Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 18:40 It is currently 05 May 2024, 18:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [150]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28598 [51]
Given Kudos: 130
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14680 [17]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
paras123 wrote:
Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions

(A) for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been

(B) for Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also

(C) for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also

(D) of Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as also a politician, but Tagore was

(E) of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been

Source OG 13 # 38

Concepts tested here: Tenses + Parallelism + Idioms

• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• The past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past".
• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("and also" in this sentence) must be parallel.
• “not only A but also B” is the correct, idiomatic usage; A must be parallel to B.
• "admiration for" is the correct, idiomatic construction.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb "had been" to refer to one of two actions that concluded in the past and took place at the same time - Rabindranath Tagore having the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi and Tagore being skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is only used when a sentence contains two actions in the past, and one took place before the other; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past". Further, Option A fails to maintain parallelism between "the person" and "as a politician"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and also" in this sentence) must be parallel.

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the simple past tense verb "was" to refer to one of two actions that concluded in the past and took place at the same time - Rabindranath Tagore having the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi and Tagore being skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions. Further, Option B correctly maintains parallelism between "as a person" and "as a politician". Additionally, Option B correctly uses the idiomatic construction "admiration for". Moreover, Option B avoids the idiom error seen in Options C and E, as it does not use the "not only A but also B" construction.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "not only A ("as a person") and B ("as a politician")"; please remember, “not only A but also B” is the correct, idiomatic usage; A must be parallel to B.

D: This answer choice uses the unidiomatic construction "admiration of"; please remember, "admiration for" is the correct, idiomatic construction. Further, Option D fails to maintain parallelism between "as a person" and "as also a politician"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this sentence) must be parallel.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb "had...been" to refer to one of two actions that concluded in the past and took place at the same time - Rabindranath Tagore having the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi and Tagore being skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is only used when a sentence contains two actions in the past, and one took place before the other; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past". Further, Option E uses the unidiomatic construction "admiration of"; please remember, "admiration for" is the correct, idiomatic construction. Additionally, Option E incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "not only A ("as a person") and B ("as a politician")"; please remember, “not only A but also B” is the correct, idiomatic usage; A must be parallel to B.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51479 [6]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
paras123 wrote:
Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions

A. same
B. for Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
C. for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
D. of Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as also a politician, but Tagore was
E. of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been

Source OG 13 # 38

A. MK.Gandhi the person and also AS a politicial is NOT parallel.
B. Correct parallelism.
C. not only needs but also ESSENTIALLY
D. as a person and as also a politician is NOT parallel. Also admiration of is weird/awkward.
E. Not only needs but also. Also a problem with the use of "admiration of"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2201 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had [#permalink]
Kudos
In this question, I was able to eliminate A,D and E.
But strucked between B and C, I chose B, dont know why, but the explanation here why C i wrong, I am unable to get the catch.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
honchos wrote:
In this question, I was able to eliminate A,D and E.
But strucked between B and C, I chose B, dont know why, but the explanation here why C i wrong, I am unable to get the catch.

Dear honchos,
I'm happy to help. :-) Here's the question again:

OG SC #38) Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions
A. for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been
B. for Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
C. for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
D. of Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as also a politician, but Tagore was
E. of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been

The not only ... but also idiom is a favorite on the GMAT, and it must link two parallel structures ----
not only P but also Q
The P & Q must be in parallel. If P begins with a preposition, then Q must begin with the same preposition.

In version (C), it starts ....
(C) Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, .....
After the "not only", we get a prepositional phrase with the preposition "as", so we need exactly that in the second half: for example, something along the lines of .....
Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but also as an expert in blah blah blah.

The second half of the sentence does not match the expectations that the first half of (C) sets up. More to the point, the grammatical structures
not P but Q or a simple but
establishes a strong contrast, and it is precisely this sense of contrast for which this sentence is striving. Simplistically, Tagore saw Gandhi as good in some ways and not-so-good in some ways. That's contrast. The structure
not only P but also Q
is a structure that emphasizes the deeper unity among two elements that might seem different. It's not really the appropriate idiom for the contrast this sentence wants to establish. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom ... junctions/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike,

Is it necessary that the in the idiom Not only X but also Y, X and Y should have same structure.
Ex: In the correct version mentioned by you Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but also as an expert in blah blah blah.

X -> As a person and as a politician
Y-> as an expert

So X is a list of two elements but Y is a single element.

Please advise...
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28598 [0]
Expert Reply
ygdrasil24 wrote:
Mike,

Is it necessary that the in the idiom Not only X but also Y, X and Y should have same structure.
Ex: In the correct version mentioned by you Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but also as an expert in blah blah blah.

X -> As a person and as a politician
Y-> as an expert

So X is a list of two elements but Y is a single element.

Please advise...

Dear ygdrasil24,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

In the idiom "not only X but also Y", it is very important that X and Y are in parallel. It's very important to remember --- parallelism is fundamentally not a grammatical structure but a logical structure. The two elements in parallel must be playing logically the same role, and part of that is having the same grammatical form.
Here, both X and Y describe roles that Gandhi had, or ways that his contemporaries might look at him. One way to look at him was "as a person and as a politician." Another way to look at him was "as an expert in blah blah blah." It's fine that the first one has two elements and the second only has one. Never let yourself become fundamentalist about parallelism. It's not about creating perfect symmetry purely at the level of individual grammatical units --- rather, it's about the overall flow of the logic. If you pay attention to the grammar and ignore the logic, you will miss the forest for the trees.

Here's a recent post on parallelism:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

I hope all this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Kudos
I get that option B is correct and understand all the reasons why.

But this sentence has an issue that is throwing me off.
....R Tagore had the greatest admiration for...., but Tagore was also ....

Can some one please explain how this verb-tense is correct?

Does the HAD show that that there was first admiration and Then there WAS skepticism?
Is this the timeline being conveyed by the meaning of this sentence?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28598 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vingmat001 wrote:
I get that option B is correct and understand all the reasons why.

But this sentence has an issue that is throwing me off.
....R Tagore had the greatest admiration for...., but Tagore was also ....

Can some one please explain how this verb-tense is correct?

Does the HAD show that that there was first admiration and Then there WAS skepticism?
Is this the timeline being conveyed by the meaning of this sentence?

Dear vingmat001,
I'm happy to respond. :-)
Both verbs "had" and "was" are in the simple past tense.
The structure "he was" is the simple past tense of "he is."
The structure "he had" is the simple past tense of "he has."
Yes, the word "had" can appear as an auxiliary verb in a number of fancier tenses, such as the present perfect tense, but on its own, it's just a simple past tense of an ordinary verb.

Yesterday, I had one cat. Today, I had three. Before yesterday, I had had no cats at all.

The three sentences, respective, show the simple present, simple past, and past perfect, of the verb "to have." Obviously, the "had had" is a little awkward, even though 100% correct, so you will not see this on the GMAT.

Does all this make sense?
NUS School Moderator
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [8]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos