Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [24]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [6]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Glaciers form when the snow, sleet, and hail that fall in a [#permalink]
What is the OA?

I'm going with C since that's the only one that makes sense.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [0]
Send PM
Posting OA : its C

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
Glaciers form when the snow, sleet, and hail that fall in a given climatic region exceed the amount capable of being lost through evaporation or meting.

A. the snow, sleet, and hail that fall in a given climatic region exceed the amount capable of being
Capable of being sound wordy and redundant
B. a given climatic region's fallen snow, sleet, and hail exceeds the amount able to be
Possessive noun are not preffered , and it changes meaning
C. the amount of snow, sleet, and hail that falls in a given climatic region exceeds the amount
Correct usage of that and verb noun agreement is also met falls, exceeds metw ith amount of x,y,z
D. the snow, sleet, and hail falling in a given climatic region exceeds the amount able to be
unnecessary usage of continuous present
E. a given climatic region exceeds the amount of snow, sleet, and hail that falls and cannot be
completlet changed meaning
Consider kudos If post helps!!!!!!!

Archit

thats totally meaning based question , I liked it please post the OE
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [0]
Send PM
Sure thing i ll post the OE....Today i ll post the OE.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!

Archit
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8557 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Very good question Archit. I feel this one is GMAT like question. Does it come from OG?

I picked C because "the amount of X, Y and Z exceeds the amount lost......"

We cannot compare the snow, sleet and hail with the amount ==> A, D are out.
We cannot compare a given climatic region with the amount ==> B, E are out.

Only C is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Bookmarks
Glaciers form when the snow, sleet, and hail that fall in a given climatic region exceed the amount capable of being lost through evaporation or meting.

A. the snow, sleet, and hail that fall in a given climatic region exceed the amount capable of being ...[amount compared with snow, incorrect usage of plural in the verb]

B. a given climatic region's fallen snow, sleet, and hail exceeds the amount able to be ....[same as the first]

C. the amount of snow, sleet, and hail that falls in a given climatic region exceeds the amount [the parallelism here is correct: the amount is compared with the amount]

D. the snow, sleet, and hail falling in a given climatic region exceeds the amount able to be [again, snow is compared with amount]

E. a given climatic region exceeds the amount of snow, sleet, and hail that falls and cannot be [this one is obviously incorrect because the amount in the second tense is compared to a climatic region!]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [2]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos

A. the snow, sleet, and hail that fall in a given climatic region exceed the amount capable of being
Terribly awkward : "the amount is capable of being lost" as if the amount has a capability of its own to do something (in this case, "being lost")

B. a given climatic region's fallen snow, sleet, and hail exceeds the amount able to be
Sub (fallen snow, sleet and hail) does NOT agree in number with Verb (exceeds)

C. the amount of snow, sleet, and hail that falls in a given climatic region exceeds the amount
Perfect !! Notice the use of ellipses ....

D. the snow, sleet, and hail falling in a given climatic region exceeds the amount able to be
Sub (the snow, sleet and hail) does NOT agree in number with Verb (exceeds)

E. a given climatic region exceeds the amount of snow, sleet, and hail that falls and cannot be
Region exceeds the amount of snow, sleets and hails that falls !!!
Region illogically compared with the amount of x,y,z !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Based on the comparison, I know C is the only correct answer, yet I am still confused about what falls in the region. THE AMOUNT or SNOW, SLEET AND HAIL? According to my knowledge, the answer is SNOW, SLEET AND HAIL - snow, sleet and hail, not the amount, falls in the region. Because of the "fallS", snow, sleet and hail is thought to be singular; can I view "snow sleet and hail" as a set, like a knife and fork.

Additionally, a friend of mine faced the problem of "snow and hail" when taking exam. He chose plural.
Thx
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ChineseGMAT wrote:
Based on the comparison, I know C is the only correct answer, yet I am still confused about what falls in the region. THE AMOUNT or SNOW, SLEET AND HAIL? According to my knowledge, the answer is SNOW, SLEET AND HAIL - snow, sleet and hail, not the amount, falls in the region. Because of the "fallS", snow, sleet and hail is thought to be singular; can I view "snow sleet and hail" as a set, like a knife and fork.

Additionally, a friend of mine faced the problem of "snow and hail" when taking exam. He chose plural.
Thx

Hi ChineseGMAT ,

Welcome to GMATClub. :)

The amount of snow, sleet, and hail that falls in a given climatic region exceeds the amount

Look at the demonstrative pronoun that. It is joined with hail and is modifying the hail.

You can see that the verb used after that is plural. This confirms that we are talking about hail when we are saying "that falls in a given climatic region".

So, it is not the amount but the hail that falls.

Also, the amount exceeds is used perfectly in C. Hence, C is the best answer here.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ChineseGMAT wrote:

Thx

In my opnion, your argument makes sense. Nonetheless, in GMAT a wrong answer would generally not be distiguished from a right answer only because of such dubious issues - there would be a conclusive fault to eliminate a wrong answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:

Archit

X exceeds Y..
here x and y shud be compared properly and parallel too

ans C does it,,,,
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIM
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
ChineseGMAT wrote:

Thx

IMO, snow and sleet can be treated as -> "salt and water" that is material Noun and should be used as Singular. Hence option C makes perfect sense.

Your Kudos motivates me to put forward my view.

Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
Send PM
Glaciers form when the snow, sleet, and hail that fall in a [#permalink]
The point of this sentence is to explain the ratio of precipitation to loss of moisture that causes glaciers to form in a given climatic region. Some versions of the sentence obscure this explanation by introducing the climatic region into the ratio.

A. The phrase capable of being is excessively wordy. It introduces unnecessary ambiguity to the sentence, raising the possibility that a similar amount of water may or may not be lost through evaporation or melting. Comparison of precipitation forms with amount is illogical.
B. Able to be causes similar problems as capable of being in A. As in A, this has a similarly illogical comparison of precipitation forms.
C. Correct. This sentence makes the logical comparison between amounts of precipitation that fall and amounts that evaporate or melt.
D. The phrase able to be is wordy and ambiguous as in A and B. As in A, this has a similarly illogical comparison of precipitation forms.
E. This sentence makes the illogical comparison between a region and an amount of precipitation that falls. The verb cannot be has no logical subject. The double negative exceeds the amount that cannot be lost is confusing at best.

The correct answer is C.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:

Archit

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION - GMATPREP:

Logical predication; Idiom

The point of this sentence is to explain the ratio of precipitation to loss of moisture that causes glaciers to form in a given climatic region. Some versions of the sentence obscure this explanation by introducing the climatic region into the ratio.

A. The phrase capable of being is excessively wordy. It introduces unnecessary ambiguity to the sentence, raising the possibility that a similar amount of water may or may not be lost through evaporation or melting. Comparison of precipitation forms with amount is illogical.
B. Able to be causes similar problems as capable of being in A. As in A, this has a similarly illogical comparison of precipitation forms.
C. Correct. This sentence makes the logical comparison between amounts of precipitation that fall and amounts that evaporate or melt.
D. The phrase able to be is wordy and ambiguous as in A and B. As in A, this has a similarly illogical comparison of precipitation forms.
E. This sentence makes the illogical comparison between a region and an amount of precipitation that falls. The verb cannot be has no logical subject. The double negative exceeds the amount that cannot be lost is confusing at best.

The correct answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Experts,

I have a question on C.

Why "falls" in the sentence
"the amount of snow, sleet, and hail that falls in a given climatic region exceeds the amount" is correct?

"falls" here need to modify "snow , sleet and hail" , which are plural.
I don't think that falls should modify "amount" because it is illogical; the amount that falls ...

Please correct me.
Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Hi! I know that falls is correct in C because it refers to AMOUNT. But what about the fall in A, is it correct? I'm not sure if the THAT refers to hail only (in which case fall is incorrect) or the combo "snow,sleet and hail"
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6863 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
patto wrote:
Hi! I know that falls is correct in C because it refers to AMOUNT. But what about the fall in A, is it correct? I'm not sure if the THAT refers to hail only (in which case fall is incorrect) or the combo "snow,sleet and hail"

Hello, patto. In option (A), snow, sleet, and hail is treated as a compound subject, so fall is an appropriate verb agreement, no different from saying, The coua, fossa, and indri that are (not is) endemic to Madagascar... The article the does not alter the subject-verb agreement. Meanwhile, amount in (C) is treated as a singular entity in the sentence, so falls is an appropriate verb, as though the author were conveying information about the amount of each of these types of precipitation.

I hope that helps. If you need further clarification, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts