It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 08:07

STARTING SOON:

Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms in Main Chat Room  |  R1 Interview Invites: MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 125

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 04:14
Rather late :oops: ... Joining this thread for R1. Best of luck everyone for the interview calls!

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 125

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 20:44
Joining the party as well...good luck to all on getting the interview invites!

Last edited by RainMKR89 on 29 Sep 2015, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
In for R1. Best of luck everyone!

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 24

application answers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 20:28
please help me in writing the reply for this question : What is my potential for success in an MBA program? [/color]
and how can i use these keywords: leadership potential, academic ability and career focus.
please reply asap.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: application answers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 20:45
viditkararia wrote:
please help me in writing the reply for this question : What is my potential for success in an MBA program? [/color]
and how can i use these keywords: leadership potential, academic ability and career focus.
please reply asap.

In order to advise you, I would need a lot more information about your background. Please provide additional details: education background, work experience, goals etc.

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Re: application answers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 22:13
i am currently working as a lead engineer in power and energy sector and have 4.5 yrs of experience , i want to do mba in finance or international business which ever is acceptable , and i am not excactly sure about the goals defination and in this i need help.please suggest
thanking you

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Schools: HBS '18, Stanford '18

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 02:44
I have a LOT of question with this application. Ok so for the official score section, I have just inserted my last score -i.e. my highest score that I want to be considered, but the status says its "self reported" although PearsonVue notified me on August 24th that they have sent the new scores to HBS. Why isnt it already in the system then as "verified" score?

Additionally, my previous 2012 score (much lower than the latest score and definitely the one I do not want considered) for the GMAT is already recorded in the system (application) as "verified" score, and there is no way to delete it.

What do I do?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 09:40
nnishmin wrote:
I have a LOT of question with this application. Ok so for the official score section, I have just inserted my last score -i.e. my highest score that I want to be considered, but the status says its "self reported" although PearsonVue notified me on August 24th that they have sent the new scores to HBS. Why isnt it already in the system then as "verified" score?

Additionally, my previous 2012 score (much lower than the latest score and definitely the one I do not want considered) for the GMAT is already recorded in the system (application) as "verified" score, and there is no way to delete it.

What do I do?

simple answer. do nothing. relax. you self-reported your preferred score in your application. You elected to report this score and Pearson indeed sent those scores. This will be verified by HBS in due course -- it isn't immediate; they update every once in a while, on a regular frequency. I suspect this to be the case on deadline day 100%, else they would have a HEAP of work to do with refreshing scores later on in the process. That is my 2cents. What are your other questions? I see only one...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
Ok next question, for the e.c.a do I report those I was committed to during my college years? Because that's what the question makes it seem like

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 07:46
nnishmin wrote:
Ok next question, for the e.c.a do I report those I was committed to during my college years? Because that's what the question makes it seem like

Simple... no restriction on what you committed to or when. The application does not make it seem like it requests college years' activities, at all. Where does it state so?

You should include key activities which you wish to highlight due to your own assigned importance (what those activities mean to you, really, and preferably the activities would link with who you are, your career, motivations etc. Everything flows smoothly for adcom's sense check of your profile). Due to the brevity of HBS' application, every word we note will be regarded by the Adcom as strategic 'he/she WANTED us to know this...ok, but why? Because...' and then they make logical inferences. So include those activities you really feel are critical.

The amount of extracurricular activities, in my case, could fit four HBS applications. My approach was to select only the recent ones, in order of significance, and include the rest on my CV.

If you are 3+ years post college, I would have recommended highlighting more recent activities, as adcom is looking for continuous community leadership, not just 1 or 2 outliers -- same applies for those who do not have a good history of activities...starting up a massive trend of volunteering in the last 6 months may raise eyebrows as to 'why now!? Is it because of HBS application?'...adcom are a witty bunch.

Have you already completed your application for R1? Or are you applying R2? If former, there is no use wondering about your choices in retrospect, just let it play out.

Good luck!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 5

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.37

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
illuminator wrote:
nnishmin wrote:

Simple... no restriction on what you committed to or when. The application does not make it seems like it requests college years' activities, at all. Where does it state so?
You should include key activities which you wish to highlight due to your own assigned importance (what those activities mean to you, really, and preferably the activities would link with who you are, your career, motivations etc. Everything flows smoothly for adcom's sense check of your profile). Due to the brevity of HBS' application, every word we note will be regarded by the Adcom as strategic 'he/she WANTED us to know this...ok, but why? Because...' and then they make logical inferences. So include those activities you really feel are critical.

The amount of extracurricular activities, in my case, could fit four HBS applications. My approach was to select only the recent ones, in order of significance, and include the rest on my CV.

If you are 3+ years post college, I would have recommended highlighting more recent activities, as adcom is looking for continuous community leadership, not just 1 or 2 outliers -- same applies for those who do not have a good history of activities...starting up a massive trend of volunteering in the last 6 months may raise eyebrows as to 'why now!? Is it because of HBS application?'...adcom are a witty bunch.

Have you already completed your application for R1? Or are you applying R2? If former, there is no use wondering about your choices in retrospect, just let it play out.

Good luck!

Hi illuminator and nnishmin, I applied R1 and I remember that the question said it wanted to know what you did in college to get an idea of what you would do in the MBA program... I had written down some community service type of activities too but then changed them to college activities only because of that.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 5

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 07:55
munkee2018 wrote:
illuminator wrote:
nnishmin wrote:

Simple... no restriction on what you committed to or when. The application does not make it seems like it requests college years' activities, at all. Where does it state so?

Good luck!

Hi illuminator and nnishmin, I applied R1 and I remember that the question said it wanted to know what you did in college to get an idea of what you would do in the MBA program... I had written down some community service type of activities too but then changed them to college activities only because of that.

thanks. again if you are a recent college graduate, then yes, it makes sense to list those. If however, you are 3+ years post college, then in my humble opinion, noting ALL college activities ONLY (that happened 3+ years ago) wouldn't be a sensible decision because how would we demonstrate to adcom that we continued to engage in community leadership (school or outside)? Hence, the proportion of activities in college, in my opinion, should be reduced in line with years post college. That is just logic.

Good luck!!!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 08:02
It has just dawned on me....5 days before F5 gets slammed to the max!!! :-D

GOOD LUCK ALL!!!!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.37

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 08:23
illuminator wrote:

thanks. again if you are a recent college graduate, then yes, it makes sense to list those. If however, you are 3+ years post college, then in my humble opinion, noting ALL college activities ONLY (that happened 3+ years ago) wouldn't be a sensible decision because how would we demonstrate to adcom that we continued to engage in community leadership (school or outside)? Hence, the proportion of activities in college, in my opinion, should be reduced in line with years post college. That is just logic.

Good luck!!![/quote]

illuminator yikes, I did all college activities (I'm 5 years out of school)... but no use in fretting over that now, right? I think they should have been more clear with that question. Good luck ... hope we'll be classmates. :-D

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 08:27
munkee2018 wrote:
illuminator wrote:

Good luck!!!

illuminator yikes, I did all college activities (I'm 5 years out of school)... but no use in fretting over that now, right? I think they should have been more clear with that question. Good luck ... hope we'll be classmates. :-D[/quote]

yep, no use fretting! I'm similar, 6 years out of college. But in your CV, did you note any other activities? They can see it there so it makes for a balanced submission. (If not, I wouldn't worry much. it's no big deal. )In my case, I had professional, education and other info (25% of the page that included other awards, activities etc etc). Seriously HARD cramming it all in there.

likewise, let's hope for the best!!! Not long to go now....yikes!!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 11:25
Ok yes. I am still confused. I think the e.c.a section states explicitly "activities in college" although "logically" that makes no sense. Oh well. And I am applying for round 2 actually.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 17:16
munkee2018 wrote:
illuminator wrote:

Good luck!!!

illuminator yikes, I did all college activities (I'm 5 years out of school)... but no use in fretting over that now, right? I think they should have been more clear with that question. Good luck ... hope we'll be classmates. :-D[/quote]

I'm 5+ years out as well and did all college activities because I read the instructions the same way you did.

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 32

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Other)

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
The application was explicit in asking for college activities. It may not make sense to us to highlight only extra curriculars during college, but those were the instructions. You should have been able to highlight more recent extra curriculars elsewhere and I'd wager that not following instructions is the far bigger issue if you put non college activities there.

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 04:58
Allday028 wrote:
The application was explicit in asking for college activities. It may not make sense to us to highlight only extra curriculars during college, but those were the instructions. You should have been able to highlight more recent extra curriculars elsewhere and I'd wager that not following instructions is the far bigger issue if you put non college activities there.

yup, squeezed both college and post-college to demonstrate continuity, and all of the above in the CV and app, its all mashed up in there somewhere lol

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Other)

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 05:23
illuminator wrote:
Allday028 wrote:

yup, squeezed both college and post-college to demonstrate continuity, and all of the above in the CV and app, its all mashed up in there somewhere lol

I'm confused - Aren't you, several posts before this, advocating putting post college extra curriculars in the "college activities" section? I'm saying that section explicitly asks for college activities and that's all that should be put there regardless of age. For post college activities put them only on your resume/CV.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2015, 05:23

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  43    Next  [ 854 posts ] 

Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: ydmuley, OasisGC, aeropower, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap