Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 02-03-2014
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
lukeofalltrades wrote:
This is for those who applied last year. Has anyone received feedbacks ?

Not yet !! :(

Hoping to get soon.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
lukeofalltrades wrote:

Nope ... Nothing here as well ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:
lukeofalltrades wrote:

Nope ... Nothing here as well ...

I was at an infosession yesterday. Nidhi Reddy, informed that they will be starting with the feedback sessions only in early July. With all the misinformation floating around (I was myself told on email by ISB, when I wrote in, that feedback sessions will start in June 1st week), I wouldn't bet on anything.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

I was at an infosession yesterday. Nidhi Reddy, informed that they will be starting with the feedback sessions only in early July. With all the misinformation floating around (I was myself told on email by ISB, when I wrote in, that feedback sessions will start in June 1st week), I wouldn't bet on anything.

At the info session that happened here in Hyderbad, it was told that the feedback calls will start from 1st June ...
For all those seeking feedback, I think its better to mail them and ask for the dates.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
I had emailed in may. They said 1st week of June. Haven't heard anything yet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,
I have a GMAT score of 700. 4 years of professional experience including 2.5 years of international experience in oil and gas industry. Additionally 1 year of startup experience. Is it a profile good enough to apply at ISB ? My nationality is Indian.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu_jain wrote:
Hi,
I have a GMAT score of 700. 4 years of professional experience including 2.5 years of international experience in oil and gas industry. Additionally 1 year of startup experience. Is it a profile good enough to apply at ISB ? My nationality is Indian.

Hi Himanshu,

Go ahead and apply!

Just be sure to mention your career goals concisely and also explain your need for an MBA from ISB.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu_jain wrote:
Hi,

Hi Himanshu,

You may certainly apply to ISB, and with your oil and gas experience, there should be good differentiating factors that you can create for yourself. The startup experience needs to be played well. But with just a 700, you would rather create some backup options as well. With your profile you will be able to target some very good international programs, and if you are lucky enough to get a scholarship, you will be in a very good position to choose what you want.

All the Best!

'ISBmantra /EssaySunday Consulting'

https://www.isbmantra.com

[Work with a Consultant from your field. Choose from our 30+ Alumni-Consultants from different roles & industries]

Watch our clients speak : https://youtu.be/S4iMb-NYb6Y
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks to all the guys out here who are helping folks like me with their queries. Kudos!

I am an engineer from an NIT with a GPA of 7/10 (I thinks that's going to hurt me). I have been working for 4 years in the IT sector. However, I was working as a business analyst and of late as a functional consultant. I have decent to good extra-curriculars. (Sports - National Level Table-Tennis; Organizational Skills - Central Co-ordinator of College cultural fest; Secretary of a volunteer club)
I gave my GMAT in April and got 720 (Q51 V36). I am giving the GMAT again in August just to boost that verbal score.

Can someone please advise if I shall target R1 deadlines or R2. Will it be rushing the application process too much if I target R1?
Also, any comments on profile and chances are welcome. :)

Thanks!
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
padhy02 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks to all the guys out here who are helping folks like me with their queries. Kudos!

I am an engineer from an NIT with a GPA of 7/10 (I thinks that's going to hurt me). I have been working for 4 years in the IT sector. However, I was working as a business analyst and of late as a functional consultant. I have decent to good extra-curriculars. (Sports - National Level Table-Tennis; Organizational Skills - Central Co-ordinator of College cultural fest; Secretary of a volunteer club)
I gave my GMAT in April and got 720 (Q51 V36). I am giving the GMAT again in August just to boost that verbal score.

Can someone please advise if I shall target R1 deadlines or R2. Will it be rushing the application process too much if I target R1?
Also, any comments on profile and chances are welcome. :)

Thanks!

Hi padhy02! Your profile looks decent. Now that you have a 720, you should start working on your application. You may work on your GMAT simultaneously, but if you intend to apply to other schools as well, starting after August may be slightly late. You should certainly target R1 given that you are well set with a safe GMAT score. In case you are applying to ISB only, then it may be ok to start after your second GMAT, but we strongly recommend that you explore other options as well.

All the Best!

[Work with a Consultant from your field. Choose from our 30+ Alumni-Consultants from different roles & industries]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Does ISB give interview calls on a first come first serve basis or all calls will be sent together after the R1 deadline of 15th Oct 2015?
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
shakib143 wrote:
Does ISB give interview calls on a first come first serve basis or all calls will be sent together after the R1 deadline of 15th Oct 2015?

Hi shakib143! All interview calls are given only after the R1 dealine, but not on a particular day. Calls are released over a period of about 30 days and a candidate gets about 7-10 days notice.

All the Best!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,
This club rocks helping people like me to decide what needs to be done when we are in a dilemma.KUDOS!!!!!!

Gave the GMAT and scored 720. My GPA is 8.2 and I have done my engineering in IT. I currently have a work ex of 28 months in Reporting domain in the IT Industry. I am targeting ISB Class of 2016. Is there a need for me to give the GMAT again?

Should I target R1 or R2 deadlines?

I am also thinking of applying to HARVARD,STANFORD,Wharton and INSEAD?
So what needs to be done further so that I can be more competitive than others?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hello Guys,

I am in a bit of a dilemma, so need your advice. First, a little background on my profile-

10th - 90% ( CBSE)
12th - 87% (CBSE)

UnderGrad- Engineering , NIT Allahabad - 7.3/10 ( Was awarded merit scholarship in my first year for having the best admit rank in my department. But my performance hasn't been great as such :( Grading was strict and ended up in the top 30%. Have one "D" as well :oops: )

Will have a work-ex of about 5 years when I matriculate next year. Currently working as a Senior Integration Engineer in Sony ( have worked for Sony Pictures as well as Sony electronics).

GMAT - 760 ( Quant - 51 , Verbal - 42)

Have taken certification courses in Micro, Macro-economics, Accounting, Financial analysis , corporate finance etc under institutes such as Wharton, Univ of Illinois, Melbourne University etc. Have also taken CFA and FRM certification exams and have cleared Level1 of both to address my average GPA and to prove that I can do well in Quant related courses. ( Also have interest in Finance)

1. My question is should I address my GPA issue in the optional essay for ISB. Will it be advisable or will it attract undue negative attention to a weak aspect of my profile?
2. I do not have work-exp in finance but have interest and would want to switch to finance domain through my MBA. So is it advisable to pitch in for finance in my essays as my post MBA goal or should I go in-line with my work-ex and pitch for product management as my post MBA goal?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
First of all, Congrats on an awesome GMAT score. You have nailed it and your application will definitely carry a lot of weight because of your GMAT score. Now coming to the core issue

1) I don't think you need to justify your GPA, as it isn't below average even though it's not a stellar one. There will be aspects of your application which will be extraordinary, good and average. Do try to see your application in the best light possible, but do not brag about stuff which you cannot justify or have no connection with. It's always best to be honest about your accomplishments and achievements. This also means that do not try to overemphasise the average part of your application as they really are not shady parts of your application but a mental creation of black spot in your mind. So do not stress yourself with a 7.3. I would say that until you are not in the 6 point zone, it's a safe gpa which needn't be highlighted. You can rather focus on anything extraordinary you might have done in your college days. That will indirectly address your fears without bringing your GPA to the fore front.

2) Coming to your second and the most important issue, first you need to check if ISB has a goals essay. If yes, let me directly point this out. You have listed N number of courses related to finance. If you portray product management, you will be first facing a challenge to actually justify what has FRM and CFA got to do with product management. Second, you need to have a clarity on what exactly you want to do post MBA. You don't seem to look like a guy who is into tech and product management. So get your priorities straight. If you want to leverage your courses and certifications, you need to think of a story in the lines of your interest. Maybe you can play the angle of finance and risk management in a tech related company. So get your goals sorted for the sake of your future and not just for the sake of getting into a college. If that's clear, each of the bschools will be just a step away.

Happy Writing. All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Thnx a lot Anubhav for that most awesum feedback! :evil:
Nonetheless, will try to incorporate whatever points you have mentioned. All the best to you too. :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
bcool11 wrote:
Hi,
This club rocks helping people like me to decide what needs to be done when we are in a dilemma.KUDOS!!!!!!

Gave the GMAT and scored 720. My GPA is 8.2 and I have done my engineering in IT. I currently have a work ex of 28 months in Reporting domain in the IT Industry. I am targeting ISB Class of 2016. Is there a need for me to give the GMAT again?

Should I target R1 or R2 deadlines?

I am also thinking of applying to HARVARD,STANFORD,Wharton and INSEAD?
So what needs to be done further so that I can be more competitive than others?

Your GMAT is alright for ISB. f you plan to apply to the US top 10 b-schools, then a higher GMAT score will help. While you are applying to Harvard and Stanford, do add some other b-schools to the mix, as these two are extremely selective
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts