Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 20:41 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 20:41
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73508 [4]
Given Kudos: 19073
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Send PM
Re: ISB vs US Top Schools (Duke/UCLA/Ross/Tepper/Haas/Kellogg 1Y) [#permalink]
Thanks guys for all the suggestions and opinions.

bb,
Firstly, I'm so honored that you replied to my post. Thanks a ton..gmatclub is absolutely brilliant :lol: :-D
Coming to my concern, how does it matter where "I" want to live? For sure I want to live in US, I'm absolutely clear about that. But the point is "Can I?". H1B has a 50-50 chance of making it and things will only get worse in future (going by the trends and recent developments). Even if I don't want to, I may "have to" come back to India after my MBA or after my training visa expires. I wonder how will I feel that day when my fellow colleagues who choose ISB would have already had there first promotions :roll:

bkhu,
I see you come from manufacturing background as well. Would you mind sharing the career transition you're planning to make? :-D

bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits! Great job.
It is all about where you want to live/work after you graduate - US, Europe, or India. If you are planning to go back to India after Tepper or even Fuqua, it seems somewhat a waste of a year of life, money, and transitioning back and forth, but if you want to work in the US, ISB won't help no mater how fast, cheap, or convenient it may be. You will have to go to a US School, so it is more than just what you outlined.

P.S. I hope you won't pass out at 31. You are still young!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
My 2 cents.

Did you get admissions from schools like Kellogg and Haas, if so, I would choose them over ISB? Brand value and brand equity will last longer than H1B worries. Even if you don't manage to get a job in the US. You would be probably able to find a very strong gig in Singapore where you are currently located.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
I don't think you are in a deep mess, getting into a top India MBA program is a really good mess to be in

If you don't like Indian work culture, don't go to ISB. Your classmates will mostly be Indians and you will likely graduate and work in India.

US school lasts 2 years so you can manage in an summer internship. Lots of MBAs actually intern throughout the year so they can figure what industry/job is good for their careers so it's not like you just take an extra year just to study. Your job prospect will be more limited as an international student than a U.S. students but if you go to a top school, its like having 100 choices of employers vs 500. Needless to say, you will have a sufficient selection to choose from. You get your own H1b pool (for having master program) plus an international brand (top U.S. education) that can get you jobs anywhere

In term of cost, it might look like a lot now but won't be 5 - 10 years out
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
bb wrote:
It is all about where you want to live/work after you graduate - US, Europe, or India. If you are planning to go back to India after Tepper or even Fuqua, it seems somewhat a waste of a year of life, money, and transitioning back and forth, but if you want to work in the US, ISB won't help no mater how fast, cheap, or convenient it may be. You will have to go to a US School, so it is more than just what you outlined.

Not an expert, but I'd choose based on this. Also, ISB gives a PGDM which is not technically an MBA. I don't think this makes a difference within India, but it might make a difference if you choose to work abroad. Again, I'm not sure about it. I might be wrong, but I'd get an MBA if I want to work outside just to be safe.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73508 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
What if Kellogg or Ross gives you a full scholarship? I mean hopefully it will be easy and they all deny you :-P but what if?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
emancipated123,
It's really tricky to get back to India even from top US/International school. I've been networking like crazy with lot of recruitment managers in many India based consulting firms and MNCs that frequently hire from IIM/ISBs and the general sense is that in India it's the IIT/IIM/ISB brands that rule...And the difference is actually quite substantial...

beefphoforthewin,
That's a very valid point... Thanks for the useful info...

AvalonQQ,
Thanks for the response, but it doesn't matter much. Moreover, no one goes to ISB to work internationally. Even if you move to some other country later in your career that'll be because of your work ex. and mostly will be an internal transfer..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
What if Kellogg or Ross gives you a full scholarship? I mean hopefully it will be easy and they all deny you :-P but what if?

Hi bb,
You're bang on..That's the conclusion I've been coming unto that scholarship can actually make or break my decision. Even if any of the US schools give me a 50% scholarship I think I'll take the risk and head west :lol:
Another wild card is LBS...I'm considering a reject from LBS while doing all this analysis but if LBS happens, "by chance", that'll change the whole equation...

btw, is there any way to analyze which schools give more scholarship and what are scholarship criterias for various schools?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rohitbansal1507 wrote:
emancipated123,
It's really tricky to get back to India even from top US/International school. I've been networking like crazy with lot of recruitment managers in many India based consulting firms and MNCs that frequently hire from IIM/ISBs and the general sense is that in India it's the IIT/IIM/ISB brands that rule...And the difference is actually quite substantial...

beefphoforthewin,
That's a very valid point... Thanks for the useful info...

AvalonQQ,
Thanks for the response, but it doesn't matter much. Moreover, no one goes to ISB to work internationally. Even if you move to some other country later in your career that'll be because of your work ex. and mostly will be an internal transfer..

Did you apply to one year programs like INSEAD/Cambridge/Oxford etc?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73508 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
There is no pattern to scholarships really. They have been pretty surprising to most and schools don't really negotiate either. It is going to be a fun ride :-)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear emancipated123,
I got dinged by Judge and INSEAD...As you can see in my tracker, it's up to date :-D ...Oxford I didn't apply. I'm a bit hesitant to go to UK actually. ISB was my backup in case I don't get top 10 US program or INSEAD.

Dear bb,
Wow! Ad-coms never leave a chance to surprise us :P
I'm sure it'll be heck of a ride, I've my seat belt on :lol: :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rohitbansal1507 wrote:
Dear emancipated123,
I got dinged by Judge and INSEAD...As you can see in my tracker, it's up to date :-D ...Oxford I didn't apply. I'm a bit hesitant to go to UK actually. ISB was my backup in case I don't get top 10 US program or INSEAD.
l:

Sorry to hear that. Personal preference but if I got to into any of those schools maybe with the exception of Tepper, I would choose the US MBA but obviously there are many other considerations to have. Good luck with the rest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
rohitbansal1507 wrote:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions and opinions.

bb,
Firstly, I'm so honored that you replied to my post. Thanks a ton..gmatclub is absolutely brilliant :lol: :-D
Coming to my concern, how does it matter where "I" want to live? For sure I want to live in US, I'm absolutely clear about that. But the point is "Can I?". H1B has a 50-50 chance of making it and things will only get worse in future (going by the trends and recent developments). Even if I don't want to, I may "have to" come back to India after my MBA or after my training visa expires. I wonder how will I feel that day when my fellow colleagues who choose ISB would have already had there first promotions :roll:

bkhu,
I see you come from manufacturing background as well. Would you mind sharing the career transition you're planning to make? :-D

bb wrote:

P.S. I hope you won't pass out at 31. You are still young!

hey!

i am currently working in automotive manufacturing and would like to go into either operations in tech or strategy consulting.

i think you are in a good spot with all the interviews you are getting. good luck and let us know what you end up deciding on!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
There is no pattern to scholarships really. They have been pretty surprising to most and schools don't really negotiate either. It is going to be a fun ride :-)

Interesting article I found on scholarship:
https://poetsandquants.com/2014/11/21/wh ... ship-game/
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73508 [2]
Send PM
ISB vs US Top Schools (Duke/UCLA/Ross/Tepper/Haas/Kellogg 1Y) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
What did you find interesting? What was the takeaway for a top 10 program? The reason I ask is I find a lot of the articles say nothing and purely speculating or stating the most obvious facts such as schools want to attract the best candidates... so this seems to be another one written for the sake of writing. Yes high gmat score for lower ranked schools and yes to diversity or unique backgrounds that strengthen the class. But this does not really explain most scholarship decisions for the top 10/20 schools.

The reason is that each year schools have different goals because they have a different group applying. In addition, things such as yield rate also play here. Schools know that even if they admit a very capable candidate from a poor country who likely can't afford the program, the candidate won't attend without a scholarship so their choice is to either ding them or admit with a scholarship since admitting without a scholarship will detrimentally affect the schools ranking (higher yield rate). The article seems to miss many other nuances such as marketing heavy people applying to quant heavy schools and getting scholarships while not getting offered anything in lower ranked schools.

At this point now that you have all the applications are in it is too late. Not much we can do but speculate. At least you are not writing pointless things ;-)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi bb,
Really appreciate your detailed response.
Well, as someone who learned the meaning of "yield" just a few days back, you can understand why I found it interesting :roll: :lol:

Honestly, I've largely stayed in Asia region and scholarships aren't that common here. Hence, while applying to international schools I always considered the full cost of attendance. But now as I'm researching I feel US schools are more generous (in comparison to Indian/Asian schools) and interestingly now my whole decision seems to depend on where I get a scholarship from :lol:

Whatever happens, this MBA journey has already taught me a lot and it's hard to imagine how it would have been possible without the amazing support of folks like yourself. From GMAT to applications to results to all these amazing discussions. Can't thank enough :thanks

bb wrote:
What did you find interesting? What was the takeaway for a top 10 program? The reason I ask is I find a lot of the articles say nothing and purely speculating or stating the most obvious facts such as schools want to attract the best candidates... so this seems to be another one written for the sake of writing. Yes high gmat score for lower ranked schools and yes to diversity or unique backgrounds that strengthen the class. But this does not really explain most scholarship decisions for the top 10/20 schools.

The reason is that each year schools have different goals because they have a different group applying. In addition, things such as yield rate also play here. Schools know that even if they admit a very capable candidate from a poor country who likely can't afford the program, the candidate won't attend without a scholarship so their choice is to either ding them or admit with a scholarship since admitting without a scholarship will detrimentally affect the schools ranking (higher yield rate). The article seems to miss many other nuances such as marketing heavy people applying to quant heavy schools and getting scholarships while not getting offered anything in lower ranked schools.

At this point now that you have all the applications are in it is too late. Not much we can do but speculate. At least you are not writing pointless things ;-)

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73508 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You are a very diplomatic person. I salute your attitude! I am sure you will get a very decent offer from one or more of the schools. Stay positive.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Rohit,

Based on your LinkedIn request, sharing some perspectives here.

What I know about you:

• You have strong views (and apprehensions) about the work culture in India.
  • You already have an international Masters degree
  • You don't want to spend one extra year in a class
  • Financing the degree isn't your biggest concern.

What I think:

• A 1-year MBA in Europe would've been a good option to add to the mix. I'm guessing you had reasons for not going down that path.
  • ISB is a solid school for those who want a career in India. But given your current situation and mindset, you'd be better off attending an international program (despite the work permit risks).
  • While a post job is important, there are many other benefits of the degree that many applicants tend to ignore - the learning, the network, the experiences, the experts on campus, the personal growth opportunities, diverse perspectives that challenge deep rooted beliefs that one holds.
  • As you've been part of an international student group, you'd appreciate how different it is to learn in an international setting. The takeaways are substantially different when you are in a multi-cultural academic environment.
  • Even if you have to come back to India (by choice or by virtue of not getting a work permit), I'd still vote for an international degree.

Does that help?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1127 posts