Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:49 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
umabharatigudipalli wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
Vin07 wrote:
I have some confusion between A & C. A & C differ only in the use of "such as the one Norway has" and "like the one Norway has" . Could some please help me in identifying why "such as" is better suited here. I chose C as my answer.

For examples, we use 'such as'. 'Like' is used to compare nouns.

Hi,

Are we not comparing nouns here? Would you please let me know the difference between such as and like..

Thanks in advance..

We are not comparing the countries with Norway. We are providing an example of the country that has the advantages of being in EU.

Hence, as we are using such as here.

Note: Such as is used to show examples and Like SHOULD NEVER be used for examples.

Like is used to compare ONLY Nouns, which in this case is not valid. Hence, A is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

Will the above sentence be incorrect?

I could not make the difference whether the author is trying to compare a country and Norway or presenting Norway as an example. Please help !

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has KEPT, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

You missed the word "kept". A word that is not already present in the first element of a parallel structure cannot be omitted from the second element of the structure.

hello sir , your above clarifications are enough to understand the answer , while i have doubt please clarify
if we write this sentence such as

A country that keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has , but it will find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

my point to option B if we modify it like above ,would it be correct ?

thanks
regards
Nimesh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Nimesh
Can I take your permission to weigh in?
Basically, it becomes difficult to defend B because it is a fragment with no verb for the first part. The relative pronoun "that' is a spoilsport.
Let's therefore, remove the problematic 'that'' from your rewrite and see Still choice B doesn't gel grammatically
A country keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it will find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
Let's accept you rare comparing what a country keeps with what Norway has. So you may feel the use of 'as' is legal. Bur aren't you comparing two unequal things in that 'keeps' is an action verb while 'has' is a linking verb. May be it will be fine if you say"

" A country keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway does, but it will find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Vyshak wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - usage of 'as' is incorrect

Can you briefly explain why the usage of 'as' is incorrect? Is it for the same reason that 'like' was incorrect? While intuitively I agree that A sounds best I want to make sure I understand why I'm rejecting the rest.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
ar500 wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - usage of 'as' is incorrect

Can you briefly explain why the usage of 'as' is incorrect? Is it for the same reason that 'like' was incorrect? While intuitively I agree that A sounds best I want to make sure I understand why I'm rejecting the rest.

The usage of as is incorrect in option D because if you go for the meaning of the original sentence, we are meant to give an example of the country that has the agreement. So. to present an example we MUST use such as. But in D, the meaning conveys we are comparing the agreements of EU and Norway(an incorrect meaning). So, D is incorrect as it changes the intended meaning.

Option C uses Like. But It is incorrect because Like Can never be FOLLOWED by a Clause. Here, We are saying Like the one Norway has. Notice, the bold portion is a clause. This is a straight wrong rule for GMAT.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

Will the above sentence be incorrect?

I could not make the difference whether the author is trying to compare a country and Norway or presenting Norway as an example. Please help !

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has KEPT, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

You missed the word "kept". A word that is not already present in the first element of a parallel structure cannot be omitted from the second element of the structure.

In OA, 'KEPT' is also missing, though it is correct! Would you please ...

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has (KEPT), but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

What does 'one' refer to?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [1]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mahmud6 wrote:
In OA, 'KEPT' is also missing, though it is correct! Would you please ...

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has (KEPT), but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

What does 'one' refer to?
I don't remember seeing kept anywhere. In this sentence, has is used like this:

Norway has an association agreement.

It is not used like this:

Norway has kept an association agreement.

The keep is referring to the keeping of advantages, not (an) agreement.

As for one, take a look here.

AjiteshArun wrote:
Here one is referring to association agreement.

You should read with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has as with an association agreement, such as the association agreement that Norway has.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hope your preparation is going well.
There is no visible error seen in the underlined portion.
Let us try to solve this question by eliminating incorrect choices.
Choice B- It changes the intended meaning of the sentence.
Choice C -like is incorrectly used. Like is used to compare nouns and not clauses.
Choice D-As is incorrectly used. The comparison is not proper.
Choice E- And and yet are incorrectly used together.
Since we are able to eliminate all the other choices, A will serve as the right answer.
Keep practicing.
All the best!!
PythaGURUS Faculty Team
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
B changes the meaning, C uses ‘like’ where it should use ‘such as’, D makes the same mistake with ‘as’, and E uses ‘and’ where it needed to use ‘but’ (to show contrast). A is the right answer.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I had drilled down to A or C, but then chose C thinking that Like was needed to modify the agreement. I did not the comprehend the question :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V14
Send PM
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

A. A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.-

B. A country that keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy- B is wrong because that changes the meaning of sentence

C. A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, like the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy- C is wrong because you can't use like for example

D. A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. D is wrong because being a part of european country is correct not advantage of European country.

E. A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, and yet find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. E- is wrong because you can't use two cordinating words together
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Kudos
mukulgupta5 wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

A. A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
THe meaning and contrast is perfectly displayed therefore let us hang on to it

B. A country that keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
it absencce in the sentence isn't conveying the right meaning therefore out

C. A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, like the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
like isn't the right usage for comparison therefore out

D. A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
as standing alone isn't conveying the right meaning therefore out

E. A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, and yet find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
and isn't the right usage to convey contrast therefore out

Therefore IMO A
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 555 [0]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
tryambaks wrote:
(A) Correct
(B) Distorts meaning.
(C) Clause can follow Like.It has to be noun/noun phrase
(D) Comparison is not proper.
(E) Two co-ordinating conjunctions AND and YET can not sit together. Either of them should be used

Hence Answer is (A)

tryambaks Kurtosis sayantanc2k AjiteshArun abhimahna DavidTutorexamPAL ExpertsGlobal5

It seems reasoning behind eliminating choice E is incorrect here, because OA of another SC ques contains "and yet".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [1]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kushchokhani wrote:
tryambaks Kurtosis sayantanc2k AjiteshArun abhimahna DavidTutorexamPAL ExpertsGlobal5

It seems reasoning behind eliminating choice E is incorrect here, because OA of another SC ques contains "and yet".

Hi Kushchokhani,

I agree that (a) we can use yet as a conjunction, and (b) we can also use yet as an adverb after and.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]
Kudos
tryambaks wrote:
(A) Correct
(B) Distorts meaning.
(E) Two co-ordinating conjunctions AND and YET can not sit together. Either of them should be used

Hence Answer is (A)

tryambaks
Kushchokhani

I have seen some cases where 'and' and 'yet' are used together and thus I think it is acceptable to use 'and' as a conjunction before 'yet'.
I think, in this case, it's the use of 'yet' that doesn't fit well. It shifts the intended focus.

in case we use BUT, it suggests two first half and second half conveying two separate but linked messages.
However, if we use use 'YET', the sentence conveys only one message(that is in the second half) under a condition that is in the first half.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kushchokhani wrote:
tryambaks wrote:
(A) Correct
(B) Distorts meaning.

Hence Answer is (A)

Hello Kushchokhani,

We hope this finds you well.

To clarify, your reasoning here is correct; "and" and "yet" can indeed be used conjunctively.

Kudos.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Hello experts,
I had to guess between A and C, and still can't make sense of the difference between 'like' and 'such as'. Could you explain this please?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts