Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 21:59 It is currently 22 May 2024, 21:59
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q56 V46
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2017 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
Test12344321 wrote:
Waitlisted...sigh

I'm sorry to hear that Test12344321. Waitlist is definitely a bummer. But hey, at least all is not lost, and they saw enough to not ding you outright. What country are you from?

I definitely recommend not being passive on the waitlist. It's such a small program and fit is such a huge factor, that I would fight for my place in the class if I were in your shoes. I think it could be possible to convey or demonstrate to the AdCom that you're committed to CT and that you buy into the greater vision for the school, which is what makes it so vastly different than other b-schools.

For what it's worth, here's a podcast interview w/ Christine (head of admissions): https://touchmba.com/cornell-tech-johnson-mba-admissions-qa-with-christine-sneva/ that might help if you decide to press on. You'll hear her articulate the vision for Cornell Tech in her own words.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2017 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
CAVU,
I think my interview went well. Now I am waiting for their response.
Regards,
Abhijit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Kudos
Waitlisted too..Well, hope others good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't understand one thing. Their academic session starts in May, don't you think the window is too small especially for international candidates to get an admit call, and then work on legalities such as visa process etc.?
Regards,
Abhijit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
CAVU wrote:
Test12344321 wrote:
Waitlisted...sigh

I'm sorry to hear that Test12344321. Waitlist is definitely a bummer. But hey, at least all is not lost, and they saw enough to not ding you outright. What country are you from?

I definitely recommend not being passive on the waitlist. It's such a small program and fit is such a huge factor, that I would fight for my place in the class if I were in your shoes. I think it could be possible to convey or demonstrate to the AdCom that you're committed to CT and that you buy into the greater vision for the school, which is what makes it so vastly different than other b-schools.

For what it's worth, here's a podcast interview w/ Christine (head of admissions): https://touchmba.com/cornell-tech-johnson-mba-admissions-qa-with-christine-sneva/ that might help if you decide to press on. You'll hear her articulate the vision for Cornell Tech in her own words.

Thanks for the encouraging words CAVU. Yes after the initial disappointment, I've decided to do all I can because I really like this program and think it's ideal for what I want to do in my career. I'm from India but living in the states now. Also really appreciate the time and effort you take to help your fellow applicants...lmk when you get to the New York area and I'll be happy to buy you a drink any time :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Test12344321 wrote:
CAVU wrote:
Test12344321 wrote:
Waitlisted...sigh

Thanks for the encouraging words CAVU. Yes after the initial disappointment, I've decided to do all I can because I really like this program and think it's ideal for what I want to do in my career. I'm from India but living in the states now. Also really appreciate the time and effort you take to help your fellow applicants...lmk when you get to the New York area and I'll be happy to buy you a drink any time :)

Thanks Test12344321, I'll definitely take you up on that :-D

I'm happy to help, especially since there's nothing out there about Cornell Tech like there is for other schools, and I know everyone naturally has lots of questions. I sure did, but I ended up going through the process not knowing what to expect.

Given that you're in the US, you have an advantage in that NYC is ≤ 5 hours away (unless you're in Hawaii/Alaska), so you can try to score some face time with admissions. Maybe it would be a good idea (if you haven't already) to do a strategic class visit, which might then give some interaction with Christine or Bianca. Plus this would definitely signal you're serious about CT as a waitlister who then takes the time and energy to do a class visit. Looks like lots of the available dates are already full, so I'd sign up for this kinda soon if you're up for it: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cornell-tech-mba-class-visit-various-classes-tickets-30505098571.

At any rate, best of luck to you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
abhibad wrote:
I don't understand one thing. Their academic session starts in May, don't you think the window is too small especially for international candidates to get an admit call, and then work on legalities such as visa process etc.?
Regards,
Abhijit

It's definitely a tight window for intl applicants abhibad, as it is even for domestic students to some degree before the program starts, but it's definitely doable. Otherwise, they would only take applications from intl students in Round 1. There also seems to be a good amount of dedicated university resources to assist you.

• Check out the Cornell International Students & Scholars Office. Here's their new student guide: https://isso.cornell.edu/life-cornell/new-student-arrival-guide.

• Here's student visa info from the Johnson school: https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/New-Students/One-Year-MBA/International-Students/Getting-a-Visa.

• Cornell's student loan program for intl students: https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Portals/32/PDFs/FinancialAid/Loan%20term%20sheet%20for%202017-18.pdf.

But that said...go get that admit and then worry about the logistics ;). It will all fall into place if you decide to matriculate, as it's a small tight-knit program and the school will work with you on the particulars.

If it's any consolation, you should know that even for me, as a student from the US who will be moving across the country to attend, it's been a waiting game even after being admitted in Round 1. I've been able to do very little to get ready to attend because it's still too early to get student loans (we have to wait until April), to rent an apartment in Ithaca and NYC, and to really do anything other than pay the deposit and fill out some enrollment forms. So it doesn't seem like you'd really be behind the curve or at any significant disadvantage if you're admitted this round.

Attachments

File comment: Cornell Johnson New Students > Getting a Visa
Cornell Johnson - New Students - Student Visas.pdf [1.23 MiB]
Downloaded 37 times

File comment: International new student guide
NowThatYouAreHere.pdf [143.37 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

File comment: Cornell student loan program for international students
Loan term sheet for 2017-18.pdf [90.2 KiB]
Downloaded 39 times

Originally posted by CAVU on 25 Feb 2017, 13:05.
Last edited by CAVU on 25 Feb 2017, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Also want to express my appreciation CAVU, your information is really helpful. And Test12344321, don't give up yet. It is my first choice too, I have not seen other programs with such fitness to my goals. It definitely is the one to fight for. All best. :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
magiccccat wrote:
Also want to express my appreciation CAVU, your information is really helpful. And Test12344321, don't give up yet. It is my first choice too, I have not seen other programs with such fitness to my goals. It definitely is the one to fight for. All best. :-D

Thanks magiccccat! I'm glad that my posts have been helpful — happy to be of service :)

Re: the waitlist, you've got the right mindset and it's great to hear that CT is your first choice. The fact that you haven't come across other programs that fit your goals nearly as much as Cornell Tech does I think is a big signal that you're on the right track.

This is in fact something Christine has said in blog posts and interviews that the adcom looks for — they want people who typically wouldn't fit traditional MBA programs (which, let's be honest, all say that they're geared for the entrepreneurial techie folks just as much as they are for bankers and consultants, but really that's not the case).

So keep bringing the heat — It ain't over yet!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Just put down my deposit! See you all this summer. Accepted R1 here.

Are folks going to the admitted weekend March 24?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Cessna wrote:

Hey Cessna and congrats! I'll be there — see you at kickoff on the 24th.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Research (Computer Software)
Send PM
CAVU wrote:
Cessna wrote:

Hey Cessna and congrats! I'll be there — see you at kickoff on the 24th.

Hey CAVU, since you're enrolling, do you know what is the date in May when classes start in Ithaca? I'm trying to plan and the time is approaching quickly. Thanks for all you do here!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Folks,
I still haven't heard back from CT, I had my interview on thursday, Feb 23rd. Does that mean my application has been rejected? Shall I ask adcon for an update?
Regards,
Abhijit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abhibad wrote:
Folks,
I still haven't heard back from CT, I had my interview on thursday, Feb 23rd. Does that mean my application has been rejected? Shall I ask adcon for an update?
Regards,
Abhijit

Well mine was on the 14th and I heard back on the 24th so I think you still have time
Intern
Intern
Send PM
magiccccat wrote:

Thanks @magiccccat...good luck to you too :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Test12344321 wrote:
abhibad wrote:
Folks,
Regards,
Abhijit

Well mine was on the 14th and I heard back on the 24th so I think you still have time

Thanks Test12344321,
My concern is that the deadline for R3 is march 3rd and I thought they'd make their R2 decisions before the deadline.
Regards,
Abhijit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhibad wrote:
Test12344321 wrote:
abhibad wrote:
Folks,
Regards,
Abhijit

Thanks Test12344321,
My concern is that the deadline for R3 is march 3rd and I thought they'd make their R2 decisions before the deadline.
Regards,
Abhijit

Hi abhibad — thankfully, I don't think you have to worry about it being a hard cut off date for decisions.

You're one of the very last interviews in R2, so while the application deadline for R3 is March 3rd, the adcom probably won't go through those apps until they finish the current round.

Also, decisions have historically taken anywhere from 1.5-3+ weeks. But I've never heard of any decision in < 1 week, so I don't think you have anything to worry about given that your interview was only 6 days ago. I'd imagine though that your decision will come towards the earlier end of that range, as they likely want to finish up the current round asap.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts