It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB vs US Top Schools (Duke/UCLA/Ross/Tepper/Haas/Kellogg 1Y)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ISB vs US Top Schools (Duke/UCLA/Ross/Tepper/Haas/Kellogg 1Y) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 00:52
Hi Sameer,
A big THANKS for following up on the LinkedIn post and replying here.

You're right on every front. :arrow:

I have strong views about the work culture in India. I guess it's mostly because of few bad experiences that I had with my past employer and the amazing work culture that I have come to enjoy in Singapore. Even I sometimes feel my views about the Indian work culture lack logic, and it's unfair to generalize.

I did had strong reasons for not applying to European schools (though I did applied to UK schools, including Judge :lol: )

You're also right about the takeaways from an international program. That's exactly what I've been thinking for past few weeks...
Let's see how it goes, I hope things will get clearer once I have final offers from all schools in hand..

PS: I read "Beyond The MBA Hype" back in 2012 and it's that one book that helped me do a sanity check and motivated me to do an MBA. I further worked with MG for career counseling and today I feel so obliged to you and MBACrystalBall for helping me reach to this point where I'm at least competitive for such top MBA programs.

To end the post on a philosophical note sharing a video on "how to make hard choices". If I know you well, you'll like this for sure :lol: :

https://www.ted.com/talks/ruth_chang_ho ... rd_choices
MBACrystalBall wrote:
Hi Rohit,

Based on your LinkedIn request, sharing some perspectives here.

What I know about you:

• You have strong views (and apprehensions) about the work culture in India.
  • You already have an international Masters degree
  • You don't want to spend one extra year in a class
  • Financing the degree isn't your biggest concern.

What I think:

• A 1-year MBA in Europe would've been a good option to add to the mix. I'm guessing you had reasons for not going down that path.
  • ISB is a solid school for those who want a career in India. But given your current situation and mindset, you'd be better off attending an international program (despite the work permit risks).
  • While a post job is important, there are many other benefits of the degree that many applicants tend to ignore - the learning, the network, the experiences, the experts on campus, the personal growth opportunities, diverse perspectives that challenge deep rooted beliefs that one holds.
  • As you've been part of an international student group, you'd appreciate how different it is to learn in an international setting. The takeaways are substantially different when you are in a multi-cultural academic environment.
  • Even if you have to come back to India (by choice or by virtue of not getting a work permit), I'd still vote for an international degree.

Does that help?

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 03:58
I can imagine how stressful to take such a decision.

Before going into your point, I hope that you have started an open communications with your managers about your plans o pursue an MBA. In case you accept ISB, it would be short notice. You might leave with notorious impression. For any reason, you find yourself want to return for your employer in Singapore after MBA. So keep gates open.
Coming to your point. Since your graduation, you have been studying and living outside India. So you accepted the risk. I think you will thrive in international environment. So doing mba in the US will suit you and can open potential opportunities in other places.

In world on uncertainty, you need to mitigate the risk by making you due diligence. Try to list down the schools with each pros and cons. You may calculate the benefits against what you will pay (if there is partial scholarship or huge amount to pay). You have applied to many schools with relative strengths. Your best is MIT which has worldwide reputation and could open doors. You should do the same and find out where other schools could help. You may return to Singapore so find out the best US mba that works there. Do the same in Europe and Middle east in Dubai for example. Try to utilize LinkedIn profile for International talents who possess American mba and type of companies. You can start a communication with them and network with those schools you applied to.

I wish good luck in your journey. :-D

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 04:52
Thanks a lot for your detailed response...

Mo2men wrote:
I can imagine how stressful to take such a decision.

Before going into your point, I hope that you have started an open communications with your managers about your plans o pursue an MBA. In case you accept ISB, it would be short notice. You might leave with notorious impression. For any reason, you find yourself want to return for your employer in Singapore after MBA. So keep gates open.
Coming to your point. Since your graduation, you have been studying and living outside India. So you accepted the risk. I think you will thrive in international environment. So doing mba in the US will suit you and can open potential opportunities in other places.

In world on uncertainty, you need to mitigate the risk by making you due diligence. Try to list down the schools with each pros and cons. You may calculate the benefits against what you will pay (if there is partial scholarship or huge amount to pay). You have applied to many schools with relative strengths. Your best is MIT which has worldwide reputation and could open doors. You should do the same and find out where other schools could help. You may return to Singapore so find out the best US mba that works there. Do the same in Europe and Middle east in Dubai for example. Try to utilize LinkedIn profile for International talents who possess American mba and type of companies. You can start a communication with them and network with those schools you applied to.

I wish good luck in your journey. :-D

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 00:11
Just to update this topic, after multiple dings, interviews and heavy research my selection has gone down to ISB vs UCLA/Ross....
Fingers crossed...

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 82

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 07:00
Helped me anyway :D

Jai Baba Crystal Balls!

MBACrystalBall wrote:
Hi Rohit,

Based on your LinkedIn request, sharing some perspectives here.

What I know about you:

• You have strong views (and apprehensions) about the work culture in India.
  • You already have an international Masters degree
  • You don't want to spend one extra year in a class
  • Financing the degree isn't your biggest concern.

What I think:

• A 1-year MBA in Europe would've been a good option to add to the mix. I'm guessing you had reasons for not going down that path.
  • ISB is a solid school for those who want a career in India. But given your current situation and mindset, you'd be better off attending an international program (despite the work permit risks).
  • While a post job is important, there are many other benefits of the degree that many applicants tend to ignore - the learning, the network, the experiences, the experts on campus, the personal growth opportunities, diverse perspectives that challenge deep rooted beliefs that one holds.
  • As you've been part of an international student group, you'd appreciate how different it is to learn in an international setting. The takeaways are substantially different when you are in a multi-cultural academic environment.
  • Even if you have to come back to India (by choice or by virtue of not getting a work permit), I'd still vote for an international degree.

Does that help?

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 82

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 17:19
:lol:

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 08:58
Rohit6

I just read this threat and I realized that you decided to go for the 1Y program at Kellogg!

First of all, congratulations on your acceptances and making your decision. I wanted to ask you something. Based on your previous comments you were concerned about the H1B visa. Did anything significant happened for you to decide on this?

I am also an international student accepted to a program in the US and similar to you I am also concerned about H1B. Also, why a 1 year program in the US vs a 2 year?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 17:55
Hi thewaitlisted,
To know more about my profile and my thought process you can refer this thread:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/kellogg-1y-v ... 36669.html

Basically it all depends on where you are in your career and life and where you want your life to go in next 3-5 years. That is what, IMHO, should dictate the choice of an MBA program.

H1B concerns are where they are and I'm pretty confident that the recent administration in US would achieve little to change it, if at all. Having said that, I discussed my situation with multiple alums and students and even with a senior official at Kellogg and by and large I felt it's a risk worth taking. Again that's a very personal decision which is not entirely based on facts and figures but rather on a mix of rational, gut and emotions.

If you'd like to discuss your situation to have a second perspective, I'd be happy to have a call sometime and share whatever info I've gathered. Feel free to PM me; and whatever you decide, stay Positive and stay Confident :thumbup:

thewaitlisted wrote:
Rohit6

I just read this threat and I realized that you decided to go for the 1Y program at Kellogg!

First of all, congratulations on your acceptances and making your decision. I wanted to ask you something. Based on your previous comments you were concerned about the H1B visa. Did anything significant happened for you to decide on this?

I am also an international student accepted to a program in the US and similar to you I am also concerned about H1B. Also, why a 1 year program in the US vs a 2 year?

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 18:20
Well when you applied to ISB you realized this was a potential issue you would have. Given that you have no desire to live in India, it seems like you should wait for those US decisions. Ultimately it comes down to where you will be happy and not feel regret. A scholarship will probably be the ultimate decision maker.. Good luck!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 18:33
Thanks for your response. I finally got a 40k scholarship from UCLA and an admit from Kellogg's 1Y MBA program. Decided to join Kellogg..Let's see how it goes...Any advice on how best to approach the time at Kellogg? May be you can refer my other post to get a better idea of my profile and respond there?
https://gmatclub.com/forum/kellogg-1y-v ... 36669.html

VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Well when you applied to ISB you realized this was a potential issue you would have. Given that you have no desire to live in India, it seems like you should wait for those US decisions. Ultimately it comes down to where you will be happy and not feel regret. A scholarship will probably be the ultimate decision maker.. Good luck!

Re: ISB vs US Top Schools (Duke/UCLA/Ross/Tepper/Haas/Kellogg 1Y)   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2017, 18:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

ISB vs US Top Schools (Duke/UCLA/Ross/Tepper/Haas/Kellogg 1Y)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap