Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:13 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.34
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Just got my admittance letter. Really psyched.
Sent in my application on 1/9, invited to interview on 02/19, interviewed 3/6, admitted 3/17.

Good luck to all applicants!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anybody going to Stern Preview Weekend on April 5th - 6th? What hotel are you planning to stay at?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mbaapp14 wrote:
Anybody going to Stern Preview Weekend on April 5th - 6th? What hotel are you planning to stay at?

I'm definitely attending the event, but I'm not sure yet where I want to stay. There is no shortage of options, that's for certain. I'll probably end up booking whatever I can cover with points. I plan to also stay in town that Monday so I can do some touristy stuff and look at apartments after the event ends Sunday.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Has anyone who interviewed during the Stern Diversity interview weekend heard back? Especially if you applied through the Consortium?

Had my interview 3/1, and the deadline for final notification is Saturday (3 weeks out).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PlacePhraseHere wrote:
mbaapp14 wrote:

I'm definitely attending the event, but I'm not sure yet where I want to stay. There is no shortage of options, that's for certain. I'll probably end up booking whatever I can cover with points. I plan to also stay in town that Monday so I can do some touristy stuff and look at apartments after the event ends Sunday.

Yeah I wish I have enough points to cover. Prices aren't cheap (the cheapest seems to be around $251/night at couple of hotels). So I'm guessing you're attending in the fall since you're doing apartment searching?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
If we haven't heard anything at this point of R3 waiting period, does it mean it is over for us? Does anyone know if a significant number of applicants are still invited to interviews during the final weeks?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaapp14 wrote:
PlacePhraseHere wrote:
mbaapp14 wrote:

Yeah I wish I have enough points to cover. Prices aren't cheap (the cheapest seems to be around $251/night at couple of hotels). So I'm guessing you're attending in the fall since you're doing apartment searching?

Its highly likely I'll attend. Barring a sizable scholarship from the others I'm waiting to hear from, Stern is my best choice.

I've been mulling the thought of attending for a while and have tried to come up with a pros and cons set. For me:

Pros:
  • Strong quant focus in the education due to stellar professors in the topic (including adjunct professors)
  • Finance strength that gets it mentioned alongside Wharton, Chicago, and Columbia in the category
  • Financial institution recruiters recognize the name and come to campus for sell-side positions (not as much buy-side)
  • Uses cases, lectures, simulations equally.
  • NYC location allows access to an infinite number of recruiting events, all typically within 15 minutes of campus
  • I've always wanted to spend some part of my life in NYC
  • Small full-time class size works well for camaraderie, while the large part-time MBA pool allows for wide reach of MBA name to tap into
  • Typically floats around the bottom of the US top 10 MBA rankings lists
  • General belief that the Dean has the school on the right track
  • School has ability to be selective and bring in excellent students due to location and improving prestige (virtuous cycle)

Cons:
  • Perhaps too NYC focused, both in curriculum and recruiting (which frankly isn't that bad of a problem)
  • Name doesn't carry internationally, though it is improving
  • The number of part-time Stern MBAs might dilute the importance of Stern full-time MBA on my resume
  • Relative weakness compared to other top 10 in other popular MBA career tracks that I'm not that interested in or couldn't get with my pre-MBA work experience (management consulting, private equity)

I'm pretty convinced its the right school for me. I probably could spend another 2 years to better gear myself to maybe get into Wharton or Chicago (only 3.5yrs experience now), but I don't think the benefit would be significant enough to warrant spending 2 more years on it.

So I've started my search. I've tried to narrow down the neighborhoods I'm looking at, and currently I'm leaning towards Chelsea, Tribeca, and East Village.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@PlacePhraseHere

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. Top 10 school (ranked 9, 10, 11, 10, 10 in last five years by USNWRS) with a strong finance reputation. Based on my research, management consulting may not be the best but is pretty strong outside of MBB (Deloitte/Accenture/IBM, etc). I do think it has a solid international brand though, maybe because it's in NYC but a bunch of my international friends said the school is known in their countries.

Those are good neighborhoods. If I decide to go, I would also look at Little Italy/Chinatown area due to the price. Heard it's relatively cheap for NYC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys - I got my acceptance letter yesterday! My timeline is:

Applied 12/3
Interview Invite: Mid Feb
Interview 03/10
Accepted: 03/19

I'm pretty anxious about funding/loans/scholarships - for those of you already accepted, please can you tell me how long it was before you got your mailed acceptance package? (I'm international so it may take a bit longer but good to have an idea whether it will be days or weeks!)

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Schools: Stern '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
hsks123 wrote:

Applied 12/3
Interview 03/10

I'm pretty anxious about funding/loans/scholarships - for those of you already accepted, please can you tell me how long it was before you got your mailed acceptance package? (I'm international so it may take a bit longer but good to have an idea whether it will be days or weeks!)

Thanks!

Congrats! The admissions package is sent via UPS, so you'll receive it within a few days. I'm an international student too and I'm having no luck securing the funding required for the program through Stern's financial aid program. Luckily, I'll be able to cover the majority of the program costs, but I still require a sizable loan. I'll have to obtain this loan through a bank in my home country (Canada). I just need the american dollar to stop gaining strength!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.34
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
ZenGuy wrote:
If we haven't heard anything at this point of R3 waiting period, does it mean it is over for us? Does anyone know if a significant number of applicants are still invited to interviews during the final weeks?

Yeah same here, have not heard anything. But based on their facebook group, they are far more than filling up their coming class (currently only 117 members) in the group. So let's keep our finger crosses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Also waiting on the admissions package after an acceptance on Monday. Not getting my hopes up but some financial help would be really really nice. Looking forward to meeting some of you in the fall! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaapp14 wrote:

Ended up booking at the Westin Grand Central using Starwoods points, but just in case anyone is still looking, NYU provides access to discounts at Manhattan hotels.

How good those discounts compared to normal rates, I don't know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q46 V51
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
hsks123 wrote:

Applied 12/3
Interview 03/10

Thanks!

The UPS package arrived on the 4th day for me in India. I got the Stern email on Thursday night (local time) and the letter was delivered by Monday afty
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Since Stern has rolling admissions, are the deposit deadline dates different for everyone? I'm 90% sure I will choose Stern, but kind of want to attend an admit weekend at another school to be certain. The admit weekend is 3 days after my Stern deposit deadline... does anyone know if Stern admissions would have any flexibility with that date?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM NYU Stern Admissions Blog: DBi Italy
So I’ve been back in the country for less than 48 hours. No, I’m not complaining. Rather, I’m still marveling over my trip to Milan, Cinque Terre, and Florence. Over Read More
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Any movement from any R2er's on the waitlist? (Interviewed or no)?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts