Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:20 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
illuminator wrote:
Peeps, curious, what was your essay word count? I was tempted to go into the 1000 range but instead kept it to 900 which was against my will!

Mine was a little over 1,000, but I thought it would be fine because there is just one essay. And for all the other schools, there were multiple essays that definitely added up to more than 1,000 words.

That said, I didn't really talk about my career at all in my essay. Just about the things and people I care about since that is how I typically introduce myself to people. Which I'm kind of afraid that they will think I repurposed the Stanford essay ... which I didn't!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Allday028 yeah I thought it was really strange that it asked only for extracurricular activities in college since all the other B School apps seemed to ask for both college and post-college, but I didn't want to take the risk so I just listed college extracurriculars on the HBS app. I did have some "community" extracurriculars post-college on my resume but it certainly was not as comprehensive. Well, we'll see... :|[/quote]
in my humble opinion (and we all share different thoughts) this isn't going to be a deal-breaker so I am not at all worried... the essay, academics, career (pre and post-MBA realistic trajectory) is of more concern! And the reference letters that my referees had trouble condensing vs GSB. let's see!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
munkee2018 wrote:
illuminator wrote:
Peeps, curious, what was your essay word count? I was tempted to go into the 1000 range but instead kept it to 900 which was against my will!

Mine was a little over 1,000, but I thought it would be fine because there is just one essay. And for all the other schools, there were multiple essays that definitely added up to more than 1,000 words.

That said, I didn't really talk about my career at all in my essay. Just about the things and people I care about since that is how I typically introduce myself to people. Which I'm kind of afraid that they will think I repurposed the Stanford essay ... which I didn't!

haha ditto!! I basically cut out all of the career stuff, leaving GSB essay numero uno, twisted into a monologue! :p
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE:Brand Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Kudos
I wrote a combination of college and post-college extras. My post-college extras are much more impressive actually so I thought I would be hurting myself if I didn't list them specifically. College was a long time ago in my case anyway.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ignatova wrote:
I wrote a combination of college and post-college extras. My post-college extras are much more impressive actually so I thought I would be hurting myself if I didn't list them specifically. College was a long time ago in my case anyway.

yah, those were my thoughts too...didn't want to hurt myself by sticking only to the passsssssssssssssssst. but everyone has diff circumstances so whatever fits best i say! good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
illuminator wrote:
ignatova wrote:

yah, those were my thoughts too...didn't want to hurt myself by sticking only to the passsssssssssssssssst. but everyone has diff circumstances so whatever fits best i say! good luck!

Yes, exactly. In the end it is about your story and sometimes your story is more interesting then application boxes...:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ignatova wrote:
illuminator wrote:
ignatova wrote:

Yes, exactly. In the end it is about your story and sometimes your story is more interesting then application boxes...:)

100% agree!!! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
On the activities section, I included only college activities given that's what was explicitly asked for. If nothing else it shows I read the instructions fully and followed them, something other schools have stressed in their various video instructions on applying. I don't think you'd be materially impacted by including more recent activities (I'm 6 years out of school and can sympathize), but I think at best they'll get ignored in favor of collegiate activities to put all applicants on a level playing field.

What's everyone's guess on the distribution of invites between the various days? I want to say it was something like 75-25 last year between the 2 days when I applied R2, but that's just from memory and didn't include the 3rd day they've added this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I read somewhere they expect the firsts day to be the largest amount but no figures were provided.. No idea. The advise was: if you are not getting a response in the beginning don't stress!:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hoopaloops wrote:
On the activities section, I included only college activities given that's what was explicitly asked for. If nothing else it shows I read the instructions fully and followed them, something other schools have stressed in their various video instructions on applying. I don't think you'd be materially impacted by including more recent activities (I'm 6 years out of school and can sympathize), but I think at best they'll get ignored in favor of collegiate activities to put all applicants on a level playing field.

What's everyone's guess on the distribution of invites between the various days? I want to say it was something like 75-25 last year between the 2 days when I applied R2, but that's just from memory and didn't include the 3rd day they've added this year.

i'd say even split so as not to overload their interview sign-up server.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
illuminator wrote:
ignatova wrote:

Yeah, I don't think it's a big issue. My assumption is that they want to see participation while in school, and that is why they explicitly stated that in the prompt. However..... a friend of mine last year included 2 in college and 1 post college, and he's in, so I don't think it's going to make or break an application.

Everyone relax.....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aeropower wrote:
illuminator wrote:
ignatova wrote:

Yeah, I don't think it's a big issue. My assumption is that they want to see participation while in school, and that is why they explicitly stated that in the prompt. However..... a friend of mine last year included 2 in college and 1 post college, and he's in, so I don't think it's going to make or break an application.

Everyone relax.....

thanks for your opinion. woohooo pretty much same then. i just looked, and in my CV i also noted date/year ranges of activities so they can put 2 and 2 together for more 'college'/'post-college' insights! good good. time to live up the weekend! enjoy everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
illuminator wrote:

Mine was about 800 words.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
AnthonyMason wrote:
illuminator wrote:

Mine was around 670. To decide an optimal word count, I tried speaking what I wrote. And when I got bored, I noted the word count and set it as my word limit :)
I think one shouldn't speak for more than 5 minutes at a comprehensible pace.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
generalist wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:
illuminator wrote:

Mine was around 670. To decide an optimal word count, I tried speaking what I wrote. And when I got bored, I noted the word count and set it as my word limit :)
I think one shouldn't speak for more than 5 minutes at a comprehensible pace.

Double checked and mine is actually around 650. I started my process by recording myself speaking mine and then transcribed it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Posting for the first time after ages of lurking.

My essay was a bit under 800 words. I also figured that a speech should not be too long. At the end, however, I do not think length matters nearly as much as the story each person has to tell.

Best of luck for all!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
good stuff guys! thanks for chipping in
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  43   
Moderators: