It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 21:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Schools: ISB '17 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 08:19
MBADecoder wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
shazam1234 wrote:
Hello,

Hello Namita ,

Thank you for your quick reply.

About My work ex:
Joined as trainee, stood 2nd in the batch of 500 students hense was chosen for R&D unit.
Was promoted to senoir system engineer in within 1 year.
Expecting next promotion this october before applying to ISB

I have worked on a messaging system product which is used across Infosys to reduce time to market for other products.
Here my responsiblities were quick proof of concepts and then actual implementation.

I worked as lead engineer on a demo for an infy tech symposium which has attacted few clients. I conceptualized, designed and coded the major part of demo.
I am currently working on a POC which is direct consequence of that demo.

I work on all the latest technologies such as google glass, healthbands as part of small core team and have regular interactions with higher management and take part in design discussion for the product POC.

sadly I don't have any internal awards. will this experience help me differentiate my profile?
if not what is missing?

kindly help.

Shazam,

BTW, is your GMAT Club handle anything to do with that brilliant app which helps you discover song names?

So, I see some good work you have done at Infy! Two promotions in 3.5 years is not bad at all. You have worked on a lot of cutting edge technology - you will have to make this relevant in your essays- link this to you initiation / innovation/ willingness to learn streak. Emphasize how these personal qualities have made you an integral part of the discussion.

So to sum up, I don't think you are missing anything per se. But competition is tough for you dude! You are still an Infy guy. Submitting a very strong application is still going to be the key to success.

Play your cards well and reach out if you want help :)

Hello Namita,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I know with my IT background and average GMAT score of 720, its P3 bucket(a.k.a Davy Jones Locker) for me.
I thought a super duper GMAT score(750+) might help me get into P1 bucket, which is why I asked about retaking the GMAT.
will take your advice and try to put strong application rest is as they say "deo volente".

P.S. Shazam is a reference to DC comic superhero Shazam and not the app.

Thank you!!!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 11:17
shazam1234 wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:

Shazam,

BTW, is your GMAT Club handle anything to do with that brilliant app which helps you discover song names?

So, I see some good work you have done at Infy! Two promotions in 3.5 years is not bad at all. You have worked on a lot of cutting edge technology - you will have to make this relevant in your essays- link this to you initiation / innovation/ willingness to learn streak. Emphasize how these personal qualities have made you an integral part of the discussion.

So to sum up, I don't think you are missing anything per se. But competition is tough for you dude! You are still an Infy guy. Submitting a very strong application is still going to be the key to success.

Play your cards well and reach out if you want help :)

Hello Namita,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I know with my IT background and average GMAT score of 720, its P3 bucket(a.k.a Davy Jones Locker) for me.
I thought a super duper GMAT score(750+) might help me get into P1 bucket, which is why I asked about retaking the GMAT.
will take your advice and try to put strong application rest is as they say "deo volente".

P.S. Shazam is a reference to DC comic superhero Shazam and not the app.

Thank you!!!

Scores are not the only thing.

ISB Ding with 760 :(

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 278

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V43
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 07:58
Hi,

I have scored 670 (Q49, V31) on GMAT and aiming for ISB 2016 intake.
I have close to 7 years of work ex in IT and a GPA of 4.0
Can someone guide me whether I should go ahead with this score or consider retaking GMAT?

Shilpa

When you believe you can, you are almost half-way there.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 278

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 22:14
Shilpa77 wrote:
Hi,

Can someone guide me whether I should go ahead with this score or consider retaking GMAT?

Shilpa

Shilpa,

Your work experience compensates for your score somewhat, but as an IT applicant, you would still improve your chances through a retake. If you can, go for a retake. In case you cannot, or in case the retake does not yield a higher score, you may still have a chance with your current score, but we would be able to take a better call on it with more information on your profile. All the best and feel free to come back with more questions.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 22:24
GyanOne wrote:
Shilpa77 wrote:
Hi,

Shilpa

Shilpa,

Your work experience compensates for your score somewhat, but as an IT applicant, you would still improve your chances through a retake. If you can, go for a retake. In case you cannot, or in case the retake does not yield a higher score, you may still have a chance with your current score, but we would be able to take a better call on it with more information on your profile. All the best and feel free to come back with more questions.

I guess high work ex is a contention of marketibility aspect of the high work ex candiates. I think high work ex is a disadvantage in ISB.
Again my personal view. I have 8.7 years and 760 when I applied to ISB last year Round 2.

Shilpa77 : I will suggest you to be realistic and apply to IIM A/IIMB and IIMC. Those courses are more suited for high work ex as you have. And for IIMs, I guess you have a lower score. I got a reject from IIMA with a score of 680 (my previous score).

All the best.

P.S. Do go through my application experience which might give you some pointers. All the best.
P.P.S : I had the best interview in ISB of all the interviews I attended.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 02-03-2014
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 21:58
This is for those who applied last year. Has anyone received feedbacks ?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 22:06
lukeofalltrades wrote:

Not yet !! :(

Hoping to get soon.

Thanks,
Kinjal

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1317 [0], given: 820

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 23:21
lukeofalltrades wrote:

Nope ... Nothing here as well ...

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 96

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 02:02
ankurgupta03 wrote:
lukeofalltrades wrote:

Nope ... Nothing here as well ...

I was at an infosession yesterday. Nidhi Reddy, informed that they will be starting with the feedback sessions only in early July. With all the misinformation floating around (I was myself told on email by ISB, when I wrote in, that feedback sessions will start in June 1st week), I wouldn't bet on anything.

My GMAT Debrief | My ISB 2015 Interview

Current Student
B

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 02:45
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

I was at an infosession yesterday. Nidhi Reddy, informed that they will be starting with the feedback sessions only in early July. With all the misinformation floating around (I was myself told on email by ISB, when I wrote in, that feedback sessions will start in June 1st week), I wouldn't bet on anything.

At the info session that happened here in Hyderbad, it was told that the feedback calls will start from 1st June ...
For all those seeking feedback, I think its better to mail them and ask for the dates.

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 04:09
I had emailed in may. They said 1st week of June. Haven't heard anything yet.

My GMAT Debrief | My ISB 2015 Interview

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 02:19
Hi,
I have a GMAT score of 700. 4 years of professional experience including 2.5 years of international experience in oil and gas industry. Additionally 1 year of startup experience. Is it a profile good enough to apply at ISB ? My nationality is Indian.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 52

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 10:42
himanshu_jain wrote:
Hi,
I have a GMAT score of 700. 4 years of professional experience including 2.5 years of international experience in oil and gas industry. Additionally 1 year of startup experience. Is it a profile good enough to apply at ISB ? My nationality is Indian.

Hi Himanshu,

Go ahead and apply!

Just be sure to mention your career goals concisely and also explain your need for an MBA from ISB.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 52

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 21:29
himanshu_jain wrote:
Hi,

Hi Himanshu,

You may certainly apply to ISB, and with your oil and gas experience, there should be good differentiating factors that you can create for yourself. The startup experience needs to be played well. But with just a 700, you would rather create some backup options as well. With your profile you will be able to target some very good international programs, and if you are lucky enough to get a scholarship, you will be in a very good position to choose what you want.

All the Best!

'ISBmantra /EssaySunday Consulting'

http://www.isbmantra.com

[Work with a Consultant from your field. Choose from our 30+ Alumni-Consultants from different roles & industries]

Watch our clients speak : https://youtu.be/S4iMb-NYb6Y

[The only company with former ISB Admissions Officials on Board] | ISBmantra.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 17:04
Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks to all the guys out here who are helping folks like me with their queries. Kudos!

I am an engineer from an NIT with a GPA of 7/10 (I thinks that's going to hurt me). I have been working for 4 years in the IT sector. However, I was working as a business analyst and of late as a functional consultant. I have decent to good extra-curriculars. (Sports - National Level Table-Tennis; Organizational Skills - Central Co-ordinator of College cultural fest; Secretary of a volunteer club)
I gave my GMAT in April and got 720 (Q51 V36). I am giving the GMAT again in August just to boost that verbal score.

Can someone please advise if I shall target R1 deadlines or R2. Will it be rushing the application process too much if I target R1?
Also, any comments on profile and chances are welcome. :)

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 20:06
padhy02 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks to all the guys out here who are helping folks like me with their queries. Kudos!

I am an engineer from an NIT with a GPA of 7/10 (I thinks that's going to hurt me). I have been working for 4 years in the IT sector. However, I was working as a business analyst and of late as a functional consultant. I have decent to good extra-curriculars. (Sports - National Level Table-Tennis; Organizational Skills - Central Co-ordinator of College cultural fest; Secretary of a volunteer club)
I gave my GMAT in April and got 720 (Q51 V36). I am giving the GMAT again in August just to boost that verbal score.

Can someone please advise if I shall target R1 deadlines or R2. Will it be rushing the application process too much if I target R1?
Also, any comments on profile and chances are welcome. :)

Thanks!

Hi padhy02! Your profile looks decent. Now that you have a 720, you should start working on your application. You may work on your GMAT simultaneously, but if you intend to apply to other schools as well, starting after August may be slightly late. You should certainly target R1 given that you are well set with a safe GMAT score. In case you are applying to ISB only, then it may be ok to start after your second GMAT, but we strongly recommend that you explore other options as well.

All the Best!

[Work with a Consultant from your field. Choose from our 30+ Alumni-Consultants from different roles & industries]

[The only company with former ISB Admissions Officials on Board] | ISBmantra.com

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V36
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 02:29
Does ISB give interview calls on a first come first serve basis or all calls will be sent together after the R1 deadline of 15th Oct 2015?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 05:57
shakib143 wrote:
Does ISB give interview calls on a first come first serve basis or all calls will be sent together after the R1 deadline of 15th Oct 2015?

Hi shakib143! All interview calls are given only after the R1 dealine, but not on a particular day. Calls are released over a period of about 30 days and a candidate gets about 7-10 days notice.

All the Best!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 23:56
Hi,
This club rocks helping people like me to decide what needs to be done when we are in a dilemma.KUDOS!!!!!!

Gave the GMAT and scored 720. My GPA is 8.2 and I have done my engineering in IT. I currently have a work ex of 28 months in Reporting domain in the IT Industry. I am targeting ISB Class of 2016. Is there a need for me to give the GMAT again?

Should I target R1 or R2 deadlines?

I am also thinking of applying to HARVARD,STANFORD,Wharton and INSEAD?
So what needs to be done further so that I can be more competitive than others?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 41

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 02:48
Hello Guys,

I am in a bit of a dilemma, so need your advice. First, a little background on my profile-

10th - 90% ( CBSE)
12th - 87% (CBSE)

UnderGrad- Engineering , NIT Allahabad - 7.3/10 ( Was awarded merit scholarship in my first year for having the best admit rank in my department. But my performance hasn't been great as such :( Grading was strict and ended up in the top 30%. Have one "D" as well :oops: )

Will have a work-ex of about 5 years when I matriculate next year. Currently working as a Senior Integration Engineer in Sony ( have worked for Sony Pictures as well as Sony electronics).

GMAT - 760 ( Quant - 51 , Verbal - 42)

Have taken certification courses in Micro, Macro-economics, Accounting, Financial analysis , corporate finance etc under institutes such as Wharton, Univ of Illinois, Melbourne University etc. Have also taken CFA and FRM certification exams and have cleared Level1 of both to address my average GPA and to prove that I can do well in Quant related courses. ( Also have interest in Finance)

1. My question is should I address my GPA issue in the optional essay for ISB. Will it be advisable or will it attract undue negative attention to a weak aspect of my profile?
2. I do not have work-exp in finance but have interest and would want to switch to finance domain through my MBA. So is it advisable to pitch in for finance in my essays as my post MBA goal or should I go in-line with my work-ex and pitch for product management as my post MBA goal?

You never lose, until you quit trying!

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 41

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2015, 02:48

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63    Next  [ 1247 posts ] 

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap