Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 07:25 It is currently 19 May 2024, 07:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Hi
I am non IT enginner with good acads and extra curricular activities with 7 yrs industrial experience in power sector in operations. Is ISB will consider my profile as my work ex is bit more. And also please suggest me my target GMAT score should be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
For ISB, you wont be required to scale your GPA to 4.0 and can directly report the percentage or GPA on 10 point scale.

For a general discussion on the matter, see how-to-convert-indian-gpa-percentage-to-us-4-pt-gpa-scale-124249.html

ankurgupta03 wrote:

Dear All

What are the different feasible post ISB job roles/opportunities a typical 4-5 years IT candidate gets to interview for. I am specifically looking for roles that candidates get placed in with this particular experience bracket(4-5 years in IT) and who concentrate on IT management majors, along with finance/marketing as one major in the PGP program. Can you throw some light on this pls?

Also, in the case of profiles with only technical experience and no management experience, How difficult is it to convert a product development/product management (ex: Analytics, BI etc) role in a typical industry post ISB? ..in this case Does it help if one is technically certified or hurt the chances of landing the role if not certified in one's technologies.

sorry about the length and detail and the typos and the grammar!
Thank you :)
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
schazamhuzzah wrote:
Dear All

What are the different feasible post ISB job roles/opportunities a typical 4-5 years IT candidate gets to interview for. I am specifically looking for roles that candidates get placed in with this particular experience bracket(4-5 years in IT) and who concentrate on IT management majors, along with finance/marketing as one major in the PGP program. Can you throw some light on this pls?

Also, in the case of profiles with only technical experience and no management experience, How difficult is it to convert a product development/product management (ex: Analytics, BI etc) role in a typical industry post ISB? ..in this case Does it help if one is technically certified or hurt the chances of landing the role if not certified in one's technologies.

sorry about the length and detail and the typos and the grammar!
Thank you :)

Dear schazamhuzzah! 4-5yrs of IT experience is one of the most common profiles at ISB and we have seen people with this profile moving to areas as varied as Consulting, Pharma, Finance and Ecommerce. Moving to a Product Management role after your MBA from ISB will be one of the easiest transitions. You do not need to worry about any additional certifications at this point. Just focus on your GMAT and ISB application and things will be smooth thereafter.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'
https://www.isbmantra.com/people.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ISBmantra wrote:

Dear schazamhuzzah! 4-5yrs of IT experience is one of the most common profiles at ISB and we have seen people with this profile moving to areas as varied as Consulting, Pharma, Finance and Ecommerce. Moving to a Product Management role after your MBA from ISB will be one of the easiest transitions. You do not need to worry about any additional certifications at this point. Just focus on your GMAT and ISB application and things will be smooth thereafter.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'

Dear ISBmantra

Thank you for taking this up. Also can you pls throw some light on different LDPs that recruit ISB graduates and how exclusive they are in their selection (number of slots). Do you have any general information on this pls?

Thanks!
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
schazamhuzzah wrote:
ISBmantra wrote:

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'

Dear ISBmantra

Thank you for taking this up. Also can you pls throw some light on different LDPs that recruit ISB graduates and how exclusive they are in their selection (number of slots). Do you have any general information on this pls?

Thanks!

There are several of them such as Novartis, Citibank, Dupont, Philips, Microsoft etc. But there is no generic stats on that as such.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ISBmantra wrote:
schazamhuzzah wrote:
ISBmantra wrote:

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'

Dear ISBmantra

Thanks!

There are several of them such as Novartis, Citibank, Dupont, Philips, Microsoft etc. But there is no generic stats on that as such.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'

ISBmantra, thank you for the information
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

I am just beginning my college surveys and I wanted to know if ISB provided IMBA courses.

Thanks in Advance
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
Expert Reply
swagnikb wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
swagnikb wrote:
Hi,

I have scored 710 on my first attempt at GMAT(Q51 V34) and aiming for ISB. However I have a GPA of only 2.8. Other than that I have engineering background from IIT and good 10 12 marks. Do you think I have a chance in getting a call and converting it due to my low GPA? Or do I need to score more to compensate it? I have 3 years work ex in consulting.

Given your background, I think you are good to go and there is no need for the retake.
Higher GMAT scores are typically needed for the people from the IT backgrounds.
You have many differentiating factors already. IIT brand, work ex in consulting. Focus on the application now.

Also, what is your CGPA on the scale of 10?
I think by putting it as 2.8, your being too harsh on yourself :P :)

Hi,

It is 7 so I multiplied it by 0.4. I couldn't find any logical way of converting the cgpa on a scale of 4. :P

Also, at what stage of the 1 year course does the placement take place. Is it done taking the ISB GPA into consideration at the end or is it done taking GMAT score and other acads into account? I want to know what is the initial filtering criteria during these placements.

Regards
Swagnik

You are not required to convert, so don't do it. Even the US b-schools don't ask you to convert your score to a 4 point scale.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
AakashAggy wrote:
Hi,

Can someone here help to evaluate my profile?

GMAT: 680
Work ex: 2 years (3 by next year feb) in a good international consulting firm (but in India only. No international experience). Have worked with many clients in many industries. I have worked with managers and in one case even the Director of one of my clients. Does that help?
Studies: Engg from a top 10 engineering college (non-IIT). First class (65%)
Extra curricular: Very good. Part of many college societies, part of tech fest, and also have some ngo experience after college.

My questions are:
1. I know my GMAT score is below average for ISB, but my question is, can this score work for anybody at all? Or should I retake only?
2. Will not having distinction in college matter?
3. Is 2 years experience so far too less to apply?
4. If I ask my boss for reco, he will come to know I am applying. So if I do not get an admit, that might affect my promotion at my workplace (I am due for promotion this year). What can I do, if anything at all?

Thanking you in advance.

Hi Akash,

Your overall profile is fine, but we would recommend that you raise your GMAT score to 700+ to give yourself a better chance.

1. Although a GMAT score of 680 can certainly work (saying this on the basis of clients in previous years who have got through with this, and a little lower scores as well), if you can raise it to a 700 or above, do so.
2. No, that's ok. Having a distinction can help, but not having one does not mean that you cannot get in.
3. No, it is not. 2 years is the minimum that ISB requires, and many people have 2-3 years of experience when applying.
4. This can be an issue with many applicants. Browse through this thread for suggestions on a similar issue given by ankurgupta03. In general, some options available to you are to seek a recommendation from a client, or from some other manager you may have worked with in the past (or are working with now). Be aware though that even if you do so, you will need to keep the said person in strict confidence, else your manager/boss might still come to know. Sometimes, it is best to let your boss know upfront and talk through how you are planning things (and that you are committed to work to your best ability even as you apply) because the consequences can be worse if he/she comes to know through other channels. We will let you take a call on that according to your circumstances, though.

Thank you for all of your help and your suggestions, and especially on number 4. Will consider as you recommend. Good point on number 4, I think is best to share my plans with my manager.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hey Everyone,
I would be really thankful to you all if you could just let me know where I stand.

GMAT score - 730(Q50 V38)
Btech - 55 percent from a pretty normal college and I took an extra year to complete it.
Class 12th - 80%

Work Ex - At present I have 3 years of experience in banking operations that includes 2 years in Barclays as a frontline banker working on email and telephone platform. I am currently an analyst at american express banking corporation.

I have been working with a world renowned NGO for over an year now and have helped them in various projects for which they are will to fill any recommendations for me.

I have played zonal level football in the past as well.

Please let e know if I stand a chance and also where else should I try. I am considering my options in US, Canada and India atm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Just to make it more clear my degree is from 2008 - 2012, however I did not complete all exams on time and my transcripts reflect that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi,
can anyone clear my doubt @ letter of recommendation.
Due to some reason I have to resign from my job. and I am planning to apply for 2016 intake,so it would be right to get letter of recommendation now from my employer??

Please Suggest...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
mudita207 wrote:
Hi,
can anyone clear my doubt @ letter of recommendation.
Due to some reason I have to resign from my job. and I am planning to apply for 2016 intake,so it would be right to get letter of recommendation now from my employer??

Please Suggest...

Hi,

You can very well take the LOR from your previous employer/manager.
So if you want you can take it now, or you can take it at the time of application citing the reference as previous manager
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Revenge2014 wrote:
Hi, In for R1.Got declined last time.Happy to help in case of any queries !!
ankurgupta03: Thanks for all the help in past season. Just a curious question, So are you going to give an attempt this year as well?

Hey,

You are welcome and thanks a lot for coming forward to help :)
I have decided not to join Tepper and will be reapplying this year as well. Lets see how it goes this time around.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1592 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
deepakahuja090390 wrote:
Hey Everyone,
I would be really thankful to you all if you could just let me know where I stand.

Btech - 55 percent from a pretty normal college and I took an extra year to complete it.
Class 12th - 80%

Work Ex - At present I have 3 years of experience in banking operations that includes 2 years in Barclays as a frontline banker working on email and telephone platform. I am currently an analyst at american express banking corporation.

I have been working with a world renowned NGO for over an year now and have helped them in various projects for which they are will to fill any recommendations for me.

I have played zonal level football in the past as well.

Please let e know if I stand a chance and also where else should I try. I am considering my options in US, Canada and India atm.

Hi Deepak,

With a 730 on the GMAT, you definitely have more than a foot in the door for ISB. Your college academics do set you back somewhat, but nothing that will get you rejected there. Of course, you should ensure that you explain this in the optional essay. Work-ex and ECA seem good. On the recommendations, try and get professional ones if possible than one from the NGO.

Apart from ISB, there aren't too many other great options to consider for the moment. The IIM executive programs will require more experience and so will the XLRI PGDM (GM).

Feel free to ask further on this or to come back with any new questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
h

Originally posted by deepakahuja090390 on 11 May 2015, 06:01.
Last edited by deepakahuja090390 on 22 Oct 2015, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
Expert Reply
deepakahuja090390 wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Class 12th - 80%

Hi Deepak,

You have a nice GMAT score. But your undergrad result is not good and you may have to clarify the gap- the extra time that you took to complete some subjects. Infact you may be better off making a mention of this in the optional essay.

Other than this, your work profile is good. Focus upon the leadership aspect of work. B-schools care a lot to know what impact have you created - what things/ systems/ processes did you make better at work and in your volunteering activity.

Also work upon your career goals - showing career progression and a solid understanding of your career aspirations will all go towards showing you as a matured applicant.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts