of the normal human life span to be comprised of an even number of days

D. of an even number of days that may comprise the normal human life span

E. of an even number of days to comprise the normal human life span

My question
[Reveal] Spoiler:
As a native speaker, this looks like complete gibberish to me (even though it's an official question). Firstly, is "possibility" generally followed by "that" and not "of"? Or it depends on context? Or is there a hard and fast rule that always applies? Secondly, my brain hurts from reading these answers as it feels very wrong to not have an "of" after "comprises". To me, the ideal answer would be "A" but instead say "is comprised of an even number of days". Am I playing this too much by ear?

I'm not sure what tags this would be so please let me know if there is a specific tag I should add/remove.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Kudos [?]: 71 [4], given: 78

Expert Post
20 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5891 [20], given: 118

Re: Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
redfield wrote:
Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility that the normal human life span comprises an even number of days.

My question
[Reveal] Spoiler:
As a native speaker, this looks like complete gibberish to me (even though it's an official question). Firstly, is "possibility" generally followed by "that" and not "of"? Or it depends on context? Or is there a hard and fast rule that always applies? Secondly, my brain hurts from reading these answers as it feels very wrong to not have an "of" after "comprises". To me, the ideal answer would be "A" but instead say "is comprised of an even number of days". Am I playing this too much by ear?

I'm not sure what tags this would be so please let me know if there is a specific tag I should add/remove.

Hi,
the two points raised -
1) possiblity that or possiblity of- Both are correct and depend on the context they are used
Possiblity of should be followed by a noun-
there is a high possiblity of rain today...
possiblity that should be followed by a clause
there is a high possiblity that the rains will bring respite to drought hit areas..

2) comprises vs comprise of-
comprises is almost always used without 'of'- comprise itself means 'consist of'
of used in "comprised of"

these two points are followed ONLY in A
A

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5891 [20], given: 118

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 79

Re: Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 23:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I opted for correct option, but can you please check my approach.

The meaning of the sentence suggest that the natural deaths suggest the possibility that... Blah Blah Blah...!!

1) This sentence states the STATISTICS suggest something. So, there should not be any DOUBT in it.
Therefore, the usage of CONDITIONAL word like MAY can be eliminated.
This eliminates B and D.
2) E shows intention TO COMPRISE but there is no intention. This eliminates Option E.

1) A uses---> comprises ( uses present tense to stte a fact which is correct)
2) C uses--> to be comprised (which is PAST tense)

To state a general phenomena we use present tense. This eliminates option C
Hence A is correct.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5891 [1], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 23:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I opted for correct option, but can you please check my approach.

The meaning of the sentence suggest that the natural deaths suggest the possibility that... Blah Blah Blah...!!

1) This sentence states the STATISTICS suggest something. So, there should not be any DOUBT in it.
Therefore, the usage of CONDITIONAL word like MAY can be eliminated.
This eliminates B and D.
2) E shows intention TO COMPRISE but there is no intention. This eliminates Option E.

1) A uses---> comprises ( uses present tense to stte a fact which is correct)
2) C uses--> to be comprised (which is PAST tense)

To state a general phenomena we use present tense. This eliminates option C
Hence A is correct.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Hi,

the points you have worked on are generally correct..

But the reason for eliminating choices containing MAY should be the use of possiblity and not 'statistics'......
the stats if used to talk of result of a future event is a possiblity and not a sure shot confirmation..

example -
India has won all matches against Pakistan at Eden gardens as per the stats. So India may win this time too....
Or I can write " It is a possiblity that India will win this match as per the statistics available..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5891 [1], given: 118

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 23:57
chetan2u
Thanks for your response.

Yes, tour are correct. elimination of "May" should be because of "possibility".
Thanks

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 135

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 01:11
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I have reached to the final answer A just by looking for the right meaning from the 5 answer options.

While, option A and C, says, normal human life span comprises an even number of days, the remaining choices options B, D and E, says, an even number of days that may comprise the normal human life span.

According to me the meaning that is extracted from the options B, D and E is not appropriate, as, it should be, human life comprises an even number of days and not the vice versa.

Down to options A and C, suggest + 'that' is only present in option A. So, I picked option A.

Is my reasoning correct? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 135

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5891 [0], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 01:23
vnigam21 wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I have reached to the final answer A just by looking for the right meaning from the 5 answer options.

While, option A and C, says, normal human life span comprises an even number of days, the remaining choices options B, D and E, says, an even number of days that may comprise the normal human life span.

According to me the meaning that is extracted from the options B, D and E is not appropriate, as, it should be, human life comprises an even number of days and not the vice versa.

Down to options A and C, suggest + 'that' is only present in option A. So, I picked option A.

Is my reasoning correct? Any suggestions?

Hi,

Not in all choices the meaning may be different ..
there could be voice difference - active or passive ..

Most of the Qs are based on grammatical sense, which should not have some illogical meaning...
At times the ORIGINAl meaning may be very awkward and then, we have to look for the best possible choice available..

So whenever you are doing these SC ..
1) see Grammatically what all is correct..
2) If there are more than one correct grammatically, look for meaning issue....
If the original meaning is logical, choose the answer which follows the original meaning

Kudos [?]: 5891 [0], given: 118

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 07:10
Hi all,

I got this question in mock and marked "D", here are my reasons

in this sentence word used was "suggest", I got this question is about subjunctive and must follow the structure:

Suggest + That + "pural verb"

This was followed only in D and E

In E, because of word "To", I rejected this option.

Can anyone tell me why I got this one wrong :-(

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 18:55
prakhar39 wrote:
Hi all,

I got this question in mock and marked "D", here are my reasons

in this sentence word used was "suggest", I got this question is about subjunctive and must follow the structure:

Suggest + That + "pural verb"

This was followed only in D and E

In E, because of word "To", I rejected this option.

Can anyone tell me why I got this one wrong :-(

Yup - meaning.

Let's break down D and E:
This means that number of days consist of the life span. Can days consist of the life span? They can't.
Same as D - the sentence doesn't make sense.

A little tip - pay close attention to the meaning of the sentences. GMAT is including meaning traps in more SC problems than they did in the past.

Hope this helped :)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 12:30
Hi all,

Could you help me with the difference between suggest + that-clase (subjunctive mood) and the one used here?

I ended up eliminating option A because I thought that what follows "suggest" on this question should be used with subjunctive mood. Is the reasoning that the statistics are not "suggesting" that human life span "do" something? Actually they are suggesting "a possibility that"...?

For ex:
I suggest that he study.
vs.
Statistics suggest the possilibity that..?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 56

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 20:51
redfield wrote:

My question
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Original question tells us that statistic suggest the possibility and show that possibility:
Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility
that the normal human life span comprises an even number of days.
To the original question, that clause modifies possibility .
Choice B and D change the meaning of original question, it means that stastistics show possibility to comprise… in other words, to be comprise in choice c and to comprise in choi e modify suggest, show the purpose of suggestion. This is not intended meaning. :
Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility of the normal human life span to be comprised of an even number of days
Choice d, that modifies days=>eliminate.
Choice b: awkward and change meaning.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 13:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO, there are two decision points in terms of logical prediction/Idiom: I) reporting verb II) redundancy

1) to suggest is a reporting verb in this context, that requires a + THAT construction (check out substantive clauses). Additionally, there is no need for subjunctive, because its function is not to demand something but rather to report something; therefore the use of indicative is justified.
Another reason why it is logical to claim the need of " THAT " is because the sentence needs a descriptive phrase. In other words " The study suggests WHAT? ". If a modifier is used in a form of a prepositional sentence ( " OF ... " ) the sentence does not convey the message. Compare the following:

The study suggests the possibility that it rains tomorrow. -> descriptive phrase describes what will actually happen
The study suggests the possibility of rain tomorrow. -> modifier describes a certain type of possibility

II) Redundancy: possibilty itself describes a hypothetical scenario, therefore a " hypothetical verb" is redundant.

Compare this:

The study suggests the possibility that it rains tomorrow -> describes hypothetical scenario
The study suggests that it may rain tomorrow -> describes hypothetical scenario

Redundant: The study suggests the possibility that it may rain tomorrow

A) correct
B) redundant; also even days comprise a human life span vs. a human life span compromises even days (only the second is logical)
C) reporting verb; to be compromised suggests "required action "
D) reporting verb; redundant; logic (similar to B)
E) reporting verb; to comprise suggests purpose (not logical)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 02:07

B. that an even number of days may be comprising the normal human life span (possibility)

D. of an even number of days that may comprise the normal human life span (possibility)

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 10:49
Below was my POE. Please advice is this is right

B. that an even number of days may be comprising the normal human life spanfirstly, maybe comprising is wrong. Secondly, it is passive voice

C. of the normal human life span to be comprised of an even number of daysto be comprised

D. of an even number of days that may comprise the normal human life spanmay comprise, and passive voice

E. of an even number of days to comprise the normal human life spanagain passive voice

IMO, the original sentence means X comprises Y

Options B, D and E states Y comprises X which changes the meaning of the sentence slightly.

Is my logic correct ?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 64

Re: Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility..   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2017, 10:49

Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap