It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 07:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2017 Intake) Class of 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2017 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 14:05
For those applying in Round 2, here's a couple of admissions webinars that may be of interest.

Upcoming Cornell Tech MBA Admissions Webinars (January/March 2017):

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Research (Computer Software)
Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2017 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 09:57
Really excited!

Application Submitted on: 2017/01/20
GMAT: 710, Q47, V41
GPA: 3.16
WE: 81 months
Industry: Computer Software
Submited on: 2017/01/20

Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager
B

Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2017 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 01:04
STEMBusiness wrote:
Really excited!

Congrats and good luck STEMBusiness!

What part of the US are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2017 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 09:21
Hi guys, has anybody heard back from Cornell Tech recently? I completed my application on Dec 12 and have not heard anything...

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 09:41
CAVU wrote:
STEMBusiness wrote:
Really excited!

Congrats and good luck STEMBusiness!

What part of the US are you from?

I'm from the Boston area.

Fingers crossed! Submitted on January 20th, haven't heard anything. My status still reads "submitted."

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 14:36
how are people finding the short term sublet in ithaca for the first 10 weeks? i contacted the on campus housing and they only lease for 1 year..any tips?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 07:21
inkpepper wrote:
how are people finding the short term sublet in ithaca for the first 10 weeks? i contacted the on campus housing and they only lease for 1 year..any tips?

Somebody should buy a house with several units and rent it to Tech MBAs during summer, some other students during fall/spring.

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 700 Q56 V46
GPA: 3.25

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2017, 12:21
Any updates for people who applied to round 2 ? Mine is under review... does anyone have an idea about the timeline for decisions?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 02:05
gkchat wrote:
Any updates for people who applied to round 2 ? Mine is under review... does anyone have an idea about the timeline for decisions?

Nothing here...completed on Dec 12th, went "under review" Dec 13th, received an e-mail around Jan 15th saying that my app was starting to be reviewed, and nothing else..I made a video for the app and the video has not been accessed yet.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 02:33
STEMBusiness wrote:
inkpepper wrote:

Somebody should buy a house with several units and rent it to Tech MBAs during summer, some other students during fall/spring.

Spoken like a true entrepreneur STEMBusiness! Have you heard back about an interview or are you still in the waiting game?

Last edited by CAVU on 06 Feb 2017, 02:47, edited 3 times in total.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 02:43
dumucci wrote:
gkchat wrote:

Nothing here...completed on Dec 12th, went "under review" Dec 13th, received an e-mail around Jan 15th saying that my app was starting to be reviewed, and nothing else..I made a video for the app and the video has not been accessed yet.

Hi dumucci and gkchat — I've heard from a couple of people who've gotten interview invites over the last week/week and a half or so, but my sample size is relatively small. In my experience from round 1, invites seem to come through on a somewhat rolling basis, so I wouldn't take this to mean it's over just yet, especially given that in round 1 invites started to trickle out around 4-5 weeks after the deadline.

But what I can definitely suggest is giving them a call. They are super nice and really helpful. The number to the admissions office is on the contact tab in your application portal.

Good luck to you both!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 15:53
Still waiting to hear if I'll be invited to interview. No word yet.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 17:36
STEMBusiness wrote:
Still waiting to hear if I'll be invited to interview. No word yet.

The waiting game is the worst part. Hang in there, best of luck to you STEMBusiness

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.24

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 04:18
CAVU wrote:
dumucci wrote:
gkchat wrote:

Hi dumucci and gkchat — I've heard from a couple of people who've gotten interview invites over the last week/week and a half or so, but my sample size is relatively small. In my experience from round 1, invites seem to come through on a somewhat rolling basis, so I wouldn't take this to mean it's over just yet, especially given that in round 1 invites started to trickle out around 4-5 weeks after the deadline.

But what I can definitely suggest is giving them a call. They are super nice and really helpful. The number to the admissions office is on the contact tab in your application portal.

Good luck to you both!

Can add to that, just got the invitation this Monday and got the arranged date today. Guys good luck to all of us.

Did a bit research, but didn't find much. Qs in 1st interview are quite standardized last year. Anyone in R1 can share what we should expect?

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 700 Q56 V46
GPA: 3.25

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 04:51
Congrats magiccccat! All the best for your interview !

Just curious, when did you submit your application ?

Intern
Intern

GPA: 3.24

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 04:54
gkchat wrote:
Congrats magiccccat! All the best for your interview !

Just curious, when did you submit your application ?

On 20th Jan, the deadline of R2.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 07:42
I am out, for sure. Good luck the rest!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 23:03
Folks,
I got an email today confirming that I have been shortlisted for Tech MBA interview. They have not intimated the interview date yet.
Any pointers or past experiences will be helpful. Another question, I am applying for SDM program in MIT. What will you guys recommend between Cornell Tech MBA and SDM MIT?
Regards,
Abhijit

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [3], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
magiccccat wrote:
Can add to that, just got the invitation this Monday and got the arranged date today. Guys good luck to all of us.

Did a bit research, but didn't find much. Qs in 1st interview are quite standardized last year. Anyone in R1 can share what we should expect?

What to expect before and during your interview:

Know that it's only 1 interview this year. In previous years there was a phone interview first, then an on-site interview. But the phone screen has been done away with.

You should expect to get a "case", which is more like a business scenario for which you have to give a recommendation on what course of action to take. This will come via email about 24 hours before your interview. You'll have to prepare a 5-minute presentation and give your reasoning and recommendations regarding the case as the first part of your interview.

The case is pretty ambiguous by design. It's a test of your logical reasoning and analytical abilities. Just make sure you back up your decisions or recommendations with solid logic or objective evidence. It's totally okay to invoke outside statistics, market research, or other evidence that you found while analyzing the scenario given in the case. The key here is to not make blanket statements or sweeping generalizations. Remember GMAT critical reasoning while preparing your presentation, and don't make false assumptions or improperly draw conclusions. If you make logical inferences and draw conclusions based on the evidence you present, you'll do just fine.

You won't be able to use a computer or white board but you can bring paper-based visual aides (just make sure you bring multiple copies).

The case portion is only 5 minutes long so pay close attention to timing. It goes by quickly and you'll want to make sure you get to say everything you intended to regarding the case. Definitely practice your timing before you arrive for the interview. After the presentation, you'll get a few follow up questions on the case.

After that, the interview is pretty standard. Be prepared to walk through your resume, answer a standard behavioral question or two, talk about your goals, explain why Cornell Tech, and then at the end, to ask your interviewer a few questions of your own.

The last part I actually think is the most important. The questions you ask really show your level of interest and fit with the program. Cornell Tech is so radically different from other MBA programs and there's so many exciting new things on the horizon, such as the Roosevelt Island campus, that there should be plenty of good questions to ask.

Since this isn't your traditional b-school program, I've been asked in the past what to wear. I had the same question myself when I interviewed, but I went with a casual suit and NO tie. I'm sure you could get away with something more casual, as I was still the most dressed up person at Cornell Tech that day (it's a very startup company like atmosphere), but I felt like it struck the right tone. That said, I would've felt ridiculous in a tie.

In general, it's really important to just relax and get in a good groove with your interviewer. This will help your case presentation flow naturally and your answers to other interview questions come off in a genuine light. Everything, in general, is really conversational and it's definitely not a high pressure atmosphere! The admissions staff is really warm and friendly and that definitely helps you to get comfortable.

Lastly, be sure to arrive a little earlier than you normally would, since you'll have to check-in with Google security in the lobby. There's also two entrances to the building (left and right if facing the building from 8th avenue). I went in the left entrance, which unbeknownst to me is just for Google employees, and had to walk back out and go to the entrance on the right-hand side, which took an extra 5 minutes or so just to get to the security desk.

Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews! Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by CAVU on 16 Mar 2017, 04:04, edited 3 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 17 [3], given: 6

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 13:29
abhibad wrote:
Folks,
I got an email today confirming that I have been shortlisted for Tech MBA interview. They have not intimated the interview date yet.
Any pointers or past experiences will be helpful. Another question, I am applying for SDM program in MIT. What will you guys recommend between Cornell Tech MBA and SDM MIT?
Regards,
Abhijit

Hi abhibad,

I posted above a few pointers about the interview. But in regards to Cornell Tech vs MIT System Design & Management, I'd really say there is no comparison. These are two entirely different programs with two very different career outcomes. For one, Cornell Tech is an MBA program and MIT SDM is essentially a Masters of Engineering with some light management focus.

The Cornell Tech MBA is focused on preparing people to lead and found technology companies and teaches many of the modern skills this requires but that aren't taught elsewhere, such as product management, design thinking, fundraising, lean startup theory, and working cross-functionally in an agile team-based environment. In general, it is very focused on the skills that make successful technology entrepreneurs.

MIT SDM is far more technical and much less business/entrepreneurially oriented. It is largely engineering focused and only has managerial components insofar as preparing people to lead engineering teams and manage complex engineering systems.

This is from MIT SDM's website:
Quote:
The three-semester core course provides an integrated view of architecting, engineering, and managing the development of complex systems.

In my opinion, that couldn't be more different than the goals of the Cornell Tech MBA program. But depending on your career goals, MIT SDM may or may not be a better fit.

Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2017 Intake) Class of 2018   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2017, 13:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 203 posts ] 

Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2017 Intake) Class of 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap