Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 09:43 It is currently 21 May 2024, 09:43
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT Date: 01-09-2014
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: How to improve your quant from Q44 to Q50? [#permalink]
OP suggests:

Boost your confidence. My suggestion - do questions again and again, until you can do, in time, without guessing and providing full answers, until you can do a full test (37 questions of various difficulty) with no more then 2-5 mistakes.

I am trying to crack a habit of making silly mistakes. With the recommendation above - are you suggesting to use fresh questions for this exercise - as one will run out of questions pretty quickly using this process.

I have purchased Jeff Sackman questions for this process and am tracking my results using them. So far I am still getting about 10 mistakes on each session however. Trying to get that down to the 2-5 mistakes.

Any other sources for good questions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
HI BB,

Really appreciate the information.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
I have a question about the GMAT Club tests. At one point, the post says common mistakes include "Concentrating on advanced concepts and hard questions" but then one of the recommendations says to try GMAT Club tests which are apparently exceptionally hard?

I'm trying to improve from Q44 to Q47 (been stuck at Q44 for 3 months) but have recently dropped to Q42. I'm planning to refocus on the basics but am curious about GMATClub tests as I've read a few posts on here about how they are a "must" for improving quant.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73299 [0]
Given Kudos: 19001
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
lmariesf wrote:
I have a question about the GMAT Club tests. At one point, the post says common mistakes include "Concentrating on advanced concepts and hard questions" but then one of the recommendations says to try GMAT Club tests which are apparently exceptionally hard?

I'm trying to improve from Q44 to Q47 (been stuck at Q44 for 3 months) but have recently dropped to Q42. I'm planning to refocus on the basics but am curious about GMATClub tests as I've read a few posts on here about how they are a "must" for improving quant.

Thanks!

Sorry about the confusion. I would say stay away if you just want to get to the Q47.
You will end up much deeper and further than where you need to be, so focus on the basics within the limited time. They will shake your confidence and probably not something you are looking for at this time.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
My Q fluctuates by quite a bit

38-50

Is this normal? Anything I'm doing wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi BB,
i just gave my GMAT to day and scored 640 ( q44,V34). Please suggest me a strategy on how to improve my score in quant to 49 and verbal to 39. My target score is 710 +. Also this is my third attempt , i attempted twice before in quick succession 4 years back, and the 640 that i got is exact replica of my recent GMAT Prep Practice tests. To add more, i have access to manhattan tests which i found hard to do as i was never able to finish all the question on time both in verbal and quant. I never managed to get more than 600 in any of the manhattan tests.

Please provide me a solution for how to increase my score as i have to , have to get this score of 710+.

i am planning to retake my Exam in another 1 month but it still depends on my strategy .

Will really appreciate your help on this.

i purchased GMAT Club tests some weeks before my tests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 375
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
Send PM
Hi,
I wrote my GMAT yesterday and got 39 in Quants . I was scoring around 44 regularly in my mock test.
To improve is the following strategy all right ?
- Make list of topics I hate/Hope I dont see on the exam -(DS-inequality,X y questions in which one needs to plug in )
-Solve last 50 questions of OG.

Is there anything else I need to do ? Take up the gmat club test maybe ?
My target for quants is 48-49

Thanks in advance
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
bhatiavai wrote:
Hi,
I wrote my GMAT yesterday and got 39 in Quants . I was scoring around 44 regularly in my mock test.
To improve is the following strategy all right ?
- Make list of topics I hate/Hope I dont see on the exam -(DS-inequality,X y questions in which one needs to plug in )
-Solve last 50 questions of OG.

Is there anything else I need to do ? Take up the gmat club test maybe ?
My target for quants is 48-49

Thanks in advance

Hi. It depends.... Do you know what causes you to get a lower Q score? is it time, careless mistakes, lack of some of the concepts, or lack of applying the principles?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi bb,

I guess its due to lack of time and careless mistakes.
I went through my mock test and found that at times I tend to spend too much time on a particular question..Generally DS questions where one needs to Plug in values.
Also on some questions I would form equations and just get lost in the middle ....
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73299 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bhatiavai wrote:
Hi bb,

I guess its due to lack of time and careless mistakes.
I went through my mock test and found that at times I tend to spend too much time on a particular question..Generally DS questions where one needs to Plug in values.
Also on some questions I would form equations and just get lost in the middle ....

Everyone reaches a certain limit as to the speed (everyone will fall behind and be unable to solve some questions). The key is recognizing how to maximize your time and figuring out what questions you have to just give up on and what will be worth spending 2.5 mins on.

My suggestions would be to focus on the questions and the types you take longer on and see if you can speed yourself up. Try to solve them in 20-30% less time. Create extra stress for yourself. Also, for any questions you get lost with - I had the same issue with groups questions (both, neither, group1, group2). I just memorized blindly a question and a solution and if had this question on my test, I would just write out what I memorized and plug in the new values and it was done without requiring any thinking or wrangling with my mind.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Many thanks for the Suggestions. I will try to solve questions within 1.5 mins. Will try it out for 1-2 weeks and let you know how things are working out.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the post ... its very helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Im currently going through the MGMAT books for a second(maybe third time) and feel quite okay about the concepts, but when I go do the 500 level questions, I get more than 70% incorrect. Its like I miss all the theory possible, I feel like I barely apply any theory to any questions what so ever, because I'm just a big question mark to every question.

What I usually do is go over a problem here on the forum, most likely don't get it right -> check the answer and try to understand the steps done --> "okay, that makes sense, I understand how to solve this one".

Then I get to the next question, and the entire sequence just repeats..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
An amazing study plan. It helped me improve from Q44 to Q48. Thanks so much for creating this post and this community.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Added a link to the Math Revolution's Guide for Q49 to Q51: the-ultimate-q51-guide-209801.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
when i make same mistakes again and again
which one is better i try to solve similar question again or i just review the concept again??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello!

I want to ask this, I took my first GMAT mock test today scoring 650 ( Q46, V34). I'm presenting the test in a month and I want to try and score 710+.

Is it feasible? I want to set realistic expectations, It's true that I had timing issues, Q 32-37 were random and I got lucky with 2 right, same for the last 6-7 Qs in Verbal. I Feel like I can improve on my timing with more practice, but is a 60+ improvement in a month at a such high curve possible?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3