Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:14 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V41
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
jole101 wrote:
landerpr wrote:
Just got an interview invite at 9 PM Stanford time! I'm based out of Boston.

Congrats!! You're in consulting as well, right?

Yup! Senior consultant at non-MBB.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
HopefulOne2015 wrote:
mosesrah wrote:
jdharris wrote:

From the successful posts yesterday it appears around 8am or so, batch release I gather. But never know.

Last year, I received mine at 2 pm PST on a Friday.

I have a question about your profile and background if you don't mind. I see you were dinged by HBS without interview, but you were interviewed by GSB last year. Isn't GSB even more selective? were you interviewed by HBS last year? Just trying to asses how similar are they in their the initial evaluation...
Thanks!
[/quote]

I think they overlap in some ways - the ultra elite bulge bracket firms + mega stats - but also in some ways not. I was invited to interview for GSB last year but dinged at HBS without an interview. It's my impression that GSB is slightly more open towards poets and non-conventional career tracks (not necessarily industry, bc HBS does select from a wide range of industries given its class size and commitment to diversity).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
landerpr wrote:

Congrats! Ok so it seems invites can go out at anytime lol and they are working quite late 9pm! Anything goes! Good luck ya'll for day 4.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
I wonder how they consider background, based on the work history that you filled out? I don't recall there's a generic field asking background, I do remember there's a field asking for post-MBA field tho
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Malluce wrote:
I wonder how they consider background, based on the work history that you filled out? I don't recall there's a generic field asking background, I do remember there's a field asking for post-MBA field tho

There is a field for current industry in the application - just checked on my application proof.

"What industry do you work in? (If you are a full-time student, select College Senior or Grad Student.) *"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Malluce wrote:

yep, i recall a field asking about current industry, so they must bucket using that field. and maybe they also consider target post-mba field but that's probably a looser guide if they try to hone in on a specific type of applicant, as they are surely aware and know that post-mba goals swing around.

no news yet from anyone i gather? it just seems such a low activity forum (in terms of applicants and number of invites) compared to this time last year (having had a look). definitely way lower applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
illuminator wrote:
Malluce wrote:

yep, i recall a field asking about current industry, so they must bucket using that field. and maybe they also consider target post-mba field but that's probably a looser guide if they try to hone in on a specific type of applicant, as they are surely aware and know that post-mba goals swing around.

no news yet from anyone i gather? it just seems such a low activity forum (in terms of applicants and number of invites) compared to this time last year (having had a look). definitely way lower applicants.

No news yet... Which is terrible - I can't spend the whole month checking my email every 30 minutes!
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
One other thing to keep in mind is that each school is trying to pull together a diverse (gender, ethnicity, industry, etc) class, and Stanford has less than half the number of spots HBS has. Stanford has also received a couple thousand fewer applications than HBS has (in years past). And one of the biggest factors for each applicant (that seems to be overlooked here on these boards a lot, to be honest!) is that you don't know who else is DIRECTLY competing against you for a spot at each school you applied to (meaning, if you're a white male consultant you would never be competing for a spot against, say, a female Asian i-banker) anyway. So perhaps when someone gets dinged from HBS but invited for an interview at Stanford, the people that person was directly up against (and ultimately lost out to) at HBS didn't even apply to Stanford. I have certainly had clients accepted to Stanford that were dinged everywhere else, including lower-tier schools.

All this is to say that overall, trying to figure out why the adcom makes the decisions it does is a maddening exercise and I don't recommend it. : ) Each school could admit 5 times the number of students it does and all of those people would be deserving. It's just that they can't, and at the end of the day they have to make some really tough calls.

Hope this helped to provide some perspective. Best of luck to everyone!

- - - -

I think they overlap in some ways - the ultra elite bulge bracket firms + mega stats - but also in some ways not. I was invited to interview for GSB last year but dinged at HBS without an interview. It's my impression that GSB is slightly more open towards poets and non-conventional career tracks (not necessarily industry, bc HBS does select from a wide range of industries given its class size and commitment to diversity)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
One other thing to keep in mind is that each school is trying to pull together a diverse (gender, ethnicity, industry, etc) class, and Stanford has less than half the number of spots HBS has. Stanford has also received a couple thousand fewer applications than HBS has (in years past). And one of the biggest factors for each applicant (that seems to be overlooked here on these boards a lot, to be honest!) is that you don't know who else is DIRECTLY competing against you for a spot at each school you applied to (meaning, if you're a white male consultant you would never be competing for a spot against, say, an female Asian i-banker) anyway. So perhaps when someone gets dinged from HBS but invited for an interview at Stanford, the people that person was directly up against (and ultimately lost out to) at HBS didn't even apply to Stanford. I have certainly had clients accepted to Stanford that were dinged everywhere else, including lower-tier schools.

All this is to say that overall, trying to figure out why the adcom makes the decisions it does is a maddening exercise and I don't recommend it. : ) Each school could admit 5 times the number of students it does and all of those people would be deserving. It's just that they can't, and at the end of the day they have to make some really tough calls.

Hope this helped to provide some perspective. Best of luck to everyone!

- - - -

I think they overlap in some ways - the ultra elite bulge bracket firms + mega stats - but also in some ways not. I was invited to interview for GSB last year but dinged at HBS without an interview. It's my impression that GSB is slightly more open towards poets and non-conventional career tracks (not necessarily industry, bc HBS does select from a wide range of industries given its class size and commitment to diversity)

THANKS!!! :) here's to FAITH guys and girls! We WILL prevail :-)

ok, on another note, time to hit up my inbox and spam folders. lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools: HBS '18 (II)
Send PM
landerpr wrote:

Does the interview invite come with information about your interviewee? Or do they say they will connect you with an interviewer at a later date?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Someone I know said they send interviewer info separately following the invite (1-3 days) and once they connect you, it needs to be diarised within 10 days.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
br29 wrote:
landerpr wrote:

Does the interview invite come with information about your interviewee? Or do they say they will connect you with an interviewer at a later date?

The invite asks you to update your application with your location for the next few weeks. Then a separate email connects you with your interviewer.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Has anyone from Tech - Services industry been invited already? So far it seems that only consulting has confirmed invitations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.83
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
landerpr wrote:

Great, now I'm going to check my email incessantly at all hours of the day and not just during business hours. :(

Congrats on the invite!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
got the invite around 8pm stanford time today.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats!! Now make sure you do enough interview prep to nail the interview. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy
Send PM
Would you mind sharing your background?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  43   
Moderators: