Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 13:03 It is currently 08 May 2024, 13:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.46
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51490 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3125 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE:Asset Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Ross (Michigan) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Folks , need some suggestion . Where and by whom do you get your essays reviewed ? Or rather do you get them reviewed by some one ? I have a first draft of the essays and was wondering where to seek some expert advice.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello chakni.,

You can check this link out free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
mohater and rexman
I have two questions for you guys.
Seems like Ross is one of the top schools that gives a lot of full tuition waiver. Businessweek claims that 13.1% of the students get full tuition waiver. Any idea about what percentage of these full tuition waivers go to the incoming students ?
https://images.businessweek.com/slidesho ... ips#slide7

Secondly, the acceptance rate at Ross is 40% which is quite high. Doesn't it hurt the quality of class when every third student applying to Ross is getting accepted ? One good thing is that with this high acceptance rate, the chances of getting through are good.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
shovitdhar wrote:
mohater and rexman
Seems like Ross is one of the top schools that gives a lot of full tuition waiver. Businessweek claims that 13.1% of the students get full tuition waiver. Any idea about what percentage of these full tuition waivers go to the incoming students ?

That seems reasonable. I know from prior readings about 1/4 to 1/3 of students get some form of funding (ranging from very little to full). I wouldn't bank on getting money as part of applying.
shovitdhar wrote:
Secondly, the acceptance rate at Ross is 40% which is quite high. Doesn't it hurt the quality of class when every third student applying to Ross is getting accepted ? One good thing is that with this high acceptance rate, the chances of getting through are good.

I looked for info on that and couldn't really validate that number. I found it on other forums and b-school publications, but nothing from the Ross website. I personally don't think it's that high, but I could be wrong. What's your source for that stat?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
shovitdhar wrote:
mohater and rexman

1) No idea. I'm not sure if that information is floating around or not but I would agree with Mohater on this one; apply as if you aren't getting any money and if you do then it's an added bonus.

2.) If you look at past years, you'll see that the 40%+ acceptance rate for the 2014 class is an anomaly. My understanding is that after adding the cosigner requirement on loans for internationals there was some uncertainty as to how that would affect yield. So to kind of counter that, acceptance rate for that year were intentionally a little higher. I wouldn't count on that happening again. Also recall that Ross just slashed its number of incoming students by about 10% (or about 50 students). I anticipate a sizable drop in acceptance numbers for the 2015 (and 2016) class.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
Send PM
mohater wrote:

I looked for info on that and couldn't really validate that number. I found it on other forums and b-school publications, but nothing from the Ross website. I personally don't think it's that high, but I could be wrong. What's your source for that stat?

My source is internet forums only. If you look at the first post of this thread-it gives data on the number of students who applied and the number of students who were accepted. The data seems quite spot on but i think the reasons rexman gave-cosignor required for international loans- could have played a part in increasing the acceptance rate.. As rexman stated with the decrease in the number of seats, the acceptance rate will come down this year..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Guys,

I will be applying to Ross 2016 as well. So count me in for the discussions on this thread.

@hamm0: thank you very much for sharing your campus visit experience. Quiet insightful!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
EssaySnark has released its first ever Ross guide! Check it out if you're ready to rock n' roll on your essays!

https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/michigan-ross-2013-strategy-guide/
VP
VP
Send PM
Application is now live!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
are there any re-applicants on here?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
agentM wrote:
@hamm0: thank you very much for sharing your campus visit experience. Quiet insightful!

You're quite welcome! Good luck!
Darden School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I've one doubt here. There is a section in the online application to mention other schools where one is applying. Is it advisable to put a couple of names..???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
amitkpandey wrote:
I've one doubt here. There is a section in the online application to mention other schools where one is applying. Is it advisable to put a couple of names..???

Don't see any harm in it. Anyway one look at your GMAT score report should tell them what schools you are applying to.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
amitkpandey wrote:

I'd just be honest. I didn't apply to Ross, but Johnson had the same thing in their application and they even ask in the interview.

IMO they ask for two reasons:

1) They want to know you're not treating them as a safety school - i.e. listing HSW signals to Ross that this is the case.
2) They want to see that you've researched programs (especially theirs) and that there's a common thread between the schools you're applying to other than rankings
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
WE:Law (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
As a Michigan alum (UG), I approve this message. :-D

As for places to stay in AA, I'd say the easiest/cost-effective thing is to look for the chain motels near the Briarwood Mall down State St. I assume you'll have use of a car, but even if not, the AATA bus system is a quick ride from there right into Central Campus.

hamm0 wrote:
amitkpandey wrote:
hamm0 wrote:
In for Round 1! I visited the campus recently, and that has helped solidify Ross' place on my application list. I highly recommend you visit if you're on the fence with applying to Ross.

May I request you to share your campus visit experience..

Boots to Suits wrote:
I’ll start by saying the Ann Arbor is a fantastic town. I have been to a few “college towns” before, and A-squared doesn’t disappoint. From the people I met to the perfect spring day to endless school spirit, Ann Arbor is a special place. Unlike my Darden visit, I don’t have any recommendations on where to stay at Ross, as I was fortunate enough to be staying with a friend for the trip, but there are a number of hotels in the area, and the campus is very walkable. I actually walked a fair amount on this visit, as I wanted to see some hotspots like Zingermans, the Big House, Burton Memorial Tower (I’m an architecture nerd), the Diag, and of course Ross.

Amongst my walkathon, I had also scheduled meetings with current students at Ross, to help me really get a feel for campus life, recruiting, and academics. True to what I had heard previously, Ross students were more than willing to go out of their way to sit down with me, and scheduling meetings was painless. Furthermore, students were more than willing to talk about Ross candidly, rather than giving me the glass-half-full perspective. Now, there wasn't too much negative said, but it was very helpful to have what seemed to be 100% honesty. The first meeting I had was with a first year student who was interning at a lower-end-bulge bracket bank – that is to say not JP Sachs, but rather something like Royal Bank of Fargo. I soon learned, that he chose this bank due to lifestyle and location constraints, not out of a lack of options. I was told that there were ~ 70 people going for banking in his class, with many receiving at least one offer. Sounds good so far. From there, we also talked about clubs and lifestyle at Ross. I was surprised to learn that he thinks most of the benefits as far as on campus recruiting come through clubs, rather than career services.. interesting. Beyond that, we chatted a bit about the culture of students there. Being a very large institution, I was curious to know how the MBAs interacted with the undergrads with whom they share a campus and a building with. From what I can tell, there is something for everyone at Ross. If you want to drink 5 nights a week and go on vacation every weekend there are people who will be there with you. Contrarily, if you’re looking to get perfect grades, end up at McKBain Group, and explore classes at a few of the other graduate schools at Michigan there will be people there with you. And obviously, if you’re looking for something more balanced, there will be plenty of MBAs along with you. One of the other things I learned from students there was that MAP is really an amazing thing. Surely you can go and read on UM’s website about the program, but hearing individual experiences of students that were in the process of finishing up their respective project was very interesting. I think MAP is a very big plus for someone who is thinking of attending Ross.

Aside from talking with the ever helpful students, I had a good bit of time to scope out the building. First things first, the building is amazing. It has 6 floors with plenty of study rooms, as well as a large atrium where many students congregate. The building is LEED bronze silver certified, which, if you’re into sustainability, you’ll find pretty cool. It’s location on campus is great, requiring short walks to the bustling Diag as well as short walks and commutes to plenty of housing. The Big House is a 10 minute walk away. Classrooms are pretty standard, with amphitheater style seating for about 50 to go along with obligatory projectors and screens. One of the downsides to me, though, is that the building is shared with undergrads. I guess when Stephen Ross donated his famous $100 million to the university, he stipulated that the building be used for undergrads, or BBa’s as they’re known at Michigan, since Mr. Ross was a BBa himself. Not that I have a problem with undergrads, I just think that if I am paying six figures in tuition, I shouldn't be fighting for study room space with a freshman. Beyond that, the lovely gym in the basement isn’t included with tuition, which just rubs me the wrong way – why art thou seeking my nickles and dimes Ross?

Finally, I had an opportunity to sit in on one of three classes as I had signed up through the Visit In Person (VIP) program. Among my choices were, and I’m paraphrasing, a tax course, corporate strategy, or global strategy. On the recommendation of a student, I decided to go see global strategy with professor Karnani. Professor Karnani did a very good job of challenging the students positions on the issue at hand, often seemingly playing one student off of another to force the students to defend their position. My one quip, however, is that out of the 50 students in class, only about a dozen participated, with another 10-20 seemingly interested in the subject at hand. Perhaps we can chalk that up to the fact that MAP was ending and students were preoccupied with that, or that it was the end of the semester, and one of their last classes. Either way, just something I noticed. To be fair, the students who were active were well spoken, and raised excellent points. I left at the break after the first hour of class, and professor Karnani informed me that the second half would be wrap up for the course, and I probably wouldn’t get too much out of it. I was more than welcomed to stay, but I took the opportunity to get a head start on my drive home.

In conclusion, I had a really good visit at Ross. While I won’t go into ranking my preferences, I am certain Ross deserves a spot in my first round application list. While the school is different from Darden, it isn’t different in a bad way. There is a lot going for the program, and it is definitely somewhere I would be thrilled to attend. If you are at all thinking about applying, and able to get to Ann Arbor, DO IT. I’m not sure what the impact would be on your application, but visiting always provides you some essay fodder through interactions with staff and students. Furthermore, seeing the campus really helps you figure out if it is a good fit for you. After all, it is 2 years of your life that you will be spending here, you had better make sure you’re OK with it.

Overall, I had a very positive visit, and it helped solidify my choice to apply there.

Originally posted by ProleFeed13 on 31 Jul 2013, 23:25.
Last edited by ProleFeed13 on 02 Aug 2013, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
sgrunt wrote:

Yup, I applied in 2012 and was rejected. Giving it another shot this year! Fingers crossed...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
Send PM
saidba wrote:
sgrunt wrote:

Yup, I applied in 2012 and was rejected. Giving it another shot this year! Fingers crossed...

Going from 610 to 690 on the GMAT I anticipate you'll have considerably better luck :P

Good luck
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  47   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts